Reynolds Square, Savannah

4.5 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • The square
    The square
    by brkilbourne
  • John Wesley
    John Wesley
    by brkilbourne
  • Habersham House or the Pink House Restaurant
    Habersham House or the Pink House...
    by brkilbourne
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

    Georgia hears about the Declaration of Independenc

    by rexvaughan Written Jun 12, 2005

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On August 10, 1776 the Declaration of Independence was first read to Georgians in a house beside this square. It is named Reynolds Square in honor of the first Royal Governor of Georgia.

    In the center of the square is this statue of the Rev John Wesley who accompanied Oglethorpe from England. Wesley was one of the first rectors of Christ Church in Savannah and the founder of Methodism. While Wesley was great in many ways, his stay in Savannah was less than stellar. According to local legend he became unpopular with his parishoners becausee he walked around recording the "sins" they were committing and then reported them to the congregation on Sunday. He also had an unsuccessful romance with a Miss Sophy Hopkey and at one point refused her the Eucharist. But he went back to England and seems to have gotten his act together.

    John Wesley
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • GUYON's Profile Photo

    Reynolds Square

    by GUYON Written Aug 6, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Mapped out in 1734 as Lower New Square, the square was renamed for John Reynolds, first Royal Governor of Georgia.

    A statue was erected in 1979, for John Wesley who founded the Baptist Church (look at the brass plate below).

    Reynolds Square One of the square tenant : a squirrel John Wesley's statue Brass plate Savannah birthplace of Georgia
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • apbeaches's Profile Photo

    Reynolds' Square

    by apbeaches Written Feb 2, 2014

    Lower New Square was laid out in 1734 and was later renamed for Capt. John Reynolds, governor of Georgia in the mid-1750s. The square contains a bronze statue by Marshall Daugherty honoring John Wesley, founder of Methodism. Wesley spent most of his life in England but undertook a mission to Savannah (1735–1738), during which time he founded the first Sunday school in America. The statue was installed in 1969 on the spot where Wesley's home is believed to have stood. The statue is intended to show Wesley preaching out-of-doors as he did when leading services for Native Americans, a practice which angered church elders who believed that the Gospel should only be preached inside the church building.Reynolds Square was the site of the Filature, which housed silkworms as part of an early—and unsuccessful—attempt to establish a silk industry in the Georgia colony.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Savannah

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

37 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Reynolds Square
Show Prices
2.0 out of 5 stars
1 Review
1.8 miles away
Show Prices
3.5 out of 5 stars
1 Review
2.2 miles away
Show Prices

View all Savannah hotels