Savannah Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Savannah

• fleemur's Profile Photo

Have fun but act smart.

by fleemur Updated Jul 13, 2014

Downtown Savannah is great fun, but there is crime here. It is safest to stay with a group of people and stick to the well-lit, patrolled neighborhoods. Have fun, but don't become that annoying drunken tourist and become a target. For the most part, if you're in a group and not acting irresponsibly, you will be fine. Take a haunted tour if you want to see the more run-down areas. Crime rate data shows that murder and rape rates were almost double the national average, but keep in mind that with a small population, translates into 14 and 20, respectively. There is poverty here, and certain neighborhoods, like Louisville Rd/Magazine Ave, have 75% of the residents living below the poverty level.

Neighborhood crime stats - http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ga/savannah/crime/
    Neighborhood poverty stats - http://www.city-data.com/poverty/poverty

BTW, postlarval chiggers are generally found in habitats of litter, soil and fallen Spanish moss, showing preference for decomposing tree trunks, lower temps and higher humidity. They are not found in vertebrate nests or underneath tree-bark and, contrary to mainstream belief, they are not found on hanging Spanish moss.

Whitaker Jr, John O., and Carol Ruckdeschel. "Spanish Moss, the Unfinished Chigger Story." Southeastern Naturalist 9.1 (2010): 85-94.
    JENKINS, DALE W. "Trombiculid mites affecting man I. Bionomics with reference to epidemiology in the United States." American Journal of Epidemiology 48.1 (1948): 22-35.
    Lathia, Bhavik. "Eutrombicula alfreddugesi This scientific name is not yet recognized in our classification database."
    Lathia, Bhavik, and Ecosystem Roles. "Animal Diversity Web."

• Calm Down People...

by ColterG Written May 16, 2014

First of all, I was born and raised in GA. When I was young, I would vacation to Savannah and when I went to school there from 2007 to 2013 (yes, the Savannah College of Art and Design), I didn't experience anything worse than a homeless person asking for change or cigarettes.

It is true, Savannah has a pretty bad reputation for crime. It doesn't help that the city is run by corrupt politicians. However, because it is a major tourist destination, it's also a prime location for bad people to pray upon visitors because, they don't live there and they will never see them again. Also, they are the ones with the money, not it's citizens.

As far as the tourists go, I used to work on River Street, and let me tell you, when people come to vacation to Savannah, they trash our city( google Orange Crush Festival, and Savannah is the 3rd largest city in terms of St. Patty's Day celebrations) and are abhorrently rude to the service industry work force. You want to know why you got bad or mediocre service at a restaurant on River Street? Because those work staff have to deal with all the spoiled rotten kids, penny pinching jerks, and drunk idiots ALL DAY. Go ahead, get a job at Wet Willy's or Tuby's Tank House. I bet you wouldn't last a week dealing with all the crap tourists bring to Savannah.

I used to know some of the "palm tree leaf" crafters. Some are bad, true, but most are just trying to make a living. They're usually respectful if you are respectful to them. Don't snub them, smile and say "no thank you". It's not that hard to be social.

Here's a tip: Don't wear a ridiculous "fannypack" that you bought in 1989...

I used to live in a studio apartment in a horrible part of town (Jefferson st.), but those spots wouldn't be so horrible if the city actually gave back to the communities. The politicians don't care about the poor. The citizens don't care about changing anything. So yea, if no one cares about helping each other, and are too apathetic to give a *** about the city, then crime will still run rampant there. And what are you going to do about it as a tourist? Nothing. You'll clog up the sidewalks and try and take a picture of a statue with your Ipad.

There's another tip. Don't take pictures of the city with your stinkin' Ipad. Nothing screams "Mug Me" than someone taking a picture with a very expensive piece of technology...

I also wouldn't discourage people to stay off the beaten path. There are some fabulous local eateries hidden in different parts of the city, like Blowin' Smoke Bar-B-Q on Habersham st. I used to not tell people about them because I didn't want my favorite local places overcrowded with tourists. But now that I moved, I don't care about telling people all the cool places. But since they are terrified of homeless people, most people will never know.

If you're going to Savannah, just use common sense. Be friendly to strangers, even if you don't want to be, and nothing horrible will happen to you. Get out of your comfort zones and don't just ride the trolly for christsake.

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

Spanish Moss

by brkilbourne Updated Apr 12, 2014

Spanish Moss is really pretty on the trees. It's closest relative is the pineapple. They also harbor what we call "chiggers" or "redbugs". A tiny insect that inserts an appendage into your skin to feed on you. Stay away from it.

• Eco-Tourism

• IzabelleR's Profile Photo

guy sleeping in his car (we hope!)

by IzabelleR Written Jan 12, 2014

We saw someone come out of a car we looked in the car and saw a guy sleeping or dead just be careful lock your car roll up the windows and go to your next destination it was in front of the park witch I think is the biggest square just be aware and be safe

• National/State Park

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Be careful of tourist trap restaurants.

by Pawtuxet Written Sep 22, 2012

We thought we had found a good restaurant...right along the River Street with nice views of the waterfront activity. Well some of that was true. The service was so bad I thought my son was going to pay for our drinks and leave. The food was ordinary at best... the management and staff were lax and unaware of their shortcomings.
    Enough said.

Address: Water Street

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1f7b9/bc309/2/#ixzz27DWegxb7

• Be Careful at Night!

by tfrank7532 Written May 2, 2011

While most of the historic district is pretty safe day or night, if you go off the beaten path please stay alert! We walked a lot around Bay Street and River Street at night and never felt unsafe, but we noticed on less busy streets we didn't feel as safe. Treat Savannah like you'd treat any city and you'll be fine.

• More dangerous than meets the eye...

by tracker1312 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Part III: Driving through is fine though, just make sure your doors are locked and if you were unlucky enough to break down have a cell phone handy to call the police. Basically, if you have no reason, avoid Montgomery St. If you're going to points south of the city, take Abercorn or Habersham St. They are much safer. Even MLK is safer than Montgomery St. and it's only one block over. I had a friend who lived right off Montgomery and he came home one night to police all over the place and a dead body on his neighbor's porch.

Another really shady spot is at the corner of Henry and East Broad. Another Time Saver, another really shady area. In fact most of East Broad is kinda shady. I would avoid it all together, especially south of Gaston St. There's no reason for a tourist to be over there anyway.

It's also illegal to be in the squares late at night and I've heard that the police will tell you to get out of them. Also, note that it's illegal to ride a bike through the squares and the police will give you $116 ticket if they see you.

The one area that I think is pretty safe at night is River Street because there's a ton of bars there, and lots of tourists and cops.

Considering Savannah's size, there is a LOT of crime. And the problem is that it's difficult to define areas because it's everywhere. One side of a block will have a multi-million dollar mansion and there will be a dilapitated house two doors down. I wouldn't avoid Savannah, I love it, but I'd definitely be wary about going around at night, even with a group. Savannah is not safe and that's why the school has so much security. We have guards posted at every building on campus and roving patrols that go throughout the city.

Basically use your head. If you see bars on the windows of say, the beauty parlor, you know you're probably not in a very good area and should probably leave, quickly.

• Seniors

• Bonaventure Cemetary, dont be a victim!

by briogio Written Sep 21, 2010

It is very easy to get caught up being a tourist in Savannah, GA. While looking through the magnificent cemeteries, beware. We were told to put our purses in the trunk of our car. We did just that, when we left the car, we locked it. At some point while we were out of view of the car, the alarm went off. We were the only ones around, so thinking I tripped the panic alarm, I reset it.
    I walked to the car a few minutes later and sure enough, the trunk was popped and purses gone.

Dont be a victim in the remote cemeteries. Dont take ANY valuables with you. Keep it on your person. It was a great city to visit, but don't let your guard down, even for a second.

• Photography

• mommadeo's Profile Photo

Savannah Ga "not all it's cracked up to be"

by mommadeo Written Mar 3, 2010

Our adult son took a job in savannah, about one year ago. WHAT AN EYE OPENER…..
    The crime rate is NO JOKE. If you’re a SCAD student or thinking of attending you better
    re-think! The chances of somebody beating the *** out of you or just killing you are too great.

They set cloths lines out for students on bikes, and when they hit it, they beat them up and steal everything.

The cobble stones streets are the least of your problems. Don’t go out after dark and stay where other people are.

Savannah has along way to go before I go back for a visit. And yes our son has had it, his looking for a new job somewhere safer.

If you need proof; look into the SCAD student killed December 14, 2009, in the 100 block of Congress lane. The police didn’t have any answers for his family either…
    The MOMMA

• Disabilities
    • Women's Travel

• Talmadge Bridge Northbound Exit (rt 17)

by rtcivic Updated Jun 2, 2009

The Talmadge Bridge is beautiful but very poorly designed for traffic- especially the exits at the ends of the bridge. The North side exit to the Convention center area in South Carolina is particularly ridiculous. While declining at a grade towards a leftward chicane kink the right lane is phased out into a right turn only lane. Such a set-up is barely acceptable on a regular street with a low speed limit- let alone a bridge with no run off and hard barriers designed to prevent plunging into the water. Someone obviously recognized the danger and have signs posted all across the bridge- but it is a set-up for nasty accidents and ALWAYS expect to be cut off by someone in the right lane who fails to heed the signs whenever you cross at speed. It is akin to an improvised exit-merge you would find in a construction zone and clearly corners were cut during construction of this segment.

During heavy traffic times this counter-intuitive design is the source of extremely heavy and unnecessary back-ups. The Garmin and web based maps programs generally direct you to cross on the 95 bridge...not the 16-17 Talmadge. It is more poorly designed than the old "Hillside Strangler" of Chicago fame- and considerably more hazardous in every way.

• marieshaw's Profile Photo

parking

by marieshaw Written Apr 5, 2009

parking downtown is real hard to find.
    When you find a meter to put money in to park, it's for a short time only.
    They have built a few new parking garages which is your best bet so you don't have to keep running and loading your meter with coins.
    We paid $2.00 per hour in the parking garage.

• April1985's Profile Photo

Dont Touch the trees !

by April1985 Updated Mar 26, 2008

While on a tour through savannah, one of the women asked if she could take some of the mossy stuff hanging from the tree's because when anyone thinks of savannah georgia, thats what people think of ! However, our tour guide let us know how dangerous that stuff really is . If you have heard of Chiggers, you deffinatly want to stay away. Chiggers are the baby version of what is called a harvest mite . They look like ticks, only they are red, have 8 legs , and in order for them to become a full grown up harvest mite, they have to drink/eat blood. that is where you come in, just like ticks, they eat/drink blood. they itch like crazy, and they just dont stop ( for about a week that is ) . If you think you have come in contact with Chiggers, go home , take your clothes off and rub your self with alchohol. When i was little, I remember being attacked by some in south jersey - and i put clear nail pollish on the bites (it works , trust me ) but anyways ,if your in savannah GA , please, leave the moss alone ! (for your own saftey , and to preserve the signature savannah feel )

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Watch your step!

by Pawtuxet Written Jan 19, 2008

Altho some might say it's a bit creepy walking the streets of Savannah at night... I didn't feel at all unsafe while I was there. There is an eerie feeling about it tho.
    One danger I did feel was in my footing on their sidewalks. I did a fair amount of walking and I tend to be looking at every tree, house and garden along the way. You must beware of the the sidewalks as you step. The old bricks and blue stones are often heaved from an underground tree root and it could cause you to go bump in the night! or even the day. I'm one who manages to trip over my own toes sometimes..so maybe I noticed it more.

• jenp057's Profile Photo

A few general warnings...

by jenp057 Updated Jul 14, 2007

* Try to avoid bums who sell "palm leaf roses" (they can be very persistent! I saw someone hit a tourist with one because he wouldn't buy it.)

* Avoid "bum square" (the square west of City Market)

* Car theft is a growing crime - lock your doors and don't park somewhere you don't feel safe in.

* Be careful on the stairs going down to River St. - they're very steep! There is an elevator (and rest rooms!) from Bay St. to River St. at the River St. Visitors Center (next to the Hyatt).

* Be careful walking on the cobblestones on River St. - especially in heels!

• Barbie2138's Profile Photo

Honk! Honk!

by Barbie2138 Written Jul 8, 2007

The tourists in Savannah seem to walk around in a daze. They step off curbs oblivious to traffic. While the natives seem to make up their traffic rules as they amble on at a snail's pace behind the wheel. Check your road rage at the exit ramp on the interstate. Savannah drivers and traffic will challenge your patience. It's best to keep a cool head and know where you're going.

Instant Answers: Savannah

Comments

Savannah Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Savannah warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Savannah sightseeing.