Tybee Island Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Tybee Island

• brkilbourne's Profile Photo

North Beach Grill: North Beach

by brkilbourne Written Nov 2, 2014

2nd time visiting the North Beach Grill. Big crowd because of Tybee 5k race that started nearby. Band playing, people enjoying themselves. Service was OK considering how jammed they where.
    Not a great menu. I would call it a step above bar food as far as selection goes but every thing we had was pretty good.

Favorite Dish: Hamburger

• Azonie's Profile Photo

The Tango: This place is a MUST visit place!

by Azonie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Oh wow, how can I describe everything that is good about the Tango..Absolutely EVERYTHING! The ambiance, the food, the service, the FOOD! Everything is great at the Tango..Sadly they don't have a website yet but they SHOULD..The Tango has dishes from about 10 or 12 different countries on its menu..That's not to say that they have an extensive menu, they don't, but what they do have is out of this world! If you really want to enjoy an evening at Tango make reservations and be prepared to just relax and spend a couple of hours or so enjoying the appetizers, the drinks, the entree's and THEN Dessert..You simply MUST try it all..But, be prepared to spend about 125.00 or so once the evening is over, that is IF you go for the full monty..Which is what we did for about 3 nights, not all in a row though. :-) It is SOOOOO worth it and more..The prices are actually very fair for the quality of food and service that you get but everything adds up after a bit.

Believe me Tybee doesn't have a high quantity of quality places to choose from and the Tango is THE nicest place there..There are a few other "nice" places but the Tango beats them all hands down.

It's kind of casual but dress up anyway. :-) It's that type of place.

Favorite Dish: I think it was called Shrimp Collumbo..Not sure but it was EXCELLENT!!!

I was just informed that the Tango now HAS a website!

I've listed it below.

Edited 8-4-05

Inside the Tango

• deaglos's Profile Photo

The Crab Shack: Best seafood in a while

by deaglos Written Oct 8, 2009

Such a wonderful place, the girls also loved it. The have a nice moat area filled with live gators for people to feed. The patio area is pet friendly (so pup got to eat with us) and there are many cats running around that are all well fed.

Favorite Dish: Everything.

Our plate for 2 Mommy and Ginger eating Gator moat Patio area One of many cats
    • Festivals
    • Travel with Pets

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Sundae Cafe: Excellent food

by 807Wheaton Updated Sep 21, 2009

We popped in here for lunch and saw that they had a special. We each got something different; I got the pork chops, rice and green beans, my husband got the meatloaf and potatoes and green beans. There were two huge pork chops on my plate when it arrived. They were golden fried and absolutely delicious and presented beautifully. Cornbread was included in the meal. Everything we had was excellent. The special was $6.98. We did not order anything to drink.
    This place is #1 on tripadvisor - we got lucky.
    We ate here another day; this time we had the grilled chicken salad with fresh bread. We decided to split this, as we could have split the lunch we had the day before. Usually I'm disappointed with chicken salads, but this was great.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the pork chops!

Cozy seating area Modest Exterior Dining area
    • Eco-Tourism

• kattylynn's Profile Photo

The Crab Shack: It Might Make You Crabby

by kattylynn Written Apr 27, 2009

We decided to go out to dinner and left around 7 in the evening. We had to drive a good 30 minutes to make it out to The Crab Shack. We missed the sign the first time and had to turn around to get back to it. As we drove down the road towards the restaurant, we noticed the massive amounts of cars lining the road. The parking lot was crammed and not well organized. If it was a real parking lot, there wouldn't have been a need for people to park along the road.

We put our name down on the wait list, were given a buzzer, and were told it'd be about 45 minutes. We were willing to wait since we'd spent the time driving out there. A little over an hour later, after sitting outside in the humid Georgia night and being eaten by mosquitos, we got back in line to find out how much longer it would be. A woman was standing next to us told us that she'd been waiting for over an hour and a half, and there was only two people in her party, same as ours. She asked again how much longer the wait was, and they told her it'd be another 45 minutes.

We finally decided that we were tired of waiting so we turned in our buzzer and ended up going to the Ryan's next to our hotel room. That turned out to be much easier and much better.

I didn't get to try the food, so I can't review that aspect, but if you don't like waiting out in the heat or being told one time and waiting much longer, I wouldn't suggest this restaurant for your outing.

• The Sugar Shack: Lousy service and bad ice cream

by Calliehan Written May 7, 2008

The cashiers were a couple of tough-talking guys. The elderly couple in front of us had asked to taste a few things and were a little indecisive, but not extremely so. When they had finally made a selection the said--and I kid you not--"Cup, cone, or on your head?"

When it was my turn, I asked to try the Key Lime Pie ice cream and he said, "We don't really give samples" even though they had just given samples to the people in front of us and there was no one behind us. I asked "How is the Key Lime Pie ice cream?" and he said, "Just like you'd expect Key Lime Pie ice cream to be. It tastes like Key Lime Pie, but it's ice cream."

The ice cream had a strong freezer taste...and a crystally/icy texture. Rotten, rotten, rotten.

Don't waste your time.

Favorite Dish: I didn't have anything that I would recommend.

• Stingrays: Fried Fried Fried

by mo981 Written Dec 15, 2007

This is a small restaurant with a large patio. Stray cats seem to live on and around this patio strolling through the tables inside and out.

The menu is fried and steamed with a couple of items grilled but not fish. You cannot get fish grilled because there are no substitutions. The sauces were prepackaged and everything even a $16 fish meal is served on Styrofoam with a small plastic fork. Napkins are cheap paper towels on the roll. The cost of the sandwiches out weighed the taste immensely such as po'boys with no sauce, wilted lettuce, 3 oysters and an extra thick dry 8" bun.

Our server was very nice however the other 4 staff members who were just standing at hostess stand were eating Crab Claws and ignoring anyone needing help.
    With all of the great reviews I was surprised by the dumpiness of the place and service accompaniments for the cost of the meal. Actually the paper goods at any fastfood fish house in America is better than Stingrays and the prices would better.

Favorite Dish: The steamed Georgia white shrimp were great.

• Azonie's Profile Photo

The Sugar Shack.: Stay away from this place!

by Azonie Updated Aug 6, 2007

This place has a LOT of potential, unfortunately it must have lousy managment because the food is terrible and the place its self is DIRTY..It's in a good location and they have the right idea but they NEED to move into the 21st century with some cleanliness and better food..

They have an outside patio area but no view of the beach..the patio faces the road..

The guy behind the counter was friendly enough but man the food was just BAD.

I had a cheese omelette and it was THE flattest omelette in the entire history of omelettes. :-) Well it seemed that way anyway. The wheat toast wasn't really wheat either, it was that cheap white bread with caramel coloring..Blech blech and blech..What a way to cheap out on people..Yuck!

Favorite Dish: NONE

Hahaha!! I think the owner of the Sugar Shack must have seen this tip because I just got a "razzing" from someone defending it. Truly there is NOTHING to defend about the place. It's just plain crappy.

And to the yerk who posted on my page? Well DUH no I'm NOT from Savannah hence the name Azonie. Some people. Yuck.

Oh and it doesn't matter WHAT a person orders, it should ALL be good.

Just the beach.

• ChicagoHeidi's Profile Photo

Cafe Loco: Relaxing and fun!

by ChicagoHeidi Written Jul 17, 2006

Small, great atmosphere. We did not eat there, but the king crab legs looked fantastic! We were there on a Friday night to hear a band play. There's a great little bar in the back with dart boards, fuse ball table, video game machines. There is an outdoor patio with a few tables and this leads you out to a dock to go wander around.

The back of the restaurant, you can see from US-80
    • Music
    • Beer Tasting

• Uncle Bubba's: Great seafood

by Hoosierustraveler Updated Oct 30, 2005

Great location, island feel, lots of windows

Favorite Dish: Shrimp n grits! Shrimp in a cream sauce with veggies supposed to be served over grits, but it is waaaaay too good to dilute with them! Crab cakes also excellent.We were with an Elderhostel group, so was served buffet style and didn't get a chance to look at the regular menu to check prices.

• StingRays: Super grouper

by Hoosierustraveler Written Oct 29, 2005

Great crab chowder and fried grouper! Outside dining available. Small interior, only about 10 or so tables & lots of tv's! Young people would like, but us oldies enjoyed too.

Favorite Dish: Fried grouper platter was huge serving and very good. Crab chowder was extremely rich and excellent.

• Water Sports
    • Seniors

• Tybee Time: Best Frozen Drinks on the Island!

by weebrie Written Aug 29, 2005

Tybee Time is a new-ish joint directly off the beach. Their frozen drinks are great, and strong! You can take them out of the bar in a styrofoam cup and walk right back down to the beach. One of the few bars with a dartboard.

Favorite Dish: Try the frozen White Russian, or the Hurricane!

• The Crab Shack: Touristy but Great Beach Vacation Fun

by weebrie Written Aug 29, 2005

Most seating is outdoors. Alligator pit. It's kitschy, but it's great if you're looking for a classic beachy restaurant. Lovely view of Chimney Creek from the back. You can even park your boat and come up to eat! The gift shop is cute!

Favorite Dish: Get the seasoning from the gift shop and do your own shrimp boilswhen you get home! mmmm... The low country boil platters generally feed twice as many as they say they do. The "novelty" drinks are enormous, but very pricey!

• Sting Ray's: Central Location and Great Food!

by weebrie Written Aug 29, 2005

Love Sting Ray's. It's right in the center of the southern island, a great place to eat and then walk to the bars on Tybrisa. Casual, very friendly staff, reasonably priced, and the food is always great. Live entertainment there is fun, and so is just hanging out on the deck and people-watching and enjoying the ocean breeze from across the street, or cooling off inside and watching a game on the TV. We visit Sting Ray's every time we go to Tybee, without fail.

Favorite Dish: The crab balls with the dill sauce, and the crab cake sandwich are divine!!!

• AJ's Dockside: Lovely View - Food was Mediocre

by weebrie Written Aug 29, 2005

I'm hoping I was just here on an off-night. I ADORE the back river on Tybee, and while AJ's had a gorgeous view, the food was mediocre at best. I was unimpressed, to he honest. It looked like they threw the whole place together about a minute before we got there. I can appreciate that sort of shabby decor usually, but when the food is yucky it sort of turns my stomach.

Favorite Dish: I remember something with grits being nauseating. But as I said, I have heard very good things about this place. It could have been an "off-night." The view alone is worth it, so go here for drinks if nothing else!

Instant Answers: Tybee Island

Comments

Tybee Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tybee Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tybee Island sightseeing.