Know about this? Rate It!
Kipuka - Islands of green within rivers of lava
Something that a lot of people look at, but do not really see, are the untouched lengths of land that were cut off from their normal environment when lava flowed all around them.
When lava flows move downhill as rivers of lava, they frequently leave these patches or islands of ground that is unharmed but now surrounded by the lava. These areas are called kipuka.
Some very interesting plants and animals have evolved within these strange and surreal kipuka's.
- Family Travel
- National/State Park
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Baton Rouge Hotels
- Salt Point State Park Hotels
- Rochester Hotels
- De Kennemerduinen Hotels
- Munich Off The Beaten Path
- North Carolina Off The Beaten Path
- Honolulu Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Bangalore Off The Beaten Path
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Off The Beaten Path
- Asheville Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path