Helicopter Rides, Hilo

At the Hilo Airport

Road with lava flow blocking it
    Julie our pilot
    by grandmaR
  • bed and breakfast in the middle of the lava field
    bed and breakfast in the middle of the...
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Hot and Cold Lava

by grandmaR Written Sep 18, 2013
    Lava from the air

We went out on the pier to meet with our group. A black dude came into the terminal and weighed us on a scale. The rules said that if you were over 250 lbs that you would be charged extra. My grandson weighed 85 lbs - less than I had guessed (I guessed 100 lbs) and I was more than I had put down (but of course I'm usually weighing in the morning before breakfast when nude), but not over 250 lbs.

Then we got into a van and they drove us to the airport. We walked to the Blue Sky Heliocopter place and they gave us a safety briefing and handed out the little life preserver/fanny pack. I couldn't get mine on because it had been put away wrong.

We were lined up in groups - my grandson and I were in the first group - he was #3 and I was #4. Two of the others were two women from Australia, and there was also a young couple. They walked us out to our helicopter - they took me on a golf cart. It was raining and we got wet. Our pilot was Julie. The young couple sat in the back on the right side, and we sat on the left side with my grandson next to the window. Julie took off and flew toward the volcano. There were raindrops on the windows and there was a rainbow out the right side.

Because it was cloudy, we could see the red glow from the lava around the edges of the flow. We flew over the house of the man who wouldn't evacuate, and also around the edge of the crater with steam coming out. My grandson got some really good photos (he was next to the window). Then she flew over some waterfalls on the river - this part was a little rough for him as it was more bouncy and he was less interested. Julie took a photo of us with my camera, and they also had cameras in the helicopter which showed where we went and had Julie's narrative.

We got back to the airport - the sun was out but I was still a little damp around the edges from the rain earlier. I got a ride on the golf cart back to the gate. I ordered the DVD of our ride (one for him and one for me)

• Cruise
    • National/State Park

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters

by DEBBBEDB Written Apr 7, 2013

lava flows glowing red

We did the Circle of Fire helicopter tour and it was awesome. We flew right over all the glowing lava and we could really see it well because it was a cloudy day and really showed up. After we had a safety briefing, we went out to our chopper and our guide and pilot whose name was Julie. She told us about the guy that still had a house in the middle of the lava flow and showed us where the lava had blocked the road which we saw later on the ground. I wasn't as interested in the last part of the tour - it was just some waterfalls. The whole air part of the tour was about 50 minutes.

Afterward, she took our picture with our cameras.
    Eco-Star $ 273.75 internet price $ 240.90

• National/State Park
    • Cruise

• Hike to Lava

by captainadventure Written Apr 26, 2008

We did this as a young family including a 3 and 5 year old. We did everything there was to do on the Big Island over the course of 9 days and this was "hands-down" the most awesome! And it's completely free. Bring plenty of water and a torch/flashlight for the way back. The best plan is to hike before sunset, stay until it gets real dark (the lava really glows bright at that time), and then head back in the dark (most challenging part). It's amazing to experience Earth at its creation a few feet from and under your feet.

• Hiking and Walking

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Do a "DOORS OFF" Helicopter Tour Over the Volcano

by BlueCollar Updated Mar 17, 2006

The white spots near this fresh lava are people

We found Tropical Helicopters online and saw their "Feel the Heat" tour and just knew we had to try it. The only bad thing about most helicopter rides is that if there is only the two of you, you won't fly unless they sell two more seats. Our reservation was for 9:00AM and was a no-go because we were the only ones. Apparently, not many folks wanted to ride without the safety of the doors on the aircraft. So we gave them our cellphone number and took off driving towards Waipi`o Valley. As we were leaving the Waipi`o area a little after 2:00PM, they called to tell us they had other riders. We made a beeline for Hilo and got there in 45 minutes.

With the doors off, you get a completely unobstructed view. We encountered a few small rain showers but nothing bad. The down draft from the rotor keeps the rain out of the cabin. We also had a low ceiling of about 2200 feet so we weren't able to get high enough to see down into Pu`u O`o (the main vent) like we had hoped.

The fresh lava flow (the thin grey finger by the arrow) in this picture which was taken around 3:30PM had not yet crossed the road when we were down there walking around at 5:00AM (we had driven out to the end of Chain of Craters Road before sunrise).

This helicopter ride was an awesome trip that we almost didn't get to do. One bit of advice: Book helicopter tours early in your scheduled time on the island (first day?). We had friends that didn't get to go because they booked it for their last day and it rained out.

See my travel logues for more photos of the lava.

• Eco-Tourism

• KiNyA's Profile Photo

Hamakua Coast

by KiNyA Written Nov 9, 2003

Hamakua Shoreine

Travelling inland along Hamakua Coast, passing through older sugar plantation villages interspresed with new housing and dodging the huge cane-haul truck that frequently cross the highway, it is nearly impossible to see the natural drama taking place along the shoreline. Steep cascades and breath-taking vistas are best enjoyed from the air. "Hamakua i ka wakawaka," irregular and rough Hamakua, says the proverb praising the valleys and cliffs of this majestic land near Hilo.

• School Holidays

• makai's Profile Photo

Helicopter Ride!

by makai Written Aug 25, 2002

Helicopter Ride!
    The volcano goddess, Pele, is something to behold! You'll fly over the world famous Pu'u'O'o vent where lava has been erupting almost continuously since 1983. See moltan lava as you fly over surface and subterranean lava flows. Fly from the vents to the devastated towns of Royal Gardens and Kalapana near the ocean. See red hot lava hitting the sea creating clouds of steam and instant black sand beaches. Also fly over the spectacular Hilo waterfalls - all for only $99 per person!

Instant Answers: Hilo