Know about this? Rate It!
Take a Drive up the Mountain!
Want to know how to get up near the top of Hualalai (the volcano mountain above Kona)? Take Palani Road out of town (east). It winds a bit, and then straightens out. About a mile after the road gets straight (and speed limit goes up to 45 mph), look for a road on the right called Koloko Road. Go up this road several miles. It does a number of switch backs and takes you up pretty high. Eventually, you get to a dead end at a ranch. You can go a bit higher by turning around, drive a quarter mile, and taking the first right. At the end of this road, you can park.
There are beautiful fern forrests and pheasants up there. Also a grand view below of the ocean if its not cloudy and foggy.
- Adventure Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
Kailua-Kona Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Chiang Mai
- Kampong Pantai Batu Hitam Hotels
- Kampung Kuala Linggi Hotels
- Igo Hotels
- Simpang Empat Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path