Pancho & Lefty's Cantina, Kailua-Kona

3 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

Lava Flow
    by cjg1
    Tropical drinks for all..
    by cjg1
    Liz and I enjoying our drinks (2/2013)
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Pancho & Lefty's Cantina: Tasty Mai Tais & Lava Flows

by cjg1 Updated Sep 20, 2013

Pancho & Lefty's Cantina is one of the restaurant/bars located on the main street, Alii Way. The restaurant/bar is located up a set of stairs from the street. My wife and I decided to stop here for some drinks after doing some shopping. We went up the stairs and right to the bar area which has seats as well and tables surrounding. The bar area is open and over the railing is a nice view of the water and street below(this reminded me of the places on the main street in Grand Cayman). The cuisine here is Mexican fare but has some tropically inspired dishes/drinks as well.

After checking out the drink offerings; I decided on my usual Mai Tai and my wife chose a Lava Flow. Both of our drinks were served in large Hurricane glases with fruit garnish and umbrellas. My Mai Tai went down nicely; very well made, so much so that I had two of them. My wife enjoyed her Lava Flow and was happy to see that the bartender used fresh coconut milk in the drink.

This bar was a nice break from the sun. We were able to sit in the shade and enjoy the nice breeze coming from the water.

Liz and I enjoying our drinks (2/2013) Lava Flow Yum, Mai Tai Liz and her tropical drink Tropical drinks for all..

• Pancho and Lefty's: Not on Your First Visit!

by ITwyche Written Jun 23, 2007

Although it wasn't serving snakes on a plate, P & L turned our stomachs. Literally. Ready to catch a quick bite and explore the Big Island? Then, avoid the lure of the porch and bar above the "strip" in Kona. While the drinks were refreshing, they were slow to come and dirty dishes were left on the table and given to my husband and I to use. When I pointed this out to our server, it was indignantly removed, an omen for the remainder of our meal and its lingering effects.

My son was sick with an upset stomach (both ends), my husband wasn't much better (fajitas & beans). Wonder how many of those they sell? Maybe 3pm isn't the best time to go, but I had a feeling before we walked in and ignored it given the name recognition. DISAPPOINTING!!!! Avoid it, unless you like the lighting in your bathroom.

Instant Answers: Kailua-Kona