Lava Rock Cafe, Hawaii (Big Island)

Lava Rock Cafe
    by Jim_Eliason
  • Lava Rock Cafe
    by Lamb_Chop
    saimin
    by Phalaenopsis03
  • Lava Rock Cafe: Only if you're desperate.

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Nov 1, 2009
    saimin

With a limited array of dining options in and around Volcanoes National Park, we came here out of convenience to grab a bite to eat after having driven hours from the Kailua-Kona side of the island. All I could say about the food here is "yucky!" I ordered the saimin while Hal got a dinner special, ribs with mashed potatoes and vegetables. Ramen soup would have been better than what I had and Hal's plate was simply gross. His mashed potatoes came out of a box (dry and flaky); his vegetables were still frozen (a broccoli or two); and his ribs were... I don't even wanna guess what they butchered to get that meat, but it too was dry and icky. Well, with me describing the food at Lava Rock Cafe as yucky, gross, and icky, I hope I convinced you that the food here really does suck. A much better option, which we discovered the following evening is Thai Thai Restaurant next door. Food a billion times better!

Favorite Dish: Nothing at all!

Note: Tip originally written on Oct. 29 for Oct. 2009 visit to the Big Island.

• tahoesasha's Profile Photo

Lava Rock Cafe: Gotta get to the Lava Rock Cafe

by tahoesasha Updated Nov 23, 2004

After our 5 hour flight and 40 mile drive through sunset to the park we were ready for some GRUB! And what appears before our eyes but the flickering pink Lava Rock Cafe sign! It was a group crack-up. We were seated immediately at a cozy picnic bench - with candlelight - and ordered various fish & rice or chicken & rice combinations, with soda, beer and cake & pie for dessert. Rueben, apparently the owner's cousin or brother, strummed his acoustic guitar at the open mic, combining original songs with acoustic classics. It could not have been a better welcome to Hawaii. The vibe that night enveloped us with the pride, pain, warmth, sensuous beauty and understanding of the island, and followed us for the whole 10 days.

• Lamb_Chop's Profile Photo

Lava Rock Cafe: Great Food

by Lamb_Chop Updated Jun 17, 2003

This restaurant is were the locals come to eat, the food is really good at reasonable prices. Th desserts are fantastic. If you check out the website, it has the menu list.

Favorite Dish: The service is not exactly what we call the fastest but when it does arrive. It's so good, worth waiting for.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Lava Rock Cafe: local cafe

by Jim_Eliason Updated Mar 25, 2007

Lava Rock Cafe

This cafe in the town of Volcano, a few miles outside of Volcanoes National Park is great place to get a bite to eat before heading back into the park for more hiking.

Favorite Dish: Mahi Mahi plate lunch

Instant Answers: Hawaii (Big Island)

Comments

View all Hawaii (Big Island) hotels