Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant & Fish Market, Kauai

Hanalei Dolphin store front
  • Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant & Fish Market: Hanalei's Finest

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at the resort where we were staying, so we tried it for our first dinner in Kauai. The restaurant was nice and the food was good, but frankly I thought it a just a bit over-rated and over-priced. Our table looked out over a small Japanese-style garden, but we felt it fell short of it's potential considering the awesome beauty of the surrounding area. The service was good and we enjoyed talking with the friendly couple at the table next to ours.

In addition to the restaurant and fish market, the Dolphin Center contains a couple of art galleries and about three other shops offering jewelry and clothing.

Favorite Dish: Since this is the "Dolphin Center," I ordered the grilled Dolphin. No, I didn't eat Flipper. This was the Dolphin fish, not the sea mammal. They also call the dolphin fish mahi mahi, which sounds a bit more tasty. It was dry but OK, although I felt the serving was a bit small for the high price they charged.

The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant View of the Garden from Our Table Karen Dresses her Salad

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

Hanalei Dolphin: Restaurant and Fish Market

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Oct 31, 2009

A North Shore institution, Hal's local hoalie friend took us here for dinner. With the Hanalei River meandering by and taro fields just across the street, the Dolphin restaurant was the perfect setting for a delicious seafood dinner. I ordered a fish entree (forgot which fish) and easily cleaned up my plate... so good!

Note: Tip originally written on Oct. 23 for Oct. 2009 visit to Kauai.

Favorite Dish: Fresh fish!

• Beaches

• 2rs's Profile Photo

Hanalei mixed plate: Platelunch in Hanalei

by 2rs Written Apr 16, 2006

Local food (no laulau). Low priced tasty platelunches. Has a few tables and benches on the front porch.

Favorite Dish: I had a mixed plate (what else, when the place is called mixed plate) with pork 'n cabage, ginger chicken and noodles. Huge serving, as a propper platelunch should be.

• 2rs's Profile Photo

The Hanalei Dolphin: North shore seafood

by 2rs Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice reastaurant in idylic Hanalei on the north shore. Tables outside by the Hanalei river gives a nice setting for a good meal.

Favorite Dish: Their flash fired poke and ahi burger was great.

Ahi flash fried poke Ahi burger Hanalei Dolphin store front