Places to eat in Kauai

Monicos Taqueria
    Mango Margarita

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kauai

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Gaylord's at Kilohana: Would not be my first pick but....

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

From the appearance, I thought "What a nice place". Well, let me tell you. You MUST make reservations. If you walk in, even if you see empty tables, they will make you wait. The reason behind this is because they have several retail stores selling over priced souvenirs and jewelry they want you to buy. Once seated for dinner, I ordered a seared Ahi tuna entree which they told me would be cooked medium rare - it was well done. The ambience was great but I did not leave there satisfied.

Favorite Dish: Did not have a favorite dish.

Waiting for my dinner Some evening ritual performance

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Bubba's Burger: Claimed to be the best burger in town, but not!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

Had a burger, pepsi, frings (fries and onion rings). Not that great. The burger was better than McDonalds but not better than Carl's Jr. I think our very own In and Out Burgers in SoCal are much better!

Favorite Dish: Did not have one. But I did buy a tank top because it said Kauai on it.

Health Food Sucks is what the sign says

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Duane's Ono Char Burger: Next time I hope to have a burger!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

I searched out for the best burger joint on Kauai. Here on VT and other search engines raved about Duane's Ono Char Burger. So, it was on my "to do" list. Unfortunately, my first dilema was finding it. Hard to see, it's tucked away in a corner of an itsy bitsy shopping strip (like two businesses). Once we found it, we were extremely disappointed that they were undergoing some major remodeling - installing new equipment and such. They told us come back in two weeks! Well, that ain't gonna happen but next time I visit Kauai, that will be the first thing I do.

Favorite Dish: Not sure yet.

Pupu means appetizers

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

This is like a fast food joint but better! The pork lau lau is very good. If you get a plate, it just means your adding a scoop of rice and maybe some lomi lomi (see below). These are small buildings on the side of the road or sometimes in a small shopping strip. Don't expect to find tables and chairs. But that doesn't matter, park yourself in front of the beach and have your pupu. This is an inexpensive way to have a meal and experience the Hawaiian culture.

Favorite Dish: Lomi Lomi - salmon is cold & diced, tomatoes and onion. Poke - raw ahi (tuna). Lau lau - salt butterfish, beef, chicken or pork wrapped in taro or ti leaves and then steamed. Some other appetizers not sure what they are called - diced up cooked octopus with onions and squid with onions and maybe some kelp? Not sure.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Beach House: Great Food! Great Views!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

What a beautiful location this restaurant has. I don't think you can put a building closer to the beach than this one is. No windows from floor to ceiling, you can just walk right on out from the dining area to the beach. A nice grassy area to stand on if you want those gorgeous sunset pictures. I really enjoyed dining here.

Favorite Dish: Shared the Watermelon Salad to start. It was very good! I had the Kauai Duet - OMG, this was fantastic! crab topped fish (the fish is whatever happens to be purchased that day) with seared scallops! Yum! My boyfriend had the Macadamia Nut Crusted Island Catch which is also whatever fish that happens to be purchased that day. I had a bite - it was also very good!

Kauai Duet Me enjoying the moment
    • Luxury Travel

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Ono Char Burgers: Best burgers ever!!

by RickinDutch Updated Mar 28, 2012

A local institution, this road side burger stand has been in business for generations and is a favorite of locals and visitors alike. It is a simple stand with a few tables under an awning with chickens clucking at your feet - but the burgers are just stunning!

We were on the island for two weeks and ate here five times. Large all beef burgers in a variety of ways (mushroom, cheese, fried onions, etc.). Berry shakes are very good as well. Servings are so large we would eat lunch there and not need/want dinner!

It is just north of Anahola off all by itself on the seaward side of the road. Keep an eye out for celebrities - we saw David Crosby one day.

Favorite Dish: Cheddar burger, fries and a marion berry shake.

Ono Charburger

• girladventure's Profile Photo

Polynesia Cafe - Hanalei Bay: Gourmet Food-Paper Plate Price!!

by girladventure Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great after hike/swim food. Multi-cultural menu (Pacific Rim, American, Mexican).

Favorite Dish: I like the Hawaiian mix plate (shredded pork, ahi, lomi lomi, cabbage, rice). After a 6 hour hike with only GU and Gatorade this plate came as a reward.

Hawaiian Mix Plate

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant & Fish Market: Hanalei's Finest

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at the resort where we were staying, so we tried it for our first dinner in Kauai. The restaurant was nice and the food was good, but frankly I thought it a just a bit over-rated and over-priced. Our table looked out over a small Japanese-style garden, but we felt it fell short of it's potential considering the awesome beauty of the surrounding area. The service was good and we enjoyed talking with the friendly couple at the table next to ours.

In addition to the restaurant and fish market, the Dolphin Center contains a couple of art galleries and about three other shops offering jewelry and clothing.

Favorite Dish: Since this is the "Dolphin Center," I ordered the grilled Dolphin. No, I didn't eat Flipper. This was the Dolphin fish, not the sea mammal. They also call the dolphin fish mahi mahi, which sounds a bit more tasty. It was dry but OK, although I felt the serving was a bit small for the high price they charged.

The Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant View of the Garden from Our Table Karen Dresses her Salad

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Dolphin Restaurant: next to the river

by mindcrime Written Nov 29, 2009

If you drive north to Hanalei area there is a fish restaurant right next to the river. It’s called the DOLPHIN restaurant and the great thing about it is the lanai next to the calm river where you can see people with canoe passing by!

It is open daily 11.30-22.00 (the fish market 10.00-19.00) and you can just choose from appetizers (seafood chowder with shrimps, calamari and clams in a white sauce, stuffed mushrooms with garlic, butter bread crumbs and cheese etc) or go for sandwiches with fresh fish, salads, or other plates.

Dolphin restaurant

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

Hanalei Dolphin: Restaurant and Fish Market

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Oct 31, 2009

A North Shore institution, Hal's local hoalie friend took us here for dinner. With the Hanalei River meandering by and taro fields just across the street, the Dolphin restaurant was the perfect setting for a delicious seafood dinner. I ordered a fish entree (forgot which fish) and easily cleaned up my plate... so good!

Note: Tip originally written on Oct. 23 for Oct. 2009 visit to Kauai.

Favorite Dish: Fresh fish!

• Beaches

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Hule Hule BBQ: Best Chicken Ever!

by Etoile2B Written Jul 27, 2009

As we were driving up the coast we discovered a Hule Hule Chicken BBQ along the side of the road. Of course we had to stop and check it out. They had created a large, make-shift barbeque along the side of the road. Two strong, burly men were responsible for cooking the chicken over the open flames, occasionally using their brute strength to flip the birds. It was quite a sight to behold. We couldn’t resist trying this traditional Hawaiian “street food” because I am nothing if not a sucker for some good street food. The chicken was succulent and the flavors exploded on my tongue. It was the best darn chicken I’ve ever had. It was so good, in fact, we came back for more the next day.

Half a chicken was (I’m guessing) $7 or $8 US.

Favorite Dish: Hule Hule chicken is what they do. That's it. And it's good!

Yummy Hule Hule Chicken on the BBQ Flipping the birds Manning the BBQ Manning the BBQ

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Olympic Cafe: Good eats in Kapaa

by keida84 Updated Jun 4, 2009

What a combination--Great food and great views. Located upstairs which overlooks the Ocean on one side of the restaurant and Kuhio Street on the other. Excellent service coupled along with excellent food made this restaurant one we had to go back to before we left the island of Kauai.

Favorite Dish: First off, if you are ordering lunch or dinner you must try the Hummus appetizer. The pita bread was warm and fresh--a great compliment to the hummus itself.

You can be very brave and try the chocolate sandwich, my husband ever the chocolate fanatic just had to try it! Ugh too much chocolate for me!

If you like fish then the Olympic Cafe makes "ono" (great tasting) fish tacos which comes with a grilled banana which was delectable.

The chicken tenders were great and so was the Avocado, Tomato, bacon sandwhich was was accompanied by a half of a very sweet and delicious pappya.

But what really gave my husband cause for pause was the size of the coffee mug. A generous tankard of "liquid consciousness" as he likes to call it. Refills were free too!

The Olympic Cafe is open for breakfast too.

Fish tacos with grilled banana Now that is a cup of coffee! The chocolate sandwich
    • Beaches

• Kauaigrl00's Profile Photo

Keoki's Paradise: Don't miss the Hula Pie

by Kauaigrl00 Written Jun 1, 2009

The food and ambience around this restaurant are fantastic. You can sit outside surrounded by coconut trees and torches

Favorite Dish: My favorite is any seafood they have. They have different ways of preparing the food but I prefer the simply grilled. After dinner Hula Pie is a must with a good cup of coffee

Hula Pie

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

OKI Dinner: Great local eats

by Travel2write Written Oct 19, 2008

Great dinner to catch a bite prior to flying out. Service isn't the fastest, however the pancakes are just awesome.

Favorite Dish: Macadamine nut banana pancakes! Now if your in a hurry, go to Mcdonalds. However if you relax and get a seat out on the deck, you can enjoy a nice morning breakfast, read the paper and have some real good eats.

The OKI Dinner
    • Study Abroad

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Beach House Restaurant: Our Most Romantic Meal on Kauai

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Aug 26, 2008

When Karen's daughter, Laura, and her new husband, Brian, visited Kauai on their honeymoon in June they came back raving about the Beach House Restaurant. So we planned one of our days on the island to be at the Beach House about an hour before sunset for dinner. The place was packed, and reservations are strongly recommended. Our table was one back from the oceanfront but still afforded a splendid view of the beach and the sunset through the coconut palms. The service was attentive and the food was the best we had on Kauai. We considered it the most romantic evening of our nine-day vacation.

Favorite Dish: We ordered two different seafood dishes and shared. Both were excellent. Since it was splurge night we topped it off with the Molten Chocolate Desire. Yummy!

Beach House Restaurant View from the Beach Beach House Restaurant Karen at the Entrance to Beach House Restaurant Sunset from our Table at Beach House Restaurant

Kauai Hotels

4 Hotels
Lehua Hotels
3 Reviews - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Kauai

Comments

Kauai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kauai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kauai sightseeing.
Map of Kauai