Places to eat in Kauai

Mango Margarita

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kauai

Pizza Hanalei: Not very good pizza

by AVG2319 Written May 17, 2007

I really didn't want to eat here, but my husband insisted because the other restaurant had a long line. I was not impressed with this pizza. The crust was very thin almost tasted like unleavened bread and overall the pizza was not very tasty. This was the only "bad" experience I had with food while visiting the island. I made my husband stop at Taco bell afterwards.

Kalaheo Steakhouse: Great Steakhouse

by AVG2319 Written May 17, 2007

We went here on recommendation of our helicopter pilot. He told us to get here early, so we did! They are closed on Mondays, but open for dinner all other nights. The restaurant is nothing special to look at, but the steaks were good- so "Ono" delicious for the steaks and ouch for the steep price!

Our helicopter pilot told us "they open at 6 and they often run out of cow by 8!"

Tidepools: Atmosphere & Seafood

by AVG2319 Updated May 17, 2007

This restaurant is special for one reason- Atmosphere! We chose this restaurant for our anniversary dinner for this reason alone. It is part of the Grand Hyatt hotel in Poipu Beach area. Tidepools is outside dining though, except for the open air thatched huts, your table either overlooks the meandering Koi pond or a beautiful waterfall. The lighting is low just candles and torches- has a very romantic atmosphere and the food was good too. I would recommend for a special occasion or special night out!

We had seared Opah (smoked moonfish) and Oven roasted Ono (wahoo fish)

• AVG2319's Profile Photo

Puka Dog: Hot Dog Hawaiian Style!

by AVG2319 Updated May 17, 2007

While I was a little bit leery of eating here. I am not that crazy for hot dogs and the name of the restaurant-well it doesn't sound appetizing. May help a little if you know Puka means "hole", or maybe not. It is a little hot dog hut located in Poipu Shopping center and the line gets quite long at lunch time, so come a little early.
    Nonetheless, we thought the dog was rather tasty. a Puka dog is a polish sausage or a veggie dog with a special lemony garlic sauce and your choice of Hawaiian relish. We had Kauai Special, which is a Mango Relish (tasty) and a Na Pali Cruise which is a Star Fruit relish (tasty as well) and fresh lemonade (we watched them squeeze the lemons)

While probably the most expensive "hotdog" I've eaten, it was equally the best one I've ever tasted, so for this we say "Ono" Delicious for lunch and something different.

• anticarley's Profile Photo

Puka Dog: Don't Forget the Puka Dog!

by anticarley Written Mar 3, 2007

Delicious! You've got to stop by the Poipu Village Shopping Center. It was so good, I scarfed mine and stole Kenny's leftovers.

This small stand is a one-of-a-kind experience that was completely the brain child of the owners/operators.

Order your dog either as a polish sausage or a veggie dog, smother it in your choice of tropical relish and garlic lemon secret sauce. While you're eating, take a seat at one of the benches and watch a hula dance.

Favorite Dish: Polish sausage with mango, papaya, and banana relish.

borrowed from mono211.com

• cchiuching's Profile Photo

Shrimp station: Shrimp Station

by cchiuching Written Jan 28, 2007

shrimp in cajun sauce good.
    shrimp in garlic sauce good.
    i wanna try coconut shrimp next time since other users said coconut shrimp very good, though normally i don't want deep fried shrimp.

i went there twice but the second time i reached it by 6pm...it closed!

size not big...two scoop of rice...just enough for one person

Favorite Dish: shrimp in cajun sauce

shrimp station

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Waimea Brewing Company: The Westernmost Brewpub in the World

by AKtravelers Written Dec 26, 2006

If you're on the south shore of Kaua'i, a great place to stop for lunch or dinner is the Waimea Bewing Company between Waimea and Kekaha -- the world's westernmost brewpub according to their sign (I haven't had the chance to verify this but I'm anxious to wander around the South Pacific looking -- anyone want to donate to the cause?). Not only is the freshly-brewed beer top notch, but the food is really well-prepared, well-presented and tasty. For lunch, try the Hawaiian burger. For dinner, the fish excels -- especially the ahi.
    I have eaten there four times in my last two visits for two reasons: it was excellent and they allowed me to have my dog, carmen, join me on the outside deck. Unfortunately, during my last visit a short stout Nazi waitress ordered Carmen off the deck because of some alleged Health Department regulations. So, as Carmen laid on the sidewalk less than three feet from me, I ate lunch while two cats and several chickens meandered about the deck. This made absolutely NO SENSE to me that my certified clean, rabies free therapy dog had to stay off the deck while I caught avian flu during my meal or some other disease passed on by the sneezes of customers allergic to cats. Am I missing something here?!
    Still, despite Carmen's rude reception, I highly recommend the place. Carmen was placated when I let her sprint after chickens on the lawns in the back.

Carmen outside the Waimea Brewing company
    • Beer Tasting

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Waimea Brewing Company: Drink Some Ale

by BlueCollar Updated Nov 22, 2006

The food here is your typical American restaurant-type with all the standard offerings. None of the food was really outstandingly great nor was anything terribly horrible. It's just a good, regular restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Where they do excel is in the ales they brew right behind the bar. If you sit at the bar, you will have a great view through the window to the brewroom with its huge vats and assocciated piping.

They have several different brews. I only tasted three: Wai‘ale‘ale Ale, Na Pali Pale Ale, and Lilikoi Light Ale.

All three tasted good but I was really stuck on their Lilikoi Light Ale, which they do not even list on their website. Its texture reminded me of Corona, which is a very light bodied lager. However, the difference is that the Lilikoi Light Ale is just that - an ALE. Ales are usually heavy in body and bolder in taste because they are brewed at room temperature.

As the name suggests, this brew is flavored with lilikoi (that's Hawai‘ian for passion fruit). Combined with the light body, this subtle flavor addition makes the perfect touch in reminding you that you are on a warm-weathered island in paradise.

My first impression was that it was a lager poured by mistake. So I questioned the bartender and he reassured me that it was what I ordered. He then went on to explain the proccess used by their brewmaster to create such a wonderful brew.

I complimented their effort and ordered another.

Plenty of outdoor seating. I never asked how they qualified that statement. Eating and drinking while another day fades The last of the light in paradise fades away

Gaylord's at Kilohana: Hawaiian breakfast buffet - plantation-style

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 3, 2006

This is a wonderful place off of Highway 50 just west of Lihue on the north side of the road. It is a plantation-style restaurant in an old restored home that was built in 1935. It was transformed into a restaurant in 1986. They have scrumptious breakfast buffets that won't bust your wallet & great lunches and dinners. There's usually a woman who sings traditional Hawaiian folk songs and plays her ukelele during the breakfast buffet.

Favorite Dish: Everything

Hawaiian local performing during breakfast Me outside of Gaylord's Restaurant - 2006 Gaylord's Enjoying a Hawaiian breakfast at Gaylord's - 2006 Outside Gaylord's- beautiful landscaping & scenery

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo

Shave Ice Paradise: Cool treat in paradise!

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 3, 2006

There are many shave ice stands on the island. We just happened to stop at this one in Hanalei after having lunch at Bubba's Burgers. It is located right next door. Shave ice is an island delicacy. Basically, it's finely shaved ice flavored with whatever flavor(s) you want. The "island" thing to do is have one of these served over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!!!

Shave Ice Paradise - 2006 Shave ice on vanilla ice cream - YUM!!!

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo

Bubba's Burgers: Fun junk food!!

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 3, 2006

Bubba's Burgers is a fun place to get your greasy food fix. They have great burgers (although a bit small for the price) & yummy "frings." There are all kinds of goofy bumper stickers on the wall and my favorite..."Bubba refuses to serve any burger costing less than a can of dog food" above the grill. There are also many framed pictures hanging on the wall of famous people who have visited Bubba's. I got a good closeup of Bill Clinton with the staff in Hanalei...ironically...he was there exactly one year to the day before we were there.

Favorite Dish: Teriyaki burger with frings.

The 1st half of Bubba's motto - Hanalei - 2006 2nd half of Bubba's motto - Hanalei - 2006 Bill Clinton with Bubba's staff in 2005

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo

Brick Oven Pizza: Best pizza on Kaua'i!!!

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 3, 2006

If you want GREAT pizza, you have to try Brick Oven Pizza. This place is really fun. They have delicious pizzas that you can have made with whole wheat crust dusted with garlic butter. We had one of these made with local salami and green onions. It was DELICIOUS!!! They also have license plates from all over hanging throughout the restaurant. If you want great pizza, this is Kaua'i's best option.

Favorite Dish: We only had one...but it was damn good...wheat crust pizza with salami and green onions.

Brick Oven Pizza - 2006 License plates hanging up throughout restaurant A cool mural on the wall at the restaurant

Tip Top Cafe: Try the local grinds - and save some $$$

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 3, 2006

If you want a great place to eat where the locals go, try the Tip Top Motel & Cafe/Bakery. This place is great!! They have an outstanding oxtail soup and delicious macadamia nut pancakes that can't be missed!! It's a great way to mix with the locals and save some money!

Favorite Dish: Macadamia nut pancakes with Coconut syrup!

Tip Top Motel & Cafe/Bakery - 2006 You have to try the macadamia nut pancakes!! A yummy potpourri of local cuisine

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo

Duke's Kaua'i: You must try the HULA PIE!!!

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 2, 2006

You've got to try the Hula Pie at Duke's. It's worth the experience all by itself!!! This is a HUGE hunk of sweet-tooth love! It's basically a bunch of vanilla ice cream on an oreo cookie-like crust covered in chocolate sauce and crushed macadamia nuts...then topped with whipped cream and hot fudge. Get ready to bounce off the walls!!

Hula Pie - a dessert not to be missed!

Duke's at Marriott Kaua'i: Great place for a romantic dinner

by GlobalMatt Written Oct 2, 2006

Duke's is a great restaurant with an excellent ambiance and reputation. Located at the Kauai Marriott, Duke's offers great steaks, salads, local fare, & awesome seafood selections. It's a bit pricy...as to be expected...but well worth it for a special occasion.

Favorite Dish: I had the Opah fish (moonfish), which was absolutely delicious. One thing NOT TO BE MISSED is the HULA PIE!!!!! You MUST save room for this sinful dessert!

Duke's restaurant in Kaua'i - 2006 Our anniversary dinner at Duke's - 2006

2 Reviews - 8 Photos
Kekaha Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Kauai

Comments

Kauai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kauai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kauai sightseeing.
Map of Kauai