Wal Mart, Kauai

Know about this?

yes, im a sucker for the state fish
    by April1985
  • mom getting excited at the original dirt bag
    mom getting excited at the original dirt...
    by April1985
  • April1985's Profile Photo

Souevener shopping... or tourist trap?

by April1985 Written Jan 16, 2007

My family and I decided to go on a one day tour of Kaua'i. The tour is another story! The souvenere shops, were like set ups. Our tour guide would tell us these crazy stories of shells, and how unique they are, and the red dirt shirts and everything, and we would end up stoping at these rest stops and tourist stores... the prices would be way over priced. I think I saw one shell necklace, which was beautiful, dont get me wrong, but it was priced for $1200.00 ! I think that is outrageous ! They people who work in these stores, probably know the tour bus driver, so they know when a fresh shipment of tourists are coming, and they folllow you around the store, and try to haggle you into buying something you would never think of buying... be careful...and be smart

Unique Suggestions: We didnt really have a choice, we kind of had to go in. We would much rather be seeing lush mountain sides and waterfalls... but, we were stuck here until all the people on the bus were done being ripped off. Well, if you can't beat them- join them. Buy something that you wont regret later, like a red dirt shirt, or bag or soemthing. They are a little pricy, but why not... We got suckered into it, and they are kinda kool.

Fun Alternatives: Dont feel like going inside these tourist traps ? If you dont have to , dont ! Or just use the restroom and leave . They dont make you buy something to use the restrooms, and they are supprizingly very clean! When I walked in, there was someone in there cleaning it... i think they knew we were coming! How nice of them?

yes, im a sucker for the state fish mom getting excited at the original dirt bag

• Don't get your souvenirs at fancy shops

by Annapet Written Oct 5, 2004

Wal-Mart has a store in Lihu'e. Stop by to get your PASALUBONGS (gifts) here. Beach wear, macadamia nuts, coffee, anything Hawaiian...

Foodland (a grocery store chain) also has a souvenir department.

Instant Answers: Kauai