Fun things to do in Lanai

Most Viewed Things to Do in Lanai

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Shark's Bay

by briantravelman Written Jan 12, 2014

On the south side of the island, just south of Hulopoe Beach, lies Shark's Bay. The bay is surrounded on both sides by sheer cliffs. There is a nice beach there, but I have no idea how to get to it. We saw a guy walking, than he disappeared behind some rocks, and next thing we knew, he was on the beach. I have no idea how he did it. I was looking for a path down, and there was no safe one. I'm a pretty good climber, and even I couldn't have made it down there, so I have no idea how he did it, and I'm not about to find out why it's called "Shark's Bay". It's not worth breaking your back to get to the beach. Just enjoy the spectacular views from the top.
    If you're lucky, you might get to see a seal or turtle on the beach.

Shark's Bay, Lanai Cliffs At Shark's Bay
    • Eco-Tourism

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Sweetheart Rock

by briantravelman Updated Jan 12, 2014

This 80 ft. high offshore rock is known as Sweetheart Rock, or Pu'u Pehe in the local Hawaiian langauge. This sheer rock island is located right on the edge of Shark's Bay, right near Hulopoe Beach, on Lanai's south shore, and is one of the island's most recognizable landmarks. Ferries traveling from Maui, are greeted by the site of this famous landmark.
    Pu'u Pehe is also the sight of one of Hawaii's most enduring legends.
    The story goes that a ravishing young princess from Maui, was captured by a young warrior from Lanai. He took her as his wife and brought her back to his home island. He was so stricken with her beauty that he was afraid to let other men see her, and thus he confined the princess to a sea cave near the rock.
    One day, as the warrior was away, the weather suddenly changed drastically, and the raging surf began to pound this side of the island. The warrior rushed back to the cave, but it was too late, his beloved Pu'u Pehe had drowned. Heartbroken, he retrieved her body and, with the help of the gods, climbed the steep rock island, where he buried her in a tomb. Overcome with grief, the warrior than leapt off the rock to his death.
    There is actually a small tomb-like structure on top of the island, which would proof that the legend is true. However, archeologists who have excavated the site said there are no traces of human remains. However, archeologists have found the remains of several birds, which leads them to believe that it might have been a bird heiau, constructed by ancient Hawaiians. Even so, a lot people still choose to believe in the "Legend of Sweetheart Rock".
    Today, you can only view the tiny rock island from an overlook at Shark's Bay. How the ancient Hawaiians got up there is a mystery.

Because of its name, the area is a popular spot for couples, but when were there the weather was bad, so we had the place to ourselves.

Sweetheart Rock
    • Eco-Tourism

Shipwreck Beach

by malianrob Written Aug 5, 2009

Another interesting beach is Shipwreck Beach or Kaiolohia. This isnt a good place to swim or snorkel because the water is too rough but its a nice place to explore. There is also a ship that was intentionally grounded here in the 1940's. It is the World War II Liberty. Its makes for a curious sight here. It can be alittle difficult getting to this beach too. The road is paved for part of the way then its a very bumpy, rough dirt and rock road.
    The beach around here is long but very narrow especially compared to Polihua Beach.
    I didnt get to see the petroglyphs here but it would have been nice to check out.

Hulopo'e Beach

by malianrob Written Aug 5, 2009

This beach is beautiful too. It is also accessible by walking from Manele Bay which is where the ferry drops you off and picks you up from. This is a great place to hang out at the beach and do nothing or go snorkeling, swimming or body surfing. My son was trying to body surf here and at this time of year which is in July the waves were big enough to have a good time but small enough for a beginner. There is also a grassy park area to have your picnics at and there are facilities here.
    This beach is also easy to get to in car because the road here is paved which is not the case at most other beaches in Lana'i.
    Although i didnt see any, i was told that this is a great place to see spinner dolphins. They cruise around the Bay and this beach a few times a week.
    Spinner dolphins are the smallest of the Hawaiian dolphins and they travel in large numbers so I bet it would be a sight to see. They say there could be at least 200 of them swimming together.
    Even though i didnt see dolphins I really liked this neach and so did the kids. There were people here, some locals, some tourist, but the beach was not packed at all. Definitley not like in Waikiki.

Polihua Beach

by malianrob Written Aug 4, 2009

If you stay on the same road that brought you to Garden of the Gods you continue for another 6 miles and you will hit Polihua Beach. As you pass the Garden of the Gods the road to this beach is super bumpy. You definitley need a jeep or some type of 4x4. At first it feels as though you will never get there then you reach a bunch of trees and you park there or you will get trapped in the sand if you go further.
    This beach is so beautiful. It was secluded until we got there and then some locals got there and went to the other side.
    The sand is not that soft white sand that you see on other beaches its a little harder and when the winds pick up it can even hurt. We experienced this first hand. Other than that the beach is amazing with its long stretch of beach. They say its the longest and widest on the island.
    We did get in the water but really it was just to wet our feet and legs alittle bit. This beach isnt good for swimming or surfing at because of the very strong undertow and the currents are very strong. I was also told that there are sharks here because they hurt the turtles in this area.
    This is also a great spot for whale watching. In the past this is where turtles would come to lay their eggs. Apparently the turtles dont do that anymore in the numbers that they used to.
    Be sure if you come you know that there are no bath rooms or showers here. There are absolutley no facilities here.
    Regardless off all this I am glad I came here. It was so peaceful and tranquil. I loved it. I hated the road coming in though.

Garden of the Gods - Keahikawelo

by malianrob Updated Aug 2, 2009

I wasnt sure what to expect coming here. The guide book i was reading said its called the Garden of the Gods but could easily be called the tantrum of the Gods. It wasnt too far a drive from Lana'i City so I thought Why not.
    We can go through the Garden of the Gods and head to the beach in that area.
    Getting here wasnt difficult even though the road is not paved. We came on a jeep so we were ok. We also asked about the current, or recent weather conditions to make sure that there had not been any recent heavy rains. The road is a dirt road but it was really good during the time we went. Sometimes it got a little bumpy but for the most part it was ok.
    I have to say there wasnt a whole lot to see here. my kids asked "What are we doing here?" The rock formations werent that interesting for them I guess.
    They say that the winds created this canyon and carved out these strangely formed rocks. I would say this area looks more like a desert than a tropical island.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

Manele Beach

by triplehelix Written May 7, 2006

Situated on the east coast of the island, Manele Beach is a popular local hangout because... really... there isn't anywhere else to go unless you are going to Maui via ferry. Spend a day here and have a cook out with friends and family. It makes for a nice end to a long day trekking the island.

come back totally spent

by whitneyone Written May 15, 2005

I understand the later in the day you return to Maui, the choppier the seas. Keep that in mind. we took the 4:30 back and it was under control, but pretty rough.
    After a day in the sun (and we hear, and believe that it's hotter in Lanai than in Maui) each of us napped against each other on the outside deck of the ferry.
    Never felt a chill

Toasty

Snorkel More

by whitneyone Written May 15, 2005

down the path to the beach, look towards the left side of the cove. You will see stairs. this is NOT where we entered, but the finest snorkeling is in that area. It's a bit of a trek from the path over there, so we put our stuff just a little further than the camping area and it was an easy swim.
    If there are a lot of surfers there, the snorkeling will not be at it's best. But there was only one guy out there so we went.
    BEAUTIFUL CHANNELS in the coral. Just watch for a slight current in shallow spots which bring you uncomfortably close to the tops of the coral. Easy enough to swim out of if you feel uneasy.

Manele Bay Beach

The shuttle from Maui to Lanai

by whitneyone Written May 15, 2005

When the ferry drops you off, try to find the complimentry shuttle to Manale Bay.
    There are 5 dollar shuttles to the hotel and back, and 10 dollar shuttles which will take you into town (we took that and our driver forget to drop us off...not alot happeing there, didn't even realize it was the town, and we TOLD him we needed to be told where to get off)
    However, what we learned, is that if you even EAT at Manele Bay, you are now a guest, and at your disposal are shuttles on demand! Up to the golf course for lunch (wonderful) up to the hotel, down to the beach. No schedule to follow. They are there for YOU. on YOUR schedule.
    Love to know if that is true. After our encouter with the paid shuttle driver, our own shuttle was taken care of. These people know how to cater!

I wish i golfed
    • Spa and Resort

Snorkel!!

by whitneyone Written May 15, 2005

The Bay at Manele has some wonderful snorkeling.
    Shuttle dropped us off at the lobby which was astounding. We walked through the pool area and down the path to the bay. Lovely.

Manele Bay beach
    • Spa and Resort

Lanai Hotels

Top Lanai Hotels

Lanai City Hotels
17 Reviews - 35 Photos

Instant Answers: Lanai

Comments

Lanai Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lanai things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lanai sightseeing.
Map of Lanai