Water Sports, Maui

Know about this? Rate It!

Ray off of Makena Beach
  • Water Sports
    Shore Diving
  • klasher's Profile Photo

SCUBA on the cheap

by klasher Written Aug 7, 2006

Favorite thing: There are so many fantastic places with easy access to shore dive. Visit a site such as shorediving.com and get the skinny on access points, ease of access and dive spots. For $20 you can rent gear at a local shop and head out. Since most of the shore dives are not very deep, your O2 lasts FOREVER!

Shore Diving Shore Dive in front of the Maui Price-Makena Beach Ray off of Makena Beach

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by sswagner Written Feb 11, 2005

Favorite thing: Maui is a great place to snorkel. Molokini crater just off the shore is probably the most popular spot. You will likely need to book a tour boat to get there unless you have your own boat. We were short on time, so we did not have time to take this option.

The good news is that the island has a lot of good places to snorkel along the shoreline. That means you can park the car and put on the mask and fins as you enter the water. There was one little cove near Polo Beach that worked out well. There was hardly anyone there, and I could see very clearly in the water. The reef has a lot of live coral, some sea urchins, and some red spiky creature I could not identify. There were fish swimming around as well.

Anyone who likes to collect pieces of coral would like combing the beach since there was a lot of it washed up on the shore.

Fondest memory: Swimming around a live coral reef in somewhat of a secluded place.

Coral reef creatures
    • Beaches

• amambaw's Profile Photo

Whale-watching

by amambaw Written Feb 8, 2005

Favorite thing: During the winter months, Maui become a giant whale love motel. Dozens (maybe hundreds, I'm not sure on the numbers!) of whales come to Maui and the other Hawaiian islands to mate. Whale sightings are very common during this period. We saw whales everyday we were there!

Humback Whale
    • Whale Watching

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Whale Songs courtesy of the great Humpbacks.

by seamandrew Written Jun 1, 2003

Favorite thing: Our visit to Maui took place between February and March. This was in the middle of the whale season. Those beautiful whales made Maui an unforgettable experience.

Fondest memory: While Liz and I were snorkeling in Maui, we took a free drive to about 5-7 meters below the surface. At that depth, the whale songs were so audible. It was as if I was listening to a CD of their songs. A truly amazing experience!

Take the free dive, it's worth it.
    • Beaches
    • Whale Watching

• BrendaLehr's Profile Photo

Go snorkeling or diving or...

by BrendaLehr Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go snorkeling or diving or something that gets you into the ocean and looking at that whole other world going on under the surface.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was sitting on the beach in my bikini, despite the fact that my body has had three children grow inside of it and it reflects that fact. Like I said everybody is kick back so nobody ran me off the beach.

Instant Answers: Maui