Kaanapali Travel Guide

by supune

Kaanapali Things to Do

• SassyMcPeaches's Profile Photo

by SassyMcPeaches Updated Mar 2, 2010

The vendor we used for ziplining above West Maui was Skyline EcoAdventures. Now that I've done it, I can say they run a decent operation and those that are interested should give it a try. But they don't provide much info beforehand, and that uncertainty didn't help my massive anxiety. I'm not one of those that got an amazing rush and don't plan to do it again, but I'm glad I accomplished it and have that incredible experience!

1. Wear good walking shoes for hiking around on the west hills of Maui, as well as running up the landing platforms of each zip line.
    2. Don't wear anything you don't want to be covered in red dirt afterward, because you WILL be covered in red dirt afterward.
    3. Lines start relatively short and grow in length throughout the excursion, from 100 feet all the way up to 1,000 feet.
    4. Skyline will provide a filled water bottle, in addition to lunch at a beautiful lookout.
    5. The heights that you zip over are never ridiculously high, but you do have to run and jump off a platform on multiple occasions to gain momentum to make it all the way across to the other side. This was the scariest part for me.
    6. There is a small base on the mountain and a brief stop at portable toilets after lunch; otherwise, there is no available bathroom for several hours.
    7. The guides are fun, but they like to tease those of us that are clearly terrified!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• SassyMcPeaches's Profile Photo

by SassyMcPeaches Written Mar 2, 2010

We hired Maui Magic for our catarmaran snorkel trip, and we loved them! You can tell they enjoy their job, even when torment/teasing us about being uncomfortable with sea life. They even managed to get me, terrified of deep water, out snorkeling by myself above the reef for a good ten minutes. We saw fish, coral reef, sea turtles, the most recent lava flow on Maui and teeny Molokini. It was my favorite of the activities we did in Hawaii.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Water Sports
    • Eco-Tourism

by CaliHopkins Written Jan 17, 2007

My husband had a great time parasailing :) You get loaded onto a boat with about 8 to 10 others and take your turn being strapped in and flying 40 to 80 feet in the air! From what I understand, it is worth the extra cost for the higher flight-- and most people do go for it.

Kaanapali Hotels

Kaanapali Restaurants

• deannatravel's Profile Photo

by deannatravel Updated Jan 13, 2006

Do you reallly love hamburgers? Then Johnies is your place. No view or ambience. Located in the basement of a building at the entrance to the Kaanapali resort, this place is mostly frequented by locales. Thats because it has great burgers at reasonable prices. Oh and good fries too!! For more info on other restaurants in Hawaii go to our website.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers, What Else?

Kaanapali Transportation

by CaliHopkins Written Jan 17, 2007

You definately need a car because you will want to take the road to Hana ~ but believe the rental places when they say you want to upgrade just a bit. The itty bitty economy car without power steering will just not do. Not necessary or practical to get a large truck or SUV either as half the places you go are only big enough for a larger car. Go with a midsize -- you'll be happy you did. We rented a Malibu while we were there. Took that car through some places it should not have been able to go, and it did just fine!

Kaanapali Warnings and Dangers

by CaliHopkins Written Jan 17, 2007

One thing I did notice is that the drop off on the beach is deep....you can be wading in water at your knee deep, and in a step you can be over your waist. Great if you love the water, but watch and warn the little ones who cant swim well.

Kaanapali Off The Beaten Path

• WestMaui's Profile Photo

by WestMaui Written Aug 11, 2009

It's free and it's very captivating - the Ka'anapali Historical Trail & Legends Tour. Offered every Tuesday morning in Ka'anapali Beach Resort and led by a resort concierge who was born and raised on Maui, this historical walking tour is well worth the time and lots of fun. You hear stories of ancient Hawaiian chiefs, warrior battles, legends of demi-gods, and the good 'ole Plantation days. Learn chants and Hawaiian greetings and talk story with your guide. There are 10 site monuments/tour stops. It starts on the Ka'anapali Trolley and finishes with a beach walk.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Kaanapali

Comments

Kaanapali Travel Guide
Map of Kaanapali