Kaupo Travel Guide

Kaupo Things to Do

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    St. Joseph Church 3 more images

by briantravelman Written Jan 12, 2014

This is the beautiful historic St. Joseph Church, located on the Piilani Highway, near the tiny village of Kaupo, Maui. This beautiful Spanish style church was built from stone, in the late 19th century, and is larger than most of the other churches found on the island. The church actually had to be restored by volunteers, because it was falling apart. There are actually some small ruins located to the right of the church, which you can explore.
    One of my favorite things about traveling is visiting historic structures, so I really liked seeing all the historic churches on the island, because they are so unique and so different from the ones on the mainland. Out of all the churches that we visited, this one was my favorite. What I loved the most about it is the Spanish style. The architecture was probably inspired by the island’s Portuguese settlers. Unfortunately, it was closed. I can only imagine what it would’ve looked like inside.
    Best part was, this church is in the middle of nowhere. Because of its remote location, we had the place to ourselves, so I could explore, and let my imagination go back in time. The places I have to myself, are the places I enjoy the most.
    This church was definitely my favorite. Not your typical Hawaiian church. A must for anyone traveling this way.

You have to park your car on the side of the road, go through a gate, and walk a few yards to get to the church.

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Kaupo

Comments

Kaupo Travel Guide
Map of Kaupo