Lighthouse, Lahaina

by malianrob
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Old Lahaina Lighthouse

by cjg1 Updated Mar 12, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Lahaina Harbour from a cruise ship. As soon as we hit the Pier we saw the Old Lahian Lighthouse. Lahaina was once a whaling port and the sailors needed help with navigating into the harbor, so the Lighthouse was constructed.

The original structure was wood but was changed to concrete later on in 1905. This lighthouse was the first ever on the Pacific Coast.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

More on the Historical Walking trip: the lighthous

by malianrob Written Sep 1, 2009

The old Lahaina Lighthouse is also near the Banyan tree park. Across from the park you will see the Pioneer Inn and in front of that going towards the ocean is the lighthouse. It was commissioned by King Kamehameha III in 1840.
    Its not fancy or particularly beautiful but it has alot of history. The original lamp that was used to light the lighthouse was a whale oil lamp.
    The original lighthouse was much smaller and was used to guide the whale boats in. It was only 9 ft high. It was then rebuilt to 26 feet high in 1866.
    The interesting thing about this lighthouse is that it was the first lighthouse ever built in the Hawaiian Islands and its also older than the lighthouses we have in the Pacific Coast.
    We didnt go inside just stood around it. I love checking out lighthouses, so another one to add to my scrap book.

Instant Answers: Lahaina