Surfing, Lahaina

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Surfing for Everyone!!!

by Marisola Written Jan 21, 2006

Surfer Boy!

I didn't think I wanted to try surfing, but I'm so glad I did!!! It was great! I didn't even fall once!!!

First, the instructor teaches you what to do on the beach. He shows you where to lie on the board and how to begin standing up. Next, he takes you into the shallow water and holds the board for you, while you practice. Finally, you paddle out on your board, he pushes you on a wave, and you do what you've learned.

I was very nervous the first time, but I did what I had learned and I succeeded.
    Try it. You'll like it!

• Study Abroad

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Surf's Up and Down...in Lahaina!

by wilocrek Updated Jul 22, 2008

The intense waves of Lahaina make surfing and body boarding a up and down experience! The ups of course are when you actually are able to get up on the board and surf and the downs are when the waves crash down on top of you sending you into a downward spiral of humility. This of course coming from a amateur surfer, I'm sure the hard core surfer's have a different opinion of the difficulty of surfing in Lahaina. I found it a great place to learn how to surf as the waves were big enough to present a challenge but not big enough to have to worry about drowning. Plus the hard core surfers hang out at a beach on the west side of Lahaina where the waves crash up against the rocks. Might want to avoid that beach...

• SassyMcPeaches's Profile Photo

Goofy Foot Surf School

by SassyMcPeaches Written Mar 2, 2010

Another vendor we used was Goofy Foot Surf School in Lahaina. I'd never even touched a surf board before, but I'd always wanted to try. And even though I really don't have a future in surfing, they did keep their word that I would ride a wave. I actually rode part or all of four waves, and I was the one that had to take a break! Their photographer snagged some fun shots of all of us, and the instructor was very patient with a newbie like me.

• Water Sports