Leilani's, Maui

Cracker and Parmesean Dusted Local Fish
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Leilani's: Delicious Beachside Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Dec 30, 2014

We were visited Maui the day of my 40th Birthday My wife had planned for us to have dinner here at Leilani's and had reservations for the start of the dinner hour. We had a long day of shopping, exploring and hanging out with some of my friends who live locally.

The restaurant is located in the Whalers Village overlooking the beach. The restaurant has two floors; the lower level is their casual dining venue(Beach side Grill) and the upper level is for dinner. We arrived a little early for our reservation but we shown to our table after a five minute wait. Our table was upstairs, overlooking the beach and water below. Absolutely an amazing view of Ka'anapali Beach with both Molokai and Lanai clearly in the distance. At this point I thought that even if the food is crap, the view is worth it.

Our waiter handed us menus(dinner and drink) for us to peruse. As we mulled over the dinner offerings; a basket of warm bread and butter was brought to the table. The menu has a nice selection of food; meat dishes, chicken, seafood and local fish. I was impressed by their use of locally grown and caught ingredients. Our waiter appeared again and we placed our order. I chose the Cracker and Parmesan Dusted Local Fish(can't remember the name of the fish) for my entree with the Iceberg Wedge for an appetizer. Liz chose the Mushroom Ravioli as an appetizer and the Twin Lobster Tails as her entree. As for drinks; I stuck with an unsweetened ice tea(we had way too many drinks at the Hula Grill next door earlier in the day). My wife chose a Mango Iced tea which had fresh Mango puree(nice touch).

As we waited for our appetizers we had some of that delicious warm bread and watched the boats out on the water. Absolutely beautiful view; even if the food was crap(which it wasn't), I'd come here for the view(fortunately the food was excellent). Our appetizers arrived and I was very happy with my choice. The blue cheese dressing was very creamy with chunks of blue cheese throughout. The thick sliced bacon chunks were very good on top. My wife loved her mushroom ravioli. The filling was very good and the sauce was tasty...I only had a bite so she could enjoy the rest herself.

Our entrees arrived about ten minutes after the table was cleared of our appetizers. My fish looked very good but paled in comparison to the bright red, large Lobster Tails on my wife's plate. My fish was good, I enjoyed the flavor but not exactly what I expected. My wife on the other hand was thrilled with her choice....after having a bite of her Lobster I knew why. The Lobster meat was very sweet and delicious. Needless to say, the Lobster was gone very quickly off her plate. Our waiter came by and asked how the meal was; we of course said we hated it(kidding around) with empty plates before us and a big smile on our faces.

As for dessert; their simply wasn't room. Even though it was my Birthday Dinner I couldn't manage another bite and I had already had three birthday cakes already on the trip. I truly enjoyed this meal and loved the casual island vibe. The view is amazing and provided a perfect backdrop for such a special dinner. I will definitely return again.

Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese & Bacon Cracker and Parmesean Dusted Local Fish Mango Iced Tea Mushroom Ravioli with Parmesan Shavings Oven Roasted Twin Lobster Tails

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Leilani's On The Beach: Picturesque Dining

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 23, 2014

Located in the Whalers Village shopping center on the beach. Dine outside with the ocean views and you just have to order one of those tropical, sweet cocktails with the umbrella in it. I wasn't especially hungry for lunch so I ordered a curried chicken salad which was quite tasty. The presentation was really pretty. My boyfriend enjoyed his Panko Breaded Fish & Chips.

Curried Chicken Salad Some kind of Mango Cocktail. Yum! Panko Breaded Fish & Chips
    • Beaches

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Leilani's: The view is nice..

by Mairo21 Written Jun 9, 2006

The location and view of the ocean is superb, the service is average, but the food was just alright for the price. Overall, the restaurant smelled of sour fruits and alcohol. I would recommend dining at their sister restaurant...The Hula Grill. It is adjacent to Leilani's and definitely way better ambience, food for your money, and service. It is a popular hangout for people who have gotten off of work, need to unwind, and have a couple of beers.

Favorite Dish: None.