Places to eat in Maui

Grand Marnier French Toast

Most Viewed Restaurants in Maui

Leilani's: Delicious Beachside Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Mar 26, 2014

We were visited Maui the day of my 40th Birthday My wife had planned for us to have dinner here at Leilani's and had reservations for the start of the dinner hour. We had a long day of shopping, exploring and hanging out with some of my friends who live locally.

The restaurant is located in the Whalers Village overlooking the beach. The restaurant has two floors; the lower level is their casual dining venue(Beachside Grill) and the upper level is for dinner. We arrived a little early for our reservation but we shown to our table after a five minute wait. Our table was upstairs, overlooking the beach and water below. Absolutely an amazing view of Ka'anapali Beach with both Molokai and Lanai clearly in the distance. At this point I thought that even if the food is crap, the view is worth it.

Our waiter handed us menus(dinner and drink) for us to peruse. As we mulled over the dinner offerings; a basket of warm bread and butter was brough to the table. The menu has a nice selection of food; meat dishes, chicken, seafood and local fish. I was impressed by their use of locally grown and caught ingredients. Our waiter appeared again and we placed our order. I chose the Cracker and Parmesean Dusted Local Fish(can't remember the name of the fish) for my entree with the Iceberg Wedge for an appetizer. Liz chose the Mushroom Ravioli as an appetizer and the Twin Lobster Tails as her entree. As for drinks; I stuck with an unsweetened ice tea(we had way too many drinks at the Hula Grill next door earlier in the day). My wife chose a Mango Iced tea which had fresh Mango puree(nice touch).

As we waited for our appetizers we had some of that delicious warm bread and watched the boats out on the water. Absolutely beautiful view; even if the food was crap(which it wasn't), I'd come here for the view(fortunately the food was excellent). Our appetizers arrived and I was very happy with my choice. The blue cheese dressing was very creamy with chunks of blue cheese throughout. The thick sliced bacon chunks were very good on top. My wife loved her mushroom ravioli. The filling was very good and the sauce was tasty...I only had a bite so she could enjoy the rest herself.

Our entrees arrived about ten minutes after the table was cleared of our appetizers. My fish looked very good but paled in comparison to the bright red, large Lobster Tails on my wife's plate. My fish was good, I enjoyed the flavor but not exactly what I expected. My wife on the other hand was thrilled with her choice....after having a bite of her Lobster I knew why. The Lobster meat was very sweet and delicious. Needless to say, the Lobster was gone very quickly off her plate. Our waiter came by and asked how the meal was; we of course said we hated it(kidding around) with empty plates before us and a big smile on our faces.

As for dessert; their simply wasn't room. Even though it was my Birthday Dinner I couldn't manage another bite and I had already had three birthday cakes already on the trip. I truly enjoyed this meal and loved the casual island vibe. The view is amazing and provided a perfect backdrop for such a special dinner. I will defiintely return again.

Longhi's: Great Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated Nov 27, 2013

My wife and I were exploring Front Street in Old Town Lahaina and wanted to get some breakfast. My wife had a few places in mind and one of them was Longhi's. We came upon the restaurant and decided to have our morning meal here after checking out their posted menu.

The restaurant is quite deceiving from the outside, size wise. Inside is two large dining areas with more dining space upstairs. I was happy that we were able to get the last table by the large open windows facing the street and ocean beyond. Our waitress(Liz) brought over our menus and asked if we wanted any drinks. I chose an unsweetened iced tea and my wife stuck with ice water.

The breakfast menu had a nice variety of egg dishes, pancakes, french toast and breakfast pastry to chose from. After mulling over my choices I decided to have their Grand Marnier French Toast with real Vermont Maple Syrup(no fake stuff..yuck) with a side order of their thick cut bacon. My wife ordered a Cinnamon Bun and a side of their home fried potatoes.

I was surprised at how busy the place was and mostly with locals judging by the conversations we overheard. Our food arrived about ten minutes after we ordered and looked delicious. My French Toast was very god indded; nicely done with a good sweet flavor. I really enjoyed the thick cut bacon; great flavor and cooked to my liking. My wife's Cinnamon Bun astounded us with its large size(not sure why there was butter in a cup with it...guess its a mystery). That Cinnamon Bun definitely hit the spot with my wife, she loves all things cinnamon. The Home fried potatoes were very good; I helped her finish up the portion.

I was really happy with our choice here. The food quality was excellent, the service was friendly and the view was quite nice. I'd definitely return here for another meal.

**They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.**
    Breakfast: 7:30 am to 11:30 am
    Lunch: 11:45 am to 4:30 pm
    Dinner: 4:45 pm to 9:30 pm

Favorite Dish: The French Toast is very good. I would have it again in a heart beat. The bread was sweet and tasty and cooked just right with a crispy edge to it. It was also good to have Real Maple Syrup; so many places serve that gross fake maple flavored syrup. The potatoes and bacon were also very nice and cooked properly.

HUMU: Excellent dinner!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

We received a $40 credit to be used during dinner at the Humuhumunkunkuapua'a (yes, that is why it's shortened to Humu), so during our last night in Maui we decided to have a nice dinner here.

The restaurant is quite beautiful with thatched roofs with wooden tables overlooking a lagoon.

BRB

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Grand Dinning Room (at Grand Wailea): Breakfast to start the day!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

We were given free breakfast daily as a Hilton Honors Diamond member here at the Grand Dining room. We had a choice of either buffet or picking something from the menu. I personally will always choose to pick fresh made from the menu then a buffet.

We were seated outside in a nice table with shade over looking the pool grounds and the pacific ocean. It's a great way to start your morning. Menu's were handed and we perused it while waiting for our drink orders. The menu is nice with the usual breakfast items with island dash of course.

We settled in nicely and a waitress came over with coffee and asked if we wanted anything to drink. I decided on coffee as well as some water, Ferni ordered his orange juice.

I looked at the menu and decide on macadamia nut pancakes, I love them. Ferni decided on French toast.

Service was excellent and so was the service. The location is quite beautiful as well and gave us a nice start to our day.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the macadamia nut pancakes and Ferni ordered the French toast. Our meal was fresh and yummy. Sorry, didn't notice the prices of the dishes, but on average in a resort breakfast is around $20-$30.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Bistro Molikini: Pizza poolside and late lunch too!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

Located inside the Grand Wailea is Bistro Molokini, which serves lunch and dinner daily. With a nice extensive menu which you can order poolside or at the restaurant.

The menu is California and island inspired with some favorites like nachos, onion rings, calamari, shrimp, salads, sandwiches, wraps, sliders, salads, and burgers.

Our first day at the resort we decided to order something to pick on poolside and ordered a pepperoni pizza and some frozen drinks. The second visit we had a late lunch before our flight back home. I ordered the calamari, Ferni had the pepperon pizza again.

Food was fresh and quite good. We would definitely eat here again on another visit.

There is a daily drink specials for $10 from 2-3, 8-9.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the pepperoni pizza twice and it was quite yummy, with gooey cheese. I also ordered the calamari which was very good.

Prices are above average with the calamari with chipolte sauce being $18 and the pizza $20. Resort prices, what do you expect :(

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Longhi's: Really good food and atmosphere

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

We ate here twice during our first trip, twice during our second and once during our third trip to Maui, that's how good the food and service is. This restuarnt is located at the Shops at Wailea just a few steps away from our hotel.

The restaurant has a really nice open airy feeling to it with some nice tables inside the terraza and tables and booths outside the terraza. There is a really nice bar as well (we did come here that same night for a few drinks).

We were doing some shopping at the Wailea Shops early in the evening when we realized it was time to stop and get something to eat. We walked around looking for a nice place to sit and grab a meal and decided to stop.

As we approached the front we were asked if we had reservations and we told them we didn't. The guy in the front told us to wait a few minutes and that we would have us seated promptly. We did wait more than 5 minutes when we were seated at a nice table in a terraza like area.

The service here was was excellent, our waiter was friendly and very attentive and the "manager/owner" (not sure, he didn't actually tell us) came over to us to personally greet us (he did this to all the tables), which I found to be a really nice touch. The restaurant is not cheap, but not too expensive either. The lunch and dinner menu is quite extensive with some really nice salad, sandwiches, seafood and pasta selections.

We looked over the menu and Ferni decided to have a burger, which they are known for. I was looking for something from the sea, but nothing too filling, so I went with the shrimp of scallops marinara.

As you are waiting for your order to come out the waiter brings over a nice dish full of doughy bread (almost like a pizza) which had a nice light sauce on them. We didn't wait long for our meal to arrive.

Our meals were excellent and we really enjoyed this place so much that we decided to come back the next day for a nice breakfast.

For Breakfast - We arrived at about 9:00 am and the place was already a bit crowded. The guy at the front recognize us from the prior day and greeted us warmly with a "welcome back", we are happy to have you here again today. He personally took us back to the terrazza which is a really nice area and told us to enjoy our meal. Our waitress was quite cheery and promptly came over with water and menus.

The breakfast menu is just as varied as the lunch and dinner menu and it took me a bit to decide what I wanted, but I finally did. I decided on the Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes with the caramelized macadamia nut topping and Ferni of course had the steak and eggs.

Favorite Dish: We ate here twice during our first trip, once for dinner and once for breakfast and our choices of food where excellent. The shrimp of scallops marina was really good, not too much sauce and the pasta was cooked perfectly. The shrimps were large and cooked perfectly as well. Ferni said his burger was excellent, juicy and cooked just right, he said his steak and eggs were just as good. My pancakes were slamming, the caramelized macadamia nuts were perfect and the vermont maple syrup always makes any pancakes taste yummier.

• Luxury Travel

Kuma Bar & Grille: Grabbing a drink and snack

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

The Kuma Bar & Grille is located on the grounds of the Wailea Marriott and is a great place to grab some refreshing tropical drinks as well as a snack or meal. Come during their daily happy hours from 3-5 and enjoy some discounts on your favorite drinks.

Since we arrived early afternoon to the hotel we decided to spend the rest of our day enjoying the resort. The Kuma bar is located just steps away from the beautiful "adult only infinity pool". It was an easy decision to grab a few drinks and something to eat after enjoying some sun and the pool. (You can also order from here poolside, which we did as well).

We grabbed a few seats at the outdoor bar. I ordered my frozen Blue Hawaiian and Ferni had a beer. I was feeling a bit hungry and decided to order a mushroom and garlic flatbread which was quite yummy.

Favorite Dish: The menu is quite extensive with the usual burgers, salads, sandwiches, pizzas, nachos and a few other items.

We ordered the flatbread and I had the yummy Blue Hawaiian's and Ferni had some beers. We did also order some drinks from here while enjoying the pool.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Cheeseburger Island Style: Not such a great breakfast!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

We were looking to have breakfast at different place during this visit and decided on stopping in here. Actually, we should have gone back to Longhi's. We arrived very early, before they opened and had to wait about 20 minutes before we were seated.

We were seated and handed our menus and asked if we wanted anything to drink. Ferni doesn't drink coffee and ordered an oj. I have to have my coffee and ordered a cup. We took a look at the menu and I decided on an omlette while Ferni settled for French Toast. Our meal arrived about 10 minutes later and I was so disappointed. My omelette wasn't good at all, my wheat toast barely toasted and the potatoes were horrible. Ferni's French toast lacked any flavor and the syrup was watery.

In all fairness, this is a burger joint that also serves breakfast, so maybe the burgers are better than the breakfast? All I know is that we definitely wouldn't make this another breakfast stop, especially with other places in the area.

Mala Wailea: Breakfast on our first morning in Maui

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

During out first visiti to Maui we were staying at the Marriott Wailea so we decided to have breakfast at the Mala Wailea, which is the restaurant located at the Wailea Marriott.

The decor is nice and simple with a Pacific Asian theme. There are plenty of tables as well as a nice large bar, booths and a lounge type area.

The restuarant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with a nice selection of items to choose from.

Ferni and I arrived very early this morning as we were heading out for some exploring. We were promptly seated at a nice table overlooking the beautiful ocean. We were given our menus and some water and we placed our order.

I decided I was stinking with the theme of macadamia nuts and tried their version of the macadamia nut pancakes with a dolop of macadamia nut butter cream which was a butter wipped with bites of macadamia nuts, quite yummy! I also wanted a small side of potatoes and Ferni and I shared them. Ferni went with the French Toast with fresh fruit which was quite good. I had a Kona Coffe and some water while Ferni had a juice.

Favorite Dish: The macadamia nut pancakes were excellent, as was Ferni's French Toast.

• Luxury Travel

Hula Grill: Love their Ice Cream Sandwich

by cjg1 Updated Apr 4, 2013

The Hula Grill is a favorite of ours. The food here is always good and the drinks are excellent. If there is one menu item that is a "must have", it is their Ice Cream Sandwich. Even if you are not a dessert lover, you will love this trust me on that.

The Ice Cream Sandwich consists of Vanilla ice cream, macadamia nut brownies, whipped cream, chocolate ganache and raspberry sauce. The flavor really is outstanding. The ice cream is so tasty and the brownies are decadent. The chocolate ganache and raspberry sauce just add to the yum of it all.

The portion they serve is huge. We have tried to share it just ourselves and never finished the portion. We recently had this with our friends Bob and Barbara during a day of celebrating my Big 40th birthday and even then we didn't finish it.

Twin Falls Farm Stand: Get a freshing smoothie

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 20, 2013

At the entrance to the Twin Falls is this fruit and smootie stand. It's a great place to grab a cooling smoothie after your hike to the falls. They have all sorts of freshing fruits as well and refreshing drinks.

Ferni and I enjoyed a smoothie after our trip back from the falls.

• Hiking and Walking

Fish Taco Trucks by Big Beach: Fish Taco Trucks

by Roadquill Written Dec 5, 2012

For a special treat, stop at one of the fish taco trucks that line the road to Big Beach in Makena. Not cheap, but they are damn good, filling and tasty. Usually you can select your fish, but they do sell out. We ended up with Ono tacos and for a medium and large taco it cost us about $21. But they were ssssoooooo good. Be sure to douse the taco in one of the spicy, pepper sauces.

Paia Fish Market: Fish, Fish, Fish

by Roadquill Written Dec 5, 2012

Located as central in Paia as you can get, we stop at Paia Fish Market because you can not only get a big, fresh, gut filling meal, but also a tasty fish taco at a reasonable price. The menu is above the order desk, grab your drink, and find a place at one of the communal tables.

Monkeypod Kitchen: A Merriman Resto

by Roadquill Written Dec 5, 2012

When we asked the concierge for some nice restos in the area one of the shortlisted places was Peter Merriman's Monkeypod Kitchen. We had a great resto experience at the Merriman's on the Big Island so I was pleasantly surprised to see he had opened a place in Wailea. Health salads, the kale salad was excellent and my spinach and quinoa was also very good. They also have some interesting pizzas, such as a watermelon pizza. The service was good. They were out of the reasonably priced tempranillo, and brought a Muga for a little more. There was live music, but it was kind of loud inside.

Favorite Dish: the seared ahi over jalapeno mash was excellent.

Roy's Ka'anapali: Hawaii Fusion

by Roadquill Written Dec 4, 2012

I was a big fan of Roy's and was disappointed when they closed down the resto in Kihei. Roy's is now in Ka'anapali which is nice, other than I am not a big fan of Ka'anapali. Roy's was an excellent stop on our way back from hiking to the Nakalele Blowhole. Great food, but I felt perfectly comfortable in my shorts, hiking boots and pullover. While you can spend high end, you can also get a great meal at a reasonable price. I ordered a half order of braised rib, and a crispy tuna roll. A pint of the Deshutes porter was only $4. The service was excellent. The wine list has both good reasonably priced wines as well as some top of the line grape juice.

Maui Hotels

5 Reviews - 3 Photos
Haleakala National Park Hotels
49 Reviews - 161 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

Comments

Maui Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maui restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui