Places to eat in Maui

Fish Tacos for Lunch (October 2014)
  • Restaurants
  • Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Maui

The Big Wave Cafe: Banana Macadaemia Nut Pancakes

by keida84 Updated Jul 25, 2007

In the Longs drug strip mall in Kihei across from the local arts and crafts fair is the Big Wave Cafe. Indoor or outdoor seating is available. Good service and good food at a fairly reasonable price, remember, things are more expensive on Maui.

Favorite Dish: And not just any pancakes, but Banana Macadamia Nut pancakes with Coconut Syrup. You may need to ask for the Coconut syrup because it may come with maple.

This will fill you up all day. The pancakes are almost as big as the plate. Whenever I am in Maui I head here at least once for these pancakes! Yum.

**Update: There is competition for the best pancakes on Maui....Charley's in upcountry Paia is rapidly becoming my 1st choice for banana macadamia nut pancakes. However, if you are looking for a decent resataurant that is local to the Kihei area then give the Big Wave Cafe a try.

A Kehei Beach

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ROADSIDE STAND: "KALUA PIG SANDWICH"

by LoriPori Written Mar 10, 2005

As lunch was not included in our tour price, Merle suggested a few places where we could eat -- an expensive restaurant in Hana or a delicious, mouth-watering, shredded pork on a bun at his favourite road-side stand, for the unbelievable price of $4.00. He talked about it so much that, of course we picked the road-side stand. We were not disappointed. They were delicious. Also on "Today's Menu"
    Fish Kabobs -- Grilled and smoked with mesquite wood ( made with fresh local catch "AHI" -- Yellow fin tuna $4.00
    Baked Breadfruit $4.00
    Kalua Pig Sandwich $4.00
    Free Range Hard Boiled Eggs .50

Today's Menu

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

The SeaWatch Restaurant at Wailea Maui: One of Maui's Finest

by seamandrew Written Oct 24, 2004

The SeaWatch Restaurant is arguably Maui's finest restaurant. With immaculate service, and dishes to tantalize your senses, it's no wonder this restaurant is a favorite for most visitors to Maui. I was there to celebrate my best friend's wedding in August of 2004. Not only did they cater extremely well to our party, but everyone walked out extremely happy. Even Elisabeth who rather enjoyed her tofu-dish. I strongly recommend paying this restaurant a visit if you have the time and money. It's not by any means cheap, but it's well worth every dollar you spend.

Favorite Dish: The Macadamia Nut Brie and Pacific Crab Cakes are excellent appetizers and I tried both the Filet Mignon, which my best-friend ordered, and I orded the fish of the day. It was a local fish that was amazing. This coming from someone who doesn't like fish too much. I ordered it because the waiter convinced me to. I know the fish started with an 'M'.

Picture off of their website.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

LAHAINA GRILL a contemporary bistro: If only one restaurant to go to, this is it.

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 16, 2009

The historic Lahaina Inn, in Lahaina, is the home of this superb restaurant. From walls of art, rooms of tables, with a bar being the central theme, you feel at home. Formerly "David Paul's Lahaina Grill" now with owner/chef Jurg Munch it is aptly named "Lahaina Grill". Still the superb gourmet dishes are presented to you with utmost care from the creative Executive Chef, Arnulfo Gonzalez.

Watch your salad being made at the bar. Sit in the dessert room for dinner and watch the waiters scurry by with all the delectable offerings. A happy feeling is in the air as you choose one of the gourmet courses that tempts your palate. Any choice you make will totally satisfy your hunger. A total dining experience. Voted #1 every year since 1994 with the Hale Aina Award, best Maui restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Kona coffee roasted rack of lamb is to "die for". This dish alone could make patrons come back, again and again. The right amount of spices and herbs, blended with the Kona coffee puts the lamb on the endangered species list. Compliments to the chef.

All the dishes rate high, so if you are here for the first time, I recommend the sampler, a bit of heaven in every bite. You won't be disappointed for gourmet dishes at the Lahaina Grill. Enjoy!

The cozy front dining room

The Cool Cat Cafe: Best burger 4 years running

by keida84 Written Jul 27, 2007

A restaurant named "Cool Cat?" well this Kat just had to go check this out and boy was I ever glad we did!

Up the stairs to the Cool Cat Cafe we went. We all enjoyed the open air upstairs restaurant setting. It seems to be the norm for almost all of the islands to have a restaurant of this type. The motif is a circa 1950's cafe. We had a table on the "balcony" where we watched all the local Lahaina culture go by. The waiters look like they have just stepped off a surf board and came to work. It was a very "laid back" atmosphere and it seems they really enjoy their jobs. Many of the "locals" were eating here so we knew it had to be good. A note here: There is a "Cool Cat Cafe" in San Luis Obispo, California as well)

Favorite Dish: We had a diverse group of people and what they wanted to eat. Kristi and I had the regular hamburgers she had the "Duke" burger which I think had mushrooms on it and I had the "Don Ho" which had a terriyaki barbque sauce which was terrific. Sally had a chicken sandwhich and Kris has a veggie burger which she proclaimed to be the best one she had ever had. We shared a basket of onion rings which was a good idea because the basket was plentiful and it kept the price down.

None of us had any room for dessert but I am sure whatever was on that menu would be excessive and over the top and tasted really really good!

The Cool Cat Sign Don Ho Burger
    • Women's Travel

Charley's: Rustic Hippie Charm

by keida84 Written Jul 25, 2007

Charley's restaurant is the oldest in the up country Paia region. Good food, friendly service and on occasion when the chef and cooks are in a good mood, a serenade while your food is cooking. This was the case when we stopped back a second time for lunch on our last day in Maui. The cooks were in fine form singing to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." Charley's is open for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night dining, Saturday and Sunday Brunch. The Charley P. Woofer Saloon is known for its collection of Willy Nelson memorabilia and one HUGE guitar!

We stopped here twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch as previously mentioned. This is a friendly place with excellent food, no frills or fancy cooking--just plain good eating. This restaurant was featured on the Food Network which features a show about eating on $40.00 a day while traveling.

Favorite Dish: For breakfast I had the famous macadamia nut banana pancakes with coconut syrup. They offer a "surfer stack or just one pancake. I chose the one pancake because they cakes are huge! As it was I could hardly eat the whole thing. As the Hawaiian's would say, "It broke da mouf" meaning: "It broke the mouth" translated "excellent eats!"

For lunch I had the Classic burger which came with fries, Kris had a turkey rueben with onion rings and again it "Broke da mouf" Good cooking, great friendly service don't miss it!

This place hops at night when the "local" bands come to play....and who knows that could be Willy Nelson, Leon Russell or any of the talented locals that come into "jam"

A big big guitar One banana mcadamia nut pancake Comfortable decor

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Mama's Fish House: Pure Hawaiiana

by travelgourmet Updated Mar 7, 2011

Aloha. As you enter the parking area, you realize that you are in for a visual as well as a culinary treat. Mama's is home to Hawaiiana. The little grass shack , made big. The grounds are a sight to behold, sand beach, tiki torches, and waves crashing right in front of you, and you came here to eat.

When you finally catch your breath, make your way to the entrance. Oh yeah, some will say a little tacky, a little over the top, but hey, when you come to Mama's you have come home to Hawaii. Guess what? The food is fresh and fancy. Many different dishes to enjoy with one of the house special drinks and afterwards you'll be doing the hula on the sandy beach. Mahalo, is what you will tell Mama.

This is a restaurant that is a dining experience, not only for the food, but for the decor and ambiance. The prices may be a little on the high side, but again, this is a true Polynesian memory. Not your normal Tiki Hut. I could just sit in the sand by the water in front of the restaurant and drink in the view for hours, that is how much I enjoyed Mama's. I trust you will find it just as rewarding and filling for your soul as well as your appetite. Aloha!

Favorite Dish: Many great dishes to select, but one that stands out is the Mahi Mahi stuffed with lobster, crab, and Maui onion, baked with a macadamia nut crust. Fresh, and oh so ONO!!! It will broke your mouth. You must try Mama's Fish House on your way back from the Hana Highway for a complete Hawaiian experience. Just click on the blue underlined Mama's for their website and be ready to hear the sounds of Polynesia as you peruse the menu.

Beach at Mama's

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Julia's Banana Bread: The best banana bread ever???

by seamandrew Written Oct 24, 2004

According to my guidebook, there's a stand in Kahakuloa Village, up in the northern part of Western Maui, that has the best banana bread ever. My wife and I have made two trips up to her shop only to find the place closed both times. So far we haven't had the benefit of trying the banana bread, but both times we visited Maui, we talked to other people who had the pleasure of trying it and they spoke highly of it. Look for the green stand.

Favorite Dish: The banana bread is what you must try.

Julia's Banana Bread Stand

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Leilani's: Delicious Beachside Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Mar 26, 2014

We were visited Maui the day of my 40th Birthday My wife had planned for us to have dinner here at Leilani's and had reservations for the start of the dinner hour. We had a long day of shopping, exploring and hanging out with some of my friends who live locally.

The restaurant is located in the Whalers Village overlooking the beach. The restaurant has two floors; the lower level is their casual dining venue(Beachside Grill) and the upper level is for dinner. We arrived a little early for our reservation but we shown to our table after a five minute wait. Our table was upstairs, overlooking the beach and water below. Absolutely an amazing view of Ka'anapali Beach with both Molokai and Lanai clearly in the distance. At this point I thought that even if the food is crap, the view is worth it.

Our waiter handed us menus(dinner and drink) for us to peruse. As we mulled over the dinner offerings; a basket of warm bread and butter was brough to the table. The menu has a nice selection of food; meat dishes, chicken, seafood and local fish. I was impressed by their use of locally grown and caught ingredients. Our waiter appeared again and we placed our order. I chose the Cracker and Parmesean Dusted Local Fish(can't remember the name of the fish) for my entree with the Iceberg Wedge for an appetizer. Liz chose the Mushroom Ravioli as an appetizer and the Twin Lobster Tails as her entree. As for drinks; I stuck with an unsweetened ice tea(we had way too many drinks at the Hula Grill next door earlier in the day). My wife chose a Mango Iced tea which had fresh Mango puree(nice touch).

As we waited for our appetizers we had some of that delicious warm bread and watched the boats out on the water. Absolutely beautiful view; even if the food was crap(which it wasn't), I'd come here for the view(fortunately the food was excellent). Our appetizers arrived and I was very happy with my choice. The blue cheese dressing was very creamy with chunks of blue cheese throughout. The thick sliced bacon chunks were very good on top. My wife loved her mushroom ravioli. The filling was very good and the sauce was tasty...I only had a bite so she could enjoy the rest herself.

Our entrees arrived about ten minutes after the table was cleared of our appetizers. My fish looked very good but paled in comparison to the bright red, large Lobster Tails on my wife's plate. My fish was good, I enjoyed the flavor but not exactly what I expected. My wife on the other hand was thrilled with her choice....after having a bite of her Lobster I knew why. The Lobster meat was very sweet and delicious. Needless to say, the Lobster was gone very quickly off her plate. Our waiter came by and asked how the meal was; we of course said we hated it(kidding around) with empty plates before us and a big smile on our faces.

As for dessert; their simply wasn't room. Even though it was my Birthday Dinner I couldn't manage another bite and I had already had three birthday cakes already on the trip. I truly enjoyed this meal and loved the casual island vibe. The view is amazing and provided a perfect backdrop for such a special dinner. I will defiintely return again.

Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese & Bacon Cracker and Parmesean Dusted Local Fish Mango Iced Tea Mushroom Ravioli Oven Roasted Twin Lobster Tails

• agapotravel's Profile Photo

Old Lahaina Luau: Awesome Luau!!

by agapotravel Written Feb 25, 2007

The Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is a special event. You are greeted with a fresh flower lei and shown to your seats. We decided to do the traditional mat seating, so we were on the floor near the stage. It did get a little uncomfortable after sitting for 2+ hours, but it was worth it. The food was buffet style, and to be honest, it wasn't great. However, we are very picky eaters, so don't take my opinion on the food. Others around us were really enjoying it. The surroundings, the performance, and the atmosphere were top notch! It was a special night.

Old Lahaina Luau performance Your surroundings at the Old Lahaina Luau Traditional mat seating Another show picture

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Longhi's(Lahaina Location): Great Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated Oct 23, 2014

My wife and I were exploring Front Street in Old Town Lahaina and wanted to get some breakfast. My wife had a few places in mind and one of them was Longhi's. We came upon the restaurant and decided to have our morning meal here after checking out their posted menu.

The restaurant is quite deceiving from the outside, size wise. Inside is two large dining areas with more dining space upstairs. I was happy that we were able to get the last table by the large open windows facing the street and ocean beyond. Our waitress(Liz) brought over our menus and asked if we wanted any drinks. I chose an unsweetened iced tea and my wife stuck with ice water.

The breakfast menu had a nice variety of egg dishes, pancakes, french toast and breakfast pastry to chose from. After mulling over my choices I decided to have their Grand Marnier French Toast with real Vermont Maple Syrup(no fake stuff..yuck) with a side order of their thick cut bacon. My wife ordered a Cinnamon Bun and a side of their home fried potatoes.

I was surprised at how busy the place was and mostly with locals judging by the conversations we overheard. Our food arrived about ten minutes after we ordered and looked delicious. My French Toast was very god indded; nicely done with a good sweet flavor. I really enjoyed the thick cut bacon; great flavor and cooked to my liking. My wife's Cinnamon Bun astounded us with its large size(not sure why there was butter in a cup with it...guess its a mystery). That Cinnamon Bun definitely hit the spot with my wife, she loves all things cinnamon. The Home fried potatoes were very good; I helped her finish up the portion.

I was really happy with our choice here. The food quality was excellent, the service was friendly and the view was quite nice. I'd definitely return here for another meal.

**They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.**
    Breakfast: 7:30 am to 11:30 am
    Lunch: 11:45 am to 4:30 pm
    Dinner: 4:45 pm to 9:30 pm

Favorite Dish: The French Toast is very good. I would have it again in a heart beat. The bread was sweet and tasty and cooked just right with a crispy edge to it. It was also good to have Real Maple Syrup; so many places serve that gross fake maple flavored syrup. The potatoes and bacon were also very nice and cooked properly.

Grand Marnier French Toast Enjoying my Birthday Breakfast Thick Cut Bacon Cinnamon Bun Home Fried Potatoes

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Longhi's: Really good food and atmosphere

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

We ate here twice during our first trip, twice during our second and once during our third trip to Maui, that's how good the food and service is. This restuarnt is located at the Shops at Wailea just a few steps away from our hotel.

The restaurant has a really nice open airy feeling to it with some nice tables inside the terraza and tables and booths outside the terraza. There is a really nice bar as well (we did come here that same night for a few drinks).

We were doing some shopping at the Wailea Shops early in the evening when we realized it was time to stop and get something to eat. We walked around looking for a nice place to sit and grab a meal and decided to stop.

As we approached the front we were asked if we had reservations and we told them we didn't. The guy in the front told us to wait a few minutes and that we would have us seated promptly. We did wait more than 5 minutes when we were seated at a nice table in a terraza like area.

The service here was was excellent, our waiter was friendly and very attentive and the "manager/owner" (not sure, he didn't actually tell us) came over to us to personally greet us (he did this to all the tables), which I found to be a really nice touch. The restaurant is not cheap, but not too expensive either. The lunch and dinner menu is quite extensive with some really nice salad, sandwiches, seafood and pasta selections.

We looked over the menu and Ferni decided to have a burger, which they are known for. I was looking for something from the sea, but nothing too filling, so I went with the shrimp of scallops marinara.

As you are waiting for your order to come out the waiter brings over a nice dish full of doughy bread (almost like a pizza) which had a nice light sauce on them. We didn't wait long for our meal to arrive.

Our meals were excellent and we really enjoyed this place so much that we decided to come back the next day for a nice breakfast.

For Breakfast - We arrived at about 9:00 am and the place was already a bit crowded. The guy at the front recognize us from the prior day and greeted us warmly with a "welcome back", we are happy to have you here again today. He personally took us back to the terrazza which is a really nice area and told us to enjoy our meal. Our waitress was quite cheery and promptly came over with water and menus.

The breakfast menu is just as varied as the lunch and dinner menu and it took me a bit to decide what I wanted, but I finally did. I decided on the Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes with the caramelized macadamia nut topping and Ferni of course had the steak and eggs.

Favorite Dish: We ate here twice during our first trip, once for dinner and once for breakfast and our choices of food where excellent. The shrimp of scallops marina was really good, not too much sauce and the pasta was cooked perfectly. The shrimps were large and cooked perfectly as well. Ferni said his burger was excellent, juicy and cooked just right, he said his steak and eggs were just as good. My pancakes were slamming, the caramelized macadamia nuts were perfect and the vermont maple syrup always makes any pancakes taste yummier.

Shrimp scallops with linguine in marinara Ferni's burger Ferni's fries The doughy like pizza at the table Yummy, dessert!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Mala Wailea: Breakfast on our first morning in Maui

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 25, 2013

During out first visiti to Maui we were staying at the Marriott Wailea so we decided to have breakfast at the Mala Wailea, which is the restaurant located at the Wailea Marriott.

The decor is nice and simple with a Pacific Asian theme. There are plenty of tables as well as a nice large bar, booths and a lounge type area.

The restuarant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with a nice selection of items to choose from.

Ferni and I arrived very early this morning as we were heading out for some exploring. We were promptly seated at a nice table overlooking the beautiful ocean. We were given our menus and some water and we placed our order.

I decided I was stinking with the theme of macadamia nuts and tried their version of the macadamia nut pancakes with a dolop of macadamia nut butter cream which was a butter wipped with bites of macadamia nuts, quite yummy! I also wanted a small side of potatoes and Ferni and I shared them. Ferni went with the French Toast with fresh fruit which was quite good. I had a Kona Coffe and some water while Ferni had a juice.

Favorite Dish: The macadamia nut pancakes were excellent, as was Ferni's French Toast.

Ferni's French Toast My macadamia nut with butter cream pancakes My potatoes Our view from our table Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones ate here

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar: Yummy Sushi

by Mairo21 Written Jun 9, 2006

Sansei's is a great place to hang out before and after work. Enjoy the company of friends and coworkers, while dining on some of the best sushi you could ever hope to have! Can be a bit noisy at times, especially if you are there on Karaoke night. Can be rather expensive, but If you go before 5pm, or after 10pm on certain days of the week, You'll receive 50% off. A great way to dine, save some money, and enjoy yourself! The rock shrimp, and miso butterfish is a must while there. and for desert, don't forget to try the friend ice cream. Exceptional! Not only is the food great, the presentation is also pleasing on the eyes. Rather busy during most times, so expect to wait in a long line..unless you make reservations in advance.

Favorite Dish: 1.Rock Shrimp
    2.Miso butterfish
    3.Caterpillar Roll
    4.Fried Ice Cream. (Mmmm...)
    Basically everything on the menu. Haven't had anything that dissapointed me yet! ;)

Ono grinds.. Chillin' with the girls. Dynamite Rock Shrimp Miso Butterfish

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Charlies: Huge Macadamia Nut Pancake & Maybe a Celebrity

by Albernfrau Written Apr 18, 2006

Casual restaurant. Apparently this is where the celebrities eat but we didn?t see any. If you go to Charlie?s eat the Macadamia Nut Pancake with coconut syrup. No not pancakes plural, just eat ONE as they are the size of an entire plate and thick! My husband at the eggs benedict which was pricey but delicious. After getting totally stuffed you can head to nearby Baldwin Beach or start your Hana Highway drive or just check out the cool people and shops in Paia.

Open 7am - 10pm

Favorite Dish: Macadamia Nut Pancake with coconut syrup!

Maui Hotels

3 Hotels
Makawao Hotels
5 Reviews - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

Comments

Maui Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maui restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui