Fun things to do in Maui

• Things to Do
    by SassyMcPeaches
  • Turtle up for air off North Ka'anapali Beach
    Turtle up for air off North Ka'anapali...
    by runnelspl
  • Surfing
    by wilocrek

Most Viewed Things to Do in Maui

Beach at Ka'ana'pali

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 27, 2015

The beaches in Maui are amazing and Ka,ana,pali Beach is no exception! I love the fact that the beach has these amazing views of Lanai and Molakai to the distant. The sand is so powdery and soft and the water is always quite warm.

There are a few miles of beach to enjoy with a coastal walk as well as the Whaler's Village where you can do some serious damage shopping. You can also find the Hula Grill as well as a few other dinning options.

We enjoy spending a few hours at the beach before hitting the Hula Grill for a drink and then some shopping at Whaler's Village.

Molikini Crater

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 27, 2015

Molokini Crater is a marine sanctuary here in Maui. It is a small volcanic cone (caldera) located a few miles off the southern shores of Maui. The crater (caldera) is said to have formed over 150 million years ago and is one of best places to go snorkeling. You can see the caldera sticking out of the ocean from any area along the southern part of Maui.

Because of the quality of the water surrounding the crater there is consistently superior clarity which makes Molokini an amazing snorkeling experience. It is said that visibility can be as deep as 150 feet and with the abundance of sea life surrounding the caldera, that makes this an impressive place to visit. There are also large families of birds making the crater their home.

Arrange for a snorkel trip with one of the many companies that offer half day tours. My suggestion is to arrange for an early morning tour. No matter when you go to Molokini you're sure to find plenty of other boats enjoying this magnificent location.

Molokini in the distance Another view of Molokini from Wailea Beach
    • National/State Park
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Black Sand Beach (Honokalani)

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 27, 2015

This black sand beach is located at the Waianapanapa State Park just past the 32 mile marker of the Hana Highway.

The beach was formed when the hot lava flow went into the ocean causing the molten lava to solidify. The difference in tempature caused the lava to crack into small pieces making this black sand beach.

To get to the beach you must walk down a small cliff. The beach, imho, is more of site seeing beach, where you snap a pic and maybe cool down your feet. I didn't see anyone on the beach sunning or swimming but a few families laid out blankets enjoying picnics.

After visiting the black sand beach definitely check out the anchialine pools located in a cave.

Black sand beneath my feet
    • Water Sports
    • Hiking and Walking

Wailea Beach

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 27, 2015

With about 450 yards in length this beach is one of the most popular along the south shore of Maui. Here you will find some of the most expensive resorts on the island, including the Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, Wailea Beach Resort, Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. It's lined with a nice boardwalk with plenty of activities and restaurants to enjoy some lunch/dinner. We've stayed at both the Marriott and Grand Wailea along the Wailea Beach and it's a wonderful beach to enjoy some sun and water activities.

The beach does get crowded during certain times of the year, but there's still plenty of space for you to lay on a blanket or a chair to enjoy the beautiful waters of Maui.

If you're lucky you may also see turtles on the beach. During one of our visits we saw some humpback whales in the distance.

Beautiful stretch of beach Sunsent over Wailea Beach Some beach loungers at the beach
    • Water Sports

Explore other Resorts

by cjg1 Updated Jan 13, 2015

My wife and I love to explore other resorts when travelling to see what they have to offer. We were staying at the Andaz in 2014; which is one of the newest properties in Wailea but were curious about the rest down the beach. During our trip we ventured off to the Grand Wailea, Marriott and the Four Seasons. It is nice to compare the different property layouts, restuarsnts, beaches and pools.

The Marriott looked like a dive and in bad need of refurbishment; amazing what they get away with charging. It did have a nice stretch of beach but the rundown look is a big let down.

The Grand Wailea was a massive property with lots of restaurants, bars, shops and pools but was a bit outdated in decor and packed with families which is a big turnoff for us. We actually ate at Humu on this property and it was extremely good food with nice ambiance. My wife enjoyed some shopping here at their shops. One thing that was disturbing is their requiring guests to wear colored wristbands that changed everyday. I understand they want only paying guests to enjoy the facilities but it looks tacky. During our visit there was a large conference of people staying here and the shop staff seemed to be a bit putt off by this when we talked to them. It is just too big of a resort in my opinion.

The Four Seasons was the best of the bunch with an upscale, updated property. It was alot smaller than the Grand Wailea but we liked that. We also liked that their pool is salt water and not chlorine; I always hate smelling of that chemical junk.The staff we interacted with were very courteous and nice to talk with. If we ever wanted to venture away from the Andaz in the future; I could see us at the Four Seasons.

Our first trip to Maui we explored the resorts of Kannapali and found them all to have lovely beach views. We liked the Hyatt and the Sheraton best out of those properties primarily due to their more secluded location.

Lounging by the Pool

by cjg1 Updated Jan 13, 2015

Lounging by the pool is a relaxing thing to do on vacation. Our resort had several levels of infinity pools to enjoy during our stay. The infinity pools although nice realy weren't true "infinity" pools sice the views were marred by the many umbrellas set up on each level of the pool. There was also a lagoon pool on the lowest level with a zero entry; this is where most people with children could be found at our resort.

Pool attendants came by to set up chairs with soft coverings; obtain towels and take drink orders. The service around the pool was excellent. There were also ice cold water cooler stations on the pool levels in order to refill your resuable resort water bottle for a nice cold drink.

We did spend several hours each day enjoying this quiet stillness of the pool water before heading our for some beach time fun.

Check out Makawao!

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 23, 2014

This was a little town we passed as we were riding our bikes down from Haleakala. We stopped off at Polli's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina for lunch. My boyfriend & I decided to come back a few days later to check out the town. It's tiny. And, known as a "cowboy town", I'm not sure why. There was only one western gear type shop. Some nice galleries and jewelry stores. Not much of a selection of places to eat. You might want to back track to Paia for food. Interesting place to check out without a lot of tourists hanging out like in Lahaina.

The drive from Paia to Makawao, beautiful!

Check out Paia!

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 23, 2014

On our way to Haleakala for a bike tour we passed this quaint little town, Paia. This town is known for the surfer's to hang out at. I was told the surf is better on this side of the island for them. It's not a very big town but has a decent amount of shops to peruse and some restaurants. One of the shops I went into, Sand & Sea, sold Hawaiian salt. I bought the Lava salt which is black. I can't wait to use it on a dish, I think it will look cool. What's great about Paia is not too many tourists and the unique stores in the town. I also bought some pineapple soap as souvenirs from the Hemp House.

Maui Dharma Center

Check out Lahaina!

by GracesTrips Updated Dec 23, 2014

This is the happening city on the island! Lots of shops, galleries, restaurants and bars that can take up quite a bit of time. The ideal place to hang out at in the evening. Enjoy the views of the sun setting.

Dangerous but beautiful North Shore of Maui

by littlesam1 Updated Nov 25, 2014

When we visited Maui we had a list of things we wanted to do. So we set out a schedule to help keep us focused and to maximize our time to see the most. We wanted to visit Makena Beach and it's notorious neighbor Little Beach. We wanted to take a day to drive the Road to Hana. We also wanted to visit Mt. Haleakala. We allowed a day for each of these activities. We had read the Road to Hana was a challenge so we were excited and a little anxious about that days activity. We really read to many stories about it and over thought it a bit. It was a beautiful drive but not quite the challenge the guide books make it out to be. Don't have any second thoughts about trying the Road to Hana. It's beautiful, it's remote, but it's also very safe to drive the route.

Even with all of our planned activity we still had time for some surprises and spontaneous adventures on Maui. I was looking through our guide book one even and read about the road on the north shore of Maui. The guide book said this road was not for the weak of heart. I have been many places and had many adventures so this did not put me off. I thought this was a typical guide book over statement. So we decided to take our rental car to the north shore road of Maui and see what all of this was about.

The road is a challenge even for the best of drivers. There are no guard rails along the clift lined route. The roads are very narrow and at times are only one lane in width. We were driving on the clift side of the road so when we met an oncoming vehicle they had to wait for us as we could not back up and let them pass. Mark was driving and I was riding shot gun. I think I had the better time. It's a long and very slow drive. At times you can see rocks and pebbles going over the cliffs from the car tires. But the views are remarkable. We saw some of the most beautiful vistas and panorama's imaginable. We found out after our adventure that most rental car agencies do not allow their cars to be driven on this road. It's difficult for them to reach you in an emergency and it is dangerous. The bartender at our hotel advised us to keep it to ourselves and not let the rental agency know we had driven on the road. But it was worth the challenge and the risk. It was truly breath taking and awe inspiring. It makes the notorious Road to Hana look like an interstate. If your up to the challenge I highly recommend the drive. These are the most dramatic views on Maui

North shore road on Maui

The Haleakalā silversword

by littlesam1 Written Nov 25, 2014

We were very fortunate to be able to see The Haleakalā silversword. It's a very rare plant and has been on the endangered list since 1992. It is only found in Hawaii on the island of Maui at elevations over 6,900 feet on the dormant Haleakalā volcano. The plants have been protected by the U.s. Fish and Wildlife Service and have made a successful recovery. However they are still threatened. Visitors are asked to not walk on volcanic rocks around the plant as they have very sensitive root systems and could be destoryed by the weight of foot steps. A healthy plant can live up to fifty years.

The Haleakalā silversword The Haleakalā silversword The Haleakalā silversword

Wailea Beach

by cjg1 Updated Nov 25, 2014

Wailea beach is located on the south shore of Maui. The beach is large and cresent shaped with golden colored sand and calm water. The beach spans about 450 yards and is rated one of the top beaches in America year after year. It is a beautiful stretch of beach with some pretty views.

This is a public beach and can be rather crowded due to its proximity to the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons Resorts. My wife and I wanted to spend some time here enjoying the beach but found it way too crowded and noisey for our liking. We wound up back at our resort (The Andaz) for a more secluded beach experience.

The Air is Thin at the Summit - Mt. Haleakalā

by littlesam1 Updated Nov 24, 2014

Mark and I had a fun time walking around the summit of Mt. Haleakalā. There is a lot see and do. Leave time for photographs because the views are amazing. However be warned. The summit is high. It is 10,023 feet above sea level. I have been 12,000 in the Andes when I visited Peru. I was over 10,000 on the summit of Schilthorn in Switzerland. I never had any problems or noticed a lot difference in the air in Peru or Switzerland. I did realize I had to walk a little slower and breath a little deeper when climbing paths or stairs. But it never really bothered me. I did have some problems on Mt. Haleakalā with some altitude sickness. Nothing major but I could sense my breathing to be more difficult and I did experience some dizziness. I took a few moments to rest and I was fine and ready to explore some more. But I did take my steps a little slower. I was a little surprised at my problems. Mark had some minor problems in Peru and I teased him about it at the the time. He had no problems on Mt. Haleakalā so it was my turn to have the jokes on me this time.

Larry - Mt. Haleakalā Mark and Larry - Mt. Haleakalā Mark - Mt. Haleakalā

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Pu'u'ula'ula Summit - highest point on Maui.

by littlesam1 Written Nov 24, 2014

Pu'u'ula'ula Summit - highest point on Maui is also known as The House of the Sun. It is considered a sacred site for native Hawaiians. It is a place of mystery and mysticism. New Age believers today revere the area as one of the earth's powerful energy points. And the U.S. Air Force adds to the mystery with a not-very-well-explained presence here. I found it fascinating, beautiful, and some what mystical.

The House of the sun is Maui's main natural attraction. It attracts more than 1.3 million visitors a year. You climb to the ridge of the mountain which 10,023 feet above sea level to look down into the dormant volcano. It's actually considered still active althought it has not erupted since 1790. The hole itself is so large it could hold all of Manhattan. It is 3,000 feet deep. It's 7 1/2 miles long by 2 1/2 miles wide. And it is 19 square miles. y tr

There are many trails up here to follow and paths to climb. If you arrive at sunrise you can watch the caldera change colors as the sun rises and highlights the many parts of the volcano.

The House of the Sun The House of the sun

Mount Haleakalā - 10,000 feet above Maui

by littlesam1 Written Nov 24, 2014

Visiting Mount Haleakalā in Maui is an experience that is hard to describe. Researching in advance for our time in Maui I learned that you pass through as many ecological zones on a two hour drive to the summit of Haleakalā as you would on a journey from Mexico to Canada. You literally drive above the clouds to reach the 10,000 foot summit. Be prepared for an adventure. An ambulance can take up to 45 minutes to arrive to the summit in an emergency. People with respiratory or other medical conditions should be aware that the summit of Haleakalā is at 10,000 ft. There is no food, beverages, or gasoline in the park. This is a remote area.

Maui Hotels

5 Reviews - 19 Photos
Mauna Loa Hotels
5 Hotels

Instant Answers: Maui

Comments

Maui Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Maui things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui