Getting Around Maui

Most Viewed Transportation in Maui

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Hitch Hike

by briantravelman Written Jan 22, 2014

Hitch hiking used to be illegal in Maui, but it was legalized a few years ago, and now it is a great way to see the island. When we were traveling the Road To Hana, we saw a couple of students hitch hiking. We even picked one of them up. Most people who stop for them are other tourists, so it's a really good way to meet people.
    I wouldn't recommend it, if you are on a tight schedule, but if you're not in a rush, it's a really good way to explore the island.
    Definitely recommend it for backpackers who are on a tight budget.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rent a jeep or convertible

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

The best way to explore the many beautiful parts of the island of Maui is by car. I would recommend that you arrange for your rental from home to secure better rates and the type of car you desire. Ferni and I secured our Jeep, convertible and regular car from home and we got the best rates available from Thrifty. We usually rent with them and find that Thrifty has some of the best competitive rates around.

Maui Airport has all the major car rental companies and they all have courtesy desks where you can also arrange for a car rental if you didn't do so from home. There is a designated area for each of the car companies where a courtesy shuttle bus will pick you up and transport you to the rental ofiice which are located just outside of the airport.

• National/State Park

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Hawaiian Airlines to Kuhului Airport

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I have always choosen to fly Hawaiian Airlines every time we have flown to Maui if we stop in Oahu first due to their excellent fares and wide range of flight schedules. Depending on which island you travel from you will find fares as low as $29 each way.

We've always experience excellent service and the flights have always been on time. Check out their website for more fares and flight information to your desired piece of paradise!

We've paid on average $39-$69 each way to the three islands we have visited.

• Spa and Resort
    • National/State Park

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Arrival Via Cruise Ship

by cjg1 Updated Mar 8, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Maui in 2013 on the Celebrity Century. We were on a fifteen night cruise of Hawaii for my 40th birthday. I found this to be a fun and different way to vist Hawaii and was glad I did.

Maui is a tender port so we were loaded onto smaller boats to taxi us to the pier in Lahaina.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Alamo Car Rental - good co. and good car

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 4, 2011

We rented a car with Alamo and we were pleased with their service and our car. Upon arrival at Kalahui Airport we walked over to the Alamo area. They directed us to wait for their bus to pick us up and take us to the car rental area. We had to wait about 10 mins. for the bus and we quickly filled the bus and others had to wait for the next bus. Upon getting to the rental office we had to wait in line for at least 15 mins. This was our first taste of Maui time. Anyways they were friendly and we were rented a Chevy Malibu. This was a surprisingly great car. It was perfect for driving the Island and it was great on gas. Upon returning the car they didn't even really inspect it; thought this was strange but apparently they aren't too picky about a scratch or two as they customer service rep said it is Maui scratches etc. will happen.

Tip: Most people ignore the car rental driving restrictions, ie. no driving the Northwest tip of Maui or the entire loop of Hana.

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Rent A Car on Maui

by Erin74 Updated Apr 4, 2011

GETTING AROUND MAUI:

You will need to rent a car on this island. Public transportation is not readily available here and you'll need a car to get to and from all the sights.

You do not need a convertible or Jeep. A standard rental car will do just fine. Actually, I think that renting a fancy car on Maui just marks you as a tourist and makes your vehicle more likely to be broken into (this is a problem on Maui!).

When you arrive on Maui at Kahului Airport, there are a number of rental car agencies located at the airport. The info:

Alamo Rent-A-Car

1-877-283-0898

• dlytle's Profile Photo

Maui Hawaii's Kahului Airport

by dlytle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kahului Airport is located on the northern edge of the land bridge between Haleakala and the West Maui Mountain Range on the island of Maui. The airport is located three miles east of the town of Kahului.

This is a very nice and well kept facility. You will have little to no trouble finding your way from the terminal to baggage claim. There is a nice photo opportunity to catch a brightly colored Welcome to Maui Sign as you take the escalator down to baggage claim.

• Business Travel

• Maui Cruisers great deal

by TRAVELBUGMAUI Written Oct 19, 2010

We rented a car from this company and were totally happy with car and the service!
    It was exactly what we wanted, an older car that apparently had been lovingly maintained
    and put us right under the radar and kept us looking local!
    We took "Susie" as we named her to Hana , Haleakala , Makena Big Beach and all over Maui,
    putting almost 300 miles on her in a week.
    The owner, Paul, is a total barrel of laughs but the best part was we had absolutely no problems with his car and we highly recommend Maui Cruisers if you are on a budget and want to
    blend in with the locals there.

• Adventure Travel

• mauicowboy's Profile Photo

Maui Car Rental

by mauicowboy Updated Apr 4, 2010

Don't forget to give Priceline.com a try. I always first find the best deal I can on a car rental and make the reservation and then try to beat the price with Priceline. If I get my reservation on Priceline I can then go back and cancel my car reservation.

There is a great website out there called http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com where people post there Priceline successes so you can get a feel for what you might be able to do on Priceline. I just checked the biddingfortravel website and see that somebody was able to rent a convertible on Maui for $25/day for April 6-13. There are other great deals like a full size car on Maui for $11/day 5/11 - 5/18.

If you're looking for activities, beaches to go to, or still need a place to stay then check out http://www.GetLostInMaui.com for some great ideas. Enjoy your trip. I'm heading back there in a couple weeks myself and can't wait!

• Seniors

• Maui with NO car ? At Christmas time ? Well YES !!

by Webfoot55 Written Jan 1, 2010

Just got back from a week on Maui. Our Christmas present to each other.
    Problem was we screwed up our car rental reservation, so NO car. At the busiest time of the year no less.
    How did that work out ? Well here's what we did and what our transportation costs added up to.

We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei. The speedy shuttle from the airport cost $35

The next day we took the public bus down to Wailea to walk the beaches. Transportation cost was $4

We took a van tour around the island. They picked us up at the hotel. Transportation cost was zero.

We took the public bus up to Maalaea for a snorkeling trip to Lanai and Molokini. Transportation cost $4

We did the helicopter trip around the volcano. Taxi to and from the heliport was $80.

We took the ferry out of Lahaina to Molokai for a bus tour. Taxi to and from the dock in Lahaina was $120. We could have taken the public buses back to the hotel for $4, but my wife was getting nervous about the timing.

Yes these were all package tours we did, but it turns out they all added up in cost (roughly) to what we were going to pay for the car rental. And yes there were some places we didn't get to, but we did ok for our first visit.

Best of all I didn't have to drive. I could kick back and enjoy the views for once.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• iammon's Profile Photo

Rental car

by iammon Updated Jul 4, 2008

This is an entry more for myself as sometimes people ask me and I do not remember: We rented a mid size car with Dollar one week was 97.95 plus 38$ (!) per day insurance. Including tax and everything it was finally 420$ for a week. Additional driver would have been 10$ more a day. Car was in perfect condition however. Rental car is highly recommended for Maui.

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo

Rent a Car

by SteveOSF Written Dec 10, 2007

Most visitors to Maui will arrive at Kahului Airport (OGG) in north most portion of Central Maui. However, the majority of the resorts and hotels are located at western Maui. It is beneficial to rent a car right at the airport. A car is typically the best way to get to your lodging, as it is about an hours drive from the airport to the west coast of the island. A vehicle will also provide you with transportation to explore the island and visit the island's attractions, restaurants, and shops.

• Study Abroad

• Sorry but you have got to rent a car to see it all

by kcbrit Written Sep 2, 2007

We got our car rental in a package with the plane. Used Dollar rental. very friendl and the car (Dodge 4-door) was enough for two people. Otherwise you are stuck and can't see the island without doing bus tours. Which might suit some people. Gas is expensive to Americans but not unreasonable seeing as the island is quite small.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Renting a car

by Dabs Written Jul 29, 2007

Having a car on Maui is almost a necessity, I suppose if you stay in a resort and spend a lot of time there and do organized day trips that you do not have to have one but otherwise it's essential.

I didn't do the research on renting the car, we ended up renting a Toyota Corolla which got great gas mileage for $288 for 8 days from Dollar, rented at the airport. Gas is more expensive in Hawaii than where I am from (Chicago) so it was nice to have a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle.

We somehow managed to miss traffic jams but a guy on my van was remarking on a traffic jam that he got caught in near Lahaina where it took him 40 minutes to go a couple of miles. And if you are thinking about doing the road to Hana, you might investigate the best time to do this as it gets jammed.

There are certain roads in Maui that you are not allowed to take rental cars on, check with your rental company, if you happen to break down on one of these roads, I understand you void the contract and are responsible for damages. Some of the roads in Maui are very tough to drive, lots of twists and turns, you can usually spot these on the map, the road to Hana is one of them and the road to the summit of Haleakala is another.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Shuttle to the airport

by Dabs Written Jul 25, 2007

Although we rented a car for our stay on Maui, my flight left 12 hours earlier than everyone else's so I decided to get a shuttle to return to the airport, I'm sure much to the relief of all the other three who were sound asleep when I left at 5:20 am. I chose Speedishuttle which was $49.13 for a one way ride from Kaanapali, there's a slight discount if you book a round trip. If you have multiple passengers, it's actually not that much more expensive, the family of 6 traveling with me paid less than $70 for the whole family.

They were very professional, called me the day before to confirm on my cell phone and were exactly on time to pick me up. I got to the airport with plenty of time to make my flight, 2 hours before hand. I reserved online and then paid with my credit card at the van.

Maui Hotels

Haleakala National Park Hotels
49 Reviews - 161 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

• May 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My experience with Alamo on Maui was not so pleasant. The car was infested with ants and we had to take it back to the airport as they had closed all the offices on our side of the island. The car was so low to the ground that the bumper scraped on the parking curbs. When we returned the car for an antless model the attendant immediately picked up on the damage to the underside of the bumper and we got a bill for $800 for repairs. I wrote the company to complain and never heard back. Plenty of nasty-grams for collection tho. Finally paid them when they threatened to take us to a collection agency.

Maui Transportation

Reviews and photos of Maui transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui