Getting Around Maui

Most Viewed Transportation in Maui

Arrival Via Cruise Ship

by cjg1 Updated Mar 13, 2015

My wife and I arrived in Maui in 2013 on the Celebrity Century from San Diego. We were on a fifteen night cruise of Hawaii for my 40th birthday. I found this to be a fun and different way to vist Hawaii and was glad I did. We saw so many amazing sights from our balcony such as Humpback whales in Maui and the Lava Flow at night on the Big Island.

Maui is a tender port so we were loaded onto smaller boats to taxi us to the pier in Lahaina. It was a quick trip to Lahaina. Getting back to the ship proved interesting as the water got so rough we were really tossed about in the boat. We all had to jump from the tender to the platform on the ship to get off the tender. It was interesting to say the least.

Arrival Morning

Taxi

by cjg1 Updated Jan 14, 2015

We have only needed a taxi once during our visits. We were too tired to wait to take the bus back from Kannapali to Lahaina so we hopped into a taxi. It was a $15 fare form the Whaler's Village to Old Town Lahaina and very comfortable.

American Airlines directly to Maui

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 13, 2015

American Airlines is my choice of airline and we have flown with AA directly from the mainland on several occasions. Prices can be slightly higher than the competitors, but I have top-tier status and the extra few dollars is worth it to me.

Our flights always originate from NYC and a connection is always involved. The duration of the flight (in total flying hours) is about 10 hours. We have connected in all the airports, but prefer to connect in LA. If you connect in Chicago or Dallas, you may encounter a greater chance of weather related delays.

The flights from the mainland are considered domestic and unless you are flying up in Business/First, food is not served. There is food for purchase on board, which are a variety of sandwiches, salads, cheese and crackers, hummus, and assorted chips and cookies.

If we aren't flying up front, then we will usually grab a bit to eat before boarding and always bring along sandwiches, snacks and drinks.

• Luxury Travel
    • Spa and Resort

Hawaiian Airlines to Kuhului Airport

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 13, 2015

We have flown to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines a few times transiting through Oahu due to better pricing of fares and their wide range of flight schedules. Depending on which island you travel from you will find fares as low as $29 each way.

We've always experience excellent service and the flights have always been on time. Check out their website for more fares and flight information to your desired piece of paradise!

We've paid on average $39-$69 each way to the three islands we have visited.

• Spa and Resort
    • National/State Park

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rent a jeep or convertible

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 13, 2015

The best way to explore the many beautiful parts of the island of Maui is by car. I would recommend that you arrange for your rental from home to secure better rates and the type of car you desire. We secured our Jeep, convertible and regular car from home and we got the best rates available from Thrifty. We usually rent with them and find that Thrifty has some of the best competitive rates around.

Kahului Airport has all the major car rental companies and they all have courtesy desks where you can also arrange for a car rental if you didn't do so from home. There is a designated area for each of the car companies where a courtesy shuttle bus will pick you up and transport you to the rental ofiice which are located just outside of the airport.

Waiting area for the car rental shuttle Car rental shuttle
    • National/State Park

Exploring on Foot

by cjg1 Updated Jan 13, 2015

We did alot of exploring on foot during our trips to Maui. Whether it was Wailea, Kannapali, Lahaina or along the many attractions of the Road to Hana we enjoyed our discoveries walking afforded us. Walking is a always a good way to see a place and the things you'd normally miss if you were in a car.

Roberts Hawaii

by cjg1 Written Jan 13, 2015

Roberts Hawaii is a good option if you want a shuttle to your resort or to the airport. They have a counter right in baggage claim at the airport so you don't need to pre-book if you don't want to. We chose to wait until we arrive then schedule our transport. We only waited 15 minutes before our driver loaded our luggage and had us on our way to the Andaz.

Prices were good in my opinion as $40 per person for roundtrip service. We booked our return trip to the airport and were given a number to confirm pick up the day before departure. This was an incredible, quick and easy process that delivered on time and friendly service. I would definitely use them again in the future.

AA to Maui

by cjg1 Updated Jan 13, 2015

This was our first flight to Maui from the mainland. We flew from Hartford to Dallas then directly to Kahului Airport. We had a good flight and made sure to bring snacks for the journey as no meals are served on the flight since it is domestic. There are always snacks avaialble for purchase but we chose to bring our own.

We were fortunate that on our flight home we were upgraded and were able to enjoy the meal and the comfortable seats of first class back to Dallas.

Kahului Airport

by cjg1 Updated Jan 13, 2015

It's not the best or the worst airport I have been to. They have limited shopping and food options but I'm here for the flight not the shopping or food. The two complaints I have here is that there are not enough seats in the terminal and not a single vending machine on property worked. My wife and I wandered back to the shopping area just to get a beverage before catching our much delayed flight home.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo

Hitch Hike

by briantravelman Written Jan 22, 2014

Hitch hiking used to be illegal in Maui, but it was legalized a few years ago, and now it is a great way to see the island. When we were traveling the Road To Hana, we saw a couple of students hitch hiking. We even picked one of them up. Most people who stop for them are other tourists, so it's a really good way to meet people.
    I wouldn't recommend it, if you are on a tight schedule, but if you're not in a rush, it's a really good way to explore the island.
    Definitely recommend it for backpackers who are on a tight budget.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Alamo Car Rental - good co. and good car

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 4, 2011

We rented a car with Alamo and we were pleased with their service and our car. Upon arrival at Kalahui Airport we walked over to the Alamo area. They directed us to wait for their bus to pick us up and take us to the car rental area. We had to wait about 10 mins. for the bus and we quickly filled the bus and others had to wait for the next bus. Upon getting to the rental office we had to wait in line for at least 15 mins. This was our first taste of Maui time. Anyways they were friendly and we were rented a Chevy Malibu. This was a surprisingly great car. It was perfect for driving the Island and it was great on gas. Upon returning the car they didn't even really inspect it; thought this was strange but apparently they aren't too picky about a scratch or two as they customer service rep said it is Maui scratches etc. will happen.

Tip: Most people ignore the car rental driving restrictions, ie. no driving the Northwest tip of Maui or the entire loop of Hana.

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Rent A Car on Maui

by Erin74 Updated Apr 4, 2011

GETTING AROUND MAUI:

You will need to rent a car on this island. Public transportation is not readily available here and you'll need a car to get to and from all the sights.

You do not need a convertible or Jeep. A standard rental car will do just fine. Actually, I think that renting a fancy car on Maui just marks you as a tourist and makes your vehicle more likely to be broken into (this is a problem on Maui!).

When you arrive on Maui at Kahului Airport, there are a number of rental car agencies located at the airport. The info:

Alamo Rent-A-Car

1-877-283-0898

• dlytle's Profile Photo

Maui Hawaii's Kahului Airport

by dlytle Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kahului Airport is located on the northern edge of the land bridge between Haleakala and the West Maui Mountain Range on the island of Maui. The airport is located three miles east of the town of Kahului.

This is a very nice and well kept facility. You will have little to no trouble finding your way from the terminal to baggage claim. There is a nice photo opportunity to catch a brightly colored Welcome to Maui Sign as you take the escalator down to baggage claim.

Airport terminal buildings at Maui
    • Business Travel

• Maui Cruisers great deal

by TRAVELBUGMAUI Written Oct 19, 2010

We rented a car from this company and were totally happy with car and the service!
    It was exactly what we wanted, an older car that apparently had been lovingly maintained
    and put us right under the radar and kept us looking local!
    We took "Susie" as we named her to Hana , Haleakala , Makena Big Beach and all over Maui,
    putting almost 300 miles on her in a week.
    The owner, Paul, is a total barrel of laughs but the best part was we had absolutely no problems with his car and we highly recommend Maui Cruisers if you are on a budget and want to
    blend in with the locals there.

• Adventure Travel

• mauicowboy's Profile Photo

Maui Car Rental

by mauicowboy Updated Apr 4, 2010

Don't forget to give Priceline.com a try. I always first find the best deal I can on a car rental and make the reservation and then try to beat the price with Priceline. If I get my reservation on Priceline I can then go back and cancel my car reservation.

There is a great website out there called http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com where people post there Priceline successes so you can get a feel for what you might be able to do on Priceline. I just checked the biddingfortravel website and see that somebody was able to rent a convertible on Maui for $25/day for April 6-13. There are other great deals like a full size car on Maui for $11/day 5/11 - 5/18.

If you're looking for activities, beaches to go to, or still need a place to stay then check out http://www.GetLostInMaui.com for some great ideas. Enjoy your trip. I'm heading back there in a couple weeks myself and can't wait!

• Seniors

Paia Hotels
5 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

• May 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My experience with Alamo on Maui was not so pleasant. The car was infested with ants and we had to take it back to the airport as they had closed all the offices on our side of the island. The car was so low to the ground that the bumper scraped on the parking curbs. When we returned the car for an antless model the attendant immediately picked up on the damage to the underside of the bumper and we got a bill for $800 for repairs. I wrote the company to complain and never heard back. Plenty of nasty-grams for collection tho. Finally paid them when they threatened to take us to a collection agency.

Maui Transportation

Reviews and photos of Maui transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui