Getting Around Maui

Most Viewed Transportation in Maui

• rodrigonp's Profile Photo

Buses on Maui

by rodrigonp Updated Mar 21, 2007

Unfortunately the public transportation on Maui it's not the best I've seen and there's only bus as a vehicle to road around. Every bus goes to Kahului (the biggest city on the island) and to go from one place to the other one it can take you more than 3 hours because you'll have to go to Kahului first and then go to your place.

For example, If you wanna go from Kihei (southwest) to Lahaina (northwest) it takes more than 2 hours because the bus passes every 1 hour and you'll have to drop off in the middle of the way and take another bus line to Lahaina.

The last bus of every line, if I'm not wrong, passes 9 pm.

• Study Abroad

• jackofspades's Profile Photo

Get a Jeep 4x4

by jackofspades Written May 25, 2006

Rent a 4x4, and you won't be disappointed. On the way to Hana and also around the southern tip of the island, it is a little rough. We were able to drive all the way around the southern tip, where the road is inaccessible by sedans. Although we saw some people still driving it through. I feel really bad for the car rental agency. They were going super super slow. It was a quite an adventure.

• Adventure Travel

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Use Maps in "Maui Driver's Guide"

by Albernfrau Written Apr 24, 2006

At the airport or around town grab the "Maui Drive Guide - MAUI MAPS" as there are great maps in here as well as a detailed description of the entire Island with things to see and do. There are so many magazines to choose from and it can get overwhelming so just pick this one up as it has it all.

• Beaches

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Rent a Wreck - Literally

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 20, 2006

I cracked up when I saw this car lot. I thought it was a joke as it was full of beater vehicles for rent. My husband told me Maui is famous for renting wrecks! Anyways check it out if you want a really cheap ride! The lot we saw was near Kahului Harbor and was called Rainbow Rent-a-Car. Their website shows only nice cars and claims to have the lowest rates in Maui. I guess you have to check it out yourself.

• Beaches

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

You MUST rent a car!

by BlueCollar Updated Mar 18, 2006

To explore all that Maui has to offer in the way of natural beauty, you must have a car. All of the big names in rental cars are available here and anyone of them is as convenient as the next. So shop around and see who is cheapest.

For this trip we found a great deal on a fullsize Grand Prix GT from Hertz.

Our car parked in front of our cottage near Kipahulu. The small, somewhat single-lane road behind the car is the "Hana Highway" between Hana and Pools of `Ohe`o.

Return to my Maui page.

Return to my main Hawai`i page.

Read description to right

• Rent a Jeep!!

by ecrivain Written Jan 13, 2006

I rented a Jeep when I was in Maui from a good local "rent-a-wreck" type company. Very economical and I wouldn't have wanted any other vehicle. My Jeep had only a partial soft-shell top which was great to experience the sun, wonderful smells, and full-view of Maui while driving around. I highly recommend renting a Jeep. Watching tourists drive around in sedans with the windows rolled up made me sad for them! I did attract some attention though from all the hitchhiking surfers/locals trying to get from one beach/town. My Jeep was a local-type vehicle and so they must have thought I was a local. Though I would never recommend anyone pick up a hitchhiker anywhere, it seems that hitchhiking is a common occurence- many younger people on the island do not have cars.

• supune's Profile Photo

Renting a car is a good investment

by supune Written Dec 16, 2005

You can cover the whole island in 24 hours. If you plan it right, you can spend one or two days covering the whole island. Find your favorite spots and set up shop afterwards. The tours offered at our hotel were all $70 and above! It's much better to make your own adventure if you have your own wheels. Renting a midsize car from Avis in Kaanapali for one day and driving 254 miles was $57. You can buy a tour CD from gas stations for $10-20 or use a free guide book from the car rental or activity booth.

There is a lot to see. One problem is that it's very rare to see a speed limit above 45mi/hr. But there are lots of fun roads to drive on. The Road to Hana is always recommended. Make sure you take your swiming gear and rain gear in with you if you plan to hike around.

• MissR6's Profile Photo

Bus System Maui

by MissR6 Written Nov 29, 2005

Well, if you think Maui is quite big so it MUST have the same great bus system they have on Oahu ... forget about it! I could not find a single bus, not speaking about bus stops ... But hey, just be flexible and get your thumb up! Hitchhiking is the way to get around. There`ll always be a pick-up which gives you a ride to the next place you wanna go to. Just take a lot at the guy driving - if you feel uncomfortable do not hesitate to put the offer down! But I (female) and my female friend never felt that way - we met a bunch of great people on the road! So hang loose!

We got a ride!

• msaardvark's Profile Photo

Driving to Hana and Beyond

by msaardvark Written Oct 22, 2005

If you intend to drive the Road to Hana during your visit to Maui I would recommend a smaller rather than larger rental car. There are many "pull outs" along the road and it's much easier to squeeze a small car into those crowded areas. Also, if you go completely around the volcano to the southern side it's easier in a small car. Contrary to what you might read, the road south of Hana is not all that bad. It does get a bit bumpy and narrow but nearly as bad as they make it out to be. Have fun.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Do NOT rent a jeep from Dollar on Maui

by KiKitC Written Sep 10, 2005

First observation...renting a vehicle in Maui is more expensive than the other islands. We got our reservation through Dollar for a jeep, which is by the way the kind of transportation you'll want on Maui. We go in late, and is was well into the night when we picked up the jeep. IMPOTANT TIP: Before you drive off, check the vehicle all around. We assumed the jeep was in good condition. It seemed very new. The next morning, while loading the jeep for a day trip, we noticed that one of the extra front lights was broken off and strategically placed in the front push bar, so as not to fall out. Well, this wasn't our damage and we weren't about to be held responsible for fixing it. So, instead of going snorkeling, we headed right back to the airport to exchange the vehicle.

It got worse. They reluctantly took the vehicle back in, without charing us for the damage, and gave us the keys to another Jeep. Now, rental companies say you're not supposed to take the vehicles off road...right. The Jeep they gave us was COVERED in mud. Not even a courtesy wipe of the door handle was given. We refused to take this dirty vehicle, and mrached back in for yet another Jeep. Now, the next Jeep we were given to keys to was definaetly older, rather filthy, and we decided to check it out anyway. I went to put the rental information into the glove box, which fell off and to the floor with one touch of the hand.

So, back into the rental office, for yet another vehicle. We got yet another set of keys. This vehicle also hadn't been cleaned, and I'm willing to bet after riding in it, not maintained. The vehicle hadn't been washed in what looked like two years, and personal belongings from the last renter were still in the vehicle.

We spent two hours trying to get a decent vehicle. This certainly did not fit the bill, but we settled. I informed the desk agent about how dirty it was, and that the personal property of the last renter was in it, but we'd settle for it.

Dollar did not offer ANY form of compensation or apology.

One of the many jeeps

• TeaInChina's Profile Photo

Car, Scooter, Motorcycle, Skate, Walk, You Name It

by TeaInChina Updated Jul 25, 2005

Rent A Car at the Airport in Kahului, Maui and head south to get to Kihe'i, Lahaina or other distinations island-wide. If you can't do that, take a cab, airport shuttle, or hitchhike, whatever it takes to get you there. Once there, you can walk, ride a bike, drive, skate, whatever suits your taste and budget. NOTE: There is no public bus in Maui. There is a shopping bus that was really expensive that will take you from Wailea, Kihe'i, Kahului, Lahaina, and Ka'anapali. Get the brochure at the airport; the schedule varies but is not flexible.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ALOHA AIRLINES

by LoriPori Written Mar 10, 2005

For our day trip to Maui, we were to fly on ALOHA AIRLINES which offers convenient flights throughout the Hawaiian Islands. It was a short flight, about 40 minutes. Not long after we took off, we were landing already.
    FAA Security tax of $5.00 per person is charged.

Aloha Airlines

• fitbod's Profile Photo

A Necessity !!

by fitbod Written Feb 25, 2005

If you go on the road trip to Hana, which is a "must-do, then you MUST rent a convertible....and let the top down!! Otherwise you will surely suffer from "rubber-necking-itis" trying to see around all the 100's of curves like the hind legs of a dog! And you will miss a whole heck of a lot of nice sights and fresh air! So give it up and rent a convertible!! You know you want to!

Along the road to Hana
    • Eco-Tourism

• Brock216's Profile Photo

Car Rental

by Brock216 Updated Feb 24, 2005

I have found that the best way to see the island is to rent a car. this way you can explore the many remote areas of the island. this comes in handy if youre into the outdoors and want to discover the parks. you can get deals for as cheap as 20 dollars a day from most of the major rental agencies in the airport, but reserve ahead... if you are under the age of 26 (like me) most of the major companies will , very unfairly i believe, charge you more than twice the regular price because of higher insurance costs for the youngsters. But there is a solution,,, there are several smaller non-chain rental agencies that will not bill you extra. they are located in town so you will have to take a bus or taxi to them. i would recomend looking in the local yellow pages, you can also do this online....

• rstary's Profile Photo

Easy to get around

by rstary Written Nov 11, 2004

There are only a few main highways. You leave the airport on Hwy 380. You take 31/310 to Wailea and Hwy 30 to Lahaina, Kahana, Kapalua and Kannapali.

Hwy 36 branches off of 380. This is the Hana Highway. That's about all you need to know.

Maui Hotels

Makawao Hotels
5 Reviews - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

• May 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My experience with Alamo on Maui was not so pleasant. The car was infested with ants and we had to take it back to the airport as they had closed all the offices on our side of the island. The car was so low to the ground that the bumper scraped on the parking curbs. When we returned the car for an antless model the attendant immediately picked up on the damage to the underside of the bumper and we got a bill for $800 for repairs. I wrote the company to complain and never heard back. Plenty of nasty-grams for collection tho. Finally paid them when they threatened to take us to a collection agency.

Maui Transportation

Reviews and photos of Maui transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui