Getting Around Maui

Most Viewed Transportation in Maui

• Maui with NO car ? At Christmas time ? Well YES !!

by Webfoot55 Written Jan 1, 2010

Just got back from a week on Maui. Our Christmas present to each other.
    Problem was we screwed up our car rental reservation, so NO car. At the busiest time of the year no less.
    How did that work out ? Well here's what we did and what our transportation costs added up to.

We stayed at the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei. The speedy shuttle from the airport cost $35

The next day we took the public bus down to Wailea to walk the beaches. Transportation cost was $4

We took a van tour around the island. They picked us up at the hotel. Transportation cost was zero.

We took the public bus up to Maalaea for a snorkeling trip to Lanai and Molokini. Transportation cost $4

We did the helicopter trip around the volcano. Taxi to and from the heliport was $80.

We took the ferry out of Lahaina to Molokai for a bus tour. Taxi to and from the dock in Lahaina was $120. We could have taken the public buses back to the hotel for $4, but my wife was getting nervous about the timing.

Yes these were all package tours we did, but it turns out they all added up in cost (roughly) to what we were going to pay for the car rental. And yes there were some places we didn't get to, but we did ok for our first visit.

Best of all I didn't have to drive. I could kick back and enjoy the views for once.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• iammon's Profile Photo

Rental car

by iammon Updated Jul 4, 2008

This is an entry more for myself as sometimes people ask me and I do not remember: We rented a mid size car with Dollar one week was 97.95 plus 38$ (!) per day insurance. Including tax and everything it was finally 420$ for a week. Additional driver would have been 10$ more a day. Car was in perfect condition however. Rental car is highly recommended for Maui.

Our Charger

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo

Rent a Car

by SteveOSF Written Dec 10, 2007

Most visitors to Maui will arrive at Kahului Airport (OGG) in north most portion of Central Maui. However, the majority of the resorts and hotels are located at western Maui. It is beneficial to rent a car right at the airport. A car is typically the best way to get to your lodging, as it is about an hours drive from the airport to the west coast of the island. A vehicle will also provide you with transportation to explore the island and visit the island's attractions, restaurants, and shops.

A rental car on Maui
    • Study Abroad

• Sorry but you have got to rent a car to see it all

by kcbrit Written Sep 2, 2007

We got our car rental in a package with the plane. Used Dollar rental. very friendl and the car (Dodge 4-door) was enough for two people. Otherwise you are stuck and can't see the island without doing bus tours. Which might suit some people. Gas is expensive to Americans but not unreasonable seeing as the island is quite small.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Renting a car

by Dabs Written Jul 29, 2007

Having a car on Maui is almost a necessity, I suppose if you stay in a resort and spend a lot of time there and do organized day trips that you do not have to have one but otherwise it's essential.

I didn't do the research on renting the car, we ended up renting a Toyota Corolla which got great gas mileage for $288 for 8 days from Dollar, rented at the airport. Gas is more expensive in Hawaii than where I am from (Chicago) so it was nice to have a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle.

We somehow managed to miss traffic jams but a guy on my van was remarking on a traffic jam that he got caught in near Lahaina where it took him 40 minutes to go a couple of miles. And if you are thinking about doing the road to Hana, you might investigate the best time to do this as it gets jammed.

There are certain roads in Maui that you are not allowed to take rental cars on, check with your rental company, if you happen to break down on one of these roads, I understand you void the contract and are responsible for damages. Some of the roads in Maui are very tough to drive, lots of twists and turns, you can usually spot these on the map, the road to Hana is one of them and the road to the summit of Haleakala is another.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Shuttle to the airport

by Dabs Written Jul 25, 2007

Although we rented a car for our stay on Maui, my flight left 12 hours earlier than everyone else's so I decided to get a shuttle to return to the airport, I'm sure much to the relief of all the other three who were sound asleep when I left at 5:20 am. I chose Speedishuttle which was $49.13 for a one way ride from Kaanapali, there's a slight discount if you book a round trip. If you have multiple passengers, it's actually not that much more expensive, the family of 6 traveling with me paid less than $70 for the whole family.

They were very professional, called me the day before to confirm on my cell phone and were exactly on time to pick me up. I got to the airport with plenty of time to make my flight, 2 hours before hand. I reserved online and then paid with my credit card at the van.

• rodrigonp's Profile Photo

Buses on Maui

by rodrigonp Updated Mar 21, 2007

Unfortunately the public transportation on Maui it's not the best I've seen and there's only bus as a vehicle to road around. Every bus goes to Kahului (the biggest city on the island) and to go from one place to the other one it can take you more than 3 hours because you'll have to go to Kahului first and then go to your place.

For example, If you wanna go from Kihei (southwest) to Lahaina (northwest) it takes more than 2 hours because the bus passes every 1 hour and you'll have to drop off in the middle of the way and take another bus line to Lahaina.

The last bus of every line, if I'm not wrong, passes 9 pm.

• Study Abroad

• jackofspades's Profile Photo

Get a Jeep 4x4

by jackofspades Written May 25, 2006

Rent a 4x4, and you won't be disappointed. On the way to Hana and also around the southern tip of the island, it is a little rough. We were able to drive all the way around the southern tip, where the road is inaccessible by sedans. Although we saw some people still driving it through. I feel really bad for the car rental agency. They were going super super slow. It was a quite an adventure.

• Adventure Travel

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Use Maps in "Maui Driver's Guide"

by Albernfrau Written Apr 24, 2006

At the airport or around town grab the "Maui Drive Guide - MAUI MAPS" as there are great maps in here as well as a detailed description of the entire Island with things to see and do. There are so many magazines to choose from and it can get overwhelming so just pick this one up as it has it all.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Rent a Wreck - Literally

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 20, 2006

I cracked up when I saw this car lot. I thought it was a joke as it was full of beater vehicles for rent. My husband told me Maui is famous for renting wrecks! Anyways check it out if you want a really cheap ride! The lot we saw was near Kahului Harbor and was called Rainbow Rent-a-Car. Their website shows only nice cars and claims to have the lowest rates in Maui. I guess you have to check it out yourself.

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

You MUST rent a car!

by BlueCollar Updated Mar 18, 2006

To explore all that Maui has to offer in the way of natural beauty, you must have a car. All of the big names in rental cars are available here and anyone of them is as convenient as the next. So shop around and see who is cheapest.

For this trip we found a great deal on a fullsize Grand Prix GT from Hertz.

Our car parked in front of our cottage near Kipahulu. The small, somewhat single-lane road behind the car is the "Hana Highway" between Hana and Pools of `Ohe`o.

Return to my Maui page.

Return to my main Hawai`i page.

Read description to right

• Rent a Jeep!!

by ecrivain Written Jan 13, 2006

I rented a Jeep when I was in Maui from a good local "rent-a-wreck" type company. Very economical and I wouldn't have wanted any other vehicle. My Jeep had only a partial soft-shell top which was great to experience the sun, wonderful smells, and full-view of Maui while driving around. I highly recommend renting a Jeep. Watching tourists drive around in sedans with the windows rolled up made me sad for them! I did attract some attention though from all the hitchhiking surfers/locals trying to get from one beach/town. My Jeep was a local-type vehicle and so they must have thought I was a local. Though I would never recommend anyone pick up a hitchhiker anywhere, it seems that hitchhiking is a common occurence- many younger people on the island do not have cars.

• supune's Profile Photo

Renting a car is a good investment

by supune Written Dec 16, 2005

You can cover the whole island in 24 hours. If you plan it right, you can spend one or two days covering the whole island. Find your favorite spots and set up shop afterwards. The tours offered at our hotel were all $70 and above! It's much better to make your own adventure if you have your own wheels. Renting a midsize car from Avis in Kaanapali for one day and driving 254 miles was $57. You can buy a tour CD from gas stations for $10-20 or use a free guide book from the car rental or activity booth.

There is a lot to see. One problem is that it's very rare to see a speed limit above 45mi/hr. But there are lots of fun roads to drive on. The Road to Hana is always recommended. Make sure you take your swiming gear and rain gear in with you if you plan to hike around.

• MissR6's Profile Photo

Bus System Maui

by MissR6 Written Nov 29, 2005

Well, if you think Maui is quite big so it MUST have the same great bus system they have on Oahu ... forget about it! I could not find a single bus, not speaking about bus stops ... But hey, just be flexible and get your thumb up! Hitchhiking is the way to get around. There`ll always be a pick-up which gives you a ride to the next place you wanna go to. Just take a lot at the guy driving - if you feel uncomfortable do not hesitate to put the offer down! But I (female) and my female friend never felt that way - we met a bunch of great people on the road! So hang loose!

We got a ride!

• msaardvark's Profile Photo

Driving to Hana and Beyond

by msaardvark Written Oct 22, 2005

If you intend to drive the Road to Hana during your visit to Maui I would recommend a smaller rather than larger rental car. There are many "pull outs" along the road and it's much easier to squeeze a small car into those crowded areas. Also, if you go completely around the volcano to the southern side it's easier in a small car. Contrary to what you might read, the road south of Hana is not all that bad. It does get a bit bumpy and narrow but nearly as bad as they make it out to be. Have fun.

Maui Hotels

Paia Hotels
5 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

• May 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My experience with Alamo on Maui was not so pleasant. The car was infested with ants and we had to take it back to the airport as they had closed all the offices on our side of the island. The car was so low to the ground that the bumper scraped on the parking curbs. When we returned the car for an antless model the attendant immediately picked up on the damage to the underside of the bumper and we got a bill for $800 for repairs. I wrote the company to complain and never heard back. Plenty of nasty-grams for collection tho. Finally paid them when they threatened to take us to a collection agency.

Maui Transportation

Reviews and photos of Maui transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui