Getting Around Maui

Most Viewed Transportation in Maui

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Do NOT rent a jeep from Dollar on Maui

by KiKitC Written Sep 10, 2005

First observation...renting a vehicle in Maui is more expensive than the other islands. We got our reservation through Dollar for a jeep, which is by the way the kind of transportation you'll want on Maui. We go in late, and is was well into the night when we picked up the jeep. IMPOTANT TIP: Before you drive off, check the vehicle all around. We assumed the jeep was in good condition. It seemed very new. The next morning, while loading the jeep for a day trip, we noticed that one of the extra front lights was broken off and strategically placed in the front push bar, so as not to fall out. Well, this wasn't our damage and we weren't about to be held responsible for fixing it. So, instead of going snorkeling, we headed right back to the airport to exchange the vehicle.

It got worse. They reluctantly took the vehicle back in, without charing us for the damage, and gave us the keys to another Jeep. Now, rental companies say you're not supposed to take the vehicles off road...right. The Jeep they gave us was COVERED in mud. Not even a courtesy wipe of the door handle was given. We refused to take this dirty vehicle, and mrached back in for yet another Jeep. Now, the next Jeep we were given to keys to was definaetly older, rather filthy, and we decided to check it out anyway. I went to put the rental information into the glove box, which fell off and to the floor with one touch of the hand.

So, back into the rental office, for yet another vehicle. We got yet another set of keys. This vehicle also hadn't been cleaned, and I'm willing to bet after riding in it, not maintained. The vehicle hadn't been washed in what looked like two years, and personal belongings from the last renter were still in the vehicle.

We spent two hours trying to get a decent vehicle. This certainly did not fit the bill, but we settled. I informed the desk agent about how dirty it was, and that the personal property of the last renter was in it, but we'd settle for it.

Dollar did not offer ANY form of compensation or apology.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ALOHA AIRLINES

by LoriPori Written Mar 10, 2005

For our day trip to Maui, we were to fly on ALOHA AIRLINES which offers convenient flights throughout the Hawaiian Islands. It was a short flight, about 40 minutes. Not long after we took off, we were landing already.
    FAA Security tax of $5.00 per person is charged.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Hawaiian Airlines to Kuhului Airport

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I have always choosen to fly Hawaiian Airlines every time we have flown to Maui if we stop in Oahu first due to their excellent fares and wide range of flight schedules. Depending on which island you travel from you will find fares as low as $29 each way.

We've always experience excellent service and the flights have always been on time. Check out their website for more fares and flight information to your desired piece of paradise!

We've paid on average $39-$69 each way to the three islands we have visited.

• Spa and Resort
    • National/State Park

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Rent a jeep or convertible

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

The best way to explore the many beautiful parts of the island of Maui is by car. I would recommend that you arrange for your rental from home to secure better rates and the type of car you desire. Ferni and I secured our Jeep, convertible and regular car from home and we got the best rates available from Thrifty. We usually rent with them and find that Thrifty has some of the best competitive rates around.

Maui Airport has all the major car rental companies and they all have courtesy desks where you can also arrange for a car rental if you didn't do so from home. There is a designated area for each of the car companies where a courtesy shuttle bus will pick you up and transport you to the rental ofiice which are located just outside of the airport.

• National/State Park

• whitneyone's Profile Photo

Boating choices

by whitneyone Written Sep 23, 2003

If you want to take a snorkel boat, and you know you do, you can pick up a copy of "Maui Revealed" which lists the best of the crop. You can get overwhelmed by the coupons, offers and magazines otherwise. This boat was not their top choice, but it was exactly what we were looking for. The Ocean Odyssy run by the Pacific Whale Foundation. Snorkeling as a whole day event. We started at 8:45 and got back at 3 after snorkeling both Molokina and Lana'i which was SUCH a beautiful underwater surprise! I'm praying those photos come out! Great gift shop after your trip.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Arrival Via Cruise Ship

by cjg1 Updated Mar 8, 2013

My wife and I arrived in Maui in 2013 on the Celebrity Century. We were on a fifteen night cruise of Hawaii for my 40th birthday. I found this to be a fun and different way to vist Hawaii and was glad I did.

Maui is a tender port so we were loaded onto smaller boats to taxi us to the pier in Lahaina.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Use Maps in "Maui Driver's Guide"

by Albernfrau Written Apr 24, 2006

At the airport or around town grab the "Maui Drive Guide - MAUI MAPS" as there are great maps in here as well as a detailed description of the entire Island with things to see and do. There are so many magazines to choose from and it can get overwhelming so just pick this one up as it has it all.

• Beaches

• spartan's Profile Photo

Kahului Airport

by spartan Updated May 5, 2003

Kahului Airport is located on the northern edge of the land bridge between Haleakala and the West Maui Mountain Range on the island of Maui. There are direct flights from both the U.S. and Canada and it's and easy place to navigate. For car rentals, you'll have to get on a shuttle bus, so if you have lots of luggage, I'd suggest that someone retrieve the bags and the other get the car.

• soulanjuli's Profile Photo

The best way to see most of the island

by soulanjuli Updated Apr 26, 2003

If taking a helicopter tour is not an option, the best way to see most of the island is by renting a convertible. My brother Robin and cousin Rajiv, both 17 years-old, persuaded our parents to rent them a BMW roadster, YIKES! They had a blast zooming around Maui. As for me, I rented a mustang convertible instead because it was a lot cheaper than the roadster.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Rental Cars

by seamandrew Written Mar 31, 2003

Your requirements for a car will be based solely on what is on your agenda during your trip. If you plan on staying by the resorts and not visiting any of the sites on the east side of the island, or in the northwest part, then I highly recommend getting a car with a convertible top. The weather in Maui is delightful and the "soft" top is a big plus!

If your trip will include locations like the Pools of 'Ohe'o or the area up by the blowhole then I strongly recommend you get a 4 x 4 vehicle.

To have the best of both worlds, try what Elisabeth and I did. We followed a recommendation we received prior to our trip and now we pass it along to you. Ask for a Jeep Wrangler with convertible top. It was awesome. Not only did we have the versatility and dependability of 4 x 4 drive in those precarious situations, but we also got to enjoy the great Maui weather. It is a bit tedious to bring the top down and back up again, but well worth the hassle.

We rented with Hertz. We got a great deal too. I recommend reserving a mid-size car and when you arrive at the counter, ask for an upgrade there. They usually offer you a cheaper rate for the car upgrade. We paid about $360 for 5 days for the Jeep Wrangler. The guy before us (who incidentally left his receipt in the glove compartment of the vehicle) paid $720 for 5 days. I'm telling you this pays off!

Have fun and try not to let the very low speed limit make you go crazy. Just remember you're on the island to relax and you have all day to do just that!

• Adventure Travel

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Flying into the Maui

by seamandrew Written Mar 31, 2003

Flying into Maui is based mostly out of Kahului Airport (OGG) in the town of Kahului. Airlines like United, American, Delta, Air Canada and several others operate daily flights to this location. There are two other airports (Kapalua and Hana) which are used mostly by small charter planes and the local Hawaiian airlines. I recommend Kahului because the car rental locations are just a short shuttle trip away. I don't know of any direct flights from the east coast but there are direct flights to Kahului from cities like San Fransisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Denver, and Houston. Remember to book early for the best deals! Always fly the friendly skies!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Airplane from Oahu to Maui, with Aloha Island Air.

by Waalewiener Written Apr 3, 2003

Aloha Airlines provides a good service
    between Islands We took a flight from Oahu to Maui, short 35 minute flight with a great view at both Oahu and Maui.
    It was a comfortable flight in a good size Jet
    The Airport ticket location is H.N.L
    Honolulu International Airport.
    Hours 4.15 a.m - 7.00 pm.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Alamo Car Rental - good co. and good car

by Albernfrau Updated Apr 4, 2011

We rented a car with Alamo and we were pleased with their service and our car. Upon arrival at Kalahui Airport we walked over to the Alamo area. They directed us to wait for their bus to pick us up and take us to the car rental area. We had to wait about 10 mins. for the bus and we quickly filled the bus and others had to wait for the next bus. Upon getting to the rental office we had to wait in line for at least 15 mins. This was our first taste of Maui time. Anyways they were friendly and we were rented a Chevy Malibu. This was a surprisingly great car. It was perfect for driving the Island and it was great on gas. Upon returning the car they didn't even really inspect it; thought this was strange but apparently they aren't too picky about a scratch or two as they customer service rep said it is Maui scratches etc. will happen.

Tip: Most people ignore the car rental driving restrictions, ie. no driving the Northwest tip of Maui or the entire loop of Hana.

• Beaches

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Shuttle to the airport

by Dabs Written Jul 25, 2007

Although we rented a car for our stay on Maui, my flight left 12 hours earlier than everyone else's so I decided to get a shuttle to return to the airport, I'm sure much to the relief of all the other three who were sound asleep when I left at 5:20 am. I chose Speedishuttle which was $49.13 for a one way ride from Kaanapali, there's a slight discount if you book a round trip. If you have multiple passengers, it's actually not that much more expensive, the family of 6 traveling with me paid less than $70 for the whole family.

They were very professional, called me the day before to confirm on my cell phone and were exactly on time to pick me up. I got to the airport with plenty of time to make my flight, 2 hours before hand. I reserved online and then paid with my credit card at the van.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Renting a car

by Dabs Written Jul 29, 2007

Having a car on Maui is almost a necessity, I suppose if you stay in a resort and spend a lot of time there and do organized day trips that you do not have to have one but otherwise it's essential.

I didn't do the research on renting the car, we ended up renting a Toyota Corolla which got great gas mileage for $288 for 8 days from Dollar, rented at the airport. Gas is more expensive in Hawaii than where I am from (Chicago) so it was nice to have a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle.

We somehow managed to miss traffic jams but a guy on my van was remarking on a traffic jam that he got caught in near Lahaina where it took him 40 minutes to go a couple of miles. And if you are thinking about doing the road to Hana, you might investigate the best time to do this as it gets jammed.

There are certain roads in Maui that you are not allowed to take rental cars on, check with your rental company, if you happen to break down on one of these roads, I understand you void the contract and are responsible for damages. Some of the roads in Maui are very tough to drive, lots of twists and turns, you can usually spot these on the map, the road to Hana is one of them and the road to the summit of Haleakala is another.

Maui Hotels

Haleakala National Park Hotels
49 Reviews - 161 Photos

Instant Answers: Maui

• May 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My experience with Alamo on Maui was not so pleasant. The car was infested with ants and we had to take it back to the airport as they had closed all the offices on our side of the island. The car was so low to the ground that the bumper scraped on the parking curbs. When we returned the car for an antless model the attendant immediately picked up on the damage to the underside of the bumper and we got a bill for $800 for repairs. I wrote the company to complain and never heard back. Plenty of nasty-grams for collection tho. Finally paid them when they threatened to take us to a collection agency.

Maui Transportation

Reviews and photos of Maui transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maui sightseeing.
Map of Maui