Places to eat in Molokai

• After a tough day on the beach: Kualapu'u!!
    After a tough day on the beach:...
    by AKtravelers
    It is pronounced: koo-ah-lah-pooh-ooh
    by BlueCollar
  • I believe whole-heartedly in their claim!
    I believe whole-heartedly in their...
    by BlueCollar

Most Viewed Restaurants in Molokai

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Kanemitsu Bakery: Great breakfasts

by RickinDutch Written Jan 28, 2006

I'm not usually an early riser, but after a week or so in Molokai you find yourself sleeping when its dark and rising with the sunrise. A routine we have gotten into is driving into Kaunakakai at sunrise and heading to the Kanemitsu Bakery and getting a load or two of fresh baked bread. Very good!
    If you get there after 8 or so, you'll find the selection radically diminshed as this is a favorite of locals. But never fear - they have good hearty breakfasts and lunches. Close up around 2PM.
    Nothing fancy but clean and very tasty!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Eating Is an Adventure on Molokai

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 18, 2005

The only full service restaurant on the entire island is at the Sheraton. We ate dinner there one evening, and although the prime rib was good, we felt the place was overrated and overpriced. Our guidebook said there was a new Kentucky Fried Chicken in the village of Maunaloa, but we found it had already gone out of business.

There are a half dozen small local restaurants scattered about the island. On Sunday afternoon all of them, including Hotel Molokai, were closed. The only franschise place on the island was a Subway, which was open on The Lord's Day. Guess where we enjoyed Sunday dinner? Thank God for Subway!

Fortunately we had a condo with a full kitchen so we bought groceries at a local store and prepared some of our own meals during our stay. For our lunches out and about we packed a picnic. Karen let me do the cooking and she made the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We had a ball.

• dovalyn's Profile Photo

Kanemitsu Bakery: Homemade Molokai Breads!

by dovalyn Updated Oct 23, 2007

As someone had put it, "Unlovely but homey". Modest decor with bits of Hawaiiana here and there. They serve breakfast and lunch featuring local favorites. It's one of the cheapest dining options on Molokai. Located in the heart of Kaunakakai town and opens up very early in the morning. If you want to get your bread right out of the oven, go early. They do package for airline shipment. In addition to it's unique bread, pastries and cookies, they offer an inexpensive and hearty breakfast and lunch menu.

Favorite Dish: As for the breads, definitely any of the Molokai homemade loaves of breads. I try to call a day ahead to place my order so that I could ship them home with me. Long johns ( custard filled donuts), donut filled with fresh fruits, apple fritters and Lavosh, a light buttery flatbread made from Jalapeno, Maui onion, Parmesan, sesame and Taro flavors. The menu for breakfast and lunch are very good anywhere from their famous "loco moco" to beef stews. Or get it to go and find a place along along the stretch of Molokai, have a picnic and just watch the ocean waves at play and feel the breeze.

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Dave's Hawaiian Ice Cream: A Taste of Paradise

by BlueCollar Updated Dec 3, 2006

They have a huge selection of locally made ice cream. But I only ordered the same two flavors both times we stopped here because these two combined tasted soooo good.

I had one scoop of Haupia (Coconut Pudding) Ice Cream with one scoop of Lychee Sherbet. This mix just screams PARADISE at you!

If my body could have afforded any greater calorie consumption without any bulging side effects, I would have eaten more during our short stay on this island.

I inquired as to whether they Fed-Ex any of their products like the other ice cream maker on Maui does. They said no.

That's too bad because I would order some.

• cherylll's Profile Photo

Molokai Hotel dining/lounge: watch the sunset at dinner

by cherylll Written Feb 15, 2005

We had dinner there on a Friday evening, which is great because every Friday from 4-6 pm there is a local jamm session on musicians singing Hawaiian tunes and playing ucelales...a real treat! Afterwards the dining area is set up for dinner and the ambiance is very romantic, we had a table right on the deck, only afew feet from the beach.There are about 8 or 9 torches along the edge of the dech, lit of-course, very Polynesian as well as a local band playing beautiful Hawaiian music. Prices are reasonable and you apy for quality.

Favorite Dish: We had Mahi Mahi, one done up with a macadamien lemon butter sauce and the other done up with a caper butter sauce, very delicious. For dessert Key lime torte, also very good. Mai Tia's to drink as well.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Kualapu'u Cookhouse: The ONLY Good Food on Molokai

by AKtravelers Written Jul 11, 2008

The best food on Molokai is really the only place to get an outstanding meal on Molokai: tha Kualapu'u Cookhouse, between the grocery store and Molokai Coffees in Kualapu'u. Here you have to bring your own wine or beer, but you'll get amazingly friendly service and the best food on the island. Thet have several types of fish prepared in a variety of ways, plus beef, lamb and chicken dishes. This being Hawaii, I opted for the mahi mahi and it was delicious! But beare, the restaurant is closed on Sunday (like everything else) so plan to go there on a different night.

• BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Kualapu‘u Cookhouse: Great Local Food

by BlueCollar Written Oct 20, 2007

It has a plain and almost drab decor that seems to defy the the food being served. You'll get big portions of local favorites with plenty of friendly service.

Molokai Hotels

Top Molokai Hotels

Kaunakakai Hotels
13 Reviews - 10 Photos
Kalaupapa Hotels
Wailua Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Molokai

Comments

Molokai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Molokai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Molokai sightseeing.
Map of Molokai