Related Oahu Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Oahu

Early Morning Walks

by cjg1 Updated Mar 7, 2014

Favorite thing: My wife and I are very early risers and most mornings in oahu we were up around 4:30-5am. This is the best time to walk along the beach or street without the crowds. We enjoy watching the sky lighten up and the sun rise over the beach.

Moon over Waikiki

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Favorite thing: During our most recent trip to Waikiki; there was a nice, bright full moon. We were able to enjoy this moon while sitting on our balcony having drinks. The moon was so bright and cast a beautiful light on the beach and water below.

Manuu'i

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Favorite thing: Throughout the Hyatt waikiki Lobby and Atrium live three parrots in cages. They are colorful creatures but this one in particular Manuu'i was the frendliest and liked to put on a show when I passed by the cage. My wife was not as fan as she has a bird phobia and detests anything with feathers.

Koi

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Favorite thing: During our trip to Waikiki in 2013; we explored the Sheraton Hotel and found this great Koi pond surrounded by rocking chairs. We came back during our January 2014 and had a wonderful time relaxing on the rocking chairs in the early morning and watching the Koi. For several days we enjoyed sitting here; relaxing after breakfast. On several occasions a man came to feed the Koi and it became a frenzy of compition as to what fish got the food first.

We enjoyed looking at the beautiful color variations of the fish and my wife had fun naming them. It was so relaxing that time just stands still.

Afternoon Drink

by Gypsystravels Updated May 3, 2012

Favorite thing: One of our favorite things to do during our visits to Oahu is just relaxing and enjoying a drink in the afternoon.

Sometime after lunch and before dinner we will usually head to one of our favorite haunts and enjoy some yummy drinks. One of my favorite places is at the Pikake Terrace at the Hilton Princess Kuilani where I love their version of the Blue Hawaiian.

We also enjoy going to either at the Plantation Bar at the Hula Grill, the Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider, or at the Dukes Canoe Club and Barefoot Bar.

Fondest memory: Sitting back with my babe and enjoying the beautiful weather with a great drink and awesome conversations.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Catch a filming of Hawaii-Five-O

by Gypsystravels Updated May 3, 2012

Favorite thing: Some of the filming of the current tv series called "Hawaii Five-O" are done on the premises of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The tv series is a "remake" of a popular show which was originally aired from 1968-1980 with the original cast members of of Jack London, Richard Denning, James McArthur and Kam Fong Chun. Most people will remember the catch phrase made famous by Jack London "Book-em Danno"

Throughout the property of the Hilton Hawaiian Village you'll see signs and advertisements about the show, so if you're lucky to be here during taping, you'll get to catch the hottest new cast members, Alex O'Loughlin, Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park.

Fondest memory: Unfortunately, we didn't see any of the cast members during our stay as the hotel was brimming with the upcoming Pro Bowl and I was so busy searching for players.

Maybe next time?!!

Fireworks over the RAINBOW

by Gypsystravels Updated May 3, 2012

Favorite thing: If you find yourself in Oahu on a Friday night, try to catch the freee weekly fireworks show on Waikiki beach presented by the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The fireworks show starts about 7:45 pm every Friday night and lasts about 10 minutes. It's a really nice display of fireworks and a good time to enjoy with a loved one.

During our recent stay we were able to enjoy a great display of fireworks from our balcony at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, unfortunately, my camera couldn't quite caption the great display lighting up the skies, hopefully next time I'll caption it as Ferni recently purchased for me a great new camera.

Fondest memory: Hanging out in our balcony enjoying a glass of wine with my babe while overlooking Waikiki Beach and enjoying the sky lighting up with wonderful fireworks display.

• Luxury Travel

Amazing Sunsets

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 10, 2012

Favorite thing: I've seen many beautiful sunsets in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America, but you can find many breathtaking sunsets here on the island as well.

One of my favorite times to see a sunset is from the balcony of our hotel room with a nice glass of wine or Champagne.

It lends to the beginning of a wonderful romantic evening.

There are plenty of restaurants along Waikiki Beach that afford wonderful sunsets, as well as the beach itself.

• Beaches
    • Photography

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Travelling with a child

by joiwatani Written Oct 25, 2011

Favorite thing: When travelling with a kid in Hawaii, you must remember to have a car seat especially if you are renting a car.

Kapolei is nice and quiet because this is a town where most residents live. It is not touristsy town. If you go to the beaches here, you rarely see tourists. If there are, mostly, visitors visiting their own relatives who live in Kapolei.

The beaches' waves and current here are strong and most of the time, strong swimmers come here. There are warnings on the beaches.

You can rent a hotel in Honololu and just drive in Kapolei. It's not that far.

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

Nuuanu Pali Lookout

by kellinwood Written Sep 27, 2011

Favorite thing: The Nuuanu Pali Lookout is a scenic lookout offering spectacular views of the Ko'olau mountains and areas of the windward coast including Kailua and Kaneohe. Several placards contain information regarding the history of the area and how the road was built.

To get to the lookout from Honolulu, drive up the Pali Highway (Route 61) and take the Nuuanu Pali Lookout exit on the right. When approaching from the Windward side, the turn-off to the lookout is about half a mile past the tunnels at the top of the hill. You can also include the lookout as one of many stop in a longer drive.

It can be windy at the lookout and temperatures are generally cooler than Honolulu by about 5 - 10 degrees (F), or 2 - 5 degrees (C).

Parking at the lookout is $3.00, payable at a kiosk in the lot.

When exiting the lookout it is important to keep in mind that there are two roads into the parking lot. If you exit on the same road you arrived on, then you will end up continuing the same direction on the Pali Highway. So if your intention is to return from where you came, then be sure to use the other road to exit. If you take the wrong exit, then you'll have to drive quite a way before being able to turn around to correct the error.

• paulvir's Profile Photo

Lodging near Hilton Hawaiian Village

by paulvir Written Apr 28, 2011

Favorite thing: Place that I like is this
    This unit is in a condo that's facing the ocean, right next to Hilton Hawaiian Village. Plenty of positive review.

If you are nervous of taking chance with individual property owner but want ocean view, you can try Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki ( http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60982-d87011-Reviews-Hawaii_Prince_Hotel-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html ). Some people complain about old/worn decor and small old CRT TV sets, but all the rooms there have full ocean view. NO such thing as garden/mountain/city view.

Ala Moana Hotel is less than $150/night. It's close to beach, but not on beach.

Ala Moana condo (individual rooms sold as condo to individual buyers) is also an option. Recently renovated. I understand that some rooms of the Ala Moana Hotel building were sold off as condos during the housing boom. The condos (actually rooms) are rented by individual owners, not the Hotel management. This actually turned out to be an issue as only 3 out of 4 property owner/manager never replied to my email inquiries re reservation. One did reply very promptly to my emails. You also need to watch out for room/cleaning service. It's separate from the charge for the room, and you need to order it in advance.

All of the above 3 options (actually 2 buildings) are close to Ala Moana Mall. You can get cheap meals in the food court. List of stores at Ala Moana Mall ( http://www.alamoanacenter.com/Stores/Alphabetical-Listing.aspx ). Longs Drugs (aka CVS) is there.

Also both locations are within walking distance to Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is actually a decent destination in itself. THey have nice gardens, penguins, restaurants that you can check. Driving there will cost you a few bucks due to parking fee.

Look into The Bus for transportation around the island and also the Waikiki Trolley (http://www.waikikitrolley.com/ ) that goes up and down the waikiki area. If you are there for 10 days, you probably can have a rental car for only half of the time? You could rent it when you arrive and than return it half way through. Maybe you (or one of you) can drive to airport to return the car and than take one of the hotel shuttles back to waikiki. Or return to a local place in Waikiki.

Lastly, check out McDonalds while there for breakfast. It's 'different'. :)

Fondest memory: weather. blue ocean

• Hotel calls

by jayzon Written Jul 13, 2010

Favorite thing: Next time check the internet first :)

A few years ago same thing happened to me, I thought hotel phone calls are just little expensive than regular rates and I was wrong big time. Learned my lesson and now use calling card or VoIP for international calls from Onesuite.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Sleeping with the Waves....

by cjg1 Updated Jun 7, 2010

Fondest memory: There is nothing better in my opinion than having a beachfront room with a balcony. First off, the views are spectacular; there is no compare. Second, and my favorite is going to sleep with the balcony doors open with the sounds of the waves hitting the sand. It is truly one of my favorite things being lulled to sleep by the sound of the water. After such blissful sleep it's hard to go home and sleep without the ocean beneath our window.

Wow...the Rainbows!

by cjg1 Updated Jun 4, 2010

Fondest memory: There is nothing more spectacular than a Rainbow in the sky. They always amaze me.... During our last visit to Hawaii we had several rainbows appear in the sky. One morning we had a double rainbow over the water as we sat on the veranda to eat breakfast; it made for a beautiful setting.

• Beaches

Relaxation at its Best

by cjg1 Updated May 25, 2010

Fondest memory: One of my favorite things during our last trip to Oahu was being able to relax at our hotel; The Moana Surfrider. They really know how to make guests comfortable and relax. ALong the front veranda were several rocking chairs. My wife and I spent some significant amounts of time relaxing here after our early morning beach strolls and after a night out. This peace and calm was perfect. We were able to relax with each other and talk of current and furture plans. I think it's very therapeutic rocking along in a chair in such a beautiful place such as Oahu.

We also enjoyed watching the people walk by and the early morning/late evening happenings.

Oahu Hotels

3 Hotels
Aina Haina Hotels
Diamond Head State Monument Hotels

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Favorites

Reviews and photos of Oahu favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu