Haleiwa Restaurants

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Jamiesons By The Sea: Fine Dining overlooking the sea at Haliewa

by aussiedoug Updated Feb 26, 2005

Hawaiian Recipe Book Cover

After a wonderful day cruising the north shore in the convertible with the top down in the late afternoon, swimming at the beautiful shark's cove, taking photos of Sunset Beach, Pipeline (not a wave in sight of course at this time of year) & some gorgeous sunset photos at Waimea Bay (& of course not a wave in sight again. lol!) we cruised back into Haleiwa just in time to get a table at this wonderful restaurant

What makes it so special? In a word (don't tell me he's getting succint you say? Oh no dear reader, not a chance!!). "EVERYTHING"
    Oh no they say in unison, "He's shouting again". Well yes, but with the same rationale as before, mere enthusiasm, nothing more.

It has the food! It has the view! It has the ambience! It has the waitstaff! It has the Gift Shop (& not a tacky one either). As I said, "It has everything" (see I don't always shout when I get over enthusiastic!)

They do lunch Mon - Fri 11.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m. & Sat/Sun from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. with a Breakfast menu Sat/Sun till 12noon.
    Dinner is served nightly from 5.00 to 9.00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I had: Jamesons chowder for starters with a glass of Haahn Beck non alcoholic beer (seeing I was driving - not bad either!).
    Followed by the Opakapaka. Hawaiian pink snapper poached in white wine & topped (my choice, not the hollandaise sauce) with spicy black bean sauce. Wasn't too spicy, complementing the fish not overpowering it.

Kerry had the Baked Stuffed Shrimp which was butterfly shrimp baked with a mixture of bread crumbs, crabmeat & cheese, topped with a Hollandaise sauce. She really enjoyed that.

The girls each had the fish of the Day - grilled.

For dessert Keely had her favourite Chocolate Mousse while I was going to have Lime chiffon pie, but thaye'd run out so had instead a delicious Haipu (I've got that spelling wrong so someone please correct me) Pie.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Kono's Epic Food and Drinks: Gr8 spot for Lunch & Fantastic Frozen Mocha for me

by aussiedoug Written Jun 26, 2004

Leftside interior wall

After shopping with the girls at various spots in the North Shore Marketplace someone suggested we could get a decent value lunch here.

The interior design really tickled my fancy & this is only one of three photos that I took of the interior. As a surfer it really appealed to me & I have a neat photo of Keely sitting at a table made out of a surfboard, where we actually had our lunch.

Another really cool feature was that they had Internet access for only $1 for 10 minutes. Now that's good value in anyone's language! (the master of understatement strikes yet again. lol!).

Favorite Dish: The food wasn't too bad at all, but the thing Kerry and I both really enjoyed was our drinks.
    For her the Frozen Cappuccino hit the spot, while for me it was the Frozen Mocha that was just fantastic. Could've had a second one, but the famous North Shore surf spots were calling me.

We both had the Chicken Cobb Salad while Keely had a hot dog and Bess (Alexandra) just had a juice, not being hungry.

It's open from 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Rosie's Cantina: Go Ape for these Banana Pancakes!

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 29, 2004

Rosie's Cantina

I needed to make a pit stop on my way back to the Airport from Turtle Bay, which made the perfect reason to stop in Haleiwa for the afternoon and enjoy a stack of Banana Pancakes at Rosie's. A small cantina in a strip mall on the north side of the main drag, this made for a great place for breakfast. Other than pancakes, they also had a menu of Mexican classics like Huevos Rancheros and Chilaquiles.

• Study Abroad

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Pizza Bob's: Share a Pie!

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 29, 2004

Pizza Bob's

If you are looking for a group hangout after you catch some gnarly tubular waves, you can drop in to Pizza Bob's on the main drag through town.

There is plenty of room, and plenty of dough for you to get your fill on Pizza here.

• derats's Profile Photo

Haleiwa Joe's: Best Food on the North Shore

by derats Written Jun 1, 2003

Haleiwa Bridge

Next to the Haleiwa bridge, with a great harbor and sunset view, Haleiwa Joe's is serving up fresh local seafood such as whole Hawaiian moi, opakapaka, ahi, and whatever comes in fresh that day. This is a steak-and-seafood harborside restaurant with indoor-outdoor seating and a surf-and-turf menu that could include Parker Ranch New York steak, coconut shrimp, black-and-blue sashimi, and smoked Hawaiian ono. With sandwiches and salads, it's a great lunch stop too. There are only two Haleiwa restaurants close to the ocean, and this is one of them.

Favorite Dish: You can't miss with whatever is their Catch of the Day.

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

Haleiwa Joe's: Mouth watering

by Karlie85 Written Feb 16, 2009

After a day of exploring the delightful North Shore and lounging on Sunset Beach, my husband and I wanted a delicious Hawaiian meal. We drove through Haleiwa and saw Haleiwa Joe's. The inside is very unassuming and nice, wood panelling with old surfboards and photos on the walls. Our hostess and waitress were both very nice. I had trouble deciding between a couple of things on the menu, and our waitress explained everything wonderfully and helped me come to a decision. The atmosphere was casual and laid back.

We started with the Ahi Spring Rolls. I had the Fresh Baked (served with vegetables and rice) and my husband had the Fresh Grilled (served with Asian slaw and garlic mashed potatoes), which are different every day depending on what's fresh. The price listed on the menu is "market price", so it can vary, but I think we paid $20-$22 each. As I was eating it I could imagine it being pulled out of the ocean that very day, and now it was on my plate, presented very nicely and absolutely, melt in my mouth delicious. I was impressed with everything about this restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Haleiwa Joe's: Dinner at sunset

by CoconutGirl808 Updated Feb 12, 2003

Handsome hosts greet you at the door where you can choose to be seated either inside, or out on the patio, where you can see the beautiful sunset. It makes the evening quite romantic, especially if you are with a loved one.

Favorite Dish: First of all the prime rib is choice. They bring you this big slab of meat that melts in your mouth every single time. The seafood and desserts are awesome too.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Holy Smokes: Excellent roadside food

by Hopkid Updated Nov 25, 2006

The North Shore has become famous not only for the big wave surfing but also for the shrimp vans that set up along the road side (typically along Kam Highway) and serve up tasty fresh shrimp in a variety of sauces. We had wanted to hit Giovanni's in Haleiwa. When we found it we also saw that a rival van, Holy Smokes, had set up in the same tree-shaded area a few yards away. We chose to eat at Holy Smokes because it provided more choices for our group of nine hungry souls. Besides shrimp they also had salads, fish, chicken, beef, calamari, and ribs.

Holy Smokes definitely has the shrimp! We tried both the garlic butter sauce and the spicy teriyaki sauce. The shrimp were big and tasty! Be prepared to get messy as you have to peel the shells off but that's part of the fun! If shrimp isn't your thing then definitely go for Da' Kine Spare Ribs. Very tender with a kalbi (Korean BBQ short ribs) taste. ONO!

The owner/cook is very friendly and willing to make any kind of adjustments in seasonings. Just tell him what you want! And they have a nice screened in tent in which to eat without having to deal with those pesky flies.

Favorite Dish: Sauteed shrimp in spicy sauce, Da' Kine spare ribs

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Denny's Family Restaurant: Where is Denny's?

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 28, 2007

So, my daughter and her friends were not enjoying the complimentary breakfast provided at the Waikiki Sands Resort & Hotel. They wanted a good ol' breakfast from Denny's. I said no problem, just keep your eye out for one and I'll pull over. Hmmm...amazing that there were not billboards or signs anywhere as we were driving. Turns out, they have a law against that in Hawaii. So, we happened upon a Ruby Tuesday that doesn't serve breakfast but they were kind enough to give us directions to the Denny's that they knew of. The route took us through a pineapple field. The smell was amazing! Finally, got to our destination, a mere 20 minutes or so off our path but the girls were happy so that's all that mattered!

Favorite Dish: None. I despise Denny's. Not even the coffee is good.

There's two other locations in Waikiki
    205 Lewers St. and 2345 Kuhio Avenue, next time I'll know

and one in Aiea
    098-151 Pali Momi Street also on Oahu

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Cholo's: Not Bad for Mexican Food!

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 4, 2011

Your typical mexican restaurant. It wasn't the best I ever had but, you know, it was pretty good! I ordered 2 shrimp tacos a la carte because I wasn't all that hungry. A Pacifico to wash it down, it was delicious!

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

Can't Remember: Delicious Hamburgers

by Sweetberry1 Updated Aug 12, 2003

Hamburger..

I have forgotten the name of this eatery.. They make the absolute best Hamburgers here ;-) And I sure know a good Hamburger, when I see one... ha,ha... I am serious... The Best I have had in a long time.

Indoor/outdoor eating areas... It was so busy the day we were there, had to wait for a seat.. ;-) I was told that this place was always so busy! I wonder why??? ;-))

Favorite Dish: Ha,ha... Hamburger, ofcoarse... ;-)

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Cholo's Mexican Restaurant: Mexican Seafood in North Shore

by machomikemd Written Jul 29, 2007

Outside Cholo's

Cholos Mexican Restaurant is located in the North Shore Marketplace in Haleiwa. There is a wide variety of authentic Mexican dishes available in generous portions at great prices, they also have Authentic artwork from Oaxaca, Mexico which adorns the walls, much of which is for sale. Hats and T-Shirts are available too. It tend to be full during lunch but the wait is worth it since the feed selections are superb. It has a very laidback atmosphere, characteristic of oahu in general.

Favorite Dish: Specials include fajitas, chile rellenos and "fresh fish tacos(are chock-full of well-seasoned ahi) but my favorite are the Burritos and Spinach & Cheese Echilada Verde, they also offer Superior Margaritas, PiƱa Coladas, over 25 tequilas, rum drinks, draft, domestic and imported beer, and wine by the glass.

Open Lunch & Dinner Daily:
    10 AM - 9:30 PM
    Bar open until 11:00 PM

• jtb2inky's Profile Photo

Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp-Wagon: Giovanni's Aloha Shrimp-Wagon

by jtb2inky Written Aug 24, 2002

This is one of the most unique places to eat on the island. You would never stop here if you were to drive by because it looks like a beat-up old milk wagon (which it is) that has been abandoned on the side of the road. They serve only three different types of shrimp recipes on Styrofoam plates. Each costs $11 per plate, but they are WELL worth it. Talk about the best shrimp you have every eaten!

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Scampi

• Nevo's Profile Photo

Cholo's: Killer Margaritas! Killer Food! Killer Time!

by Nevo Written Aug 20, 2007

This place is a hot spot in Haleiwa. A lot of locals will always recommend it for a fun night on town. Ethantic dishes at very reasonable prices - portions are huge. I liked the friendliness and responsiveness of the staff the most about this place. Everything we wanted was "on the double" type of attitude from them, these days its hard to find, especially restaurants that have a lot of traffic during the weekends. This place plays fun mexican music, loud, and friendly. Dont come for a laid back night, come armed for a VERY good (loud) time.

House margarita will slap you across the face a couple of times and get you into the mood quickly. Lastly, dont be shy around the pet chickens that the owners keep around to make their rounds and say hi to the guests.

Favorite Dish: chicken fajita plate comes highly recommended

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Haleiwa Joe's: Haleiwa Joe's

by SFHulaGIrl Written Jun 2, 2004
    Outdoor patio

Great, fresh food at reasonable prices, and a nice view of the harbor from the outdoor patio.

Favorite Dish: The grilled scallops on skewers, and the Cajun fried fish sandwich (which just happened to be ahi that day) were both scrumptious!!

• Surfing
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Haleiwa

Comments

Haleiwa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Haleiwa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haleiwa sightseeing.