Haleiwa Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Haleiwa

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Matsumoto Gorcery Store No 1 Shave Ice in Haleiwa

by aussiedoug Written Jun 28, 2004

Yep we've still got a while to wait!

And with the souvenir T-Shirt etc trade to back it up!

Not sure exactly where this tip belongs!
    Is it a must see & do? Is it a restaurant because you're eating something? Is it a local custom tip as everybody seems to be there (are they tourist s or locals or a mix?)?
    Ot is it a tourist trap where unwitting visitors have to wait in lines?

I think it's definitely a Must Try Activity! If you are in Haleiwa, at any time of the year, you must try the Shave Ice.! Now, I'd read about this one in the Frommer's guide (not on VT you cry in shock & horror. lol!) so even though the queue was shorter at the first place of course I took us to this one - Matsumoto Shave Ice. Actually it's called Matsumoto Grocery Store so I guess it began it's life as one of those & the Shave Ice giant only took over in relatively recent times with the advent of the tourist boom over the last 30 odd years.

So after the wait we Kerry, Keely & I had a watermelon one while my little surfer girl Bessie had a rainbow one. So was the wait worth it, was the fuss justified?

Well I'd have to say, " Absolutely!" The delicious & refreshing taste & feel of it was just right for we four hot, tired, dusty travellers.
    Hit the spot and allowed us to leave refreshed & renewed to battle the non existent summer waves of the North Shore. LOL!

And yes, I did buy a T-Shirt too! (Good for wearing to the beach at home in Summer. That's my rationale & I'm sticking to it! lol!)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Dare to Swim with the Sharks out from Haleiwa

by aussiedoug Updated Apr 4, 2011

From Ad'

Wish I could give you all the lowdown about this as, after having booked it in Waikiki at Aquazone I was sooooooooo looking forward to it. And, of course, more than a little apprehensiive. No, more than that downright nervous! What an opportunity as a surfer of over 30 years experience who's NEVER seen a shark in the ocean (Thank Goodness!!!!!!!!!) to get into the ocean within the safety of a steel cage & have these fascinating creatures swim around you. Would have been the perfect Father's Day (U.S. our Australian one is in Sept.)
    They guarantee shark sightings & say you will see Galapagos, Gray Reef, Sandbar & occasionally, Tiger Sharks up close. WOW!

Tour times are 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.; 8 a.m to 10 a.m., 10 a.m. to 12 noon & last one then.

Cost is $120 (US) Shark Cage & $60 Boat only.

Now for the heartbreaking bit!

Anyway 1 twin didn't want to get out of the water at Waikiki so that slowed us down.

Then we took a wrong turn, another 5 minutes lost.

So the short ending is that we got into the Boat Harbour at Haleiwa about 5 minutes late & the boat was already gone. Unfortunately we didn't have a mobile phone/cell phone with us to call to get them to wait.

All the same I would still recommend this as a must see/must do activity will in Oahu even if you are staying down in Waikiki as we were.

• Eco-Tourism

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

See the Sea Turtles!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 2, 2007

Heading back into the water...

Better than seeing them at a zoo or sea park. The turtles are in their natural habitat doing what they like to do all day - graze in the water and sun themselves on the sand. How incredible is that? Laniakea Beach a.k.a. Lani's Beach or “Turtle Beach”

• baileyniko's Profile Photo

Aoki's Shave Ice is Just as Good and Less Crowded

by baileyniko Written Jun 14, 2005

Aoki's Shave Ice

If you're craving a giant shave ice, and you see that the queue at Matsumoto's is out the door and down the street, just walk a few feet and you'll come to Aoki's Shave Ice.

The service was friendly, they have lots of flavors, and they're not a rip-off. I had a tropical blend of coconut, mango, and pineapple with my ice and it was great. Nifty little invention, that plastic "drip catcher" - keeps you from getting all sticky and attracting the bees that are all over the place.

Don't bother with shave ice back in Honolulu, the stuff at the North Shore is the real deal!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Horseback Riding

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 6, 2007

We know how to dress for horseback riding!

I did a lot of research on horseback riding in Oahu. Most of the better ranches are located on the North Shore. We wanted to be able to ride the horses on the beach. Well, that doesn't work in Hawaii. They do not allow horses on the beach. So, of the three ranches I looked at, Happy Trails had the best price for the longest amount of time. $57.59 for a 1 1/2 hour ride. They had a very flexible riding schedule. If you are staying in Waikiki (like we did), the drive to the north shore can take from 1 to 2 hours depending on traffic. The 1:30 pm ride worked out great for us. Happy Trails takes credit cards, not sure what the other ranches requirements were. It was fairly easy to find though the website directions seem obscure.

• Horse Riding

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Matsumoto's Shave Ice

by Hopkid Written Nov 25, 2006

Go on...get in line!

Originally started as a grocery store in the 1950s, the M. Matsumoto Store is now the home to what they call the best shave ice in the world. And who could argue? Shave ice is better than a regular snow cone in that the ice is shaved on order and is soft and fluffy....like fresh snow. It's not rock hard like the snow cones you get from the ice cream truck that comes through the neighborhood during the summers. You can get a variety of flavors and the best is that you can also get some ice cream, azuki beans (sweet red beans), or both in the bottom of the cone. Yum!

Matsumoto's also does a pretty thriving business in the apparel market with some pretty creative designs on t-shirts and sweatshirts. Don't let the line coming out the door deter you from trying a truly Hawaiian treat!

• Karlie85's Profile Photo

Matsumoto's Shave Ice

by Karlie85 Written Feb 16, 2009

Makin' shave ice

Matsumoto's is a big tourist draw on O'ahu. I really liked the idea of it before I went there: a young family opening a grocery store in historic Haleiwa on the North Shore in the early 1950s serving their specialty, shave ice. The store got hugely popular as is now famous for it's shave ice. Of course we had to check it out, and I was a little bit let down. I didn't feel any charm from this old place. Pretty much all they had inside was Matsumoto's merchandise; t-shirts, towels, mugs, everything. It was everywhere, floor to ceiling, wall to wall. And, of course, the shave ice counter. There wasn't much of a trace of any other kind of groceries around. After we ordered our shave ice, we sat on a bench outside eating it. One couple came out empty handed and said "This is supposed to be... a grocery store?". I really appreciate the history of the Matsumoto family and the story, and it's wonderful that they have found so much success. You should still go check it out, but know ahead of time it's not going to have that quaint, family run business feel to it anymore.

I personally didn't like the taste of the shave ice, just because it was too sweet for me, but I'm sure people with a sweet tooth would love it. Very nice on a hot Hawaiian day. Tons of flavors to choose from. You can also add ice cream and/or beans. I added beans and liked it.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Lili'oukalani Church

by Hopkid Written Nov 25, 2006

This Protestant church was attended by its namesake, the last reigning monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii. It was established in 1832 and the clock was a present from Queen Lili'oukalani. An interesting note is that the 12 letters in the queen's name replace the numbers on the face of the clock. Services were held completelyl in Hawaiian until the 1040s. Although the chuch is well over 150 years old, the current building was constructed in 1961. It is open to visitors typically during the morning hours.

• Surf Museum

by hollyday Updated May 15, 2004

Growing up in a surfing town with a surfing mad brother made me a bit of a surfie chick in my youth.

I used to dream of visiting the North Shore one day and so I found myself driving down the main street of Haleiwa all these years later.

The timing was all wrong and the pumping surf of the winter was replaced by little ankle high waves. Nonetheless I was here in this most hallowed town and I found my way to the Surf Museum in the North Shore Market Place.

This is a small ( easy to miss) place in the rear area of the marketplace but is a real treasure trove of memorabilia.

Entrance is free but donations are readilly accepted. There are lots of collectibles for sale if you want to take a piece of surfing history home with you.

• Nevo's Profile Photo

Snorkeling on the North Shore Catamaran

by Nevo Written Aug 20, 2007

North Shore Catamaran are a really good team to take a snorkeling trip with in Oahu. They basically tailored to trip to our preferences. The captain is extremely friendly and will start telling you a lot of his shark encounters to break the ice. What i liked particularly about these guys is the history they incorporated into the trip. While we were on the catamaran they started telling us about the history of the island, the natives, everything you can imagine. It took me back to the days of field trips at school. Educational and edgy is how i would describe it. The food is great, they didnt rush getting back to shore, and they ask you what you feel like doing.

Originally we told them we wanted to see sharks eat so that is where we headed. Half way we diverted from our plan of attack because we noticed dolphins in a nearby bay. Our entire trip ended up being swimming among 100+ dolphins in the water for a few hrs, an experience i will never forget. Although i cant guarantee this will happen to you, i can guarantee you a good time with North Shore Catamaran!!

• Fishing

• beachwalkinphotog's Profile Photo

take off your shoes, take a long walk on the beach

by beachwalkinphotog Updated May 31, 2006

Sunset Beach

Sunset Beach, where you can walk along the beach for a couple of miles in either direction.

It feels so good to walk in ankle-deep sand!

In winter, this is THE place to surf. People come from all over the world for the surf contests.

In summer the waves are generally mellow.

• Surfing

• Jubei's Profile Photo

Beach, Shave Ice, more beach

by Jubei Written Nov 2, 2007

North Shore: check out Waimea Beach, Sunset Beach Park, Pipeline. All these beaches are lined up together. Just follow Kamehameha Hwy. You won't miss them. There usually are a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road.

Haleiwa Historic Town: Now a must tourist stop. Small hometown feel with big tourist appeal. Lots of small souvenir shops, restaurants, and don't forget the shave ice stands(Matsumoto, Aoki)

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

Art Gallery

by Sweetberry1 Updated Aug 12, 2003

Art..

The Art Gallery in Hale'iwa has lots of interesting things to see. I was amazed at the quality of the works they had on display, paintings, drawings, and some fantastic sculptures. Some very famous artists show their work here, including one that has painted on buildings all over the world. Including Sydney, and close to where I live, Bundaberg.
    It is away from the madding crowds, that makes it very unique.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Surf-This is the capital of Surfing!

by machomikemd Written Jul 29, 2007

Damn, Clody Skies!

North shore is the north-facing coastal area of Oʻahu between Kaʻena Point and Kahuku Point. The largest settlement is Haleʻiwa. This area is best known for its massive waves, attracting surfers from all around the globe. Haleiwa is the hub of the North Shore, which overlooks picturesque Waialua Bay with its restaurants, shops and landmark Anahula Bridge. Further down the road, famous surf spots line the coast past Waimea Bay. Across the street, find historic Waimea Valley and the Saints Peter and Paul Mission around the bend.

During the summer, Oahu’s North Shore offers pristine diving and snorkeling conditions and a calm that befits its rural setting. But during the winter, the community is awakened by monster waves that roll in unabated 2,000 miles from Alaska. Top surfers and curious onlookers crowd Sunset, Banzai Pipeline and Waimea Bay.

FAMOUS BEACHES

• Surfing

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Swim, Play, Hang Aound the Beaches

by machomikemd Written Nov 12, 2013

Haleiwa has many beaches and coves along it's location in the North Shore of Oahu and besides the main attraction of the Area, which is surfing, you can also do the traditional beach activities here, but have caution on swimming if you are not a good swimmer as the waves and rip tides in the north shore is powerful, that is why this area is good for surfing!.

FAMOUS BEACHES
    •Sunset Beach– 7.7 miles courtesy Strong Current

• Windsurfing
    • Water Sports

Instant Answers: Haleiwa

Comments

Haleiwa Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Haleiwa things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Haleiwa sightseeing.