Beaches, Honolulu

Know about this? Rate It!

kahuku
    waikiki
    warning sign
  • csordila's Profile Photo

Beaches

by csordila Updated Mar 15, 2012
    Windsurfing on the Beach

Favorite thing: The beach at Waikiki has something iwonderful with the Hard Rock Cafe, it has good
    atmosphere (Diamond Head and the palms), and it do not lack something of substance.
    The sand is fine, but making it harder to clean out of your bathing suit. Inspite of that Waikiki was very mpressive, but unlike other tourists I have enjoyed very much!

Fondest memory: I am going not to miss seeing the whales. In Feb/March they come to the islands. Unfortunately I did not see any of the newborn calves right off the coast

• Surfing

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Assorted Beaches in Oahu

by machomikemd Updated Dec 8, 2009

waikiki

Favorite thing: different beaches of honolulu and oahu area. Well hawaii is famous primarily because of it's beaches and it's distinctive culture way different from the mainland USA. around the oahu area, there are various public beaches like the world famous Waikiki Beach in Honolulu and the nearby kuhio beach and ala moana beaches. north shore has it's share of famopus beaches like the haleiwa public beaches and the kahuku public beaches. all beaches in oahu have golden sand, coarse kind of sand (beaches in the philippines have sugary white sands ok, see my philippines pages). there is no entrance fee to all public beaches and you can also swim at the beaches in exclusive resorts like the turtle bay resort for free since hawaii has a law that mandates that all beaches are free to the public.

Fondest memory: lots of activities in the beaches like tanning, surfing, swimming, para gliding, jet skiing, etc.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Families at the Beaches

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

Favorite thing: I always loved the fact that FAMILIES go EN MASSE to the beaches. Not just mom, dad and keiki... But Grandma, grandpa, Aunty Leilani, Uncle Kekoa and Cousin Kawai as well! Beaches on the Weekends are EXTENDED family Affairs. This means for you, beach goer, GO EARLY if you plan to find a spot. If you are visiting south shore beaches (Sandies through Ewa Beach) -- you have your work cut out for you. Locals Bring HOME to the beach: Woks, Gas Stoves, Habashi's, Tents, Tables, Chairs, Bikes, Trikes, Volleyball nets, Children's playpens,... I mean it looks like they've MOVED to the beach. They start finding sites as early as 6am... and they are there until they pull out their Ukulele's and start singing around 7pm! Maybe around 8 or 9pm, they start moving out and heading home!!!

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Nero of the Sea

by b1bob Written Feb 21, 2003

Nero of the Sea

Fondest memory: Mama, my brother, and my Grandma went with me. My brother and I got in the warm water and I tripped over some seaweed. I pulled it up, throwing it in the air, and it landed over my brother's left ear. He looked like a Nero of the Sea. Everybody but my brother was laughing and he became vexed and miffed (he would have laughed his fool head off if it happened to anyone else).

• Boogyman1964's Profile Photo

The beaches on Oahu are...

by Boogyman1964 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The beaches on Oahu are plentiful. The surf is very high in the winter months on the North Shore, as high as 30+ feet. There is no surf on the south and east shores during winter to speak of. The south and east shores get the higher surf during the summer months. Be aware that the temperature year round is between 70 - 90 degrees farenheit. I have been on the beach on the North Shore on Christmas day with a bathing suit and no shirt watching the surfers. Keep this in mind if you are looking for an escape from freezing cold. If you want cold in Hawaii, travel to the Big Island (Hawai'i) and drive up to the top of Mauna Kea. There is usually snow there.

Fondest memory: Sitting on the beach on Christmas day with my kids playing in the sand and calling my family in South Carolina. They were freezing and we were sweating.

• dieseldogmom's Profile Photo

I would take them to Makaha's...

by dieseldogmom Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: I would take them to Makaha's beautiful beaches ... very few people at some of them.

Fondest memory: We did go into Honolulu to watch the Pro Bowl and it was so much fun ... I couldn't believe it! Everyone should go if they ever get the chance.

• Visit the beaches on the other...

by natashaward Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the beaches on the other side of the island besides Waikiki. There were a lot of activities going on. I had a delicious teriyaki burger from one of the vendors on the beach.

Fondest memory: I miss the beautiful scenery and the weather.

• Go to the North Shore. Waimae...

by TTimmy_ Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to the North Shore. Waimae Bay is the best place on the island for sure. The Pipeline is an awesome place to watch surfers too. Also, spend the 4 bucks and go to Hanaouma Bay. It's a fish reserve and the snorkelling there is the best I have ever seen in my life!!!

Fondest memory: I am going to miss seeing the whales. In Feb/March they come to the islands for birthing. We saw mothers and newborn calves all the time, right off the coast with the naked eye, but if you have it, bring a zoom lens and a good pair of binoculars!!!

Instant Answers: Honolulu