Shorebird, Honolulu

by Marisola
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Shorebird Beach Broiler - Waikiki

by Ewingjr98 Written Oct 6, 2012

The Shorebird in Waikiki is a huge restaurant right on the beach, perfect for dinner and drinks in a true Hawaiian atmosphere. We arrived one weekday evening, and the restaurant and bar were packed. We ordered a round of local draft beers (around $7 each), then we got our table right along the water.

The menu is pretty extensive and expensive. We ordered steaks ($25-$30 each), then made our way to the salad bar, which is kind of 1980s, and certainly not something you'd expect from a restaurant where your meal will cost $50. Furthermore, the salad bar was pretty limited with just the basics, not much meat other than cheap bacon bit, no shredded cheese, etc.

Our steaks were brought to the table raw, and we had to trek back across the huge restaurant to grill the meat. This is one of the draws to the place, but if I have to make my own salad and cook my own meat it better be dirt cheap. I can do that at home any night of the week.

The steaks were pretty good, but the grill has some really hot spots and some really cool spots, so you have be careful with your cooking times. The waiter gave us suggested cooking times, but the grill was just too difficult to judge, so my steak was way undercooked, and I didn't want to have to wander back across the restaurant to get it to a better temperature.

Great atmosphere, but too expensive considering the customers have to do all the work. Also, there are no sides served with the steak, unless you want more salad from the salad bar. Not a good concept for a restaurant.

• Shorebird: good breakfast buffet

by rontaylor1948 Written Aug 29, 2010

If you like to cook your own dinner this is the place for you. I don't! So I haven't eaten there other than at breakfast. Their breakfast buffet is good, particularly for the price. Lots of fresh fruit. Get there early for breakfast as the eggs and other hot foods can get a little worse for the wear. The view is good as you are right on the beach.

Favorite Dish: breakfast buffet

• Surfing

• MargotB's Profile Photo

Breakfast smorg and barbecue grill: The Shorebird Inn at the...

by MargotB Updated Jul 19, 2005

Shorebird Grill

The Shorebird Inn is an open restaurant with a view of Diamond Head, located at the Outrigger Reef Hotel, 2169 Kalia Road, on the beach at Waikiki.

Favorite Dish: The buffet breakfast has everything and is my favourite. Lovely place for lunch, and the broil-your-own choices dinner is a special treat.. The bar offers live entertainment at night.

• ThoraSB's Profile Photo

Shorebird: Great grill!

by ThoraSB Written Jan 9, 2004

The food at the Shorebird is excellent, and I think it tastes better because you grill your food yourself! It's right on Waikiki Beach, and has a great view of the sunset. There's an all you can eat salad bar, which has a good assortment of salads, pastas and other foods. There is a meal in itself, if you don't want to spend too much money. They have musicians playing each night, and they're not too loud - just the perfect background to your meal.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Teriaki Chicken, and the fact that I got to cook it myself!

• Shorebird: Enjoy barbecuing?

by B.T. Written Oct 15, 2003

The Shorebird is one of the restaurants that we ALWAYS dine at, at least ONE time during our stay. As you enter the open-air restaurant and are seated, the sights and sounds of Waikiki are all around you.

One of the wait staff is soon at your table to take your drink and food order and this is where the Shorebird changes from a typical restaurant.

Your waitperson will bring you whatever cut of meat/fish you chose. ...RAW. You then take your meats over to a gigantic set of rectangular grills equipped with all of the cooking utensils and spices that you could possibly want or need. You are now barbecuing on Waikiki Beach just like on your patio back home.

For those that like to barbecue, this is a very fun place. Bad side. One side of the grill area is comfortable and the other is unbelievably hot as the trade winds push the heat in one direction. Wanna know which side to cook from? HINT: You want to be facing Diamond Head. If you have your back to the crater, prepare to cook a little yourself along with your food.

Favorite Dish: We always get the Filet Mignon. It is a very generous portion of Tenderloin steak and is actually one of the least expensive filets we've had anywhere. Have the Waitperson butterfly it for you before you take it to the grill (They may or may not offer). it's easier to cook that way.

• Luxury Travel
    • Beaches

• Randall_Burt's Profile Photo

My favorite Restaurant is the...

by Randall_Burt Written Sep 7, 2002

My favorite Restaurant is the ShoreBird Restaurant at the Outrigger Reef Hotel. They had a great all you can eat Breakfast. Photo is view from Shorebird Restaurant.
    The price was very reasonable and it is on the Beach.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast Buffet

• Hands down, my favorite...

by dferreira2 Written Aug 24, 2002

Hands down, my favorite restaurant is the Shore Bird in the Outrigger Reef hotel in Waikiki. It's always my first evening's dinner location whenever I visit. You order your meal and then grill your food on a large grill where you can watch the beach as you cook your food. The food bar that goes along with it ensures that you don't leave there hungry. The combination of good food, Waikiki beach view, reasonable prices, and always great service makes this the perfect way to get that island feeling quick. You leave there with the feeling that you really ARE back in Hawaii.
    The grill-your-own is a lot of fun. The grill is large and efficient. And the entire area is open to the beach so that you get the breeze and the wonderful smells of the ocean as you grill!

Favorite Dish: Get the Mahi Mahi. It's a wonderful, light, fresh fish that grills up beautifully. There is nothing like fresh seafood while there on the islands, and this is some of the best.

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Shorebird Restaurant: Barbecue on the Beach!!!

by Marisola Updated Oct 22, 2010
    Before barbecuing!!!

The Shorebird is located right on Waikiki Beach for a great ambience. Start your day with their breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, or stop in for dinner and barbecue grill your own meal.

• Beaches