Theft, Honolulu

by mkim
  • JeanniesWorld's Profile Photo

they will jack ANYTHING!

by JeanniesWorld Written Jul 14, 2006

When I lived in Honolulu, I constantly had a problem with petty theft but almost no problem with violence. Be careful if you ride a bicycle - even if you lock it up, the professional thieves that strike at all hours will steal a wheel, the seat, or just cut the lock. Always lock the frame and wheel together - if you just lock the wheel, a thief will leave the wheel, unscrew it, and take the rest! Don't leave anything, no matter how small, out of your sight. There is a major crystal meth problem in Hawaii which contributes to these problems.

• Study Abroad
    • Beaches

• nitiehawk's Profile Photo

Be alert!!!

by nitiehawk Written Oct 18, 2003

Ice is a huge problem on oahu. be very wary of you valuables!! certain people will steal you blind.
    just be on guard when driving around or clubbing, dont take any more money then you need or get travelers checks.

• Diamond Head Dangers

by JacquelineDevine Written Feb 1, 2010

Please be warned about parking around Diamond Head. We were witnessed to seeing young teen agers on mopeds use sling shots to break into the side window, observe if there were any car alarms and then when no one was watching ride by their moped and grab everything from the car. It was amazing that police cars drove by and did nothing even as these kids were taking bags, grocery bags, purses right from the vehicle.
    I called 911 and by the time I was able to get a police officer, the group had left and was no where to be seen. I waited for the persons returning to their car and told them what had happened. The lady was very upset as I found out that her return tickets were also in her purse and she thought that this was a safe place to park.

• Seniors
    • Whale Watching
    • Hiking and Walking

• Don't leave anything in a rental car!

by kahiwa Updated Jul 1, 2008

This is in reply to anyone thinking of storing luggage or other items in the trunk of their car.

NEVER EVER leave anything of value in the trunk of your car, on the seat of your car, in the console, under the seats, etc. Thieves watch for trusting tourists in rented cars and will wait until you are out of sight, looking at the great view, and in less that two minutes they will have broken into your car and taken off with all your valuables.

I stopped at a scenic lookout to take a photo on a particularly clear day, and saw a group of tourists park their car, open the trunk, and put their wallet and purses into the trunk. I stopped them and told them to take those things with them because of the high risk of theft(and the fact that they did this in plain view of anyone staking out the parking lot).

It may be a minor inconvenience to take your stuff with you when you're only stopping to take a photo or eat lunch, but compare that to having to deal with a lost driver's license (how are you going to board the plane?), stolen credit cards to cancel, lost money and traveler's checks, lost cameras with all your vacation photos, etc.

If you have a hotel and are early for afternoon check in, or are sight-seeing before a late flight, the hotel will store your baggage for you. The airport does not have storage lockers available since 9/11/01, so don't look there for storage.

• Cruise

• mkim's Profile Photo

Car Property Theft in MaLL Parking Lots

by mkim Written Apr 15, 2006

car thieves abound

yes, they know which number plates R Rent-a-Cars .
    they'll just empty out your trunk in the rear .
    it happens a LOT in Hawaii, especially Waikiki .

so when U park your RentaL car in a MaLL
    do it near well-lit entrances

• Always watch your belongings. ...

by Vivisector Written Sep 8, 2002

Always watch your belongings. Many people leave there cameras, purses, valuables along beach and go swimming/snorkling/surfing only to come back and find there stuff stolen. You must remember even though you are in paradise, you are still in a major city, 13th largest city in the US.

• North Shore Oahu Theft

by jeskamai Written Aug 9, 2010

I returned from Hawaii yesterday. The day before we were due to fly home we stopped at Shark Cove on the north shore. We were in a rental car and parked in FoodWay directly across from the beach. We locked the car and took our camera bag and swimming gear across the road and walked 40m across rocks and left our camera bag (with car keys inside) at the waters edge while we swam. We were watched from the moment we stepped out of our car to getting into the water. Thief's followed us, stole our camera bag and returned with the keys and then stole the car. This was within about 20 minutes. We were within 20 m of the bag the whole time so they were very careful not to be seen. Local police informed us that they are very organised and alot of the times there is more than one person and they will use walky-talkies to communicate with each other. We had heard nothing about this kind of thing happening before we went. You really cannot trust to leave valuables in your car or on a beach where you cannot watch it every second. We were also required to pay for the cars rental until it was found, damaged or not. It was a bad ending to a perfect holiday.

• Beaches

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo

Honolulu is a Safe City

by Sweetberry1 Updated Jul 24, 2003

$$$

I never felt unsafe or intimidated in Honolulu, But I will repeat something that we all say time and time again... 'Keep a close eye on your purse/money' and other valuables.....

Perhaps I should take my own advice.. ;-)

------ Also... Take care in the water, there are areas that are not safe, even if you are a good swimmer! Respect the Ocean!!!

• Car break-in's are very common...

by Hawaii-5-0 Written Aug 25, 2002

Car break-in's are very common at tourist spots
    (isolated beaches, scenic spots, shopping areas).
    Don’t leave valuables in the trunk. Very easy to
    break a window and pop the trunk open by pulling
    the trunk lever under the drivers seat

• With the high concentration of...

by dferreira2 Written Aug 24, 2002

With the high concentration of tourists, petty theft is common. Don't leave valuables anywhere unprotected. Especially vulnerable are things left on the car seat while you stop 'for just a minute' to look at something. If you leave sight of your car, chances are that whatever was left on the seat will be gone by the time you get back. And not only will you be out the purse, camera, or whatever, but you will also have to deal with the rental company on getting the car fixed (if you didn't take out insurance). Lock valuables in the trunk (BEFORE you get someplace) or take them with you. It will save you a lot of headaches.

Instant Answers: Honolulu

• AdamantineWolverine's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I wish I read these articles before I went to Hawaii. Our rental car got burglarized near Lanikai Beach. We were away from the car for all of 20 minutes or so and when we came back the driver side window was broken and the criminal(s) stole a couple bags from the car. One of the bags had my wife's wallet in it.

These criminals are making Hawaii a place where vacations are ruined. I hope that the Honolulu police are able to stop these criminals and stop the drug traffic. I also hope the state of Hawaii will work to help their people get off the drugs and rehabilitate them.

If this type of victimization of tourists keeps up, I think Hawaii will stop being a popular place for honey-mooners and tourists to go to.