Hawaiian Treats/Candy, Oahu

Know about this?

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Blue Hawaiian

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 28, 2015

The Blue Hawaiian is my favorite drink to have while in O'ahu. I enjoy the frozen Blue Hawaiian and usually find my favorite at the Pikake Terrace at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.

The Blue Hawaiian was actually invented here on the island of O'ahu at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in 1957 by Harry Yee a legendary head bartender at the hotel. He was asked by a Dutch distiller to design a drink that would feature their blue color of Curaçao liquer. He experimented with several variations until be decided on the popular drink. The drink is made with rum, blue Curacao, pineapple juice and creme of coconut.

There are slight variations of this popular drink but the blue signature color still remains. Try a Blue Hawaiian when you're in O'ahu as I'm sure you'll quite enjoy it.

Frozen Blue Hawaiian
    • Wine Tasting

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 28, 2015

Shave ice is a local staple in Hawaii and a must try especially on a hot day. We've enjoyed a nice cool refreshing shave ice during all of our visits here to O'ahu.

Shave ice is chips of ice that are flavored with a variety of syrups in a paper cone. You can find shave ice in many places throughout O'ahu.

Yummy shave ice

Try some Malassadas

by cjg1 Updated Dec 2, 2014

A Malassada is a Portuguese donut; basically fried dough without the hole. They come in different varieties such as sugar, cinnamon sugar and with fillings such as custard and jelly.I first heard of the Malassada from one of my wife's friends who was born and raised on Oahu. Funny how I had been here before and never heard of them...

Every tiem we visit Oahu we have to have these delicious treats at Leonard's Bakery. Delicious doesn't begin to describe them...they are sort of a cross between a coffee roll and a zepole. I have to say I liked the cinnamon sugar the best. The fillings seemed to detract from the tastiness of the dough. This is a must try for anyone visiting the area.

We recently returned in 2014 and enjoyed some of our favorite flavors; cinnamon sugar and cream filled. We arrived nice and early right afterthe bakery opening; so no long lines. I love how they are always so warm and absolutely delicious. They are a tasty treat and I always look forward to eating some more.

delicious and warm...yum!

Lilikoi Syrup

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

My wife and I love our syrup on Pancakes, French Toast and waffles; usually maple syrup. Our last trip to Hawaii we branched out and tried some tasty Coconut and Guava syrup; which surprisingly we both like immensely.

Coconut Syrup

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

We found some of these syrups in a local store and bought a few bottles to take home.

POG Juice

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

POG juice is something my wife loves to enjoy when we are in Hawaii and often recreates back at home to drink. POG is a tropical style juice drink created in 1971 by a food product consultant named Mary Soon who worked for Haleakala Dairy on Maui.

Typically we have seen POG juice made with passionfruit, orange, and guava but have also experienced it made with pineapple, orange and guava. My wife has had both varieties and loves them. I'm not a fan of guava so she can enjoy the juice without me stealing a sip.

BTW-it's also very good if you add some dark rum into the mix for a nice afternoon drink.

My wife enjoying her Breakfast POG POG in a to go cup

Hawaiian Sea Salt

by cjg1 Updated Aug 7, 2013

My wife loves to cook and bake with different types of salts. Hawaiian Sea Salt is a favorite of hers. Back home we usually order it online but here in Hawaii it is sold at many stores including ABC. The salt is an unrefined sea salt that has been mixed with a red alae volcanic clay. The sea salt was originally used by Hawaiians to cleanse, purify and bless tools, canoes, homes and temples. It is also used in several traditional Hawaiian dishes such as Kalua Pig, Hawaiian Jerky and Poke.

by cjg1 Written Mar 8, 2013

Shave ice an ice-based dessert made by shaving a block of ice. Shave Ice is mostly credited as being "Hawaiian" but is actually Japanese in origin. It does look like a snow cone but the ice is shaved into a soft texture that resembles snow while a snow cone is crushed ice. This snowy texture is perfect for absorbing the flavored syrup, instead of it pooling at the botton of the cup.

Personally I think this is a must have for anyone visiting Hawaii, It really is a treat and comes in so many different flavors.

Mango, Guava and Orange Shave Ice

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 2, 2007

I always wondered about the shave ice, it didn’t make any sense to me. I mean, how tasty an ice with syrup can be? Well, actually it’s pretty good and definitely perfect for the Hawaiian never-ending summer. I enjoyed it, definitely not a “WOW” kind of thing, but a nice experience.
    Exactly like an ice cream, shave ice has many different flavors and you can always mix as many of them as you want.
    I had my shave ice at the town of Haleiwa, but not at the famous place where people are always lined up in everlasting queues. I heard there’s the best shave ice store somewhere.

Instant Answers: Oahu