Local traditions and culture in Oahu

• Hawaiian Treats/Candy
  • Hawaiian Treats/Candy
  • Local Customs

Most Viewed Local Customs in Oahu

Welcome Leis

by cjg1 Updated Jan 9, 2015

Lei is Hawaiian meaning garland or wreath. Leis can be made of shells, beads, leaves or flowers. Most peoplle associate the giving of Leis as a welcoming token of affection. This welcoming lei was popularized by the tourism boom to Hawaii in the 19th and 20th century.It is a nice gesture that many of the hotels present guests with a welcome lei upon arrival.

There are also services that arrange for Lei greetings at the airport; this is a nice gift if someone is visiting for the first time or for a special occasion.

Try some Malassadas

by cjg1 Updated Dec 2, 2014

A Malassada is a Portuguese donut; basically fried dough without the hole. They come in different varieties such as sugar, cinnamon sugar and with fillings such as custard and jelly.I first heard of the Malassada from one of my wife's friends who was born and raised on Oahu. Funny how I had been here before and never heard of them...

Every tiem we visit Oahu we have to have these delicious treats at Leonard's Bakery. Delicious doesn't begin to describe them...they are sort of a cross between a coffee roll and a zepole. I have to say I liked the cinnamon sugar the best. The fillings seemed to detract from the tastiness of the dough. This is a must try for anyone visiting the area.

We recently returned in 2014 and enjoyed some of our favorite flavors; cinnamon sugar and cream filled. We arrived nice and early right afterthe bakery opening; so no long lines. I love how they are always so warm and absolutely delicious. They are a tasty treat and I always look forward to eating some more.

Poi

by cjg1 Written Oct 1, 2014

Poi is a local food that is made from taro root that has been cooked, pounded into a paste and fermented. The consitency is thick almost paste like with not much of a specific flavor. You are supposed to eat it with your fingers;two fingers is local style. I think it's okay but tastes better when you dip something like pork into it.

Loco Moco

by cjg1 Written Oct 1, 2014

Loco Moco is a local dish that is very tasty and is comprised of a fried egg on top of a hamburger on top of a pile of rice, all smothered in brown gravy. Yum, I love haburger and egg on top and the addition of gravy and rice is even better!

Macadamia Nut Candy

by cjg1 Updated Sep 24, 2014

Macadamia nuts are very popular in Hawaii and are used in a a variety of foods as main ingredients and well as garnishes. Macadamia Nut candy and nuts are a popular souvenir item on the islands; sold whole or in chocolate coverings.. rsonally I prefer the nuts crushed and used as a crust on local fish; which is very good. My wife on the other hand can't eat nuts so she can only buys some for family back home. You can find Macadamia Nut Candy in every ABC Store and many other shops as well. We have found the best prices to be at ABC and they are packaged nicely for travel back home.

Did you know? The wild pigs are the only animal on the island with a strong enough jaw to break into the extremely hard shelll of the nut. I never knew that fact until we tourned a Macadamia Nut Plantation

Try a Lava Flow

by cjg1 Updated Sep 24, 2014

When in Hawaii, definitely try a Lava Flow. The Lava Flow is a delicious drink made from Rum, pureed strawberries, coconut cream and coconut milk. It basically tastes like a Strawberry Pina Coladad but better. My wife loves these Lava Flows and has to have them whenever we are in Hawaii. Her favorite place for a Lava Flow is the Plantation Bar at the Hula Grill or at Duke's; according to my wife they make the best ones since they use fresh coconut milk.

Enjoying a tasty Lava Flow

Lilikoi Syrup

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

My wife and I love our syrup on Pancakes, French Toast and waffles; usually maple syrup. Our last trip to Hawaii we branched out and tried some tasty Coconut and Guava syrup; which surprisingly we both like immensely.

Coconut Syrup

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

We found some of these syrups in a local store and bought a few bottles to take home.

POG Juice

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

POG juice is something my wife loves to enjoy when we are in Hawaii and often recreates back at home to drink. POG is a tropical style juice drink created in 1971 by a food product consultant named Mary Soon who worked for Haleakala Dairy on Maui.

Typically we have seen POG juice made with passionfruit, orange, and guava but have also experienced it made with pineapple, orange and guava. My wife has had both varieties and loves them. I'm not a fan of guava so she can enjoy the juice without me stealing a sip.

BTW-it's also very good if you add some dark rum into the mix for a nice afternoon drink.

My wife enjoying her Breakfast POG POG in a to go cup

Plate Lunch

by Gypsystravels Written Aug 15, 2013

The plate lunch is a popular meal which is usually quite cheap. It typically comprises of two scoops of rice, macaroni and a choice of meat which varies from pork, teriyaki beef and different variations of chicken. There are a variety of dishes which are now called "plate lunches", so it varies on where you eat.

Some places to enjoy an inexpensive plate lunch is Me BBQ or Fattys.

Shave Ice

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 15, 2013

Shave ice is a local staple in Hawaii and a must try, especially on a hot day. Ferni and I enjoyed a nice cool refreshing shave ice during one of our visits.

Shave ice is chips of ice that are flavored with a variety of syrups in a paper cone. You can find shave ice in many places throughout O'ahu.

Ferni enjoying his shave ice

Free Visitor Guides & Coupons

by Gypsystravels Written Aug 14, 2013

The free visitor guide and coupons are an excellent way to familiarize yourself with the area as well as plan a particular event. Many of the guides have discounted coupons which can be very valuable on things like meals and activities.

It's easy to find these guides. When you're arriving at the airport you'll see racks and racks of these guides and maps. If you have a few minutes, take a quick look through them to see if there is anything of interest. Grab a few, you never know if you'll find a valuable coupon which can save you $$ on an activity or meal. If you don't have time, don't worry, many hotels and restaurants carry a smaller selection.

Hawaiian Sea Salt

by cjg1 Updated Aug 7, 2013

My wife loves to cook and bake with different types of salts. Hawaiian Sea Salt is a favorite of hers. Back home we usually order it online but here in Hawaii it is sold at many stores including ABC. The salt is an unrefined sea salt that has been mixed with a red alae volcanic clay. The sea salt was originally used by Hawaiians to cleanse, purify and bless tools, canoes, homes and temples. It is also used in several traditional Hawaiian dishes such as Kalua Pig, Hawaiian Jerky and Poke.

Hawaii Regional Cuisine

by cjg1 Updated Jul 30, 2013

Hawaii Regional Cuisine is a culinary movement that blends the flavors of the Hawaiian islands with the cuisines of the world. In 1991, twelve chefs came together and created this food movement.

The core of this movement is to take advantage of the fershest localally grown and produced ingedients on the islands: local cattles, fruits and vegetables grown in the volcanic soil and the fish caught off the Hawaiian shores.

Alan Wong, Roy Yamaguchi, George Mavrothalassitis and Sam Choy are just some of the local chefs whose restaurants cater to the tastes of the Hawaiian regional Cuisine. My wife and I dined at Alan Wong's in Honolulu and let me tell you it was an amazing cuilinary experience from begining to end.

One of our dishes @ Alan Wong's

Free Local Guides and Maps

by cjg1 Written Jul 29, 2013

I love that there are free local guides and maps available on the street, in hotels at the airport and cruise ports. These are little gems of information of the area and the local happenings. There are also some great coupons and savings in many of the guides. Definitely pick them up where available; you never know what you might find useful.

Oahu Hotels

12 Reviews - 48 Photos
Kaimuki Hotels
Kalihi Hotels

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Oahu local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu