Nightclubs and bars in Oahu

Liz & her Lava Flow (January 2014)
    Relaxing at the bar
    Mai Tai & Lava Flow

Most Viewed Nightlife in Oahu

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: In Need of a Big Margarita

by cjg1 Updated Jan 31, 2014

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is located in the Holiday Inn (former Beachcomber Hotel). As you ascend the escalator the bar is located to the left in the Surf Museum and the Restaurant is to the right. The bar is a nice size with plenty of seats. The bar opens up to the pool deck area so you can take your cocktail outside if you wish. The bar is decorated with surf memorabilia such as old surfboards and pictures of "Duke".

The bar was pretty crowded when we arrived but we managed to find two seats at the bar. My wife was not feeling an alcoholic drink so she went for the unsweetened iced tea. I on the other hand was in the mood for their Big Rita. Our bartender was very quick at getting our drinks and the first sip of my Margarita was wonderful. There is nothing better than a Margarita made right....

Liz and I spent some time here enjoying our drinks and relaxing before heading out for lunch.

Dress Code: Casual

Barefoot Bar Duke's: Excellent Mai Tais and Lava Flows

by cjg1 Updated Jan 31, 2014

Duke's is a popular bar/restaurant in Waikiki located in the Outrigger Hotel (downstairs from the Hula Grill). This place is massive with a large bar area; the Barefoot bar that has a large self seating table area as well as two wooden bars. The dining area is on the other side for "sit down" meals but you can still order foot from the bar.

We spent quite alot of time at this bar during our January 2014 trip. previous trips this place was just too crowded to find a seat so we gave up trying. We were here four times; 3 for the bar and once to eat. The bar menu has all sorts of drink offerings, wine, beer, mixed drinks and Tropical Specialties such as Mai Tais and Lava Flows. They also have a food menu with burgers, calamari, pizza and the usual bar food.

Twice we sat at the bar enjoying talking to patrons while enjoying some tasty drinks; Mai Tais and Lava Flows. Our thris time we scored a nice seat overlooking the beach which was very nice while enjoying our drinks with our friends Bob and Barbara who flew in from Maui to see us.

I like this place when it is not madhouse packed and you can actually find a seat. Service here is very good and they make incredible drinks but definitely not cheap in price. I like that their Mai Tais are served in Glass Tiki Heads like they are at the Hula Grill upstairs. My wife loves the Lava Flows here and they have recently changed their formula so it tastes even better than before. The food we can't speak alot about as we only have had their pizza but that was quite good.

I will definitely return here for some more fun in the future.

Tiki's bar & Grill: Good Drinks, Food and Views

by cjg1 Updated Jan 28, 2014

After a long evening flight from the mainland; my wife and I wanted a nice tropical drink and snack before some much needed sleep. We chose to head over to Tiki's. We love it here and have always been happy with their drinks,service and food.

We arrived a bit after 9:30pm on a Saturday and the place was packed. We decided to grab a table on the terrace by the bar; which is open seating. It did take some time to get the attention of wait staff but they were crazy busy. Once we had our waitress we placed our drink order; Mai Tai for me and a Lava Flow for my wife. As for food we went with our favorite appetizer here the Calamari Katsu.

As we waited for our drinks we sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the entertainment that was provided. A nice guy on stage was playing some Hawaiian music; not loud but perfect volume so you could still have a conversation. Our drinks arrived and were much needed; we had a horrible turbulent last leg of our flight with thunder, lightning and rain escorting us into the Hawaiian islands. I enjoyed my Mai Tai but my wife's Lava Flow was not up to her standards (she usually has a Polynesian Prince when here but decided for a change).

Our appetizer was good; not great as it usually is when we dine here for lunch. I'm going to chalk that up to the late hour and busy dining room. We still enjoyed our food and were happy to have satisfied our hunger before heading off to bed.

Rum Fire: Drinks with a View

by cjg1 Updated Dec 10, 2013

Our visit to Waikiki in 2013 brought us here to Rum Fire for some afternoon drinks. Rum Fire is located in the Sheraton Waikiki past the shopping concourse in the hotel lobby . My wife and I wanted a nice place to unwind with some cocktails and enjoy the beautiful weather.

This bar/restaurant has indoor seating and outdoor seating; both with amazing views of the beach and Diamond Head. Since the weather outside was beautiful we chose to sit at an outdoor table(that was shaded) with a nice view of the water. We took a look at the menus and decided to just have drinks although the food we saw at other tables was very tempting(we had already eaten). The drink menu is filled with avariety of cocktails, wine and beer with the usual Hawaiian drinks such as a Mai Tai.

I decided to have my favorite Hawaiian drink, a Mai Tai. They had several varieties of Mai Tais but I chose their Signature Mai Tai which is the classic variety. My wife chose a Banzai Caipirinha. She loves a good Caipirinha so she decided to see what their twist was on the classic. Their drink was made with Sagatiba cachaça, lychee juice, strawberry puree, fresh limes, topped with soda.

Our drinks arrived quickly and we began to relax with our drinks. My Mai Tai was very good and Liz loved her Caipirinha. It was so relaxing here with the ocean in view and a nice breeze blowing. I can honestly say this is now one of my favorite bars in Waikiki.

Dress Code: Casual but no swimsuits or wet clothing.

Plantation Bar & Cafe: Good Times and Mai Tais

by cjg1 Updated Dec 10, 2013

The Plantation Bar is part of the Hula Grill located in the Outrigger, Waikiki. The Bar is designed to look like a Shack with bar stools lining the edge. There are several tables in this area to enjoy some cocktails and bar food. They have a nice selection of cocktails and a menu consisting of some tasty looking food items.

Liz and I found ourselves here twice during our first tript to Oahu together in 2010 and now we come here every trip. Our first visit to the bar was to have some drinks before dinner. We had a seat at the bar and looked at the drink options. I decided on a Mai Tai of course and Liz had a Strawberry Daiquiri. My Mai Tai was served in a Kooky Glass Tiki Head....I loved the glass (it is available for purchase for $12). I have to say it is one of the best Mai Tais I have had on Oahu. Liz loved her daiquiri and said it was just as good as the ones we had on our honeymoon. Our second visit here we decide to split a cheeseburger. The burger was very good and served on a warm chiabatta roll with fries. I had another Mai Tai and Liz had a diet coke with lime. The service here is quite good even with a packed crowd the bartenders are very attentive.

I was very happy at the service, quality and atmosphere here. This was the perfect place to relax with drinks, grab a small meal and enjoy each other's company. Happy Hour is every day from 4-6pm with specially priced drinks and appetizers.

We recently returned in February 2013; and found the bar still had the delicious drinks we loved with the same fun vibe.

Dress Code: Casual. Most people were in shorts, tee shirts or sun dresses.

Pikake Terrace: Relaxing Place with Excellent Drinks

by cjg1 Updated Jul 30, 2013

Swing by and grab a drink from Angie. I have stopped here for drinks on every visit to Oahu, most recently in 2010 & 2013 with my wife. I especially like their Mai-Tais here and was eager to see if they were still as good.

After a day of the beach, shopping and exploring we stopped in for an afternoon drink, The brunch crowd had just cleared and we found a nice table by the bar. Our waitress was Angie who has served me before on previous trips and was still as nice. I knew I wanted a Mai Tai but Liz was caught between ordering a favorite and trying something new. I convinced her to try a Frozen Blue Hawaiian, after all I jested we are in Hawaii. We perused the food menu but decided not to have anything since we weren't hungry just yet.

Our drinks arrived with a friendly smile from Angie. As always I love the Mai Tais here. My wife on the other hand was not thrilled with her Blue Hawaiian. She's not a fan of coconut tasting drinks and compared this one to coconut scented tanning lotion. Angie being a wonderful waitress noticed that the glass was hardly being touched and asked if Liz didn't like it. She didn't want to complain but Angie knew it wasn't personal and asked what she could bring out in its place. A Strawberry Daiquiri took the place of the Frosty Blue glass and my wife was happy to have her favorite frozen drink.

We spent some time here relaxing with our drinks and enjoying the delightful breeze. We enjoyed our drinks and were happy that they were reasonably priced at $8.25 compared to other bars in the area.

You can charge the drinks to your room if you are staying in any of the four Sheraton's in the area. But please note you will only earn points on this room charged purchase if you're staying at the hotel where the purchase takes place. This is a flaw with the current program, but at least they do allow you to charge back to the room.

Dress Code: Casual

The Beach Bar (Moana Surfrider): Drinks by the Beach

by cjg1 Updated Jul 30, 2013

The Beach Bar is located at the Moana Surfrider. There are several seats located around the bar area as well as tables scattered under the huge Banyan Tree. The bar is a really hopping place; probably because it's close to the beach and the pool. We enjoy sitting at the bar when having drinks; service is usually better and you have a chance to interact with other patrons.

Since we were staying at the Moana we had a chance to enjoy several cocktails at the Beach Bar. We were always fortunate to find seats at the bar; most people were enjoying their drinks poolside or at one of the many tables. The bar menu has an extensive list of beer, wines, frozen drinks, mixed drinks and some light food options.

When in Hawaii I love to have Mai Tais; one of my favorite drinks and they make a pretty good one here. My wife is a big fan of Strawberry Dacquiris and enjoyed several here. The service here is very good and attentive. The drinks are well made and served decorated with fresh pineapple slices and the usual umbrella.

We enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine while enjoying our delicious drinks. The only draw back was the amount of birds in the area; my wife has a big bird phobia. I did alleve her worry by telling her that she wouldn't have to worry about any mosquitos or critters since the birds are guaranteed to eat anything that crosses their path. The Beach Bar was a nice way to relax and talk about our trip. It was also a great people watching spot; we enjoyed that immensely.

Even if I wasn't staying at the Moana I would make it a point to come back here for a drink; it's that nice.

Dress Code: Very casual; some guests were in swimsuits and others were in shorts and sundresses.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Da Big Kahuna: Da "Big" Fishbowl!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I were looking to have a light meal with some great drinks and we happen to pass this place during one of our evening walks and we decided to go inside.

It was a Monday night and the place wasn't crowded at all. It was karaoke night which made it a nice relaxed evening. This place has plenty of tables in different sizes scattered around and two pool tables towards that back as well which is always a plus for Ferni.

As you enter, the bar is to your right, slightly sunken with views of Kuhio, to the right of the bar was the area that was set up for the karaoke. We found a table close to the pool tables and within view of the karaoke area and we ordered our drinks. this place is known for a drink that is poured in a round fish bowl with golden plastic koi, so I had to to order it (besides, it was filled with my favorite Hawaiin drink, the Blue Hawaiian). The drink is huge and most people will share it, but Ferni doesn't like fruity drinks and I had to have this on my own. I drank about half before I couldn't anymore, it was too much of a drink for just one person. The price tag for this wonderful drink was $20 (wow)!! I also ordered some chicken tenders to share with Ferni.

The atmosphere was quite nice and seemed like more of the locals frequented (well, on Monday night anway). There was a couple who did most of the karaoke singing and they were quite good. As the evening worn on more and more people arrived to have a good night of drinking and karaoke singing.

Ferni and I had a wonderful time here and would definitely return...my fish bowl was excellent and Ferni was able to play a few rounds of pool which he always enjoys.

Dress Code: Very casual, dress as you like.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Yard House: Over 120 beer, but no Leffe Blonde?

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

I was dissapointed with this place not because of anything other than "how can a place that has over 120 beers not have my Leffe Blonde"? That is so ubsurd!

Okay, enough of my rant about not having the Leffe Blonde. This place is an excellent place to grab some drinks, eat or do both. The bar is huge, with all the beers they have on tap (over 120) around the center of the bar. We arrived and the places was jam packed with people, the music was a bit loud, but not too overwhelming. The bar area is open seating with plenty of bar tables and chairs. We did the round and found a nice table. Our waiter was really nice. He brought us our menu as soon as we were seated and asked us if we needed any suggestions, to please ask.

I eagerly looked over the menu to see if I could find my Leffe, and much to my dismay, no Leffe on the menu. They did have the Leffe Brun, which dissappointed me even more. Anyway, I asked the waiter for the closest thing to the Leffe Blonde and he brought that right out for me (I can't quite remember what that was though). As for Ferni, he decided to try something new as well, but in the YARD glass.

After a few drinks, I decided I needed something to eat, so I ordered the seafood spinach dip which came with pita triangles as well as nacho chips. The dip was excellent!! Ferni decided later on in the evening to order the chicken fingers and fries and he said were quite good.

There was a really nice and large selection of dishes to choose from and we would definitely come back here again and try something different!

Dress Code: I have to check my notes on the beer I had, but it definitely wasn't my Leffe Blonde. I also ordered the seafood dip which was excellent.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider: Beware of the Mice!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

We did our rounds at the hotels and decided to stop here and grab a drink beach side. The bar is located along Waikiki Beach with really nice tables and an area for a band.

As we arrived our waiter instantly told us there was a table closer to the hedges and near the beach, but "beware, there are mice there!!" We laughed it off and said, ah..what's a mice or two?

We decided to grab that table and order some drinks and enjoy the beautiful night, complete with a full moon. Ferni decided to order his usual Heinekin and I wanted a Blue Hawaiian. The Blue Hawaiian here was not the frozen kind, but it was still yummy.

Ferni and I were engrossed in a deep conversation, enjoying the beautiful weather, the band playing, our drinks and each other when I turned and spotted the mice...there were definitely more than one.

We quickly finished our drinks and decided to take our party else where.

Dress Code: Although the bar is located on the beach with a nice atmosphere, there wasn't anything special what would want to make us return and of course the mice is a different matter all together :(

Pikake Terrace: My favorite place for a frozen Blue Hawaiian

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

The Pikake Terrace is a favorite place of mine to enjoy some really yummy Frozen Blue Hawaiian's and/or to grab something to eat in a relaxed, open bar like setting.

The place is usually crowded with the hotel patrons and one thing that I would recommend if you come here is to sit at the bar. Although there are plenty of tables, the service can be "shotty" at best since there are few servers covering all the tables including those around the pool area. The same waitress that served me during my first visit back in 2005 is still working here. She's quite friendly and remembers many of her diners.

Ferni loves indulging me when he can and although there were plenty of other places we wanted to visit, he made it a point to bring me here so I can enjoy my Frozen Blue Hawaiian.
    I love their Blue Hawaiian Frozen drinks and this is the only drink I will have here. Ferni decided to try their Mai Tai which is quite good as well!

I haven't been to any other bar that makes the Blue Hawaiian like this place, so I will always try to at least stop by for one.

Dress Code: It's a casual place, come as you wish.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Duke's Barefoot Bar: Fun place for a drink and a quick bite!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

This bar is one of our favorite places to come and have a drink, get some food and enjoy a good atmosphere with nice views of Waikiki Beach. The bartenders are great and every single time we visit we always meet the nicest people.

The menu has some nice choices of specialty drinks, well drinks, beers and non alcoholic drinks. The bar food is quite nice with an assortment of "pupus" like calamari, hot wings, marlin flatbread, fries, quesadillas, assorted salads and pizzas, mango bbq ribs, fish tacos, assorted sandwiches and burgers and of course some dessert. I loved their spinach and goat cheese pizza, it was so tasty!

The bar is always packed especially in the evenings. The bar isn't too big and you may not find a seat as many people decide to grab a stool order a drink and some food and by pass the wait for a table. As you enter the restaurant from the hotel lobby the bar is in the back towards the left. You can get some really nice views of Waikiki from here and if you're here during sunset, the views are quite spectacular.

Ferni and I like having a few drinks and enjoying a walk on the beach afterwards to walk off our drinks and meal.

Dress Code: Casual attire.

Red Lion: Decent place with live music and pool tables

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I stumbled upon this place during our first visit to Oahu. We had just had a nice dinner and after dinner drinks at a favorite bar and we wanted to walk around Kalakaua Avenue and see where we'd wind up.

We decided to check out the Red Lion as they advertised a pool table. Ferni enjoys an occassional game or two of pool so we went to play a few rounds and have a last drink before heading back to the hotel.

The Red Lion is a bar/club with a large bar, dance floor and a few pool tables. We made our way down the stairs and into the dark room. I don't recall paying an entrance fee. I'm not too keen on places that require you to go down stairs where it's dark and you can't make out the EXIT signs, but as soon as we got down the stairs we spotted the EXIT signs and made mental notes of it.

As for the atmosphere, it was quite nice actually. There was a band playing and it wasn't crowded. The prices on the beer were reasonable about $6 if I recall. We waited for a short while for a pool table to free up and we play a few rounds before calling it a night.

Check out their happy hour daily, every day for any specials.

There are so many places to have go in Oahu that I am not sure I'd want to return, unless Ferni is in the mood for some pool. I just can't get over the possible hazards of places like this.

Dress Code: Casual.

Lewer's Lounge at the Halekulani: Some jazz and great drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

While we were in Maui we met a fantastic couple from New Jersey. They recommended this place to us as they said if we wanted to go to a really nice place for drinks with a "grown-up" atmosphere and live Jazz, this would be a great place for us. The Lewer Lounge is located in the Halekulani.

We decide to come by and have a few drinks. The bar is located in the hotel Halekulani and was quite beautiful with dark wood accents, dimly lit bar and of course the piano.

We were seated at a table facing the bar with a slight view of the piano and the Jazz singer. The atmosphere was romantic and intimate and allowed me and Ferni to unwind and relax with some great drinks while enjoying each other's company in a wonderful setting.

They have a nice menu with Asian-infused appetizers and some really yummy drinks. I can't recall exactly my drink, will have to check my notes.

Dress Code: Smart casaual, not sneakers, flips or beachy wear!

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: Stopping in for a quick drink

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is a chain restaurant with locations in the US, Mexico and Caribbean. We've been to a few of their locations and find the quality of their food and drinks to be okay, nothing spectacular. This particular Margaritaville is located at the Beachcomber Hotel here in Waikiki.

We were on our way back to the hotel after dinner at Duke's and Ferni suggested we stop in here for a drink. The bar/restaurant is reached by escalators that take you up to the second floor. There is a pool/deck area where you can enjoy food and drinks. The bar is decorated with surf and beach themes and there is a huge whale and shark that hang from the ceiling near the bar. The bar is a nice size with limited seating, but we were able to find a few seats.

I wanted to have a Blue Hawaiian, so I ordered it but to my dismay it was horrible!!! I mentioned it to the waitress who asked if I'd like something else, but at this point I decided to skip the drink altogether. Ferni ordered his usual, a beer. The bartender was really nice about the whole drink issue and agreed to take it off the bill.

I really liked the bar/restaurant area and would come back again on my next visit, but I'll make sure to stick with ordering the Margarita, which they make quite good.

Dress Code: Casual beach attire will do

Diamond Head State Monument Hotels
Ewa Beach Hotels
3 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Oahu nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu