Nightclubs and bars in Oahu

Liz & her Lava Flow (January 2014)
    Relaxing at the bar
    Mai Tai & Lava Flow

Most Viewed Nightlife in Oahu

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Da Big Kahuna: Da Fish Bowl!

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 2, 2007

That’s a fun place to have a drink at. Yes, I purposely said “a drink” avoiding plural form; the reason is the size of the drink.
    Every place in Waikiki seems to have its own special invention; Da Fish Bowl is native to Da Big Kahuna.
    First, I must admit it tastes great, and it’s sweet so you don’t feel the alcohol so much which is the “dangerous” part of the drink. My advice, one bowl is enough for two people and don’t push your luck if you want to be able to stand after you finish the drink.
    The recipe is no secret either, so you can practice at home:
    1 shot of coconut rum
    1 shot of pineapple rum
    2 shots of 151 rum
    1 shot of peach schnapps
    1 shot of Blue Curacao
    And it’s all filled with sprite.

They also serve food and some nice refreshments. Personally I enjoyed their delicious mozzarella sticks, but there is a big enough menu to choose from.
    P.S. When you’re done drinking, take da fish as a souvenir :)

Hale Koa: Mai Tai's

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 2, 2007

Keida84 was “praising” me for daring to drink Da Fish Bowl, but she forgot her own impressive ability to handle Mai Tai’s.
    Hale Koa is a bar on the beach, they do have other drinks, but it looks like people go there to enjoy their Mai Tai’s and trust me they are strong!
    The Hale Koa hotel is serving only military and their families, but their bar is open for everyone.
    The area is pretty big with a large bar inside, lots of tables around it, and even a dancing area with live band (sometimes).
    Prices are about average and service is always good. Great atmosphere in the open air and it was a wonderful place for a VT meeting.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

O'Toole's: Irish bar (of course)

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 3, 2007

You didn’t think I’d skip it, right? Well, I’ve actually been to four of them and they all have different kind of an Irish atmosphere.
    My feelings for O’Toole’s were mixed. It was a great, happy place with life music. The band was really good and as far as I know they’re playing every week, so if you see Doolin Rakes listed on O’Toole’s events’ list be sure that you’ll enjoy it. The building itself is an historical place and looks exactly the same as it was over 100 years ago.
    But, with all that happiness and popularity (the place was packed) they have no idea how to pour Guinness, believe it or not. All the pints were served half full, because they didn’t let the beer settle down properly, so it looked like a still-bubbling diet coke poured out of a can. Did I say it was overpriced? $6 for what they call a pint.

After enjoying the music for a while, we moved across the street, to another bar, where Guinness is GUINNESS!

• Music

Murphy's bar & grill: Yet another Irish bar

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 3, 2007

Another historical building that also looks like it was over 100 years ago, but there’s more to it. From its first day the nowadays’ Murphy’s was a hotel, saloon, restaurants and bar. It is said that King Kalakaua and Mark Twain used to enjoy their drinks in this place.
    Today, it’s an Irish bar & grill, which exists already 20 years. I have to admit that it’s totally different from its neighbor from across the street.
    It’s quiet (although light music is playing), better decorated, and the beer served by more experienced bartenders that excel in their Guinness-pouring techniques.
    So, depends on what you’re looking for, you can choose from 2 bars that face each other on the same street.

Kelley O'Neil's: Keida84's choice

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 3, 2007

A few days before I departed to Hawaii, I accidentally found out that Keida84 will be there too. I couldn’t miss the opportunity meeting her and I was lucky that Kat was able to squeeze me in her tight schedule.
    I called her on the day she arrived and about two hours after she got off the plane, tired but happy she was sitting at the Kelley O’Neil’s accompanied by her best friend and travel partner Kris.
    Meeting Kat was one of my happiest moments in Hawaii. We were introduced to each other, here on VT, by our dear Bernishand about 2.5 years ago and we finally got to meet in person. Kat and I are sure that this meeting was arranged by St. Berni, Patron saint of all VTers.
    It was a great choice for a meeting place. Right in the middle of Waikiki Kelley O’Neil’s is a calm but joyful Irish pub with great service and perfect Guinness. They also serve Mai Tai’s and some nice nachos topped with cheese.
    Now, it seems that Irish bars in Hawaii come in pairs and are always located across from each other. So, if you’re looking for a noisier place (often favored by students) go to the other side of the street to Moose McGillycuddy’s.

Hideaway Bar: Only on Oahu

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 15, 2007

Although tourists are everywhere on this island, there are still some bars where only locals go.
    “Hideaway” was a perfect choice for a bar name, because if you’re not familiar with the place it will take a while before you find it. The local attraction is definitely the bouncer, this guy has the meanest look on his face and while checking your ID he’ll screen you several times before he’ll “do you a favor” and let you in. It was kinda amusing.
    Once inside, you’ll realize that this is not an ordinary bar. Get your beer and don’t ask about the brand, it looks like beer, it tastes like beer, this is what they serve, so suit yourself.
    If at table next to you people start smoking don’t be surprised, apparently they didn’t hear about the smoking laws in Hideaway. Actually, this is one of these places where you go people watching. Just make sure you don’t take their pictures, you’ll get yourself in trouble.
    Ok, I’ll just go ahead and say it, this is Oahu’s redneck bar (or what they call a "dive bar") so if you’re not interested in this kind of entertainment go somewhere less spooky.
    Just one more thing, the bar itself doesn’t look clean and shiny, but I must compliment on their restrooms, the level of cleanliness there puts many fancy, expensive bars to shame.

Yard House: Biggest draft beer collection in Honolulu

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 15, 2007

If you're a beer lover you'll never leave this place! I was amazed by the amount of taps at the bar. Name a brand and they'll probably have it!
    Being loyal to Belgian beers I didn't even expect to find De Koninck on their menu, but I was wrong. It was served to me in a genuine glass "Bolleke" and it tasted exactly like De Koninck of Antwerp.
    Had I ordered some local brands or world more known ones, they'd be served in the Yard glass, that would look like a tower on my table.
    The bar is huge, featuring wooden tables and chairs, 42" plasmas, and loud music. Super bowl addicts will find Paradise in this place. What can be more satisfying than drinking beer by yard, enjoying tasty, juicy burger and watching your favorite team's game?
    Since it's located in the most touristy area of Waikiki, among many hotels, every type of visitors can be spotted at the Yard House, so this is another place for people watching.
    You may have trouble finding a table to sit at, but you can always make a reservation or show up after 11pm and try to find a place to enjoy your beer.
    Althought The Yard House is always packed, we experienced friendly and very quick service, which only added to our great experience.

Senor Frogs: Probably best to avoid

by Nathalie_B Updated Jan 19, 2008

I was on my way to make some sunset pictures, crossing Kalakaua Ave., when I suddenly heard one old lady saying to another: “We gotta try this place, Senor Frog’s looks like a nice restaurant”. It definitely put a smile on my face. WOW, they will be surprised.
    When I arrived in Honolulu, Senor Frog’s has just opened its doors few weeks earlier. A new attraction of Waikiki quickly became a hit. Long lines outside suggested that there’s no more popular place than that. Oh well, I didn’t like it at all. First reason, it was overcrowded and too noisy. Second, there was no place to sit down, even at the bar, because they took the stools away after 10pm. So basically, I paid entrance fee to stand in an overly noisy, crowded bar and drinking mediocre margarita from a plastic cup! Their home brand beer comes in a plastic bottle, although the name is funny the containers are not!
    The entertainment program offered some nice Latin dance music, but it was quickly switched to a DJ who looked for volunteers that were willing to publicly humiliate themselves dancing like they used to in 1st grade.
    Bottom line, those grandmas are too old for this place and so am I.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Lanai of room 1860 the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani: Nighttime Serenades

by keida84 Updated Aug 2, 2005

We had a terrific room at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. Every night there would be live music poolside, we would get our drinks and our Maui onion chips (a whole other tip on those) and go out on our lanai and listen to the music and talk.

The band played all sorts of selections but mostly Hawaiian music, we never found out what the name of the band was, but we enjoyed their music nonetheless.

If you are not a guest at the Kaiulani, you are still welcome to come and sit poolside and listen to the music, although I then recommend you sit on the chaise lounges and not the tables lest you be prepared to purchase a drink.

Dress Code: Definitely casual, sometimes we would have on pareaus and bathing suit, or sometimes our pajamas (we were on our own balcony!)

• Music

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Yard House: Over 120 beer, but no Leffe Blonde?

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

I was dissapointed with this place not because of anything other than "how can a place that has over 120 beers not have my Leffe Blonde"? That is so ubsurd!

Okay, enough of my rant about not having the Leffe Blonde. This place is an excellent place to grab some drinks, eat or do both. The bar is huge, with all the beers they have on tap (over 120) around the center of the bar. We arrived and the places was jam packed with people, the music was a bit loud, but not too overwhelming. The bar area is open seating with plenty of bar tables and chairs. We did the round and found a nice table. Our waiter was really nice. He brought us our menu as soon as we were seated and asked us if we needed any suggestions, to please ask.

I eagerly looked over the menu to see if I could find my Leffe, and much to my dismay, no Leffe on the menu. They did have the Leffe Brun, which dissappointed me even more. Anyway, I asked the waiter for the closest thing to the Leffe Blonde and he brought that right out for me (I can't quite remember what that was though). As for Ferni, he decided to try something new as well, but in the YARD glass.

After a few drinks, I decided I needed something to eat, so I ordered the seafood spinach dip which came with pita triangles as well as nacho chips. The dip was excellent!! Ferni decided later on in the evening to order the chicken fingers and fries and he said were quite good.

There was a really nice and large selection of dishes to choose from and we would definitely come back here again and try something different!

Dress Code: I have to check my notes on the beer I had, but it definitely wasn't my Leffe Blonde. I also ordered the seafood dip which was excellent.

Lewer's Lounge at the Halekulani: Some jazz and great drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

While we were in Maui we met a fantastic couple from New Jersey. They recommended this place to us as they said if we wanted to go to a really nice place for drinks with a "grown-up" atmosphere and live Jazz, this would be a great place for us. The Lewer Lounge is located in the Halekulani.

We decide to come by and have a few drinks. The bar is located in the hotel Halekulani and was quite beautiful with dark wood accents, dimly lit bar and of course the piano.

We were seated at a table facing the bar with a slight view of the piano and the Jazz singer. The atmosphere was romantic and intimate and allowed me and Ferni to unwind and relax with some great drinks while enjoying each other's company in a wonderful setting.

They have a nice menu with Asian-infused appetizers and some really yummy drinks. I can't recall exactly my drink, will have to check my notes.

Dress Code: Smart casaual, not sneakers, flips or beachy wear!

Pikake Terrace: My favorite place for a frozen Blue Hawaiian

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

The Pikake Terrace is a favorite place of mine to enjoy some really yummy Frozen Blue Hawaiian's and/or to grab something to eat in a relaxed, open bar like setting.

The place is usually crowded with the hotel patrons and one thing that I would recommend if you come here is to sit at the bar. Although there are plenty of tables, the service can be "shotty" at best since there are few servers covering all the tables including those around the pool area. The same waitress that served me during my first visit back in 2005 is still working here. She's quite friendly and remembers many of her diners.

Ferni loves indulging me when he can and although there were plenty of other places we wanted to visit, he made it a point to bring me here so I can enjoy my Frozen Blue Hawaiian.
    I love their Blue Hawaiian Frozen drinks and this is the only drink I will have here. Ferni decided to try their Mai Tai which is quite good as well!

I haven't been to any other bar that makes the Blue Hawaiian like this place, so I will always try to at least stop by for one.

Dress Code: It's a casual place, come as you wish.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

A beachfront bar: Drink a Mai Tai at Sunset

by AKtravelers Updated Mar 6, 2007

What better way to enjoy the tropics than to have a Mai Tai at a beachside bar while watching the sunset. It's cliche, but it's also a must. My favorite place is the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki, because their drinks are excellent despite the price. The mai tai's at the Hale Koa are supposed to be the best on the island, and I admit they are superb. Duke's is another popular spot.
    In this picture, Moe is savoring his drink on the North Shore in Haliewa at Jameson's. If you're wondering what a mai tai is, here's the recipe:

16 oz dark rum
    8 oz light rum
    8 oz Orange Curacao liqueur
    32 oz orange juice
    32 oz pineapple juice
    24 oz sweet and sour mix
    8 oz grenadine syrup

Mix all ingredients together, serve chilled. This recipe makes one gallon. If you want to drink less than a gallon, then you can't hang out with Moe!

Dress Code: Dress Code? This is Hawaii! The Royal Hawaiian may require a shirt (a tank top counts) but most places just require that you wear as much clothing as a reality TV contestant.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Beach Bar at the Moana Surfrider: Beware of the Mice!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

We did our rounds at the hotels and decided to stop here and grab a drink beach side. The bar is located along Waikiki Beach with really nice tables and an area for a band.

As we arrived our waiter instantly told us there was a table closer to the hedges and near the beach, but "beware, there are mice there!!" We laughed it off and said, ah..what's a mice or two?

We decided to grab that table and order some drinks and enjoy the beautiful night, complete with a full moon. Ferni decided to order his usual Heinekin and I wanted a Blue Hawaiian. The Blue Hawaiian here was not the frozen kind, but it was still yummy.

Ferni and I were engrossed in a deep conversation, enjoying the beautiful weather, the band playing, our drinks and each other when I turned and spotted the mice...there were definitely more than one.

We quickly finished our drinks and decided to take our party else where.

Dress Code: Although the bar is located on the beach with a nice atmosphere, there wasn't anything special what would want to make us return and of course the mice is a different matter all together :(

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Da Big Kahuna: Da "Big" Fishbowl!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I were looking to have a light meal with some great drinks and we happen to pass this place during one of our evening walks and we decided to go inside.

It was a Monday night and the place wasn't crowded at all. It was karaoke night which made it a nice relaxed evening. This place has plenty of tables in different sizes scattered around and two pool tables towards that back as well which is always a plus for Ferni.

As you enter, the bar is to your right, slightly sunken with views of Kuhio, to the right of the bar was the area that was set up for the karaoke. We found a table close to the pool tables and within view of the karaoke area and we ordered our drinks. this place is known for a drink that is poured in a round fish bowl with golden plastic koi, so I had to to order it (besides, it was filled with my favorite Hawaiin drink, the Blue Hawaiian). The drink is huge and most people will share it, but Ferni doesn't like fruity drinks and I had to have this on my own. I drank about half before I couldn't anymore, it was too much of a drink for just one person. The price tag for this wonderful drink was $20 (wow)!! I also ordered some chicken tenders to share with Ferni.

The atmosphere was quite nice and seemed like more of the locals frequented (well, on Monday night anway). There was a couple who did most of the karaoke singing and they were quite good. As the evening worn on more and more people arrived to have a good night of drinking and karaoke singing.

Ferni and I had a wonderful time here and would definitely return...my fish bowl was excellent and Ferni was able to play a few rounds of pool which he always enjoys.

Dress Code: Very casual, dress as you like.

Oahu Hotels

3 Reviews - 20 Photos
Hauula Hotels
1 Review - 1 Photo

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Oahu nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu