What to pack for Oahu

• Attire

Most Viewed What to Pack in Oahu

Bug Spray

by cjg1 Written Feb 7, 2014

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bugs haven't usually been an issue for us when visiting Hawaii until our most recent trip. My wife got some gigantic mosquito bits on her ankle and back. Fortunately we always carry Insect repellant as well as cortisone cream to help deal with the itch of a bite....my wife travels with a portable pharmacy it seems.

Sun Block

by cjg1 Written Feb 7, 2014

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun Block is always a must for us when we travel. Both my wife and I are fair skinned and don't want to risk skin cancer or have a painful burn ruin our vacation. We always bring our own as we have preferences of brand and want a high SPF which is often hard to find. We prefer sun blocks that are waterproof and have zinc oxide to ensure we can be safe on land or in the water. Make sure to wear a lip balm with SPF; so you don't fry those lips.

Make sure to carry it everywhere; so you can re-apply to ensure maximum coverage.

Just Buy it Here...

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Miscellaneous: Most things from the smallest items all the way to clothing and beach gear can be purchased at one of the many ABC stores. So why not leave some of the bulky stuff behind and just pick up some in Oahu.

Our last trip we decided to pack light since we tend to do "too much shopping" on our vacations and wind up purchasing more luggage to haul it home. We picked up our sun block, beach towels, beach bag and several clothing items at the ABC stores. The prices are cheap so why not.

Swim Gear

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: My wife and I enjoy swimming whether it is at the pool or beach. Swiming for us is more enjoyable when we have the right gear such as water shoes and UV Swim shirts. Nothing ruins a day at the beach like sun burn or cut up feet.

Enjoying the sun without the burn...

Guide Books

by cjg1 Updated Jun 8, 2010

Miscellaneous: It's always a good idea to do some research on an area before you travel and build a loose itinerary. I have found that the DK books on Oahu and Waikiki/Honolulu are very good as well as the book Oahu Revealed. Most books can be found in stores such as Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. On the islands the ABC shops carry a variety of Hawaii guide books to peruse if you didn't plan ahead or forgot your guide at home.

Packing for An Island Vacation

by cjg1 Updated May 26, 2010

Luggage and bags: Depending on the length of the trip a rollaboard or a regular suitcase is good.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Hawaii is pretty casual with dress so no need for the formal clothes. We packed a bunch of tee shirts, shorts, linen pants and some Tommy Bahama shirts for me. I brought several swimtrunks and flips for the beach.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Contacts, contact solution, bandaids, aspirin, hair gel, sunblock, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, shampoo and body wash.

Photo Equipment: My digital camera, video camera, charger and memory card reader.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Umbrella

Dressed in Island Gear...

• tbubbette's Profile Photo

Believe it or not

by tbubbette Written May 12, 2010

Luggage and bags: While the warm ocean waters can be very inviting please be warned of Jellyfish stings. One of the best remedies is to rub in meat tenderizer. Along with the suntan lotion bring this in your beach-bag as well.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A comfortable pair of walking shoes, flip flops and a beach towel. Also an umbrella; rain can appear even during the summer months.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

All you need for a hike

by Nathalie_B Updated Dec 15, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: You'll need good pair of hiking shoes. Sneackers will do, but some more professional type of shoes will prevent you from getting wet feet. Although if you're going to cross streams nothing will save you.

If you go hiking, make sure you have plenty of water with you. In the everlasting Hawaiian heat a bottle of 1,5 liters should be enough for a 3-4 mile hike, but if you plan a longer trip make sure to get at least 2 bottles of water per person. Most of the trails don’t offer sources of drinking water and the last thing you want to remember from your travels is getting dehydrated.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Hiking in Hawaii you’ll be exposed to a lot of sun, like everywhere else on the island. Make sure you have enough sunscreen with you.
    Living in Israel, my skin is used to sun and never get burned. Well, never say never… I returned like a ripe tomato from one of these hikes. So be aware.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: There are tons of mosquitoes on the hiking trails. The closer you get to fresh water source the more blood suckers will be interested in you. You absolutely must have repellant with you, otherwise your hike can turn into a nightmare.
    Besides mosquitoes, many places are packed of red ants; you’ll be amazed to see them running up and down the trees and bushes. This is where repellant becomes handy as well. I got bitten by one of those, not a pleasant experience I must say.

Miscellaneous: From the moment I arrived to Hawaii, I learned about some “nasty” bacteria that is very characteristic to the Islands’ – leptospirosis. You can only get it from the fresh water, drinking it or swimming in it. While hiking by streams and waterfalls make sure you don’t have deep cuts so the bacteria can get through them. While hiking the Kahana Valley I did cross many streams and at times got water above my knees and nothing happened, so I guess there’s nothing to be worry about, just be careful.

And last, but not least, make sure that at least one person knows of your whereabouts! Although, most of the hiking trails are carefully marked, we did come across some confusing paths and almost got lost

Hiking in Oahu

• keida84's Profile Photo

Fun in the Sun

by keida84 Written Jul 28, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I am an avid sun lover however, being fair skinned and a red head this equates to very little sun tolerance. I have found several products which allows me to spend almost an unlimited time in the sun without sunscreen and without burning. The first one is called a "Solarveil" this is a woven shirt that has the protection of 50 spf. The shirt is very lightweight and holds up during repeated washings. I have 2 of them turquoise and pink. The turquoise I have had for countless number of years and it is holding up well. They retail for about $59 usd. That might seem a lot, but considering how much I use them and how long I have had them the cost balances out quickly. To purchase one try: http://www.magellans.com or http://sungrubbies.com or http://www.solumbra.com I also have a swim suit when I snorkel it looks like a spring wet suit but much lighter weight, I zip it on over my regular suit and away I go. This covers my arms, legs (down to my knees) and zips up high on my neck.

Miscellaneous: The last but not least sun product I use is made by Rit Dye. Known as "Sun Guard" this is a SPF product that you can wash directly into your clothes. A normal white T shirt is spf rated 5, Sun Guard boosts the protection to spf 30. It leaves no marks nor does it change the color of your clothing. Sun Guard will not add protection to clothing made of acrylic or 100% polyester clothing.IT will work on cottons, linen, silks and rayons. Do not use bleach and the sun protective factor will last about 50 washes.

Sally wearing the pink SolarVeil
    • Adventure Travel

• TrvlnGrrl's Profile Photo

Pack Light! Get what you need at ABC stores!

by TrvlnGrrl Written Dec 2, 2006

Luggage and bags: We had the least luggage in our group and still over packed...and it was our wedding/honeymoon! Had we not had to bring dress,suit,gifts, we would have only needed one medium or 2 small roller suitcases.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Its really casual and laid back. We brought what we thought would be good shoes, and we both ending up ditching our fancy sandles for cheap foamy ones at the ABC Store. They were more comfortable both on the beach and walking around the city. I practically lived in a light linen skirt that I could wear to the beach or out to dinner. A sweater, or wind breaker..if you are going hiking then warmer clothes might be needed.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Of course sunscreen..and probably aloe gel for when you don't re-apply your sunscreen often enough.

Photo Equipment: We stocked up on memory cards and batteries before leaving home..only to find them actually CHEAPER at convience stores in Waikiki. (not something I would count on, but if you leave something at home, you won't be gouged at the check out.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Everthing is pretty reasonably priced at stores. If you are going to do much snorkling, you probably want to bring your own gear, since it's packable. We just bought stuff there, and then passed in on to other kids/hotel guests when we left. We got cheap floaties to lay on for $3+$1 to blow up. My husband gave in and bought a boggie boards for like $20, and got totally beat up in the waves farther out..but he had to try it. There are tons of blow up beach things for the kids, and they are cheap enough that when they pop, you can afford another. Even beach towels are cheap, next time I will leave mine at home and buy one there..both a souvineer and saves space on the flight in.

Miscellaneous: In general even though most things are more expensive in Hawaii, (hotels, food, activities) you will find (beach gear, sunscreen, batteries) are not that bad. If you have never been to waikiki before you will be laugh at how many ABC stores there are everywhere!!! but their monopoly makes everything cheap for tourists!

• Just a few basics to keep in mind.

by RblWthACoz Updated Jan 17, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sweatshirts or jackets. Any type of cooler weather clothing will do. Sometimes the water is very cold around the islands, especially during the winter. So warmer clothes might be of benefit to you. Also during the winter there are times when it can get "cold" for the islands. So you might need it just for walking around.

Photo Equipment: Bring your best photography equipment. Hawai'i is a target rich environment and you will have use for whatever you bring.

Miscellaneous: Bug spray if you are going hiking. There are a lot of mosquitos which would love to nibble on you. So bring your bug spray so that you won't have to be bothered with all the bites.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!

by AKtravelers Written Aug 18, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: As Oahu is lines with beaches, pack your swimsuit and sunscreen. Yes, even if you are going on business! It may seem rediculous that I'd have to mention this, but on two ocassions female business colleagues of mine did not bring swimsuits and had to walk the beach in street clothes.to Hawaii

Miscellaneous: By the way, it can get cool on December ond January evenings, so in the winter bring a sweatshirt or jacket

This girl came prepared!!
    • Business Travel

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Try not to over pack

by BLewJay Written Jul 18, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The islands of Hawaii are in the subtropics...so that means it will be warm and humid. Bring lots of shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits and sunglasses. Also, bring a light windbreaker for windy and rainy days.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun tan lotion is a must, especially if you have light skin. If you forget anything, there are many ABC Stores located around the island.

Photo Equipment: A good camera with a wide range of options is a good thing.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: As I found out the hard way, if you plan on going into the rainforest, bring a good pair of walking shoes (and expect to get them wet and muddy).

Nice view from the top of Diamond Head

• Pack Light

by Lildeer Written Apr 4, 2005

Luggage and bags: ONE bag, no matter how long you're staying. Pack light and above all, casual. Leave the high heels and sequins at home.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Remember: Sunscreen, two swimsuits, flip flops (thongs), sunglasses, umbrella, shorts, tank tops, travel towel, hat, water bottle, light jacket, one pair of jeans for cool nights.

Photo Equipment: Join us in the 21st century and bring your digital.

The perfect way to savor the islands - camping

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Bring sunscreen!!

by Erin74 Written Feb 25, 2004

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You will definitely want to bring along lots of sunscreen. It is warm and sunny on Oahu and you'll burn much more quickly than you would at home. You will also want to pack a hat to keep the sun off of your face.

• Diving and Snorkeling

12 Reviews - 48 Photos
Laie Hotels
20 Reviews - 35 Photos

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Oahu what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu