Sun/Weather Safety, Oahu

by anderschwan
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Bug Spray

by cjg1 Written Feb 7, 2014

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bugs haven't usually been an issue for us when visiting Hawaii until our most recent trip. My wife got some gigantic mosquito bits on her ankle and back. Fortunately we always carry Insect repellant as well as cortisone cream to help deal with the itch of a bite....my wife travels with a portable pharmacy it seems.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Sun Block

by cjg1 Written Feb 7, 2014

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun Block is always a must for us when we travel. Both my wife and I are fair skinned and don't want to risk skin cancer or have a painful burn ruin our vacation. We always bring our own as we have preferences of brand and want a high SPF which is often hard to find. We prefer sun blocks that are waterproof and have zinc oxide to ensure we can be safe on land or in the water. Make sure to wear a lip balm with SPF; so you don't fry those lips.

Make sure to carry it everywhere; so you can re-apply to ensure maximum coverage.

• tbubbette's Profile Photo

Believe it or not

by tbubbette Written May 12, 2010

Luggage and bags: While the warm ocean waters can be very inviting please be warned of Jellyfish stings. One of the best remedies is to rub in meat tenderizer. Along with the suntan lotion bring this in your beach-bag as well.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A comfortable pair of walking shoes, flip flops and a beach towel. Also an umbrella; rain can appear even during the summer months.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• keida84's Profile Photo

Fun in the Sun

by keida84 Written Jul 28, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I am an avid sun lover however, being fair skinned and a red head this equates to very little sun tolerance. I have found several products which allows me to spend almost an unlimited time in the sun without sunscreen and without burning. The first one is called a "Solarveil" this is a woven shirt that has the protection of 50 spf. The shirt is very lightweight and holds up during repeated washings. I have 2 of them turquoise and pink. The turquoise I have had for countless number of years and it is holding up well. They retail for about $59 usd. That might seem a lot, but considering how much I use them and how long I have had them the cost balances out quickly. To purchase one try: http://www.magellans.com or http://sungrubbies.com or http://www.solumbra.com I also have a swim suit when I snorkel it looks like a spring wet suit but much lighter weight, I zip it on over my regular suit and away I go. This covers my arms, legs (down to my knees) and zips up high on my neck.

Miscellaneous: The last but not least sun product I use is made by Rit Dye. Known as "Sun Guard" this is a SPF product that you can wash directly into your clothes. A normal white T shirt is spf rated 5, Sun Guard boosts the protection to spf 30. It leaves no marks nor does it change the color of your clothing. Sun Guard will not add protection to clothing made of acrylic or 100% polyester clothing.IT will work on cottons, linen, silks and rayons. Do not use bleach and the sun protective factor will last about 50 washes.

Sally wearing the pink SolarVeil
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Bring sunscreen!!

by Erin74 Written Feb 25, 2004

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You will definitely want to bring along lots of sunscreen. It is warm and sunny on Oahu and you'll burn much more quickly than you would at home. You will also want to pack a hat to keep the sun off of your face.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• anderschwan's Profile Photo

Lots of Sunscreen - and a Hat

by anderschwan Written Oct 10, 2004

Luggage and bags: When you are sunning in true Southern Style like Lisa here - bring a Hat, Some Shades and some Sunscreen!

truly stylin'