Budget Meals, Oahu

rootbeer
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

MAC 24/7: Good Breakfast

by cjg1 Updated Feb 3, 2014

Enjoying an early breakfast (January 2014)

My wife and I wanted to find an early morning breakfast spot before we headed out for our Pearl Harbour tour. I googled and found Mac 24/7 located at the Hilton Hotel. The place was a short 5 minute walk from the Hyatt.

The restaurant is located on the lobby level of the hotel on the other side of reception. The hostess sat us at a nice booth and handed us some menus. This place looks like a small diner in appearance with booths lining one wall and a large counter with seating on the other. Surprisingly at 5am there were other people here enjoying some breakfast as well.

The menu had the usual breakfast offerings: eggs, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, french toast, pancakes, waffles and breakfast meats. We both chose to have bagels; i had cream cheese while my wife opted for butter. As for drinks; I ordered a Root Beer while my wife surprised me an ordered a Vanilla Shake.

The food came out rather quickly and we dug in. The bagels were quite good for non-New York bagels. I enjoyed my Root Beer and stole several sips of Liz's milkshake which was excellent in my opinion.

I'm glad we found a 24 hour option in Waikiki as one never knows if jet lag and time change might make you wake up at 3am looking for food.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Veranda: Excellent Breakfast Buffet with a View

by cjg1 Updated Sep 26, 2012

Bagel and Fresh Fruit

Since we were staying at the Moana Surfrider we decided to check out their Breakfast Buffet on the Veranda. My wife and I are early risers, so after our 5am beach walk we decided to have breakfast. Breakfast starts at 6am, which was great timing for us.

We were seated at a nice table for two on the Veranda close to the beach. Our waiter Tony appeared with menus and filled our water glasses. We perused the menu and the breakfast items but decided on the buffet.

The buffet stations are located inside the beach house. Inside there was a nice selection of food such as: Eggs Benedict, Scrambled Eggs, Omelets, Bacon, Sausage, pastries, home fries, fresh fruit, cheeses, bagels, toast, yogurt, cereals, fruit juices, pancakes and French toast. They even had a large table with a full Asian breakfast.

Liz decided on some fresh fruit, bagel, bacon, potatoes and a pineapple pastry. I went for the Eggs Benedict, bagel, fruit, bacon, donut and banana bread. Liz decided to make her own juice combination (much like she does at home); combining Pineapple, Guava and Orange juice. I was so surprised at how good it tasted that I had her make me several glasses of the juice. Several other patrons watched what she was doing and began to do the same with their juice...did we start something here....

The food here was very good especially my eggs Benedict, bacon and fresh fruit. Liz loved the fruit selection especially the small cups filled with assorted berries. The setting was incredible with the sound of the waves crashing and the double rainbow that was in the sky. Our waiter Tony was very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed from more water to new utensils. This is a definite must for breakfast in my opinion.

Favorite Dish: The Eggs Benedict was Perfectly cooked and served on an English Muffin. The Home Fried Potatoes were quite nice with the perfect amount of onions and peppers. The water melon was very fresh and sweet. The bacon was in my wife's words, "The Best Bacon she has had outside of our own house"; that says something.

• Beaches

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Tree Top cafe: Tree Top cafe

by fishandchips Updated Sep 12, 2012

The Tree Top Cafe is located within the International Market and is a nice spot for a basic meal. There were a few options on offer with Burgers the main stay of the menu. The cafe isn't licenced so nice to have a family meal with no alcohol - diet coke all around! As the cafe is located above the market, you get good views of the shops and shoppers milling around as you enjoy a warm Waikiki night.....

Favorite Dish: I had the Mushroom burger and it was really nice! Others had the Big Island burger and they loved it.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Teddy's Bigger Burgers: Freaking awesome burgers

by BLewJay Written Feb 23, 2012

Kailua Style Burger Combo

After getting a good workout hiking up to Makapu'u Lookout, we decided to get something to eat. Not knowing what was nearby, we pulled out our trusty phone, clicked on "Yelp" and searched for restaurants. Teddy's Bigger Burgers popped up, had very good recommendations from visitors and locals, tapped in the address and headed to the location.

Favorite Dish: LJ got the #2 Bacon and Guacamole Burger Combo (7 oz. burger with seasoned fries and a Coke) while I got the #2 Kailua Style Burger Combo (7 oz. burger topped with Teri, mushrooms, swiss cheese & grilled onions along with seasoned fries and a Coke).

• keida84's Profile Photo

Holokai Grill: Great atmosphere~Ho Hum Food

by keida84 Written Oct 10, 2007

Chinese chicken salad

From the outside it is rather enticing, but from the minute we stepped into this restaurant it was mediocre at the get go. First, when we asked to be moved from a table to another part of the restaurant the request flustered the girl so much she said she would have to go ask if that was possible. The wait service was very good; the waiter quite attentive to our needs. Then the food came.

Kris ordered a salmon BLT (interesting,eh?) She said the salmon was cooked perfectly but it had no seasoning at all. She said there was absolutely NO flavor to this sandwich at all. I, on the other hand ordered the Chinese chicken salad which came beautifully presented and almost every bite of the chicken was gristle or fatty which made it clear to me that someone in the kitchen skimped on the food preparation. Again, as with Kris's sandwich, the salad was tasteless and bland. I don't think the chef believed in seasoning.

Favorite Dish: The saving grace to this pretty, well presented but tasteless meal was the nice basket of sweet potato fries, however that was not enough to make up for this blah and bland meal.

• Ebisu Catering Service: Cheap local lunches

by dare2d4l Written Dec 12, 2006

Located in the heart of downtown, this unassuming storefront has a nice selection of lunch treats....plenty of food, and under $6 per plate! You can choose a combination of up to 7 things in a plate. I recommend picking anything that you can't quite pronounce. They're often good. Friendly staff's been working there for quite a long time

• kalanialoha's Profile Photo

Zippy's: Pick up a Zip Pac for the beach...

by kalanialoha Written Oct 12, 2006

Zippy's is the perfect place to stop if you want to eat where the locals eat, and not spend a lot of money. There are locations all over Oahu. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Don't forget to grab dessert as well, from Napoleon's bakery.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish for the beach or the airplane is a Zip Pac. This is a bento box lunch consisting of rice, fried chicken, teri beef, spam, and mahimahi. Yummmm...my mouth's watering already.

Zippy's is also known for their famous Zippys Chili and Apple Napples.

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Stuart Anderson's Cattle Co Restaurant: Excellent service!

by TropicGirl77 Updated Jun 7, 2006

This is a busy restaurant, yet inside you feel the privacy. The food was excellent, and the waiter very attentive ... didn't miss a beat! Most tables are in booths which gives you privacy to be attentive to the date who is paying so much for this dinner, but there is still an upbeat atmosphere. Dress up or come casual, you won't feel out of place!

Favorite Dish: Filet Mignon dinner! Everything on my plate was delicious, from appetizers, salad, meal and dessert ... superb! Their fried zucchini and garlic potatoes were super. (No photograph ... darned ... I was having so much fun eating, I forgot to bring out the camera!)

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Zippy's: Great all around restaurant ... reasonable prices

by TropicGirl77 Updated Jun 7, 2006

Zippy's Restaurants

Zippy's is found all over the island of Oahu. You will find the selection very good, and the prices are very affordable. You can find the basic burger there, American and also some oriental meals. Local keep coming back for the Island style "grinds". Seafood as well as party platters.

Favorite Dish: I love their teriyaki beef plate lunch because their beef is always so tender! They also have the best macaroni salad I've ever had in a restaurant. Saimin is my second choice of foods to order from Zippy's

• BS8's Profile Photo

The Tapa cafe at The Hilton: Kids eat free

by BS8 Written Jun 10, 2005

view of the pool at the Hilton

If your parents have the buffet breakfast the kids eat for free. If you eat all your food you can choose something from the treasure chest.

Favorite Dish: I liked the pancakes and the doughnuts. Mum packed the vegemite for me and on our last day we gave it to the staff of the Tapa Cafe.They all wanted to try it as they had never heard of it and they were curious after watching me eat it every day on my pancakes. Mum loved the french toast and she drowned it with coconut syrup. The bacon was very, very crispy

• BS8's Profile Photo

Wailana Coffee house: Old fashioned cafe

by BS8 Written Jun 10, 2005

going to the coffee house

This restaurant is old fashioned and Mum said it looked like an old American Diner like she used to see in the movies. There were lots and lots of things on the menu and it was hard to chose. They do have a kids menu and the serves are quite big. You also have the salad bar with your meal. On wednesday nights they have Karaoke.

Favorite Dish: Dad had spaghetti bolognaise and if you want more you can just ask them for another bowl. Mum had the teriyaki fish which the waiter recommended and I had Fish and chips. The Jelly is nice here and also I had a great desert.It was chocolate cake with icecream in the middle and then lots of hot chocolate fudge on top, then whipped cream on top of that. It was so yummy.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Rainbow's Drive-In: Eat where the locals eat

by BLewJay Updated May 22, 2005

Ok, I know the name may scare you, but don't miss a meal at this place. We asked one of the shuttle bus drivers to recommend an eatery where the locals eat (great food but inexpensive) and he didn't hesitate one moment to tell us about Rainbow's. Nothing fancy about this place...concrete floors, paper napkins, paper plates, plastic eating utensils, etc, but the Hawaiian plate lunches they serve are to die for (lunch and dinner).

Favorite Dish: LJ selected the Mahi Mahi Lunch Plate (which came with a large portion of lightly breaded Mahi Mahi,white rice and macaroni salad) with a Strawberry/Vanilla Ice Cream Slush while I had the Mixed Lunch Plate (BBQ beef, lightly breaded chicken breast and lightly breaded Mahi Mahi with white rice and macaroni salad) and a coke.

• Vikefan's Profile Photo

Ken's Cafe: Not your tourist restaurant, local eatery

by Vikefan Written Mar 27, 2005

The food was inexpensive, about $5.75 and less per plate and did they pile the food on!!! the shop is off of Hwy 72 in Waimanalo, to the east side of the road. It is in a little strip mall behind the Jack in the Box and a gas station. You will see the Sumo Connection store from the road. Ken's is a small little joint with two plastic tables outside and a couple inside. We were directed there by the ladies at Sumo Connection (owned by Achibono's mother!). Ask the locals, we did this twice and never paid over $6 a plate!

Favorite Dish: The adobe pork was AWESOME. heaped on with white rice. We sent my brother and friend Seiichi, they also raved about it. You can also buy bottles of water and some local canned beverages (juiced soda) for a $1 a can.

• Beaches

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

I Tried so many great restaurants

by keeweechic Updated Sep 9, 2003

I cannot begin to remember all the restaurants, cafe's, bars etc that we went to during our 2 months in Hawaii. Living in a hotel meant that all meals (other than breakfast) was taken at a restaurant or bought and brought back. There were a few memorable ones though.

Orchids Restaurant at the Halekulani Hotel. The seafood is mouth watering although it is fairly expensive here.

Ryan's Grill - The Ward Centre, 1200 Ala Moana Blvd Honolulu. known as the go-anytime order-anything restaurant. Repeat award winner for best business lunch, best bar pupus. They serve a full dinner until 1:00 a.m.

The Banyan Veranda - They serve Breakfast, Tea (1-4:30pm), Dinner and Cocktails. On Sunday they have Brunch: 9am-1pm.
    Location: Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel, 2365 Kalakaua Ave.

On our last day in Hawaii we met some friends for a champagne brunch. We were outside on the balcony looking over the sand and the ocean and a guitarist serenaded us for hours. It was just wonderful - we left about 6.00pm in time to do a few last minute things before leaving later than evening for the airport.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Spam eggs and rice: Breakfast

by Jim_Eliason Written Dec 13, 2004

Spam, eggs and rice

Due to the US military presence SPAM became a staple of the Hawaiian diet. A traditional breakfast dish is Spam, eggs and rice. You can even get it at McDonalds.

Instant Answers: Oahu