Japanese Restaurants, Oahu

Grilled lobster
    Inside the restaurant

Kaka'Ako Kitchen: Gourmet Plate Lunch

by BLewJay Updated Mar 7, 2012

Met up with members of the local scooter club for laughs, discussions and good eats.

Favorite Dish: This was LJs second visit (my first). She has tried the Blackened Ahi Wrap (seared seasoned ahi, shredded lettuce, avocado, tomato, sprouts & wasabi ailoi in a tomato tortilla) as well as the Sautéed Mahi Gourmet Plate (seasoned mahi mahi fillet topped with lomi tomato & a succulent ginger butter sauce with rice and macaroni salad on the side) while I had the Sweet Chili Chicken Gourmet Plate (tender morsels of chicken fried golden brown then tossed in our Kaka‘ako classic sweet chili-teriyaki sauce with rice and macaroni salad on the side).

The Oahu Scooter Club

Marukame Udon: House made Japanese style udon noodles

by BLewJay Updated Feb 29, 2012

This was another recommendation from the valet from our hotel. Oh my, what delicious food, hand made and very fresh. Served cafeteria style, but don't let that deter you. Very much worth the visit!!! Please note that this a "Cash Only" establishment!!!

Favorite Dish: We both got the small Niku Udon (hot noodles with beef topping) and I added Shrimp Tempura and Mushroom Tempura.

Awaiting the tasty meal Tempura delights The meal

Gyu-Kaku Waikiki: A local recommendation

by BLewJay Updated Feb 16, 2012

As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, we started up a conversation with the valet to get the
    low-down" on places to go, shop and eat. Well Justin recommended a number of restaurants, but said that we should not miss going to Gyu-Kaku. Since we didn't have any plans for that night and since it was within walking distance, we headed there for dinner. The wait wasn't bad at all, the prices were decent for Waikiki and the most interesting thing...you can cook your own meal. A delicious experience!!!

Favorite Dish: We decided to go ala carte and what a fantastic meal it was. As an appetizer we ordered the Original Bibimbap (special fried rice dish served in a sizzling stone pot with seasoned vegetables, beef, egg, green onions & spicy chili paste). For an entreee, LJ had Shrimp Garlic and I had Filet Mignon. For dessert, we shared Hawaiian Gyu-Kaku Ice Cream (Macademia nut ice cream drizzled w/sugar syrup & garnished w/Kona coffee).

Cook your own food

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Hanaki Japanese buffet: TASTY crab for cheap

by sunshine9689 Updated Mar 22, 2008

This local gem offers amazing crabs for a very reasonable price ($18 per person).
    I`d go there again in a heartbeat and you should too. :)

HOURS:
    lunch: 11am-2pm (M-Fr), 10.30am-2pm (Sat, S).
    dinner: 5pm-9pm.

Favorite Dish: CRAB, CRAB, CRAB. :)

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Makino Chaya: Great seafood/sushi experience

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 15, 2007

Imagine that you walk into a huge restaurant where you see more food than you could actually eat in a week. It is all nicely placed on trays, decorated to make food presentation ever better than it already is, there are plenty on chefs to cook it the way you like and it's all EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN RESTAURANT.
    I'll never forget the taste of Alaskan king crab legs. I ate so many of them that I hardly had desire to try my really favorite food - sushi. Well, I had no desire, but I couldn't resist it. All so fresh and delicious, I wished I could stay there forever. Different types of sashimi, nigiri, and rolls made my day for just $28.

Makino Chaya is located at the Aloha Tower Marketplace and has some really nice views on the port and gigantic cruise ships. Although this restaurant is very busy and always full it is very tidy. Really great experience.

There was only one tiny problem we encountered, a waiter with an attitude problem. However, we didn't let him spoil our perfect dinner and gladly reported him to the manager on duty, who took immediate care of the nasty server.

Hmmmm Alaskan King Grilled lobster

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Ninniku-ya Garlic Restaurant: GARLIC!!!

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 2, 2007

We discovered this place by accident. I was going through tons of promotion brochures and there it was.
    First of all, once nearby you'll find the place by the smell of garlic. When you enter the place it smells even stronger. It's very smoky inside because of the kitchen which is kinda open, and many dishes are served while still cooked.
    The interior is very unique and reminds a fancy farmhouse. Sure garlic is hanging from every wall. Our waitress was definitely the highlight of the dinner. Never in my life had I experienced such a great service. And although the restaurant was packed with customers she seemed to have time and a smile for every one.
    We started with escargot and some garlic, green salad as an appetizer and then enjoyed garlic rice dish and seafood, garlic pasta. And we wished we had place in our full stomachs for the garlic soup, and garlic fillet mignon. And they have garlic sorbet too, but we never got to desserts. The dishes are huge and everyone seems to walk out with a large doggy bag.
    If you're a garlic lover don't miss this place, it's a real culinary delight.
    One thing to remember: when back from dinner, wash your clothes immediately. Oh, and don't take public transport back to your place, have some mercy :)
    Make sure you make reservations in advance; the restaurant is small and always packed with garlic lovers.

Inside the restaurant Spinach garlic salad Seafood pasta in creamy garlic sauce

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Maguro Ya: Off the Beaten Path for Sushi

by AKtravelers Written Nov 23, 2005

The last few times I've visited Oahu, my friend Ray has taken me to Maguro Ya for sushi. From the outside, it doesn't look like much -- it's tucked in a shopping center in a neighborhood on the north side of H1 outside of Waikiki. When I first saw it, I wondered about it, but I trusted in Ray who is a Japanese-American born on Oahu who spent several years living in Japan. And from the taste and freshness of the sushi and sashimi, Ray knows his raw fish! Now that we're regulars, we sit at the bar and order directly from the chef, who often fills us in on what is especially good that day. After a few beers and some fish, we've often made friends with the people sitting aside us. Maguro Ya is a great experience!
    Be warned, however, that all this quality doesn't come cheap. Our meals (with beer) generally end up costing about $70 a piece. Of course, in Oahu, restaurants are expensive anyway, so this isn't as bad as it seems.

Favorite Dish: If you go here, try the salmon, the tuna, the salmon roe and the uni (raw sea urchin). Yum!

When the sun sets, I go for sushi at Maguro Ya
    • Business Travel

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Odoriko Japanese Restaurant: Don't wait for them to "cook" dinner

by KiKitC Written Aug 1, 2005

Not far down the road, we entered the King's Village and tried Odoriko for some sashimi.
    The entrance from within the Village made you feel like you were cutting through the back entrance. The restaurant was quiet when we were in there (it was early afternoon). The people were very friendly and the food was fantastic.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a sashimi assortment, which is pieces of raw fish (sushi without the rice). The assortment included tuna, yellow fin, salmon, snapper and more. We were really happy with the freshness and preparation.

Irifune Restaurant: Home of the famous Garlic Ahi

by BLewJay Updated May 22, 2005

It's Japanese with a twist...nothing fancy about this place but the food is soooo good!!! It's a BYOB type of place (wine, beer, mixed drinks) but it's been talked about in the local newspaper and the place was packed when we got there. They have great combo plates, garlic ahi and so much more.

Favorite Dish: LJ had the Garlic Ahi, Sashimi Combo & Shrimp Tempura (with a salad, miso soup & white rice, while I had the Alaskan King Crab & Garlic Ahi Combo (with a salad, miso soup, tempura tofu & white rice).

• Zoo