Places to eat in Oahu

Syrup Time

Most Viewed Restaurants in Oahu

Duke's: Great place on Waikiki Beach

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

During our first trip to Ouahu together, Ferni and I were enjoying Waikiki Beach when we decided we needed to get a nice cool drink as well as something to eat. We walked along Waikiki Beach and decided to stop in at the World Famous Duke's. The restaurant was crowded, but we managed to find a table that suited us just fine (it was open seating).

The waitress made her way to us as soon as we sat with the menus said she would be back in a few moments to take our order. I decided I wanted a nice frosty drink and looked over the menu and decided on the "frozen mango-margarita". Ferni decided he wanted to stick with beer and ordered a Heinekin.

Although the menu has some really yummy choices, I really wanted some calamari and ordered the calamari strips and Ferni decided to skip eating at that point as he really wasn't hungry.

The calamari strips were excellent and so was the yummy frozen drink. We had a really nice time enjoying our drinks and the wonderful view that the restaurant has of Waikiki Beach.

We make it a point to visit Dukes ever time we are in Oahu and during our recent trip in January 2012 Ferni and I had drinks and some yummy appetizers at the bar. It's a great way to meet people as we always do with Ferni's great sense of humor and antics.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a yummy frozen mango margarita and the calamari strips which were quite good. while Ferni only had a few Heinikins.

I've also had the mushroom, spinach and goat cheese pizza. Yum!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Hula Grill: Our breakfast was excellent!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

We've been here several times, most recenlty in January 2012. We really do enjoy the breakfast here which is EXCELLENT.

The restaurant is located in the Outrigger Waikiki Beach, overlooking the beautiful beach with nice tables and excellent views. There's also a really nice bar here too, which we have frequented on occassion for a few drinks before or after dinner. The waitstaff are very attentive without being too over bearing which makes for a pleasant dining experience.

The breakfast menu was quite varied with a few local and common breakfast items. I decided to go with the Seafood Eggs Benedit, OMG, what an excellent choice. I usually stay away from certain foods that can upest my stomach, espeically certain breakfast items, but there are times where I really like to try new items off the menu.

Ferni loves Spam, so he decided to have the Spam and scrambled eggs. He totally enjoyed his breakfast as well and decided to make this a place to come to again and again.

We've been lucky to always be seated at an outside table overlooking the ocean and the views of Diamond Head and being there with my Ferni in a beautiful place couldn't be any better.

Favorite Dish: I had the Seafood Eggs Benedict, which came with a side of home fries which were quite yummy, Ferni had the Spam and eggs which he enjoyed.

Our recent visit for breakfast again was just as good as the first time. I had the pancakes with macadamia nuts and Ferni had the French toast!

• Spa and Resort

Kuhio Beach Grill: Decent Breakfast

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

A good breakfast is always a great start to our day when we travel, that's if we get up early enough. On this particular day we decided to check out the Kuhio Beach Grill. It was conveniently located inside the Marriott Resort and Spa at Waikiki Beach where we were staying.

We decided to come here for breakfast on the morning before heading out to Pearl Harbor. We arrived sometime around 8:30 am and the restaurant was quite crowded but we were seated right away at a nice table outside. You can choose to have either a breakfast buffet or order any combination of choices, but after looking over the menu, we decided that the buffet was a better option price wise.

The buffet has a really nice waffle and pancake station as well as an omelet station and of course the buffet of sausage, spam, bacon, rice, fruits, vegetables, and a the other assorted breakfast items including yogurts, fresh squeezed juices and of course coffee.

You can also choose your dish from the extensive menu as well.

Favorite Dish: Ferni decided on some french toast and waffles while I decided on the waffles and pancakes which were served with maple syrup or coconut milk and topped with whip cream wich bacon and assorted fruits for our breakfast.

I also tried their combination fruit juice which was papaya, orange and pineapple juice blended together, quite good. The food was good, but nothing out of this world.

Cheeseburger in Paradise: Excellent Burgers in Paradise

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

It was a late night for us and we hadn't had a bite to eat, so on our way back to the hote, we stumbled upon this place. We had actually spotted the restaurant during our walks along Waikiki Beach and the restaurant was always crowded during the lunch hours, so we figured the food must be good.

The restaurant is quite nice with an "open" section facing Waikiki Beach. It serves mostly burgers as the name implys, but does have an assorted selection of other choices for those who aren't or didn't want burgers. I decided I was definitely having a burger while Ferni decided on the chicken strips (what a mistake).

We were seated in a table as soon as you enter the restaurant as all the tables facing the beach were occupied...we didn't mind as we were quite hungry and there for some grub. I looked over the menu and decided on the bacon cheese burger with onion rings and Ferni had the chicken strips with fries.

I loved my burger, it was cooked perfectly to my liking, juicy and delicious...the onion rings were good as well. Ferni on the other hand did not like his chicken, he claimed it was too "undercooked" and not at all tasty, I didn't try his chicken but thought that he should have probably ordered a burger, which would have been a better choice.

I was quite happy with my meal and I would recommend that if you visit this place, stick with what they are known for, burgers :)

Favorite Dish: I ordered a bacon cheeseburger medium well which was quite juicy with onion fries. Ferni ordered the chicken strips and fries which he was quite dissappointed with and only had a few bites of.

Lulu's Surf Club Waikiki: Not as good as the first time

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

I've been here a few times, the first during my visit in 2005. We were just getting back from exploring Waikiki Beach and wanted a quick bite and something to drink. The restauarant is located at the end of Kalakahua, near the zoo. It was a great relaxed place to have a meal. They are open 24 hours and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a great open balcony with panoramic views of Diamond Head and of course Wakiki. They also have a live band on weekends.

During my latest visit in 2009 we arrived in Waikiki on a late night flight and we were starving. Since Lulu's was located just a few blocks from our hotel and was open 24 hours we thought it would be a good place to get something to satisfy our bellies.

We weren't very happy with the food. Ferni left most of his burger and I left most of my steak.

Favorite Dish: On my second visit here in 2009 I had the steak tips in teriyaki sauce and Ferni had the burger, the food was blah to say the least. I thought that maybe it was due to the time we were here.

Nick's Fishmarket: Wonderul dinner splurge

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

During my first trip to Oahu we had decided on going out to one good place for dinner. It was a custom of ours to "splurge" on one good meal and Nick's definitely was a splurge.

We enjoyed our evening very much and the food was quite good with the waitstaff being so gracious and attentive but not overly, leaving us to enjoy or time here.

The food was fantatic as I can remember, but sadlly can't recall exactly what we had. I do know we enjoyed a good bottle of wine.

Tropics Bar & Grill: Watching Superbowl Playoffs with a few drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Tropics Bar & Grill is located at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and is a great place to grab lunch, dinner, appetizers or just for hanging out at the bar with a few drinks. The restaurant serves your typical bar type dishes with chicken wings, salads, sandwhiches, burgers, as well a calamari, shrimps, fish.

We wanted to have lunch here during our most recent visit in January 2012, but certain items on the menu were not available due to the fryer and electricital being out of order. So, we decided to skip having lunch here.

The next day Ferni and I decided to come by and grab a late lunch and catch the superbowl playoffs with the Giants and the 49'rs.

The bar is quite large, but unfortunately there are only three tv's on each side of the bar, so you have to make sure to grab a stool at the bar. We were lucky enough to be at the bar just at the time that a couple was leaving, so we were able to order some food while catching the game.

We had a great time watching the game and talking to other fans while enjoying a few drinks. There were plenty of 49 fans as well as Giants fans cheering their favorite team!!

Favorite Dish: We ordered the fish & chips for me and the chicken wings and fries for Ferni. The fish & chips were good and tasty but a little greasy, Ferni's wings were really good. The fries were quite yummy as well.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Bali Steak & Seafood: My seafood medley was amazing!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jul 29, 2013

Ferni and I usually plan at least one really nice meal during our trips and since we were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village we decided to enjoy a meal here.

We didn't have reservations but the hostess graciously took our name down and told us that she would have a table ready for us in about 20 minutes. We decided to sit at the bar and enjoy a drink before dinner, but we barely waited more than 10 minutes when the hostess came over to the bar to get us.

The restaurant is quite nice with French doors that open up to oceanfront dining. We were happy when the hostess sat us at a nice table close to the open veranda where we could hear the soothing sounds of the ocean. The atmosphere is more of a “Caribbean upscale vibe” without being pretentious.

As we were seated by the hostess as the waiter walked over to us to tell us he would be serving us tonight and would bring us the menus. He promptly brought the menus over along with a basket of bread. I quickly spotted a few choices and so did Ferni and about 5 minutes later he walked over to our table and asked if we had any questions about the menu. We asked about a few items before making our decision.

The menu is full of your typical meat and seafood options as well as some really nice appetizers both bold and hot. The cold appetizers had a selection of shrimp cocktail, oysters, sashimi and a seafood platter. For the hot appetizers you could have your choice of escargot, lump crab-cake, Yukon potato soup or lobster bisque. There was a few selections for salad, either iceberg wedge, island greens or tomato and mozzarella. For your entrée you had your pick of porter house steak, a 6 and 8 onz. fillet mignon, prime bone-in rib-eye, braised beef short ribs, grilled half chicken, prime rib 12 onz. and 16 onz. As for seafood, they had a pan roasted island fish, pan roasted mahi mahi, and a seared sashimi as well as my pick, the Bali seafood medley. There is also a nice selection of sides like creamed spinach, grilled asparagus, roasted mushrooms, sautéed green beans with Portuguese sausage, fingerling potatoes, jasmine rice, Yukon potato puree and the truffled parmesan French fries. There were also a few vegetarian selections. Along with the above items there is a Four-course Tasting menu.

Service was impeccable and the food arrived about 13 minutes after placing our order. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and didn’t even have room for dessert.

I decided to order the Bali seafood medley which consisted of butter & Thai basil seared Island Fish, scallops, shrimp & lobster with a Yukon potato puree, Maui onions drizzled with a tarragon sauce. I decided to order a side of jasmine rice. Ferni ordered the 8 onz. Fillet mignon with a side of Truffled parmesan fries. My dish was amazing fresh and very tasty. Loved especially the scallops!! Ferni enjoyed his steak as usual.

Prices are about right for this type of dining. Ferni’s steak was $44, my seafood medley was $46, the truffled fries and jasmine rice were $8 each. The prices for the wine was about $14 a glass and Ferni had one glass of Heineken which was about $12. Overall a really good eating experience.

Favorite Dish: As soon as I spotted the Bali Seafood Medley I knew this is what I wanted to order. It consisted of butter & Thai basil seared Island Fish, scallops, shrimp & lobster with a Yukon potato puree, Maui onions drizzled with a tarragon sauce. I decided to order a side of jasmine rice. Ferni ordered the 8 onz. Fillet mignon with a side of Truffled parmesan fries. My dish was amazing fresh and very tasty. Loved especially the scallops!! Ferni enjoyed his steak as usual.

• Luxury Travel

Papa Ole's: Awesome local food

by scaleguy Written Mar 14, 2013

Small place run by a local family. The food is amazing and reasonably priced. There are many choices and variety of food available. Meet the locals and feel the real Hawaii in this family atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Loco Moco for breakfast.

Cheeseburger In Paradise: Great location and always busy

by scaleguy Written Mar 13, 2013

I loved coming here. Centrally located across the street from the Waikiki beach it is a very convenient place to meet. No windows and all the ocean breezes you can handle. The staff are accommodating and portions are large.
    They have a monster burger challenge which my step son attempted and just couldn't finish. He tried hard for sure!

Favorite Dish: Anything that ends in beer!

• Beaches
    • Business Travel

• scaleguy's Profile Photo

Breakers: Great local bar with tons of atmosphere

by scaleguy Written Mar 13, 2013

Very laid back as is typical in Hawaii. Good location with lots of parking on the edge of the marketplace. Local foods and fresh seafood is always recommended. The walls are covered in painted hand prints of customers. Each hand print is signed and dated. Internationally approved judging by the locations represented.

Favorite Dish: Any seafood, especially the Mahi Mahi or Calamari.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Veranda: Excellent Breakfast Buffet with a View

by cjg1 Updated Sep 26, 2012

Since we were staying at the Moana Surfrider we decided to check out their Breakfast Buffet on the Veranda. My wife and I are early risers, so after our 5am beach walk we decided to have breakfast. Breakfast starts at 6am, which was great timing for us.

We were seated at a nice table for two on the Veranda close to the beach. Our waiter Tony appeared with menus and filled our water glasses. We perused the menu and the breakfast items but decided on the buffet.

The buffet stations are located inside the beach house. Inside there was a nice selection of food such as: Eggs Benedict, Scrambled Eggs, Omelets, Bacon, Sausage, pastries, home fries, fresh fruit, cheeses, bagels, toast, yogurt, cereals, fruit juices, pancakes and French toast. They even had a large table with a full Asian breakfast.

Liz decided on some fresh fruit, bagel, bacon, potatoes and a pineapple pastry. I went for the Eggs Benedict, bagel, fruit, bacon, donut and banana bread. Liz decided to make her own juice combination (much like she does at home); combining Pineapple, Guava and Orange juice. I was so surprised at how good it tasted that I had her make me several glasses of the juice. Several other patrons watched what she was doing and began to do the same with their juice...did we start something here....

The food here was very good especially my eggs Benedict, bacon and fresh fruit. Liz loved the fruit selection especially the small cups filled with assorted berries. The setting was incredible with the sound of the waves crashing and the double rainbow that was in the sky. Our waiter Tony was very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed from more water to new utensils. This is a definite must for breakfast in my opinion.

Favorite Dish: The Eggs Benedict was Perfectly cooked and served on an English Muffin. The Home Fried Potatoes were quite nice with the perfect amount of onions and peppers. The water melon was very fresh and sweet. The bacon was in my wife's words, "The Best Bacon she has had outside of our own house"; that says something.

• Beaches

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Hula Grill: Excellent Sunset Dinner

by cjg1 Updated Sep 26, 2012

The Hula Grill was a place we absolutely loved both for the food and the atmosphere. The Hula Grill is located in the Outrigger Waikiki just upstairs from Duke's. When you first enter the place the Plantation Bar and Cafe is on the left. The restaurant has dining areas both inside and outside.

We preferred to sit outside on the terrace with a nice beach view so we made sure to make reservations in advance (the place does fill up). The menu here has a nice selection of appetizers, salads, main dishes, desserts and sides. Both of our meals here were right before sunset on the outdoor terrace. Our waiter Aaron was great and very attentive making sure our drinks were always full; Mai Tai for me and Unsweetened Iced Tea for Liz. They make incredible fresh foccacia bread here that is served with olive oil and chili oil for dipping. Aaron had told us to combine the two oils for an awesome taste (he was right, yum).

Liz loved their Tarragon Roasted Lobster Tail in a Lemongrass beurre blanc. The tail was from a spiny lobster and very sweet. It was served with wild rice and asparagus (I ate the asparagus for her since it is her least favorite veggie). I ordered the Kung Pao Vegetable stir fry. It was a combination of vegetables in a garlic, ginger, black bean sauce served with rice. It was very good and I enjoyed the intense flavors.

We already knew what we wanted for dessert; the homemade ice cream sandwich. We had been told it is the best dessert on the island next to Hula Pie. The dessert was fresh macadamia nut brownies with Tahitian vanilla ice cream in the middle; covered with whipped cream and raspberry sauce. My God it was divine on so many levels. ...the best dessert I have had to this day. I was glad though that we had agreed to split dessert since the portion was huge.

Hula Grill is an awesome place. We loved the calm atmosphere and the beautiful view. This is a nice place to have a relaxing dinner for two with incredible food and service. This is probably why we returned twice for dinner during our stay.

Favorite Dish: The Mai Tai's are very good here and I enjoyed the glass Tiki Head they were served in. The food portions were good and The Kung Pao Stir Fry was so good I ordered it twice. I loved the flavor of the sauce so garlic infused. The vegetables were crisp and not overly cooked which can sometimes zap their flavor.

I have to say that the ice cream sandwich was the best dessert I have had in a long time. The ice cream is creamy, the brownies are rich and moist and the raspberry sauce is a perfect contrast to the sweetness. I'd come here just for dessert...it is a meal in itself.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Chili's: Chili's

by fishandchips Updated Sep 15, 2012

This is an American spot and serves up real american food. The group had a variety of dishes with only my wife Angie getting anything resembling a healthy meal. Mine turned out to be battered chicken!! The service, as with most US restaurants we ate at, was fantastic. As we had a large group the standard gratuity was 18% though in theory this is a guide only lol.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Tree Top cafe: Tree Top cafe

by fishandchips Updated Sep 12, 2012

The Tree Top Cafe is located within the International Market and is a nice spot for a basic meal. There were a few options on offer with Burgers the main stay of the menu. The cafe isn't licenced so nice to have a family meal with no alcohol - diet coke all around! As the cafe is located above the market, you get good views of the shops and shoppers milling around as you enjoy a warm Waikiki night.....

Favorite Dish: I had the Mushroom burger and it was really nice! Others had the Big Island burger and they loved it.

Oahu Hotels

3 Hotels
Aina Haina Hotels
Diamond Head State Monument Hotels

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oahu restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu