Places to eat in Oahu

by littlesam1

Most Viewed Restaurants in Oahu

Pho Minh Thu – Vietnamese restaurant: Do-it-yourself soup

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 3, 2007

It was my first Vietnamese cuisine experience and I enjoyed it. I heard about their soups and one day decided to pay it a visit. This place is hiding behind the 7Eleven store on Ena Road (corner of Kalakaua), so if you’re not looking for it specifically, you’ll never find it.
    The place is very quiet, with some Vietnamese music playing in the back ground. It has some nice and very modest decorations. It’s owned by a family that does everything in this place from cooking and serving to washing dishes.
    The soup was very interesting. First it had a very strong, but pleasant mint taste. Second it was served separately, so basically you make your own soup adding to the broth thick rice noodles and everything else that you ordered with it. Be prepared to get loads of green leaves. I didn’t bother to ask what they are; I trusted that they know what they feed me with. Their spring rolls were tasty too, I liked them a lot.
    Hadn’t it been a take away I’d end up leaving with a doggy bag again. Instead the soup lasted in a fridge for 2 days and fed 2 people.

Ingredients Interior

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Cheese Burger Waikiki: Great Burgers!

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 3, 2007

Located on the corner of Ala Moana and Kalakaua this restaurant is very popular. No wonder! Their burgers are mouth-watering and very reasonably priced. Like almost everywhere on Oahu (I did have one bad experience) service was great and the food arrived very fast. Their margaritas are great and there’s also some beer selection.
    The fries very much remind the famous Belgian fries. And there’s one more unique thing to mention, this place would put many museums to shame. Nothing special, just some glasses, woodcrafts, clocks, paintings but all organized with a good taste.
    I’ve never seen this place closed, which makes me believe that they are open 24 hours, although I may be wrong. Breakfasts are served every morning and the restaurant is always packed between 7 am and about 11 am.
    Bottom line: if you want some tasty burger and great atmosphere you won’t be disappointed.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Various Bars which serve great drinks: Tropical Drinks with Umbrellas

by keida84 Updated Oct 8, 2007

Hawaii is lengendary for its collection of tropical drinks. Since my traveling companion, Kris had never been to Hawaii, it was imperative that we find the best happy hour in Waikiki.

One of our choices was the Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel. The oldest hotel in Waikiki, the Sheraton Moana showed definite old Hawaii class while boasting a wicked line of tropical drinks. Located at: 2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Waikiki, Hi

I had a "Bahama Mama" and Kris had "A Day At The Beach", these both were heavy on the rum and pineapple garnishes with paper umbrellas.

The head bartender turned us on to a flavor sensation--Pineapple with some sort of celery salt which looked liked paprika! It enhanced the sweetness of the already fabulous and tasty pineapple. The bartenders are well trained and serve everyone with a joke and a smile (in our case it was a series of belly laughs).

Then you must try the "Cocktail hour seating" 6 to 9:30pm at the Halekulani's famous "House without a Key" beach front area. Note that this hotel is one of the luxury hotels and appropriate attire is "encouraged." They have a delightful drink menu full of tropical drink specialties their bar staff has created over the years. Located at the end of Lewers Street near the Waikiki Beach walk.

Favorite Dish: For cheap drinks and a heavy pour then you must try the Mai Tais at the hotel "Hale Koa" in Waikiki near Fort De Russy. Whoa! These suckers were strong!

Last but not least at the Waikiki Wave's "Big Kahuna" restaurant located on Kuhio Avenue near Royal Hawaiian Avenue is one of the biggest tropical drinks (and no, I did NOT have one) "Da Fish Bowl" If you are a brave soul (with a good liver) you might one to tickle your taste buds with one of these. All I can say is that it scares me!! (see photo)

Da Fish Bowl Bahama Mama Mai Tai's at The Hale Koa Hotel
    • Luxury Travel

Eggs n' things: Perfect breakfasts

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 3, 2007

I’ve been to this place twice, and both times enjoyed the food very much. Already at 6 a.m. you’ll find yourself outside waiting for a table, this is how popular it is.
    One thing to mention, although it’s a typical American deli-style café, Eggs ‘n Things is extremely popular among Japanese tourists, while others hardly visit the place.
    Food, besides being delicious, is reasonably priced and served at no time.
    Visit Eggs ‘n Things for breakfast or branch, they close at 3pm sharp. The name of the café speaks for itself; their menu consists of eggs and pancakes in every possible shape, taste, and size. Freshly squeezed juices are great, and like in every American deli coffee never ends in your cup.
    Don’t be scared by the long line outside, it won’t take long before you get table and enjoy simple, yet delicious breakfast.

Bacon, spinach, and cheese sausage and tomatos

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Ninniku-ya Garlic Restaurant: GARLIC!!!

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 2, 2007

We discovered this place by accident. I was going through tons of promotion brochures and there it was.
    First of all, once nearby you'll find the place by the smell of garlic. When you enter the place it smells even stronger. It's very smoky inside because of the kitchen which is kinda open, and many dishes are served while still cooked.
    The interior is very unique and reminds a fancy farmhouse. Sure garlic is hanging from every wall. Our waitress was definitely the highlight of the dinner. Never in my life had I experienced such a great service. And although the restaurant was packed with customers she seemed to have time and a smile for every one.
    We started with escargot and some garlic, green salad as an appetizer and then enjoyed garlic rice dish and seafood, garlic pasta. And we wished we had place in our full stomachs for the garlic soup, and garlic fillet mignon. And they have garlic sorbet too, but we never got to desserts. The dishes are huge and everyone seems to walk out with a large doggy bag.
    If you're a garlic lover don't miss this place, it's a real culinary delight.
    One thing to remember: when back from dinner, wash your clothes immediately. Oh, and don't take public transport back to your place, have some mercy :)
    Make sure you make reservations in advance; the restaurant is small and always packed with garlic lovers.

Inside the restaurant Spinach garlic salad Seafood pasta in creamy garlic sauce

Gordon Biersch: Beer again

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 3, 2007

It was my second week in Oahu, when I tried Gordon Biersch, which I liked a lot. To be honest, it was the first time I complimented an American brewery, but then again, I didn’t try all the beers, so I’m not judging, just showing my back luck.
    A few days after my great beer experience I found out that there’s a Gordon Biersch restaurant in Honolulu. This is where we headed for dinner.
    They serve great chips topped with garlic, bacon, and cheese and the asparagus appetizer is really delicious. Main courses weren’t our best choice, though. For the first time I got to try Alaskan Halibut, but it was overcooked and rather dry. I was afraid of choosing Jagerschnitzel, thinking that it’s never gonna be as good as the one I had in Koln.

All in all, it’s a nice restaurant at the Honolulu harbor, located by the water, in front of the Aloha tower. The service was very good and the atmosphere even better. From our table we could see the huge cruise ships leaving the harbor, and the view is quite impressive, especially in the dark.
    I do recommend dining at Gordon Biersch, just learn from my mistakes and make a better choice of your main dish.

Chips Asparagus

Makino Chaya: Great seafood/sushi experience

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 15, 2007

Imagine that you walk into a huge restaurant where you see more food than you could actually eat in a week. It is all nicely placed on trays, decorated to make food presentation ever better than it already is, there are plenty on chefs to cook it the way you like and it's all EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN RESTAURANT.
    I'll never forget the taste of Alaskan king crab legs. I ate so many of them that I hardly had desire to try my really favorite food - sushi. Well, I had no desire, but I couldn't resist it. All so fresh and delicious, I wished I could stay there forever. Different types of sashimi, nigiri, and rolls made my day for just $28.

Makino Chaya is located at the Aloha Tower Marketplace and has some really nice views on the port and gigantic cruise ships. Although this restaurant is very busy and always full it is very tidy. Really great experience.

There was only one tiny problem we encountered, a waiter with an attitude problem. However, we didn't let him spoil our perfect dinner and gladly reported him to the manager on duty, who took immediate care of the nasty server.

Hmmmm Alaskan King Grilled lobster

Todai: More sushi and seafood

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 15, 2007

Before I came to Hawaii, I promised to myself that I’ll eat seafood and sushi until I can’t see it anymore. Well, I certainly did.
    Todai is a huge restaurant located on the Ala Moana, not far from Hilton Village Hotel.
    This time I was smarter, I started with rolls, sushi, and sashimi and only then proceeded to the crab legs department.
    The food presentation is great and everything was fresh and tasty. Service was great and it definitely added to an already pleasant atmosphere.
    Besides sushi and seafood in general, there are steaks, hot dishes, noodles, veggies and some great desserts.
    Draft beers are 50% if ordered after 8pm. For $28 per person you eat as much as you can, and it doesn’t include drinks and tips. I know it may seem a bit expensive, but actually it’s a pretty standard price in Hawaii. Nothing is cheap in Paradise.

Sooooooo good

• keida84's Profile Photo

The Hula Grill at The Outrigger Waikiki: Gotta have those Macadamia Nut Pancakes

by keida84 Updated Dec 26, 2005

Kris and I found the Hula Grill when we asked the concierge at the hotel where does she like to eat breakfast? Answer The Hula Grill at the Outrigger Waikiki.

The restaurant is beachfront so we asked our hostess for a rail table. She said it might be a few minutes but very soon a table opened and we were seated.

The service from the hostess to the manager was warm and friendly. You felt like you were at someone's home for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Oh, well, we came for one thing...Banana Macadamia pancakes with coconut syrup. I will tell you it did not disappoint! Not only was the service excellent, but the food was very well prepared. So good in fact, we returned the next day for eggs and things.

The prices were extremely reasonable, especially for an ocean front dining area.

Highly recommend--5 Stars

An early morning view

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Keoni: A favorite breakfast spot

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 28, 2015

I discovered Keoni during my first trip to Oahu in May of 2005. It's a Thai restaurant which also happens to serve really good and reasonably priced breakfast items. I always try to make it here for one if not all my breakfast while visiting Oahu.

Keoni has a cozy and relaxed atmosphere with a friendly staff and hardly a waiting time for a table. The busiest time of course are between the times of 7:30-9:30 am.

They have a large selection of breakfast choices like pancakes, french toast, eggs, spam, bacon, ham and other items, including an assortment of specials to suit anyone. I usually stick to the same thing, pancakes with macadamia nuts and yummy whipped butter.

The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner (Thai). I have eaten dinner here once, but prefer the breakfast.

I've also enjoyed dinner here on one occassion and found the food to be fresh and served promptly.

Favorite Dish: I love the yummy pancakes with macadamia nuts and yummy whipped butter, no need for syrup, but if you want syrup, they make their own as well as fresh cocunut milk.

My sweetie usuallly orders the steak & eggs, he's a creature of habit and likes his heavy breakfast to start a long day of exploring.

Having breakfast before hitting the beach Enjoying my breakfast one beautiful morning Yummy pancakes with macadamia nuts Steak and eggs
    • Luxury Travel

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Lulu's Surf Club Waikiki: Not as good as the first time

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 28, 2015

I've been here a few times, the first during my visit in 2005. We were just getting back from exploring Waikiki Beach and wanted a quick bite and something to drink. The restauarant is located at the end of Kalakahua, near the zoo. It was a great relaxed place to have a meal. They are open 24 hours and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have a great open balcony with panoramic views of Diamond Head and of course Wakiki. They also have a live band on weekends.

On another recent visit we arrived in Waikiki on a late night flight and starving. Since Lulu's was located just a few blocks from our hotel and was open 24 hours we thought it would be a good place to get something to satisfy our bellies.

We weren't very happy with the food here and my sweetie left most of his burger and I left most of my steak.

Favorite Dish: We've eaten here a few times since they are open 24 hours, but they food on our last visit wasn't good at all. My steak tips in teriyaki sauce and my sweetie's burger (which looked like a pre-fab meat patty) were quite bad, bland, no flavor.

On my first visit Goofy decor at Lulu Burger and fries Steak tips in teriyaki sauce
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Singha Restaurant: My Favorite Hawaiian Food is Thai!

by AKtravelers Updated Dec 6, 2005

My favorite restaurant in Waikiki is Singha, the Thai restaurant catty-corner to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Not only is the food delicious, but about every 20 minutes, Thai dancers appear doing exquisite traditional dances (watch how far back they can stretch their fingers -- amazing!). If I am in Honolulu for a week, I will generally eat there twice, if not three times.

Favorite Dish: I generally like their fresh fish dishes in Thai spice or curry. Their ahi is best cooked rare inside -- it's sushi grade. And, if they have it, get the sticky rice and mango for dessert!

The dancers at Singha always please

• pamstravels's Profile Photo

Jameson's By the Sea: North Shore Must!!

by pamstravels Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is on Kam Hwy in Haleiwa and sometimes is crowded and you may have to wait for a seat, but it is worth it! With views of the ocean you can watch the sunset and the surfers from your table.

Favorite Dish: I like the tuna melt sandwich. Yum, Yum.. Bought the fudge from the gift shop to enjoy later but was not satisfied with it. I don't think it was cooked long enough, a little runny.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Dukes: The Famous Waikiki Spot: Duke's

by AKtravelers Updated Dec 6, 2005

Almost everyone who goes to Waikiki goes to Dukes. In fact, you need a reservation if you want to eat there aon any night of the week. But it's also a great place to go just for drinks, so don't let the lack of reservations stop you. It's one of the few places you can get a drink on the beach.
    On one trip to Oahu, my business group included a man from the Midwestern U.S. who had never had sushi or sashimi. We were dining at Dukes and our waitress was an attractive former Dallas Cowboys' cheerlader, so we figured this was our chance. We announced to her that we were getting him a plate of raw tuna and that we needed her to cheer him on for his first time. She agreed and gave him her best support. A healthy young man, ther was no way he was going to chicken out of eating sushi at this point and he successfully ate all of the fish. Even better, as I predicted, he loved it. Yeah! Team!

The beachside patio at Duke's
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• pamstravels's Profile Photo

Crouching Lion Inn: Early bird special!

by pamstravels Written Feb 3, 2005

The ambience of this old restraunt is calming, old world Hawaiian settler. Built in 1927 by George Larsen of Norway. He and his 7 children moved in but after his wife died and after the depression, property taxes built up and the place was auctioned and sold to Reginal Faithfuls of Honolulu in 1937 for $11,000. (OMG!) 20 years later it was converted into a restaurant and named after the rock formation that the restraunt is under.

A gallery is in the converted two car garage.

Favorite Dish: We arrived before 5:00 pm so we enjoyed the early bird special for half the cost of regular dinner. We sat in big wicker chairs on a lanai overlooking Kahana Bay in the windward side of Oahu (northeast side of the island). Great place to stop on your way back to Honolulu after visiting the north shore.

Get there early for good rates!

Oahu Hotels

12 Reviews - 48 Photos
Kaimuki Hotels
Kalihi Hotels

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oahu restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu