Mexican Food, Oahu

Iced Tea and margarita
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Volcano Nachos

by cjg1 Updated Jun 4, 2015

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is located in the Holiday Inn. As you ascend the escalator the bar is located to the left in the Surf Museum and the Restaurant is to the right. The bar is a nice size with plenty of seats. The bar is decorated with surf memorabilia such as old surfboards and pictures of "Duke". We have come here before for Margaritas in the bar on previous trips.

The bar was pretty crowded when we arrived;so we chose to be seated in the dining area. My wife was not feeling an alcoholic drink so she went for the unsweetened iced tea while I had a Margarita (or two). We were hungry for lunch but really couldn't decide on an entree so we chose to share an order of their Volcano Nachos; a favorite appetizer of ours. It is a huge portion and can usually feed 4-6 people but there is only one size available so we had no choice.

The volcano nachos arrived in a massive heap of tortilla chips, cheese, beef, beans, salsa, guacamole and sour cream with jalapenos on top. Despite our hunger; the plate barely looked touched when our waitress came over to see if we needed anything. I did though take them to go back to the hotel fridge in case I wanted some a bit later.

Food and service is good here; typical of all the Margaritaville restaurants we have visited. I will always come back whether it's just for drinks or for a bite to eat.

Volcano Nachos Iced Tea and margarita
    • Beaches

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Chili's: Chili's

by fishandchips Updated Sep 15, 2012

This is an American spot and serves up real american food. The group had a variety of dishes with only my wife Angie getting anything resembling a healthy meal. Mine turned out to be battered chicken!! The service, as with most US restaurants we ate at, was fantastic. As we had a large group the standard gratuity was 18% though in theory this is a guide only lol.

Lots and lots of fat The healthy option

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

LA CUCARACHA: mexican food

by mindcrime Written Dec 8, 2009

The colorful exterior attracted us and we decided to give it a try. Although it was full of people the service was fast and friendly. I don’t have the same feeling about the food though. It wasn’t tasty and we noticed that everything was expensive, especially the drinks. All the portions were small, I wouldn’t mind if they tasted better.

They offered us some chips while we were waiting for the food. Chiken fajitas, carne asada, burritos, veggie taco or with fish are some typical things to try here but if you have already tried them in other Mexican restaurants you will be disappointed.

LA CUCARACHA

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo

Cha Cha Cha Waikiki: Mexican Food in Hawaii? Well..............

by H-TownJourneyman Updated Feb 10, 2006

I'll just start out this review by stating my extreme bias for Mexican restaurants, being from Texas. I did not expect to find a Tex-Mex restaurant or a taqueria, anything that would be up to par with the ones I find at home. But I still have my expectations and my wants if you are going to bill the establishment as one that serves Mexican cuisine. After almost 2 weeks in Hawaii, I was about to die for some Mexican food, so we were recommended Cha Cha Cha by the staff at our hotel. Now in all fairness, they bill themselves as a Mexican/Caribbean restaurant, so it should not be considered a true Tex-Mex anyway. The atmosphere is nice, very casual, reggae music was playing the entire time we were there. But right off the bat, I was disappointed when we had to not only pay for the chips and salsa, but they were considered sort of an appetizer, no refills. So from then on I was kinda bummed. The food was good, I had chicken enchiladas. But again, unfortunately not up to my standards for "Mexican Food". They do have a wide selection though on the menu, from Jamaican Jerk Chicken, to blackened Mahi Mahi, to fish Tacos. Also a wide variety of tropical mixed drinks, the frozen margaritas were very good I must say. So all and all, I would say this is a good restaurant, good food, good atmosphere. But I would most definately not classify it as a Mexican restaurant. Maybe more like a Mexican-Caribbean-Pacific fusion restaurant. A nice, casual one. But if you're accustomed to great Tex-Mex food, and with all the norms that go along with those restaurants, might just wait 'til you get back to the mainland.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

ChaChaCha Caribbean/Mexican Restaurant: Two Happy Hours are better than One

by BLewJay Updated May 21, 2005

With its margaritas, cheap happy hour beer prices, pupus and great menu, this is a restaurant in Waikiki that should not be missed. It combines the flavors of the Caribbean with the zest of Mexico...an attraction that may just knock your socks off.

Favorite Dish: For an appetizer, we selected the Bucket of Chips and Fresh Salsa Cruda. For the meal, we had the Ocean Garden Burrito (grilled Mahi Mahi, fresh zuccini, yellow squash, carrots, cheese, salsa, rice and black beans wrapped in a spinach tortilla & topped with sour cream) with a side of Spanish Rice and Black Beans.

We also wanted to take part in the Happy Hour deal...so for dessert, we had the Kahlua Chocolate Fudge Cake with Whipped Cream along with a margarita.

Instant Answers: Oahu