Various Bars, Oahu

Enjoying lunch
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Tropics Bar & Grill: Watching Superbowl Playoffs with a few drinks

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 28, 2015

Tropics Bar & Grill is located at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and is a great place to grab lunch, dinner, appetizers or just for hanging out at the bar with a few drinks. The restaurant serves your typical bar type dishes with chicken wings, salads, sandwhiches, burgers, as well a calamari, shrimps, fish.

We wanted to have lunch here during a recent visit in January 2012, but certain items on the menu were not available due to the fryer and electricital being out of order. So, we decided to skip having lunch here.

The next day we decided to come by and grab a late lunch and catch the superbowl playoffs with the Giants and the 49'rs.

The bar is quite large, but unfortunately there are only three tv's on each side of the bar, so you have to make sure to grab a stool at the bar. We were lucky enough to be at the bar just at the time that a couple was leaving, so we were able to order some food while catching the game.

We had a great time watching the game and talking to other fans while enjoying a few drinks. There were plenty of 49 fans as well as Giants fans cheering their favorite team!!

Favorite Dish: We ordered the fish & chips for me and the chicken wings and fries. The fish & chips were good and tasty but a little greasy, my sweetie's wings were really good. The fries were quite yummy as well.

Fish & Chips Fries Chicken Wings
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Tiki's Grill & Bar: Tasty Food and Drinks in Heads

by cjg1 Updated Dec 10, 2013

The Tiki Grill was a place that our friend Salmo had recommended us to try; since then it has become a regular stop for us when visiting the area. The Tiki Grill is a nice rooftop bar/restaurant with nice indoor/outdoor seating. The bar area is on the left hand side of the restaurant with an open air seating and a space for the nightly entertainment.

Liz and I decided to come here for some drinks and snacks after spending some time at the beach. We arrived rather early before 11am (they open at 10:30). The hostess seated us at a table outside with a beautiful beach view. The menu had a variety of appetizers, pub grub and more substantial entree choices. The drink menu was rather extensive with beer, different types of wine, hard alcohol and mixed drinks.

After perusing the menus I decided to have a Mai Tai and Liz chose the Polynesian Prince. Both drinks came in souvenir cups. We had a choice of cups(assorted Tiki Heads, coconuts, and glasses) and decided on Tiki heads; a brown for me and a Green for Liz. Our drinks arrived promptly and we then ordered the Calamari Katsu to share. My Mai Tai was very good and I loved the Tiki Head. Liz's Polynesian Prince was a blend of fresh strawberry puree, pineapple juice, rum and a dash of sparkling wine. Liz loved her drink although her Tiki Head looked as if his nose needed to be repaired (our waiter brought over a new one for us to take home).

The Calamari Katsu arrived on a large warm plate. It was a large calamari steak in a panko crust covered with blue crab and shrimp salsa in a lemongrass caper butter sauce. Wow! This was one awesome appetizer. The calamari was tender, the crust was perfect, the crab and shrimp were very flavorful and the sauce was insanely good. Liz and I gobbled it up leaving just a pool of sauce in the plate.

I really enjoyed this place for it's laid back atmosphere, good service, awesome beach view, tasty drinks and delicious food. I was so glad we tried this place and then I found out it was an I-dine...awesome!

**We recently returned in 2013 for another amazing time. My wife's Polynesian Prince Drink was off the menu but the bartender made her one anyway...nice job. I enjoyed their Mai Tai and we shared that delicious Calamari Steak we so love here.**

Favorite Dish: The Calamari Katsu was very tasty and perfect for two. The calamari was tender and not rubbery. The panko crust was light and crispy ( I despise when there is too much breading). The sauce made the dish with it's tangy and creamy taste of butter mixed with salty capers and tangy lemongrass.

Tiki Twins Liz and I at the Tiki Grill Tasty Calamari Liz and her Polynesian Prince Drinking my Mai Tai
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• scaleguy's Profile Photo

Breakers: Great local bar with tons of atmosphere

by scaleguy Written Mar 13, 2013

Very laid back as is typical in Hawaii. Good location with lots of parking on the edge of the marketplace. Local foods and fresh seafood is always recommended. The walls are covered in painted hand prints of customers. Each hand print is signed and dated. Internationally approved judging by the locations represented.

Favorite Dish: Any seafood, especially the Mahi Mahi or Calamari.

We left our mark too! Enjoying lunch They bring you the paint and markers Rocking the hula statue My family is memorialized on the North Shore

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Tropics Bar and Beach Cafe: Grabbing A Bite At The Beach

by VeronicaG Updated Jul 15, 2008

Spending a day at the beach can make one very hungry. Fortunately for us, TROPICS Bar and Beach Cafe was handily located near Kahana-moku beach, our chosen site for the day.

We found one of the few umbrella tables remaining in the outdoor dining area and promptly ordered something to drink--we were parched!

I wish I could say that our order was speedily taken, but to be fair, it was crowded. However, we were people-watching and sipping our ice teas, so didn't mind too much.

A Chicken Caesar Salad was my choice for lunch ($8.50); Jim selected a Fruit Salad with Yogurt and a Small Muffin ($9.75) and Justin ordered Hamburger and Fries ($13.75).

We arrived famished, enjoyed every bit of our lunch and headed back to the beach for the rest of the afternoon.

Tropics
    • Singles

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

BREAKERS: Surf Decor and Good Eating

by VeronicaG Updated Jul 6, 2008

While at the North Shore we happened upon BREAKERS, a surfers hang out in Haleiwa, where the wait staff clued us in on who's who in the world of surfing.

Surf boards hang from the ceiling and over doorways signed by the big names of this sport: for example, Kelly Slater who was world champion 8 times. Surf enthusiasts visit the area from September-February since the big waves appear in the winter months.

After checking out the surf boards, we settled into our chairs and I selected Fish and Chips for my lunch. The fish was mahi-mahi--the most luscious I had ever tasted! Breakers is located in the North Shore Marketplace. After eating, wander through the shops for souvenirs or do some shopping for yourself.

Save dessert for Matsumoto's Shaved Ice...see later tip.

BREAKERS
    • Singles

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Lucy's Bar and Grill: Popular local spot in Kailua

by Lhenne1 Updated May 8, 2008

Lucy's is a great restaurant located in Kailua, not far from the beach. The seafood was excellent and the service was great. The food was so good that friends hired the chef to cater their wedding.

We had a fairly large group, 8 in all which the restaurant was happy to accommodate. I do suggest making reservations in advance, as the restaurant fills up quickly on a Friday and Saturday.

Large fish tanks act as room dividers so the space is broken a bit to feel more intimate. Our waitress was quite knowledgeable about the tanks and could tell us about some of the pretty tropical fish swimming around inside.

The atmosphere felt like the Hawaii we were looking for, without the overpowering tourism that we found in Waikiki. It was laid-back and relaxed, exactly what everyone needed.

Favorite Dish: Everyone at our table had seafood, except for one order of steak (which I was told was quite good). The rare Ahi tuna was encrusted in sesame seeds and served with sweet potato mash and mustard and sesame dipping sauces.

There is a drink called the Coconut Rum Surprise which was very yummy if you enjoy a cocktail (coconut rum, pineapple juice and lilikoi juice).

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Gordon Biersch: Beer again

by Nathalie_B Written Nov 3, 2007

It was my second week in Oahu, when I tried Gordon Biersch, which I liked a lot. To be honest, it was the first time I complimented an American brewery, but then again, I didn’t try all the beers, so I’m not judging, just showing my back luck.
    A few days after my great beer experience I found out that there’s a Gordon Biersch restaurant in Honolulu. This is where we headed for dinner.
    They serve great chips topped with garlic, bacon, and cheese and the asparagus appetizer is really delicious. Main courses weren’t our best choice, though. For the first time I got to try Alaskan Halibut, but it was overcooked and rather dry. I was afraid of choosing Jagerschnitzel, thinking that it’s never gonna be as good as the one I had in Koln.

All in all, it’s a nice restaurant at the Honolulu harbor, located by the water, in front of the Aloha tower. The service was very good and the atmosphere even better. From our table we could see the huge cruise ships leaving the harbor, and the view is quite impressive, especially in the dark.
    I do recommend dining at Gordon Biersch, just learn from my mistakes and make a better choice of your main dish.

Chips Asparagus

• keida84's Profile Photo

Various Bars which serve great drinks: Tropical Drinks with Umbrellas

by keida84 Updated Oct 8, 2007

Hawaii is lengendary for its collection of tropical drinks. Since my traveling companion, Kris had never been to Hawaii, it was imperative that we find the best happy hour in Waikiki.

One of our choices was the Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel. The oldest hotel in Waikiki, the Sheraton Moana showed definite old Hawaii class while boasting a wicked line of tropical drinks. Located at: 2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Waikiki, Hi

I had a "Bahama Mama" and Kris had "A Day At The Beach", these both were heavy on the rum and pineapple garnishes with paper umbrellas.

The head bartender turned us on to a flavor sensation--Pineapple with some sort of celery salt which looked liked paprika! It enhanced the sweetness of the already fabulous and tasty pineapple. The bartenders are well trained and serve everyone with a joke and a smile (in our case it was a series of belly laughs).

Then you must try the "Cocktail hour seating" 6 to 9:30pm at the Halekulani's famous "House without a Key" beach front area. Note that this hotel is one of the luxury hotels and appropriate attire is "encouraged." They have a delightful drink menu full of tropical drink specialties their bar staff has created over the years. Located at the end of Lewers Street near the Waikiki Beach walk.

Favorite Dish: For cheap drinks and a heavy pour then you must try the Mai Tais at the hotel "Hale Koa" in Waikiki near Fort De Russy. Whoa! These suckers were strong!

Last but not least at the Waikiki Wave's "Big Kahuna" restaurant located on Kuhio Avenue near Royal Hawaiian Avenue is one of the biggest tropical drinks (and no, I did NOT have one) "Da Fish Bowl" If you are a brave soul (with a good liver) you might one to tickle your taste buds with one of these. All I can say is that it scares me!! (see photo)

Da Fish Bowl Bahama Mama Mai Tai's at The Hale Koa Hotel
    • Luxury Travel

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

Shore Bird: Nice steakhouse!

by Travel2write Updated Aug 1, 2007

Steaks! One of the greatest places to enjoy a nice dinner and watch the sunset as well as a nice view of Wiakiki and Diamond Head.

Offers Breakfast Buffet 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

Lunch/Grill Menu 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. Healthy Lunch Buffet 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

My favorite is the broil you own dinner with all you can eat salad bar 4:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Entertainment Nightly 4:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. and offers Late Night Dining till 1:00 a.m.

Favorite Dish: The idea of grilling you own staek may be of interest, or you can ask them to do it for you? Either way, this is a nice place to take in some entertainment and enjoy your dinner.

• Business Travel

• tee0206's Profile Photo

Tiki's: Great Mai Tais

by tee0206 Written Jul 12, 2006

This restaurant had excellent food, but it's a very popular restaurant and it was very crowded. We probably should have gotten reservations so we wouldn't have had to wait an hour. I wanted to order traditional Hawaiian foods and I enjoyed a huge sampler dish complete with Kalua Pig, Lomi Lomi Salmon, etc. It was excellent. The only problem we had the entire night was the fact that we ended up at the hotel during a strong thunderstorm, so the entire outdoor dining area was closed. It would have been nice to enjoy dinner outside in spring weather.

Favorite Dish: A friend of mine claimed that this place had the best Mai Tais out of all the places he visited near Waikiki. And in some places, Mai Tais cost less than beer, which is very surprising for us from the mainland.

• School Holidays
    • Beaches

• C_L_T's Profile Photo

Tikis Restaurant and Bar: Tikis

by C_L_T Written Oct 3, 2004

Tikis Restaurant has an outside terrace and indoor seating. We booked our table for the evening and watched the sunset over Waikiki Beach while we ate. The menu is varied with something for everyone and is good value for money...especially that view! Make sure you book a table ahead as it does get busy.

• Erin74's Profile Photo

Shorebird Restaurant & Beach Bar: Excellent, affordable food at Shorebird Restaurant

by Erin74 Written Jan 12, 2004

The Shorebird Restaurant and Beach Bar was one of our great finds during our time on Oahu. We'd seen it featured on The Food Network several months before our trip, and then when we passed by it on the beach, we decided to stop in.

The Shorebird has some of the best prices in Waikiki, especially considering that it is right on the beach (great view!) and has such good food and service. Our server could not have been nicer and more helpful. When I mentioned how much I loved the salad dressing they served (a papaya seed dressing-- it was SO good!), she told me where on the island I could buy the best brands and brought me out several other native dressings to try.

The restaurant has live music and elegant, tropical decor, complete with large overhead fans and oceanfront tables surrounded by palms and tiki torches. From Noon to 3pm, the Beach Bar offers a fresh salad bar for $9.99. It features a wide array of fruit, salads, pasta, bread, etc...

Favorite Dish: We ate at the Beach Bar, which is slightly less expensive than the restaurant. I recommend the Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Breast Sandwich and the Mahi Mahi Sandwich. Also, be sure to order the Beach Bar Salad and sample that amazing Papaya Seed Dressing. This dressing is also really good as a dip for chicken strips.

At the restaurant, you can choose from several different kinds of steaks and lots of fresh fish. They also feature a kids menu.

Breakfast 7 - 11 am
    Lunch 11 am - 3:30 pm
    Dinner 4:30 - 10 pm

• Kaleisu's Profile Photo

Shorebird: All-you-can-eat Hawaiian Buffet

by Kaleisu Written Jan 11, 2004

Located right on Wakiki Beach, the Shorebird restaurant was a delightful surprise. Arrive around 4:30-5:00pm to miss the dinner rush and watch the sunset in this open-air restaurant on the beach. You can stroll the beach during your 15 minute wait for a table. Grill your own meat or try the all-you-can-eat salad bar for less than $9.95. Local Hawaiian dishes are included on the salad bar and taste better than the luau that I went to. Four of us ate for $50 (no drinks).

Favorite Dish: Excellent poi - see Paradise Cove night life review to see how to eat "tastefully."

Diamond Head view from the Shorebird

• Kaleisu's Profile Photo

Lakeside Lanai: Best Mai Tai on Oahu

by Kaleisu Updated Jan 11, 2004

What this place lacks in variety, it makes up for in quality friendly service. This place is a favorite for locals, bikers, and service men. You won't find many tourists in Wahiawa, so you're guaranteed a unique experience. The Mai Tai's are the best I had on the entire island - they are also the STRONGEST. After 1 1/3, I was ready to dance on the table. Food is dirt cheap and the establishment is open-air. Some mosquitoes - as the name indicates the lakeside location. Great stop on the way from Honolulu to the Northshore or vice versus.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarians should try the Nachos and Taco Salad, minus the beef/chicken. Local service men highly recommend the steak.

• CADUM's Profile Photo

Hardrock Cafe: I know, I know

by CADUM Written Jul 18, 2005

The food is O.K. and I know that there are other Hardrocks around the world. This is truly a nice place to relax for a while and look at Rock n' Roll memorabilia.

Favorite Dish: Just a burger please.

Hardrock Cafe