Vietnamese Restaurants, Oahu

food at Pho Old Saigon

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Ba Le Sandwich Shop: A great mix of French & Vietnamese

by BLewJay Updated Apr 4, 2011

We scoured the tour books for information regarding restaurants...we happend to be in Chinatown when we ran across one ot them...Ba Le. Nothing fancy about this place (it's a local chain) but the food was great and inexpensive...a great combination especially when vacationing in Hawaii. It's said to have the best French bread in Honolulu and features sandwiches, Vietnamese-style manapua, tapioca and taro pudding, and other delicacies.

Favorite Dish: We had lunch at this restaurant...LJ selected the Shrimp Roll Meal (jumbo shrimp, rice, cilantro and veggies wrapped in a paper-thin rice roll with a Thai peanut dipping sauce) while I had the Roast Beef Croissant (tender, thinly sliced roast beef with cucumber, carrots, cilantro and mayo).

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Duc's Bistro: friendly Vietnamese-French food in Chinatown

by AKtravelers Written Jan 4, 2010

One of my favorite restaurants on all of Oahu is Duc's Bistro, a Vietnamese-French-Hawaiian bijou that consistemtly makes me thankful for taste buds. Duc emigrated to Hawaii long ago after growing up in Saigon, and he has brough the best of Vietnam with him, combining his cooking knowledge with fresh local fishes and produce to create wonderful concoctions. His duck is among the best I've ever tasted, but you'll enjoy the standard Vietnamese dishes or his melanges equally. We try not to go more than two months without stopping in to see Duc, who is almost always there and chats with you as if you are a long lost friend even if he has never met you.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Pho Old Saigon: Vietnamese restaurant

by mindcrime Written Dec 8, 2009

They advertise their restaurant as the only Vietnamese restaurant in Waikiki but we just wanted something to eat that day. The service was very fast and friendly. The menu didn’t have many choices but the food wasn’t that expensive here so we didn’t have many expectations. Of course, comparing with other vitnamese restaurants it’s way too expensive but everything is overpriced in Waikiki.

There are many salads for $10, we tried a small green one and another better more complicated with papaya :) We also took grimps and pork, and some spring rolls and crispy chicken wings. We washed them down with a coke ($1,5) and beers ($3.75). We didn’t pay more than $40 but most of the plates/bowls size seemed small.

They are open 11.00-22.00. There isn’t really something special here but it did the job. You can take out food but there’s no delivery service.

Pho Old Saigon Pho Old Saigon interior food at Pho Old Saigon

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Pho Minh Thu – Vietnamese restaurant: Do-it-yourself soup

by Nathalie_B Updated Nov 3, 2007

It was my first Vietnamese cuisine experience and I enjoyed it. I heard about their soups and one day decided to pay it a visit. This place is hiding behind the 7Eleven store on Ena Road (corner of Kalakaua), so if you’re not looking for it specifically, you’ll never find it.
    The place is very quiet, with some Vietnamese music playing in the back ground. It has some nice and very modest decorations. It’s owned by a family that does everything in this place from cooking and serving to washing dishes.
    The soup was very interesting. First it had a very strong, but pleasant mint taste. Second it was served separately, so basically you make your own soup adding to the broth thick rice noodles and everything else that you ordered with it. Be prepared to get loads of green leaves. I didn’t bother to ask what they are; I trusted that they know what they feed me with. Their spring rolls were tasty too, I liked them a lot.
    Hadn’t it been a take away I’d end up leaving with a doggy bag again. Instead the soup lasted in a fridge for 2 days and fed 2 people.

Ingredients Interior

• Pho Pearl: Not quite the jewel of honolulu

by dare2d4l Written Dec 11, 2006

Was craving my usual rice noodle, so I picked a off-the-beaten-track place to eat. The food is decent, but nothing well done. The meat could've been marinated and tenderized more.

Instant Answers: Oahu