Stores, Malls or Markets in Oahu

by cjg1

Most Viewed Shopping in Oahu

International Market Place: Closed as of 1/31/14

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

*****UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS NOW CLOSED. We found out in January 2014 on our last trip to Oahu that the marketplace is being torn down for more luxury shopping. How sad this is. We spoke to some shop owners and some still don't know if they will find a new location or close for good. That is just horrible; they lose their income and many people lose their jobs. The marketplace was always a fun shopping destination whenever I visited Oahu. Fortunately though, we were told they will not tear down the beautiful Banyan Tree in the Marketplace and the Koi will be relocated.********

The International Marketplace is what I call a mish mosh of stalls, carts and shops. You can find anything here from local crafts, clothing, jewelry and souvenirs. The prices here vary with the shops in the front usually being more expensive while the shops in the back are more reasonable. This is a good place to grab some of those souvenirs for the people back home. The vendors are very friendly and not pushy; which appeals to me greatly. Our last trip to the markeptplace in 2013; we bought some personalized Christmas ornaments, a few sundresses, some tee shirts and some hair flowers.

In the center of the marketplace is a huge Banyan tree; supposedly over 100 years old. It is surrounded by a waterfall and pond filled with brightly colored fish.

If your hungry from all the shopping; the International Food Court has plenty of food options from burgers to Thai and Chinese. Cafteria Style outdoor seating makes it a casual place to grab a bite.

The Marketplace is open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

What to buy: Anything from a tee shirt, necklace, flowers, Tiki Glass, etc.

What to pay: Inexpenive/affordable

• cjg1's Profile Photo

ABC Stores: If you can't find it here........................

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

ABC Stores are located all over Oahu. You can't walk down a block without hitting a store or several stores. The stores range from small shops to large department sized stores. Everything you could want to buy are in these stores: food items, alcohol, souvenirs, clothing, makeup, toiletries, sun block, beach towels, candy, picture frames, beach coolers, hats and more. The prices here are very affordable so it is the perfect place to pick up some cheap souvenirs for the people back home.

During our most recent trip, Liz and I hit several of the ABC stores for souvenir items. We found some Tee Shirts for ourselves; a few beach ones for me and a Hello Kitty for my wife (she is a huge Hello Kitty fan). We bought some Kona coffee for my Mother-in-law and a tee for our friend who was watching our kitty. We also bought some cute Plumeria necklaces for my nieces. At one location they had two very cute beach dresses (2 for $30) which made for nice coverups for Liz at the beach.

We always save our receipts. Depending on how much you spend you receive a free gift. At the end of our trip we handed in all of our receipts and got a free beach bag which came in handy for lugging our souvenirs back home on the plane.

**ABC is definitely a bargain store. No items will "break the bank" or budget. It's also a great place to buy the souvenirs for the people back home without spending a fortune.**

What to buy: We've bought so much from ABC during our trip. Beach bag, towels, tee shirts, hats, hair accessories, sun dresses, sunblock, snacks, coffee.... and all very reasonably priced.

What to pay: Very inexpensive

Stupid Factory: Tee Shirts with a Message

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

The Stupid Factoy is a store with some funny tee shirts, sweatshirts and magnets for those with a colorful take on life. My wife has numerous magnets from this store and loves the cheeky sense of humor. Liz spotted a black tank top in the shop that read "Come to the Dark Side...We have Cookies". This is her style of humor so she had to have it.

They had some really funny shirts for men, women and children so the whole family can get outfitted in one of these quirky ensembles.

Honolulu Cookie Company: Tasty Cookies

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

The Honolulu Cookie Company is a chain of shops that sell gourmet shortbread cookies. You can find stores all over Honolulu as well as in the airport. They sell cookies loosely or in boxes as gifts. They have a variety of flavors and some cookies are chocolate or coconut covered.

My favorite cookie here is their Butter Macadamia; a tasty shortbread cookie with macadamia nuts. I love that it is shaped like a pineapple for a bit of added fun. My wife cannot have nuts so she usually has their Lilikoi Mango; which is a pink cookie shaped like a pineapple. I'm not a fan of Mango so this isn't the cookie for me.

We often bring back cookies for family and friends. Their Ultimate Collection Gift box is always a hit with the folks back home as it has a sample of all their flavors. It is also easy to transport as it comes in a nice tin.

What to pay: Inexpensive; I think our cookies are a $1 a piece and the tin of cookies is a bit under $25.

Coco Cove: Local Items

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Coco Cove is much like an ABC store. They carry a large selection of souvenir items such as post cards, magnets, tee shirts and the like. They also carry a large variety of local food items such as: macadamian nuts, Guava Syrup, Hawaiian sea salts and Kona coffee. They also have a large selection of locally made bath and body products as well as housewares. On one side of the store are small grocery items and a deli.

My wife and I purchased a few items from here: Lilikoi and guava syrups, Sea Salts, a spicy rub for pork and a stuffed pineapple for our nephew back home. Prices are reasonable for the area.

Chapel Hats: Sun Hats and More

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

Chapel Hats is located right on Kalakaua Avenue right before you reach the International Marketplace. The store carries a variety fo hats for men and women; both dressy and casual. My wife loves her sun hats and is always on the lookout for large brimmed hats that will shade not only her face but her shoulders from the sun. My wife tans easily but is afraid of skin cancer so she loves to cover up when she is in the sun.

We found the perfect hat here. It was a large black and white hat with a huge brim that covered her shoulders. The hat was a nice tightly women construction and was even colapsible for easy packing. This was an easy buy and at a great price of only $45. Most of her hast are never under $120; so I was shocked the price was so low.

What to buy: Every hat you could imagine.

What to pay: A varying array of prices from $30-200.

Food Pantry: Snacks

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

Food Pantry is a grocery store that was conveniently located close to our hotel (Hyatt Waikiki). This was a great place to pick up some drinks and snacks for the room as well as for the plane ride home. Prices are typical for the area and they had some local specialties that we took home to enjoy.

Pualeilani Atrium Shops: A Nice Variety of Shops

by cjg1 Updated Feb 4, 2014

The Pualeilani Atrium Shops are located in the bottom 2 levels of the Hyatt in Waikiki. The highlight of the atrium area is the large fountain and the caged parrots on display.There is a nice assortment of shops and food options such as ABC stores, UGG, Crazy Shirt, Sunglass Hut and the like. My wife and I did some shopping here during our January 2014 trip and came home with somne nice purchases.

Island Olive Oil Company: A Taste of Aloha

by cjg1 Updated Feb 4, 2014

The Island Olive Oil Company was a favorite shop of ours during our most recent trip in January 2014. My wife loves to cook and is always looking for something new or different in the ingredients department. This store has an array of different olive oils, vingegars, spices and seasonings.

We spent some time talking to the salesman and trying some of the wares. Our favorite item was their Lilikoi sugar; unbelievably delicious. We wound up purchasing two large jars of this to bring back home. Our friends Bob and Barbara from Maui were with us and we received 10% off our purchase because they are Hawaii residents...nice!

Rix Island Wear: Aloha Themed Clothing

by cjg1 Updated Jan 31, 2014

Rix Island Wear is one of the stores located in the Pualeilani Atrium Shops at the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki. They have a large selection of island themed shirts for men as well as tees, pants and shorts.

My wife and I were passing by this store when a shirt in the window caught my eye. We went in so I could have a better look and my wife convinced me to try it on. It did look very nice and I loved the design of the fabric. It didn't take more than that to convince me to buy it at a reasonable price of $55.

Crazy Shirts: Tees

by cjg1 Updated Jan 29, 2014

Crazy Shirts is a store you can find on most of the Hawaiian islands as well as some stores on the mainland. They carry a variety of men's, women's and children's tee shirts, sweat shirts, pants, hats and water wear.

In particular I like their UV swim shirts. I am known to go from white to Lobster red with the slightest amount of sun; so these UV swim shirts give me the sun protection I need to better enjoy the beach or pool. I have several of these swim shirts; both long and short sleeved. They are nicely constructed and have good material. The prices aren't bad either with a short sleeve being $44 and a long sleeve being $46.

Our last visit to Oahu in January 2014; we found a nice UV swim shirt for my wife. It was a nice purple colored shirt that changed patterns when wet. It was a good buy at $38 and she enjoyed not getting burned while enjoying the beach.

Waikiki Christmas Store(CLOSED): The Place to buy Island Themed Ornaments

by cjg1 Updated Jan 19, 2014

My wife and I always buy a Christmas ornament when we travel as a souvenir of our trip. We found this particular store when we were shopping at the International Marketplace. The store is filled with a variety of tropical and island themed christmas ornaments. What I liked the best was they were all available for personalization; very nice.

We picked out a few ornaments for ourselves as well as one for Liz's Mom and our friend back home. As for our ornaments; one was a Hawaiian Santa with several hanging ornements of a surfboard, pineapple and some other pieces. My wife had it personalized to read our names and Hawaii Chris's Big 4-0 for my birthday. Our other ornament was a coconut with several umbrellas and straws in it; we just had our names and the date put on it. I also like that they have ornements for pets so we could have an ornament for our Stevie Cat back at home.

Personalization only took ten minutes and was well done. The prices here are very good with most ornaments in the $20 range.

Shops at the Hilton Hawaiian Village: A Little Bit of Everything

by cjg1 Updated Sep 12, 2013

My wife and I were in the mood to explore; so we decided to walk back towards the cruise ship terminal. Along our way we stopped into the Hilton Hawaiian Village to see what they had to ofer property wise. I must say that if you stay here you might never leave the resort. There are plenty of shops, dining options and entertainment to keep you captive on the resort property which is quite massive.

My wife and I wandered the property and explored the shopping venues. They had the usual shops you'd find in Oahu; ABC, Whaler's General Store, Maui Clothing Co., Tori Richards, Crazy Shirt,etc.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Coach Store: Searching for another great bag

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 13, 2013

I was on the lookout for a new Coach bag for the season and armed with my 25% off discount coupon I decided to pay them a visit.

As I entered the store I was greated by a really nice sales girl. She asked if there was something in particular I was looking for and if I needed assistance she would gladly assist. I mentioned the bag I was eyeing and she immediately when out searching for it. After a few minutes she approached me with the bag...wow, it was exactly the right color and size that I was looking for to match a pair of sandals I had bough back home. I asked if she should keep the bag at the counter while I continued to look around the store.

The Coach Store has a nice selection of bags, scarves, wallets, shoes, jewelry and accesories with prices ranging from affordorable to expensive. Most bags are very resaonble about $300 or so unless you decide to purchae a "limited edition" bag whick always set you back at leat $600.

I didn't see anything else I wanted and just purchased my bag. I had a 25% discount which was even better, making my purchase only $300.

What to buy: I purcahsed a beautiful seasonal bag to match a pair of sandals. Price was $375 with a 25% discount my purchase was a little over $300.

• Luxury Travel

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Crafts / Gift shops: Shops at Hilton Hawaiian Village

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 13, 2013

We were staying at the HIlton Hawaiian Village during one of our visits and the shops where an easy and convenient place to do a little shopping without having to hit Kakaul .

We shopped at a few of the stores here, like the ABC store were we picked up a bottle of wine, some water and snacks for an outing we were doing. We also stopped in at the KoKo Boutique where Ferni purchased for me some beautiful pool/beach cover-ups. The Honolulu Cookie was a great place to buy some yummy cookies for my sister and daughter and of course we stopped in at the Crazy Shirts to see if we found another t-shirt for Ferni.

What to buy: Clothing, gifts, jewelry, food, drinks, coffee, etc.

What to pay: Prices vary from store to store, but the prices can be on the higher end.

• Spa and Resort

3 Hotels
Aina Haina Hotels
Diamond Head State Monument Hotels

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Shopping

Reviews and photos of Oahu shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu