Fun things to do in Oahu

Volcano model

Most Viewed Things to Do in Oahu

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Exhibit Gallery: Attack

by cjg1 Updated Apr 20, 2015

One of the Exhibit Galleries at PH was one that highlighted the events leading up to the attack and including the attack. Old black and white photos and film are used throughout the exhibit which makes going back in history even more vivid. Maps, replicas of ships, aircraft and bombs are seens throughout the exhibit.

Hanauma Bay

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 26, 2015

Hanauma Bay is a spectacular nature reserve here in O'ahu. It's a key-hole shaped marine life conservation area formed by a volcanic cone. There are beautiful coral reefs teeming with marine life here and to preserve the future of this ecosystem entrance is restricted to a certain amount of visitors at any given time.

We drove from Waikiki to Hanauma Bay during one of our visits and we were happy that we arrived in time as the lot was getting filled and after the lot is full, entrance is prohibited. Only 300 spots are available for parking. Parking is $1.00 and once you've parked your car you pay an entrance fee of $7.50 per person (locals, O'ahu military and children under 12 are free). If this is your first time visiting of haven't visited in a few years there is a mandatory 9 minute video.

After you have seen the video you can either walk down a steep walkway or take the tram down to the bay. The tram is $1.00 doing down and $1.25 coming up. There are also facilities available as well as rental of lockers, life vests and snorkel gear. Small coolers are allowed in the park and there is also a snack bar at the top of the hill with a small selection of food like hot dogs and burgers, fries, salad and sandwiches.

Hanauma Bay is very beautiful and I had a great time during our visit. I was able to snorkel around the reefs and wee a myriad of sea life.

Remember to take towels, sunscreen, a small cooler with refreshments and snacks, change of clothing and your swim suit.

I would recommend you pay a visit to the bay either on your own or with a tour. The Hanauma Bay State Park provides narrated shuttles (at a price) which include transportation to/from hotels in Waikiki and snorkel gear. Entrance to the park is not included.

Beautiful Just breathtaking The beach and bay At the top of the entrance to the bay A little crowded

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Diamond Head Crater (Leahi)

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 26, 2015

Diamond Head, or Leahi is it is known by Hawaiian's, is Hawaii's most recognizable landmark and iconic fixture where all roads are measured by it's distance (jsut ask a local for directions, they will reference distance from Diamond Head)

This volcanic cone was given it's English name by sailors who mistook its glittering calcite crystals for diamonds. The cone is part of a series of volcanic eruptions that also created Punchbowl Crater, Hanauma Bay, Koko Head and Manana Island.

Diamond head is famous for it's historic hiking trial, amazing seacoast views and its military history. The state park can be visited daily from 6-6 and the entrance fee is a $5 car park fee. You can hike up to the top of the crater where you'll be rewarded with some of the most spectacular views of Oahu.

The hike to the top of the crater is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours so bring water and a good pair of walking shoes. There are benches and places to rest if you have difficulty making the climb.

Beautiful Diamond Head from Waikiki Beach Another great view Beautiful
    • Photography
    • Mountain Climbing

Kalakaua Avenue

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 26, 2015

Kalakaua Avenue is Waikiki's 2-mile long oceanfront street. The street is lined with hotels, restaurants, stores, shopping centers and is what I would call the center of Waikiki.

The streets are always jammed packed with pedestrians either shopping or walking around looking for places to eat or drink.

I enjoyed walking along Kalakaua Avenue, stopping in some of my favorite shops or grabbing a bite to eat or just some drinks.

• Spa and Resort

Enjoy some snorkeling

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 26, 2015

I enjoy being out in the water swimming and doing a little bit of snorkeling. Snorkeling is a fantastic way to get to see some of the creatures inhabiting the waters below without all that heavy scuba gear. During my last visit to Oahu we were staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and we were given a free snorkel tour.

We were taken out on a catamaran and dropped off at a location were there were plenty of fish. We even had the opportunity to see some turtles, which I always get excited about seeing. The tour was about 3 hours and it was a nice way to spend some time out in the water.

I have snorkel gear and always bring it along with me.

Out in the clear blue water And off we go exploring He, he, he....I think I spotted the turtles It was fun That's me, just enjoying the fish
    • Photography
    • Sailing and Boating

Explore the Island

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 25, 2015

A great way to see more of the island is to get out there and do some exploring. If you are based in Waikiki Beach, why not rent a car for the day, or take the bus to one of the other exciting places on the island.

I've rented a car a few times during our many visits because we wanted the ease of being able to drive around at our own pace and stop and admire the beauty of the island at our own time.

Oahu has some beautiful points of interest and great look out points where you feel you are all alone on the island.

These are just a few of the great places we've seen during our drive around Oahu:

Diamond Head
    Ko'olau Montain Range*

• Hiking and Walking

North Shore Kayaking in Haleiwa

by Marilu33 Written Mar 2, 2015

We really like Haleiwa. We went there often and spent time at the beach and the nearby marina. One of my goals while we were there was to do some kayaking and this was the best place we found to do that. There is a little shed there near the river that comes out into the bay where you can rent kayaks. The couple that run this activity are very nice. We visited with them several times and got their phone number so we could call and reserve a kayak. The phone number is on the front of their kiosk also. If you are using the Go Oahu card you will reserve through the number provided there and the only option is a 3 hour paddle. If you go through the agency that books people for them you will pay $40 for two hours, but If you deal with them directly you can rent for less time and a much cheaper price. She quoted me $15 for one hour, which I thought was very reasonable.
    Your kayak starts from the nearby marina and you paddle around the breakwater and beside the bay to get to the Anahulu River which runs by the marina. There are sea turtles in the water up the river, so be sure to bring a camera. You can also paddle around the nearby bay in front of the beach, but they don't allow the kayaks to go out into the open ocean.

There is a nice beach nearby as well with shower and bathrooms, and a park with picnic tables. The town itself is a lot of fun with beachy shops to browse through. There was a surfing competition going on there one day we were there, and since it was winter we saw some other great surfing moves on the big waves on other days we were at this beach.

Because of bad weather, holiday closures and time restrictions I didn't end up actually renting a kayak, but I felt like I familiarized myself enough with the activity to review it. I definitely would do this activity if I get back there again.

The Kayaking Kiosk in the marina parking lot Paddleboarders headed up the Anahulu Anahulu river with bay beyond Nearby swimming and surfing beach Picnicing in the nearby park
    • Kayaking

Hanauma Bay-Top Snorkeling Spot

by Marilu33 Written Feb 25, 2015

I ended up doing this almost my last day in Oahu, to my regret because it is the one thing I did there that I crave to go back and do more of.

The fish there are amazing! I got so many great photos and some video with my underwater camera. My two highlights were a full size Moray eel that swam all the way out of the rock in front of me, and a gigantic parrot fish that was at least 5-6 feet long.

You can see fish even just wading for those who don't want to snorkel. Rental equipment and lockers are available. I took a bus and found the busses are sometimes full and pass by without stopping in both directions, so it pays to go early and be patient. $2.50 is round trip, so keep the ticket the driver gives you for your ride back. Or, there is always a van that shows up ahead of the bus that will give you a ride one way for $5.

I got a good fish Identification book in the gift shop for $17. The tram is the best deal, unlimited rides up and down for$2. Lockers are expensive, $8 for small, $10 for large and access is via workers in the rental booth. Go to the drop of window to avoid the line when getting help with getting stuff in and out of your locker, or better still, don't bring anything that needs to be locked up.
    There is a kiosk with volunteers and lots of photos of fish if you need help identifying what you see. When I was there they were also pointing out the whales that were spouting and surfacing outside the mouth of the bay.
    I would go back to Oahu in a heartbeat just to go to Hanauma Bay over and over again.

On the beach Surgeon Fish 5-6  long foot Ember Parrot Fish Parrot Fish Reef Triggerfish

Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum

by Marilu33 Written Feb 22, 2015

This is a great cultural and natural science museum. Admission is $15-$20 depending on age. This is a good destination for the Go Oahu card also. I planned three hours for this visit, and regretted not going earlier so I had the option to stay longer. There are programs and presentations throughout the day that are fascinating, so go early and plan for the day just in case. If you have less time, check the schedule of events on the website and plan your visit so you can go to the ones you are most interested in.

The museum campus includes several buildings. The old castle type building houses Hawaiian cultural exhibits and special exhibits related to life on the islands. I enjoyed everything in this building and spent the most time there. It is all really well presented and explained and includes some hands on experiences.

In the building you first enter there is a gift shop and the planetarium. I attended 'The Skies Tonight' program and really enjoyed it. They have nice up to date technology to create a great experience. I got a fish ID book and some native craft Christmas ornaments at the shop. They also have some great clothing and many other interesting items.

There is a temporary exhibit hall next to the Main exhibit building, but I didn't have the time for that exhibit. Instead I headed around the big central lawn and headed for the modern styled science building instead. This building features information about the geology, plants and animals of the islands. Kids will love this building the best. There is a volcano model complete with sound effects that you can go into, a big snail to climb on and other interactive representations of native flora, fauna and geology. The best feature is the tunnel down to the Hot Spot. The sights and sounds create a scene of native life by the sea where you descend into the undersea depths where lava flows and explodes building new island land. It ends in the Hot Spot where the molten rock furnace is.

Be sure to catch a Hot Spot presentation where you can learn about volcanoes, especially of the type that created/creates the Hawaiian chain. The presenter has plenty of rock samples to pass around to the onlookers while a nearby furnace roars and emanates heat as it melts rock into actual simulated magma. The climax of the show comes when the presenter gets into moon man style heat gear, opens the furnace and pours out and manipulates the molten rock. Kids will go crazy, and adults too, for that matter.

I took The Bus to get to the museum and back, there is a bus stop a block away, and also plenty of parking if you drive there. Open Wednesday to Monday 9-5.

The Main building, houses cultural exhibits the main room of the main building The science building, snail, volcano, animals Kahili-feather standard display room Molten rock in the Hot Spot
    • Museum Visits

Iolani Palace

by Marilu33 Written Feb 22, 2015

I did the audio tour. They start every 15 minutes. It was excellent, very well done with options for deeper information or cruising through on just the basics. They also have several guided tours during the day that would probably also be interesting and informative.

I learned so much about the more recent history of Hawaii, the monarchy and how Hawaii's kings and queens brought the islands into the modern world and even surpassed other monarchies on occasion. For example the palace was lit with electric lights before Buckingham Palace or the White House.

The building and rooms have been wonderfully restored and furnished and I came away with a better understanding of Hawaii's political history and some of the culture of the islands.

Look on the grounds for the burial tomb behind a fence and nearby stone alter to offer respect to past residents of the palace.

The grounds are lovely and peaceful, a good place to relax if you've been walking around a lot. I looked for geocaches nearby while I was there and went next door to see the state legislature building which is also very interesting and photo worthy. There is a war memorial garden on the grounds of the legislature building that is lovely and a nice shady place to sit. You will see a few homeless people around, (like most public areas) but they seem to be sleeping or sitting around and don't approach visitors.

The Halekoa Kings Guard Barracks building next to the palace where you buy the tour tickets has bathrooms and a gift shop. Several bus lines have stops nearby and it is easy to get there by bus.

Iolani Palace decorated for Christmas Stone alter near Royal Burial site Throne room/Ballroom Palace Staircase Music Room
    • Castles and Palaces

Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery

by Marilu33 Written Feb 22, 2015

My brother and I enjoyed a visit to the Punchbowl National Memorial Cemetery in 2007. I was impressed with how beautifully everything is kept, the magnificent memorial, and the view from the rim. I love the trees that look like they are trimmed into a half bowl shape, and the trees that are trained to grow in a circle of leaves at the base of the monument.

If you go, be sure to take the path up to the view point on the edge of the crater that makes up the rim of the Punchbowl. You will find a panoramic view of Honolulu, the harbor, Waikiki, Diamond Head, the suburbs, and the mountains that go down the center of the island.

Circle tree Check out the shadow of these trees From Viewpoint back over the cemetery Beautiful trees in the Punchbowl

Waimea Valley-Botanical, Cultural Paradise

by Marilu33 Written Feb 19, 2015

We arrived at Waimea Valley in the early afternoon and stopped first at their food venue to have big juicy hamburgers with all the fixings. They also had a gift shop, but we passed that by and went on to get our tickets. We were lucky that it was a military appreciation day, so between that and being seniors we got in for much less than the usual admission fee. We would have felt the full fee was worth it though. We also bought a ride on the tram out to the falls. Most folks choose to walk and enjoy visiting the many garden areas on their way, but we don't do well with long amounts of walking so it was great to have the option to ride.

You can swim in the pool at the base of the falls with lifeguard permission. They have life jackets available and a place to change. The falls were beautiful and it looked like the swimmers were having a lot of fun.

The tram stop outside the falls had some displays of native artifacts and a couple of local women there making handicrafts and able to answer questions. They were having trouble with one of the antiquated trams so we spent a bit of extra time at that spot.

We only had time to explore a few of the gardens, but we really enjoyed all we did see. We both really liked the reconstructed village site and learning from the interpretive signs there about what life was like on the island anciently. I was fascinated with the Ahupua'a system that divided the land up into pie shaped regions where the different elevations down to the sea supported all kinds of necessary occupations allowing the inhabitants to share the products of their labor and thrive together as a community and how organized their governing of the land was.

I wish we had time to see more there and would allot more time on another visit.

Check the website for more details.

Waterfall and swimmers Native display and crafts for sale Cannonball Tree-one of many species featured here Endangered Hawaiian Moorhen-plentiful at Waimea Living homesite With garden and Taro

Germaine's Luau-An Enjoyable Evening

by Marilu33 Written Feb 10, 2015

Germaine's was one of the Luau options on the Go Oahu card. Since we'd done the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on our previous trip to Hawaii, we decided to try a different one this time. It is a good choice for getting value from the price of the card. I read some reviews of the experience so we were forewarned that even though it is on the beach is isn't in the most picturesque part of town. Most guests catch a bus in Waikiki, but we had a previous activity booked at Kualoa ranch on the windward side and didn't have time in between to get back to Waikiki to catch a bus. Since we had a rental car it was no problem. We also wanted to get there before the busses arrived so we could get a good seat near the stage.

The reviews didn't exaggerate, the area around the Luau site is very industrial, though there is a nice shopping center not too far away. Once we got parked though the screening trees blocked the unattractive view completely. It isn't that hard to forget the outside world and become immersed in the luau experience.

The whole operation is very professional and designed to create an entertaining evening of touristy Hawaiian fun. They do this 6 days a week, (closed on Mondays) , year round, so they it down pat. We got our good seats near the stage and gave away our included three drink tickets since we are soda drinkers. Unlimited soda is included with the meal. While my husband got our sodas I went to the beach, which ironically had a barrier rope and a sign asking guests to stay off the beach. The view was lovely though. The sun was low in the sky and worth a couple of photos.

We got to know our table mates and soon the bus loads of 'cousins' arrived and found their seats. There is a lot of rah-rah in the program to do with the different busses, pumping up a lot of spirit and noise. Our group was the Drive in group of course. Liberal use of the terms 'family' and 'Cousins' are designed to promote a feeling of an island backyard barbecue with family. If you don't mind the corniness and get in the spirit of it, it can be fun.

Entertainment starts soon after the busses arrive, with the blowing of the conch, and the royal procession. I liked that they included some island history and cultural information in the program. After some initial dancing while guests got their drinks, we were invited to come to the area where they open the pit where the pig was roasting. interesting cultural background accompanies the opening of the pit and removal of the chicken wire encased roasted pig which is eventually carried off to be cut up and served with the rest of the food.

More entertainment was presented until time to eat. Families with children and those with disabilities are invited to go through the line first. Then they come around and invite several tables at a time go go to the buffet line. We got the good seats, we also got the seats that were invited to go eat the very last. We got directed into a line and while we waited I got some nice shots of the sunset sky with palm trees silhouetted against it.

The hostess when orienting us to the food assured us that there was plenty of food to eat as much as we wanted but asking us to wait to get seconds when that option was announced. When we got up to the buffet it turned out that they were getting ready to consolidate the food onto the middle buffet line so they weren't re-supplying the food. No one seemed to notice or care that at least four of the main items on the buffet were completely gone. I pointed out the empty pineapple slaw pan and they brought some over, but after that I just skipped the other items and saw that they were pulling the remnants of the other pans behind us and moving them over to the other line. Maybe they announced seconds as we were filling our plates because I never heard that announcement after we sat down. Despite the missing items I had plenty to eat and the food was good. I didn't need seconds, and didn't see anyone at our table go back either.

Pretty soon after we started eating the real show began. It was dark by then and they used their lighting to good effect as they did numbers from various island cultures. The fire dance was especially impressive, but all the dancing was very good and very entertaining. I'd suggest bringing a cushion if you can though, the picnic benches get pretty hard before the program is done.

When the evening was done we were able to get out and to our car with no difficulty and got going before the busses were filled and on their way. My husband was extremely pleased with the whole experience.

Pre dinner show Seating for the Luau Evening view from the Beach The Pig roasting pit After Dinner Show

Makani Catamaran Sail-Honolulu

by Marilu33 Written Feb 4, 2015

Since this tour is available 365 days a year, we signed up for it to go on New Year's day for their 1pm Go Oahu Card sailing. In the winter the chance of rain is higher, but luckily we had sunshine out on the water for the whole ride, though there were some threatening clouds that were approaching as we were returning.

The boat is really nice. They had us gather below in the inside cabin while they got ready to sail. During that time the bar was open so we could redeem our drink coupons for mixed drinks or sodas. We were also able to buy additional drinks. They have bathrooms with full sized normal flush toilets which is unusual for a boat this size.

Once the safety talk was over we were able to go anywhere on the boat except the crew work area on the top or too far forward on the tramps. The tramps also had a max capacity of four people each. I snagged a bow spot near the tramps which gave a great view but could be a little damp from spray, which I didn't mind because the water and air are warm. It also had a curve that I could snug into and stay more secure as the boat rode the swells.

Once we got out of the marina, the crew put up the sails and cut the engines, and then we really took off. It was exhilarating! We went out at least a mile or more from shore and roughly parallel to shore, enjoying the view and watching for wildlife. The only wildlife we saw was a school of tiny fish that jumped out and 'flew' for short distances over the surface, but the view was wonderful the whole way. Some sailings encounter sea turtles and dolphins. We were right under the flight path, so there were planes flying over, and we could see other boats around us, including getting close to some parasailers. I imagine the sunset ride is spectacular.

On the way back we were hitting some swells and that was a lot of fun, it was like a theme park ride. Two hours is a good amount of time for enjoying the water, the boat and the view. I recommend this for a great on the water experience. The crew and captain were friendly, helpful and professional. This is an exceptional value on the Go Oahu card.

The Makani catamaran Getting out of the marina Under Sail! The view Heading back into the Marina
    • Sailing and Boating

Secret Island Beach getaway Tour

by Marilu33 Written Feb 4, 2015

We signed up for an experience at Kualoa Ranch using a Go Oahu card which allows one tour at the ranch per day. The Secret Island Beach tour is a good value for this because of the amount of time you have for it. Basically the tour consists of three hours on their private beach on the other side of the ancient fish pond behind their Tropical Farms. This is a chance to spend several hours on a private beach where you can kayak, paddleboard, snorkel, lounge in a hammock among other activities like volleyball and horse shoes. I noticed their site is now mentioning a glass bottomed boat, but I think that is new since our visit.

Like the Ocean tour, which leaves from the same beach, we were transported by bus from the main Kualoa Ranch site down to the dock behind Tropical Farms where we were taken on a short catamaran ferry to the other side of the ancient fish pond which was originally the foundation of the shore that makes up the Secret Island beach. When we got to the other side we were shown a small barge tied up to a nearby dock with some porta potties, which I thought was a good way to handle sanitation for such a remote spot, but for those who want a less rustic kind of beach accommodation, you might want to be aware of this part. I didn't have need for them, so I can't report on their condition, but I assume they are on a barge so they can easily be taken to be serviced or replaced on a regular basis. I went over an took photos of them and there was no odor of any kind.

There is a kind of 'lost island' feel to the beach area. We walked through the sandy floored woods and our guide/lifeguard pointed out the changing rooms, which were simple wooden booths. A rope wrapped outdoor shower similar to other cold water beach showers on the island was nearby. The area next to the beach is treed with picnic tables under shade shelters. The fringe of trees nearest the beach are palm trees with a whole line of hammocks waiting.

Snorkel gear is available and life jackets are supplied and required for kayaking and paddle boarding. The kayaks and paddleboards on the beach are basic and look heavily used, but were functional and popular. Like other rentals I saw on the island the kayaks don't have seats installed, so there is no back support for the paddlers. My husband found this too hard on his back and lasted only a few feet before we had to go back, but I went on to paddle around by myself and really enjoyed it. There is a reef far off shore that keeps there from being any kind of heavy waves in this area.

I tried snorkeling, but the big storm that happened two days before or some other factor had the water stirred up, and there was no visibility so I soon gave that up. Our guide said that mornings are better there for snorkeling.

Eventually there was a hammock open and I spent the last hour of our beach time resting in the hammock and enjoying the view.

The Secret Island beach tour is currently $35, which I thought was reasonable for the facilities and activities provided. Be sure to stop by Tropical Farms before or after your beach tour and for free samples of macadamias and coffee. The pearl shop there has some great stuff too.

There are snacks for sale at the ranch store or you can bring your own food. I brought my own snorkel gear and life jacket, but really all you need is your beach towel and sunscreen. Water is provided in a jug with cups, but you can also bring your own sodas or juices. There are lockers available for a reasonable price in the area where the bus pick up is at the main ranch.

Oh, by the way, the view is fantastic! In one direction you can see the far end of the bay and Chinaman's Hat Island, and the other direction is a misty range of island mountains that make up the other arm of the bay. We could also see a section of Kamehameha Highway where The Poi Factory is located. That is not a factory, it is a place to get take out local ethnic Hawaiian food with some outdoor tables. Check my review for that. We went there after the beach to eat. Our lifeguard had pointed it out to my husband during a conversation about local foods.

Secret Island Beach Hammocks! View from beach of Chinaman's Hat Island Outdoor beach shower Bathrooms with a view
    • Kayaking

63 Reviews - 176 Photos
Laie Hotels
20 Reviews - 35 Photos

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Oahu things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu