Getting Around Oahu

Enjoying our upgrade (January 2014)
  • Flights
  • Flights

Most Viewed Transportation in Oahu

Hawaiian Airlines

by Yaqui Updated Jul 5, 2014

We have been saving our points for many years through our American Airlines Visa card. So when the discussion came up what airlines we were going to take. So we went all out and bought two first class tickets with the points we saved. We were totally elated with the comfort and services Hawaiin Airlines provided. They feed you a lot, with all the drinks you want. You have your own movie screen with a huge selection to watch. Plus, I enjoyed the hourly update of the distance and time of your departure and arrival to your destination. With having the upgraded service, you have your own waiting area called Premier Services where they have drinks, snacks and restrooms. We've have begun saving for our next travel adventure.

I don't travel a lot on airlines that much anymore because I am prone to leg cramps and I have RA. I feel bad for anyone sitting next to me because I have to get up and stretch or I am in pain, so I take the isle seat usually.

Waikiki Trolley

by Yaqui Written May 10, 2014

There are many different types of trolley services. Waikiki Trolley offers many types of tours that will take you to many areas of the island.

This particular trolley is called JALPAK original Rainbow Trolley & Rainbow Sky. They were ALL over and they cater to the Japanese tourist who may not speak English.

TheBus

by Yaqui Written May 10, 2014

We do a lot of exploring by walking, yet while exploring Waikiki you will notice loads of different type of transportation, especially the bus services. The city buses we saw everywhere more than others. If you choose to use this service, make sure to check there web site. Lots of extra services they provide is wondeful, especially for people with disabilities called the TheHandi-Van.

Honolulu International Airport

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

Honolulu International Airport (HNL) is the major airport on Oahu. You'll find just about every domestic and international carrier flies in and out of HNL. The airport is very nice and tries to incorporate the culture of the islands with various art pieces throughout the airport.

There are plenty of shops and places to grab a bite to eat before boadring a long flight home to the mainland. I like that there are so many open air spaces in the airport that allows for the nice breezes to come through. It is as if you are getting a last bit of Hawaii before going home(usually to not great weather).

VIP Transportation

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

My wife arranged transportation to and from Oear Harbour with this company. They provide airport shuttles and other drop off points as well. We were scheduled to be picked up at 6am from the Hyatt Waikiki. The cost was $18 for the two of us roundtrip. When the driver pulled up and called out our names he gave us a weird look. he said" You know it doesn't open until 8am so why are you getting picked up now?". My wife explained we were told to get there early as the lines get long. This was greated with an eye roll. he then radioed his dispatcher with"yeah, I told them they are too early but they want to go". Really?! This is how this is beginning.

When we arrived at Pearl Harbour and saw the line of people my wife exclaimed "See ther is a line; and I'm glad we are early". He handed us a return ticket for pick up that had the return times posted (11am; 12:30pm, 1:20pm and 4pm). he said there was no need to call as "someone" is always here at these times. I had a bad feeling about that...

So after we toured Pearl Harbour, we headed over to the designated area for pickup around 3:45pm. Another couple was also there waiting for the same company. Well 4pm came and went, my wife called and the dispatcher said they were running late. 4:30 came and went and still no driver. My wife called yet again and was told they were 5 minutes away. so at 4:45pm the driver finally showed up with another co-worker in tow in the front seat. No greeting; no nothing; just handed her our return voucher.

We had to make a "stop" to drop off this additional co-worker of the driver before we made the stops for the other couple at the Hawaiian Village and then ours at the Hyatt. After this experience I will probably not use this company again and definitely will not recommend it.

Admirals Club Honolulu International Airport

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

This Admirals Club is hardly a club at all. It's a room with small snacks and very limited drink options. Seating is quite limited and not very comfortable. The bathrooms here are quite nasty; the gen pop bathrooms are better. I was not at all impressed by this club and probably will chose to sit and wait with the masses instead in the future.

Take a Taxi

by cjg1 Updated Feb 5, 2014

I have often used taxis to get to and from the airport. Taxis are easy to obtain and there is a well organzed taxi stand right outside of the airport after baggage claim. Rate have varied on each trip but our most recent trip we paid $37 dollars for a one way trip without the trip. Shuttles are a more affordable option but sometimes I just don't want the hassle.

On our way to the hotel Hooray air conditioing...

American Airlines To Oahu

by cjg1 Updated Feb 4, 2014

American Airlines is our preferred carrier. Most flights from New York connect with Dallas, LA or Chicago and then on to Oahu. I have used all three as connection points and prefer LAX over the other two options.

Be forewarned; that AA treats this flight as it does all other domestic flights when flying coach. This means despite the long haul to Hawaii; there is no provided meal service; there are snacks/meals for purchase though. My wife is always prepared and makes sure to bring ample snacks to keep hunger at bay during the flight.

Our last flight to Hawaii was quite nice with upgrades clearing from JFK to LAX and from LAX to Honolulu. It was a comfortable way to go especially with the nice large seats, decent meals and some champagne before take off. We were able to watch some movies and enjoy a bit of sleep before we hit some major turbulence before landing.

Enjoying our upgrade (January 2014)

Arrival Via Cruise Ship

by cjg1 Updated Dec 17, 2013

Cruising to Hawaii was a first for my wife and I. We are both accustomed to arrivial by plane. We arrived in Oahu via Celebrity's Century; this was our first port of the 15 night cruise from San Diego.

We arrived in Oahu around 5:30 am. It was great sitting on our balcony in our robes as we pulled into port; watching the Aloha Tower get closer and closer into view. We disembarked the ship a little after 7am and spent the whole day until Midnight before departing for our next port which was Maui.

On our Sky Suite Balcony (aloha Tower behind) My wife enjoying the morning Our ship As we pulled in pre-dawn Pulling into port in my bathrobe

Wahiawa-Circle Island Bus

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

If you decide you'd like to see a bit of Oahu but you really don't want to rent a car the hop on the popular bus #52 Wahiawa-Circle Island which will take you to places like Pearl Harbor, Waimea, Sunset Beach and Turtle Bay as well as circuling around the east par of the cost and then it returns to Waikiki. You can get on the bus and not get off which will take about 5 hours or you can stop at any of the locations mentioned above. The bus operates daily from about 6.30 a.m. until 8.30 p.m.

For a more detail description of the buses and locations, check out the link below.

• Hiking and Walking

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Hawaiian Airlines to the other islands

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

I've visited three of the outer islands, The Big Island, Kaui and Maui and on all of these visits I have flown Hawaiian Airlines. They have a very large selection of times flying all of the island airports with competitive prices.

We've been lucky to get some really good prices with times that worked for us. During our last trip to Maui we paid about $85 rt which is about the average price we have paid on our past trips.

They have some excellent specials and you just may be able to grab a $39 one way deal to some of the islands, just make sure to book your flights in advance.

Check out their website for current specials and the available prices.

Flight ready for boarding Flying high Airport murals
    • Water Sports
    • Luxury Travel

Reliable Shuttle

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

The shuttle is a great and inexpensive way to get to/from Waikiki and the airport. The shuttle takes you directly to your hotel.

From the baggage area at the airport, pick up the phone and dial directly to the shuttle service which will pick you up at a designated area. You can also dial toll free, or arrange it at your hotel with your concierge.

Prices vary depending on location of drop-off or pick-up, but we paid $15 one way each to and from the Sheraton.

• Spa and Resort

Exploring on foot

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

We always do a lot of walking whenever we travel to Oahu. Since we usually stay in a centrally located hotel along Kalakaua Avenue everything we enjoy is within walking distance, like most hotels, restaurants, shops and nightlife. Besides, who wants to be stuck in a cab or bus when the weather is great for walking?

Ferni and I like exploring new places, and walking usually allows us to stop in at our leisure at a bar, shop or restaurant.

Walking around the Hilton
    • Photography
    • Spa and Resort

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Explore the island, rent a car

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

I have rented a car four times on seven visits to Oahu and I will say that it is a great way to explore the island on your own. I do like to explore as much as I can the other parts of the isalnd and I would recommend that if you are looking into renting a car then do your homework and if at all possible, reserve your car ahead of time, especially if you are traveling during peak season. You can find rental car companies in Waikiki if you decide later on to rent a car, but my advice is to rent the car at the airport location, where you will get a more competitive price.

You can find all the major rental car companies which make the prices quite competitive.
    The first time we rented a car, the rental company, which I think was Avis, in Waikiki had rates about $30 more per day. We decided to call the airport location and we got better rates.

On my last trip, I made the car rental reservations with a car rental company on line. The rental company was Thrifty, what gave us the best available rate for about $35 including damage waiver protection. It was well worth the added expensive and effort to pick up the car from the rental location at the airport, but we were able to save money while still being able to explore the rest of Oahu at our own pace and leisure.

If you have a favorite rental car company that you prefer, you will definitely find them at the airport. If you didn't make reservations prior to arriving, you can still rent a car if you go to the kiosks at the airport and dial the company on their direct phone line reservation centers.

Quick glimpse of the mountains Driving to the North Shore Ah...the open road
    • National/State Park

Waikiki Trolley

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 14, 2013

The Waikiki Trolley has been driving people around since 1980 and covers some of the major historical attractions and shopping. There are 4 main routes: Honolulu City Line/Historical Tour (Red); Ocean Coast Line/Panoramic Tour (Blue); Scenic/Diamond Head Tour (Yello) and; Ala MOana Shoppin Shuttle (Pink).

Depending on your desire, there are day and multi day passes and different price ranges. Check out their website for a full detail of prices (i.e. a combo day pass for red and pick is $25 per adult, $15 per child 4-11).

I personally didn't ride the trolley, but this can be a good way for any visitor to travel.

The Waikiki Trolley

18 Reviews - 46 Photos
Ewa Beach Hotels
3 Reviews - 20 Photos

Instant Answers: Oahu

Comments

Oahu Transportation

Reviews and photos of Oahu transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oahu sightseeing.
Map of Oahu