one of the MUST do in Hawaii! what i saw was so many people carrying surfboard and rushing to the sea. sad that those days didn't have any big waves for professional to show off their talents and skills.
Equipment: surfboard for sure! you can rent it at the beach
they also provide lesson for beginners.
this is one of the dangerous but something you must do once if your lifetime. imagine you were a fish and see other creatures in the water and swim freely... that was an amazing experience to do scuba. it's totally different from snorkeling as it's in the water, not floating on the water. if you are catching cold, it is not a sport for you as your ears feel very painful as you cannot equalize yourself in the water.
Equipment: in general, when you go to scuba center, they will provide everything you need. May be you only need to bring will be towel, sun block, water and snacks.
- Diving and Snorkeling
Surfing lessons, why not to do it on your own?
After researching all the possibilities and prices of surfing lessons I decided to try it on my own. Here is what I did and advice you to do:
1) surfing lessons at Hilton Hawaiian Village start at 9 am, 11 am, and 1 pm. I stationed myself on the beach in the nearest place I could to watch beginners doing those “moves on waves” jumping on and off the board on the sand. Comments of instructors were very useful in understanding how to jump on the board, how to keep your legs and balance.
2) After a couple of lessons, we went across the beach and started asking questions safe guards about spots with good waves, and also about techniques of surfing. One guy was the sweetest guy I met in Waikiki Beach. He was excited to talk about surfing so he showed me right away on the deck of safeguard cabin how to wait for wave, to paddle and balance.
3) I rented a board and ran into the water. A couple of falls, one sorry-for-I-almost-kill-you-with-my board and a couple of oops-good-the-water-is-not-the-cement-I-fall-again I caught some waves and it was the greatest enjoyment I had that day. I spent all day on the water and believe me, there were a couple of even large waves on my account woo hooo
So the final advice is – try and try, and you will do it.
- School Holidays
Surfing boards and lessons on Waikiki beach
The paradise for surfers, at least for beginners. If you want bigger waves you have to go to North Shore (Hale’iwa – the Surfing Capital of the world (according to the map of the Island of Oahu map)). There is no problem to find a surf board or surfing classes on the shore of Waikiki Beach.
The prices are different as well as the type of services. Surfing boys of Hilton Hawaiian Village will offer 2 hours class (boards are provided) with handsome tanned instructors who first will show moves on the beach and then assist in the ocean. Heading to the Diamond Head prices really vary from $50 to $30 per hour. The best prices, by the advice of local guys, are near police station which is close to Sheraton hotel. We found a guy who offers surfing classes for $30 and then you may have his board for free for all day (look for a guy with beard). Other options given by owners of surfing business are: photos of you while you clumsily get on the board, discount for your first board rent etc. So there are plenty of the opportunities to find the right price and service for you.
If you have just first thoughts to step on the board and roll on the top of the way, and you are looking for the lessons, please refer to my tip “Surfing lessons? Why not to do it on your own?”
- Water Sports
I was leaving for the submarine ride and capturing ocean scenes from the back of the ship.
I love to see the sail boats on the Waikiki ocean, what fun it would be. But, I was off for my first submarine ride - first for me also.
- Sailing and Boating
- Family Travel
Surfing on Waikiki
Many locals and tourists surf off of Waikiki beach.
Equipment: Surf boards, these are pictured at the Moana Hotel in Waikiki
- Water Sports
There are many types of crafts to sail in Hawaii.
I love the colorful green sail on this boat. The colors in Hawaii are fabulous.
- Family Travel
Hawaii has the most perfect ocean and waves for surfing.
Here is a picture of a surfer who just came in from the ocean. I would love to learn to surf. The waves here in Hawaii are HUGE!
- Budget Travel
- Family Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.