Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo

Honolulu Zoo

by Ericasmurf99 Updated Apr 12, 2011

It was a nice place to walk around. It's smaller than other zoos I've been to, but still nice. There was a huge kids area (play ground and petting zoo) but it was OVER RUN by kids...so we didn't go near there. I think unfortunetly we were there during a school field trip. Snack bar is of course expensive, but this is the only zoo that I know of that allows you to bring your own food/drink inside, which is nice. Parking is $1.00 an hour. General admission is $12, but military and senior is $6, and under 3 is free.

• Zoo

• malianrob's Profile Photo

The Honolulu Zoo

by malianrob Written Aug 7, 2009

I had been to Hawaii many times and have never visited this place until now. We were staying at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel that is right acroos the street from the zoo. Our hotel unit was not ready so we left our bags at the hotel and we went walking around. We went acroos the street to the Kapiolani park then into the Honolulu Zoo. It looks small but it is bigger than expected. It is a 42 acre zoo and its opened from 9am to 4:30 pm everyday. Admission is about $8 children are admitted for $1 and children under 5yrs are free. This makes coming to the zoo very affordable.
    My youngest son really loved it. He is 5 yrs old and he was so excited to see the animals, see how they feed and especially to see the huge elephants that are at the zoo.
    My older kids thought it was alright but I liked it. The zoo is home to nearly 1,000 mammals, birds & reptiles.

• Tropical paradise

by hollyday Written May 15, 2004

The thing I remeber most about my visit to this zoo was how lush and green everything was.
    The zoo grounds seemed to be dripping with leafy trees, flowers and long grasses and the animal enclosures were quite large and had plenty of wilderness areas for the animals comfort.

The zoo was undergoing a few reconstructions during my visit so quite a few exhibits were out of bounds or empty but I enjoyed most of what we did see.

Loved the Gibbons, they had a well thought out enclosure which had NO fences or cages. It was an island with a great big wooden jungle gym which the gibbons obviously enjoyed. They were charging around playing what loooked like tag and having a great time.

The elephants on the other hand weren't looking like they were too happy, one was amusing itself by swinging a tyre and then placing it and stepping in and out before resuming the swinging once more.

All in all I thought this zoo was pretty good as far as animal welfare goes, the hippo exhibit is worth the entrance fee alone. When we visited the hippos were having a bit of a play fight right up on the viewing glass. Woo-hoo, getting that close to the gaping hippo's mouth was a real treat.

The zoo is located across the road from the beachand is an easy walk from most of the Waikiki hotels.

• geekgrrl's Profile Photo

Great Zoo!

by geekgrrl Written Apr 5, 2004

Giraff with high rise

I love zoos and have been to them all over the world. This is a really great zoo! I love the bird exhibits and the monkeys! The African Savannah is also a very good area in the zoo.

• Zoo

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Honolulu Zoo

by Kodi01 Updated Feb 20, 2004

Pink flamingos

Pink flamingos in paradise.

I love this zoo as they have the animals set up in their natural environments or so it seems.

• Eco-Tourism